HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers free agent thoughts

Old
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
giacomin1

vCash: 500
I like Auld as the backup but Hedberg would also be a great choice, especially if he plays for us the way he usually plays against us. He would very likely be a fan favorite.

giacomin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
We always say we're gonna start Lunqvist less. it'd be nice if it happened for once. 65 games is a good target.

I see no reason why Auld isnt fit to the task.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
And, I agree about Girardi. I'd no problem if you upgrade from Girardi to Volchenkov. I just don't want to see them commit big money to Volchenkov, and then retain Girardi for big money, too.
Can't see them making a long-term commitment to Girardi. He played well down the stretch, but was a part of the problem and not the solution on many a night. This is not Staal. He needs to play for a full year the way he finished the year before anyone commits to him.

One thing is for sure. The defense of this team has been an issue every since Beuk & Ulfie were no longer a pairing. The overall theme of puck movers before anything else has to change. The defense (like the top lines) are in need of a desperate attitude adjustment.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Axxion89

I love how half of the people on these boards want to pay $8 million plus for Kovy only to have him end up being the next noose around the Ranger's salary cap! We needs a center more than anything else, we have our elite winger in Gaborik. What we need to do is either trade for a center or wait until a GOOD one is available (not Plekanic or Marleau). I would love to somehow get Brad Richards on this team which would give us a true number one center. If we had even a decent center who could create space, that would open up the ice for our wingers to score.

However, I'm sure Sather will do anything in his power to sign Kovy because it would bring in tons of revenue for people to see him play at MSG. As long as Sather doesn't sign Marleau, I won't go completely mad

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Team could use 4 top 4 defensemen.

Staal, Girardi, Rozsival, Volchenkov, followed by MDZ and (insert most deserving rookie)

believe it or not thats a damn competent defensive unit.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Yes.

Kovalchuk is the kind player you pay that kind of money to.

He's a game breaker much in the same way that Gaborik is.

He's also not a player that absolutely needs that true playmaking center that we lack.

He will turn 27 tomorrow, I will pay him 100 million on a 15 year deal that pays him 10 million a year for the first 5 years of the deal, 6 million for the next 5 years and finally 4 million per over the remaining 5 years.

A Cap hit of just 6.66 million per season. Very doable and very manageable.
and just who will be getting kovalchuk and gaborik the puck?

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Team could use 4 top 4 defensemen.

Staal, Girardi, Rozsival, Volchenkov, followed by MDZ and (insert most deserving rookie)

believe it or not thats a damn competent defensive unit.
Volchenkov is just too devoid of offensive ability for my liking. Sure he blocks a ton of shots and delivers an occasional bone crushing hit, but his contribution offensively is roughly equivalent to Wade Redden.

In my view, you can't toss ~$5m long term at that kind of production. If that's what you're looking for, maybe go a bit cheaper/shorter term for Z. Michalek, but really I'd stay away from the mid-high profile defensemen this offseason.

Bring back Staal, Girardi, and Rozi for the top 4, and sign a cheaper guy like Seidenberg/Morris/Mara/etc. (~$2m for 1-2 years) to solidify the bottom pair/battle MDZ for the last spot in the top 4 (at even strength).

Lundqvist hides many of our defensive deficiencies. Even adding a great defensive defenseman won't change that greatly (because we've already got Staal/Girardi filling that role). Lundqvist can't hide our offensive deficiencies, if we're adding another mid tier-big name player, it needs to be on offense, imho.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 View Post
Who have gotten Gaborik and Kovalchuk the puck over their careers?

Walz, Christensen, Peverley, and Armstrong.
Top flite centers are overrated and overpaid.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:42 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 View Post
Who gets Gaborik the puck now? Christensen, Dubinsky, Prospal (might not be back).

Gaborik does not need a 1c for him to put up ~40g+. He showed that this year.

Who got Kovalchuk the puck in Atlanta?

Kovalchuk does not need a 1c for him to put up ~40g+. He's showed that his whole Atlanta career.

XXX - XXX - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - XXX -XXX

Fill in the XXXs with 2nd-3rd liners (Christensen, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc.), and Gaborik/Kovalchuk will still perform as elite players and elevate the line to the equivalent of a first.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
The Thomas J.*

If it's not Alud, than I'd like Hedberg.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

Interesting how you choose to ignore Savard, Kozlov for the center positino and Hossa as the opposite winger with regards to kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk went from 98 pts (his career high) with Savard... toooo 76 pts the next year with out Savard (although BOTH Kozlov and Hossa had more points then him). having a # 1 center absolutely makes a difference.

also the Wild had Mikko Koivu, and Bouchard, Rolston and Demitra playing alongside Gaborik during his times there. It's not as if he did it alone. and Koivu is much better than any center we have here.

