HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden looks like a goner, Avery maybe

Old
04-14-2010, 10:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Dude, what the hell happened to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
What? You out of all the people. How could you?

Hahaha, yeah.

Look, I love Sean Avery, and I think he can be and is a big part of the success that we have. But I'm under no delusions that he's central to our foundation, or that he must be a part of the team moving forward. He's a third line "superpest" that can fill in on the second line if necessary. But he's still prone to some inconsistency, and doesn't seem to get along with our coach that well.

I really, really hope we keep Avery around...he's a good player, who seems to have toned down the antics that can occasionally prove detrimental to the team, he can score a bit, and distract the opposition like no one else in the game. That said, losing him wouldn't be the end of the world.

EDIT: Also, when he's gone, I won't have to defend him against outlandish claims about what he is an isn't. That will be nice.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
What kind of bridge do you build that solves a cap problem like Reddens?
Again, Tortorella's job isn't cap management. It's player management.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Prust is no where as talented as Avery. Prust will never hit 30 plus points in a season. I'm sorry if people are expecting Prust to score they are going to be disappointed. Any scoring Prust gives you should be viewed as a bonus.

Avery still had 31 points 1 less point than Drury. Avery was very good and looked like the old Avery after getting bench. He also stood up for his teamates he fought Carcillo. He is hardly the problem but we know the coach isn't the biggest fan. The need to keep both Prust and Avery next year. People want the rangers to be a tougher team than keep Prust, Avery and Shelley and they will be a much more grit in the lineup.
I like the idea of keeping the tougher guys for sure...

OMG seeing that math in print is numbing

Chris Drury 31 +1 = 32 pts

ouch

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The Avery stuff is most likely posturing. They know the best way to get the guy motivated is to try to piss him off, not many better ways to do that over the course of an offseason than to pretty much say it's not a guarantee he'll be brought back.
This is my thinking as well.

I don't know that he needs it, as he appeared to "get it" after he was benched, but I still think that's what's going on here.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I know you're probably joking, but just so everyone understands, this is not an option. Players on 1 way contracts cannot be sent to the ECHL.
To be more exact: Only players on an entry-level contract can be sent to the ECHL without their consent. All others (Redden) can refuse playing there.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Which is too bad because Redden in the ECHL would be hilarious.

Ive got a lot of old friends in that league and its pretty mediocre. They guys there not cut out physically for the AHL or just have little top end ability.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:41 AM
The Thomas J.*

I've read on several threads that Auld will not be back, did the Rangers make that announcement already, or is that speculation?

I like Avery alot, he disapointed in me this season with his new laid back apporach & his low goal total. I know he is better than that, the entire team was inept in scoring goals, when Avery wasn't trying to score he was trying to set guys up, Avery is a hell of a passer & I would be remicsd to see him traded.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'll take Prust and whatever few points he can get over Avery and his 30 whatever points and attitude that pisses people off.

I like Avery's game when he's on, but he's not nor should he be what makes this team a winner and there's a reason teams eventually get sick of him.

Its like the Circus, the kids love the clown, the adults get tired of it real quick. And Sather the ringmaster tries to distract the fans with sideshows like Avery that way we don't notice the mediocrity of his time here.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Salz

Cap question: if we demote him during training camp, we free up 6.5 million to use during the season, right? So what happens when the season ends.. does he still count on the AHL roster and not against our cap so we can maybe splurge a little in the 2010-2011 offseason?

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'll take Prust and whatever few points he can get over Avery and his 30 whatever points and attitude that pisses people off.

I like Avery's game when he's on, but he's not nor should he be what makes this team a winner and there's a reason teams eventually get sick of him.
Pretty much how I feel, Blue.

All Avery posts are now prefaced with If Avery's on.....he could be a good player....he can be a factor....he can be a difference maker....etc

Problem is, hes been "on" less and less throughout his tenure here. Prust, during his short time here, was certainly a more consistent factor in games than Avery.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Avery on his struggles... http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...avery_and_a.v/

Quote:
- The quick summary is that Avery felt it took him a long time this season to get comfortable and figure out exactly how he should be playing, finding that balance between being his agitating best and not running afoul of coach John Tortorella’s desire to see him stay on the right side of the line.

“I think I had some good games, some bad games, some just OK games,” Avery added. “I’m certainly not ecstatic about my year. I’m disappointed with the consistency. I was trying to find my game, trying to feel comfortable with what was asked of me.”

Avery said he tried to stay within himself.

“Probably too much, if anything,” Avery said. “That’s what took awhile, to find where I needed to be. I’m disappointed it didn’t happen sooner. The good thing is it did happen and that’s something i can sit with over the summer.”

And Avery believes it should lead to him starting next season at that level of comfort with his play and how he needs to play. Missing the playoffs should provide everybody’s motivation for the summer

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Who else would he have been talking about?

Once Tortorella went public with his dislike for Kotalik, there was no turning back. Hard for me to see how he and Redden continue to co-exist.

Yah, well, I'm not a believer that the Tortorella method works for everyone.