Last edited by DontStepanMe: 04-14-2010 at 11:36 AM.
DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:29 AM
mullichicken25

If they could add Volchenkov to our blueline without ditching Rosi it'd be pretty huge....

i dont know how much is saved by by not bringing back Girardi and Gilroy, but i'd swap those to for Volchenkov without hesitation

God i wish redden would just retire....can MSG offer him a very nice contract as a comentator or something? can't worse than Joe...and he won't have ot worry about passing drug tests

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Who gets Gaborik the puck now? Christensen, Dubinsky, Prospal (might not be back).

Gaborik does not need a 1c for him to put up ~40g+. He showed that this year.

Who got Kovalchuk the puck in Atlanta?

Kovalchuk does not need a 1c for him to put up ~40g+. He's showed that his whole Atlanta career.

XXX - XXX - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - XXX -XXX

Fill in the XXXs with 2nd-3rd liners (Christensen, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc.), and Gaborik/Kovalchuk will still perform as elite players and elevate the line to the equivalent of a first.
What an asinine way to build a hockey team. Ofcourse Gaborik is great and can score 40 with garbage on his line but think about what he could do with suitable linemates. It's this kind of thinking that has us stuck in mediocrity. We don't build a team properly and ask guys to play above their heads or roles they are ill-suited for. I just can't believe after seeing it for so many years, some fans actually think it's the solution too.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
What an asinine way to build a hockey team. Ofcourse Gaborik is great and can score 40 with garbage on his line but think about what he could do with suitable linemates. It's this kind of thinking that has us stuck in mediocrity. We don't build a team properly and ask guys to play above their heads or roles they are ill-suited for. I just can't believe after seeing it for so many years, some fans actually think it's the solution too.
I see what youre saying, and it certainly has its merits.

But I do like the idea of Kovalchuk and Gaborik on the same team better than the idea of acquiring a true #1 center that just isnt available.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Black Tank

Guys, get over it: there are no elite free agent centers available. We will not get Brad Richards without giving up a KEY young player which defeats the purpose. What is available in terms of elite talent is Kovalchuk. And that's it...

As lacking as we are in goal scoring, we can't afford to turn our noses up at a guy who's consistently scored 40+ goals. If we can't afford Kovalchuk, I'm content to sit out the FA market.

Volchenkov has huge failure written all over him, especially as he produces very little offensively and IMO his hitting has declined in the last few years. We should not offer him elite $$$, especially after the Drury, Gomez, Redden fiascos of overpaying.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:04 PM
pwoz

Maybe Avery can center Kovalchuk.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:17 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Guys, get over it: there are no elite free agent centers available. We will not get Brad Richards without giving up a KEY young player which defeats the purpose. What is available in terms of elite talent is Kovalchuk. And that's it...

As lacking as we are in goal scoring, we can't afford to turn our noses up at a guy who's consistently scored 40+ goals. If we can't afford Kovalchuk, I'm content to sit out the FA market.

Volchenkov has huge failure written all over him, especially as he produces very little offensively and IMO his hitting has declined in the last few years. We should not offer him elite $$$, especially after the Drury, Gomez, Redden fiascos of overpaying.

I'm with this dude. The Free agent pool this year is less than stellar. I would try to do a deal for Richards. I could see Demetria landing here on a one year deal.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Ok, let's say you magically acquire Joe Thornton without giving anything up.

Under your "better" way of building a team.
Thornton pops say 20g and turns Gaborik into a 60g scorer (unlikely, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt). Thornton also makes one other forward that he plays with every shift better.

Your lines:
XXX - Thornton - Gaborik
XXX - XXX - XXX

So Gaborik and his #1c scored a combined 80g and made one other player on the ice better by benefiting with playing with them.

Under my "asinine" way to build a hockey team.
My lines:
XXX - XXX - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - XXX - XXX
So Gaborik and Kovalchuk scored a combined 80g and made four other player on the ice better.

Gaborik has his line, pops 40g and makes the two players he plays with better.
Kovalchuk has his line, pops 40g and makes the two players he plays with better.

My way involves giving up no assets and signing an UFA, but your way is "better" and my way is "asinine." Ok.

Old
04-14-2010, 12:24 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomin1 View Post
I like Auld as the backup but Hedberg would also be a great choice, especially if he plays for us the way he usually plays against us. He would very likely be a fan favorite.
You know it wouldn't happen...

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I'm with this dude. The Free agent pool this year is less than stellar. I would try to do a deal for Richards. I could see Demetria landing here on a one year deal.
Richards is one year away from UFA and carries a cap hit of $7.8 million.

You're really advocating giving up assets (probably Dubinsky++) for a guy that's 1 year away from free agency, and is probably only a couple million or less of a cap hit than Kovalchuk will be?

People are too enamored by the importance and need for a #1C.

You can get almost identical benefit by signing an elite winger, and there just so happens to be one available for nothing but money.

I agree that if you strike out on Kovalchuk you don't sign any big UFAs, but that doesn't mean you go out and trade for a guy that's 1 year away from UFA.

Old
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

LOL Avery and Kovalchuk together would be hilarious.

And for all the people advocating for a Center...i agree with an above poster that those are overrated. The reason that Gaborik didnt have 50 goals this year is because he was the ONLY threat