I do believe that Redden can be a functional part of a good team.
But at what cost? the $6.5 it costs per year is impeading us from going out & improving the team in other areas. Redden HAS to go.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChrisModem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
Cap question: if we demote him during training camp, we free up 6.5 million to use during the season, right? So what happens when the season ends.. does he still count on the AHL roster and not against our cap so we can maybe splurge a little in the 2010-2011 offseason?
I think all one-way contracts count before the season, so I believe we would have to go through the whole rigmarole again next year... could be wrong though, so someone please confirm.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
azrok22

Quote:
He'd be back on our cap during each of the offseasons until his contract is off the books. However, you can go 10% over the cap during the offseason.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
ChrisModem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
But at what cost? the $6.5 it costs per year is impeading us from going out & improving the team in other areas. Redden HAS to go.
Yup!

Old
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
ChrisModem

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
He'd be back on our cap during each of the offseasons until his contract is off the books. However, you can go 10% over the cap during the offseason.
Would 10% be enough if we signed Kovy at a rediculous salary, say 9-10 mill and couldn't trade WR?

Old
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
I believe he has to be sent down each year. So each summer he will count against our cap until he's gone.

But that money will be spent well before the 2011 offseason. If they intend to waive Redden, they will spend the money this year on his replacement, is my guess.

We'll operate over the cap during the summer and then Redden will be sent down before the start of the season to get under the cap. We won't have much cap space left at that point, I'm sure.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humvy99 View Post
Would 10% be enough if we signed Kovy at a rediculous salary, say 9-10 mill and couldn't trade WR?
Next year's cap is projected to be 57.7 million. We'll know for sure in June.

10% of that would be 5.77 million, for a total of 63.47 million. Kovy at 9 mil would likely put us over that mark, unless we clear space somewhere else.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
azrok22

Don't forget the illustrious Mr. Rissmiller, another $1m cap charge to play for someone else's AHL team...

not to mention Brashear...

EDIT: The way I look at it is this... we need a few hundred thousand cap space for the season... waiving Redden simply forces you to start the season with that space (because even with the 10% overage, you'll be nearing the top).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
thus far I really like what I hear about the Rangers' plans for the offseason. I don't understand why they don't want to re-sign Auld, but in the end he is just a backup goalie, so there are far more important issues. And shipping Redden to Hartford is #1 of them.
Amen. Sir.

Amen.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Again, its kinda weird to be reading a 30 yr old talk about taking a half a season to 'find where he needed to be'.

Yeeeah, I'm sure there's no problems there whatsoever.

Old
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM
OverTheCap

So Brooks is assuming that Avery won't be back because Torts didn't mention him in the exit interview? Some nice speculation there, Larry.

I read Torts' whole interview, which was posted on Rangers Report. There were some players he didn't mention individually... Avery, Girardi, and Staal were among those players, so I guess there's no telling where they fit in next year? Unless Brooks has some legitimate insider information about the Rangers' plans for Avery, other than "his name didn't come up in Torts' interview," I'm assuming that Avery will be back.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Auld - He is not a great goalie, big, but slow. I'd much rather give Chad Johnson a shot at backup, he would probably be cheaper and I believe he is A LOT more talented than Auld already.

Redden - This is a no brainer. We should have sent him to the minors 2 years ago.

Avery - I don't get the complaints about him. He had a few off games, but in general, he was decent, especially closer to the end of the season. I have a strong feeling that if he was in that last game against Philly, we would have won. He provides a number of intangibles that Prust does NOT have. Avery is more talented of course. But Avery also is a superior agitator. He does a great job on Brodeur, Kovalchuk and the likes...he gets them off their game. He draws penalties from the opposition, and we could have used a few more Power plays against Philly and Boucher. He also does a very good job, for a small guy, of keeping the puck in the other team's zone by cycling...something we did not do nearly enough of against Philly and it was a big reason why we lost that last game.
To me, Avery is key to this team for the role he provides. He has to stay.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
So Brooks is assuming that Avery won't be back because Torts didn't mention him in the exit interview? Some nice speculation there, Larry.

I read Torts' whole interview, which was posted on Rangers Report. There were some players he didn't mention individually... Avery, Girardi, and Staal were among those players, so I guess there's no telling where they fit in next year? Unless Brooks has some legitimate insider information about the Rangers' plans for Avery, other than "his name didn't come up in Torts' interview," I'm assuming that Avery will be back.
"I'd like to get younger" - Torts

Girardi-26
Staal- 23
Avery- 30

Old
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Again, Tortorella's job isn't cap management. It's player management.
Okay, that still doesn't answer the question. What kind of bridge do you build that solves a player problem like Redden's? You say he's burning bridges where he could instead be building them...how? Redden is burnt out both physically and mentally and he was brought onto this team by a GM who thought he would be able to work with this roster the same as he would with the star studded Ottawa team he was on. There is nothing Torts or any coach in the world could do to manage Redden more effectively. He's done. He needs to be off this team by any means necessary.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote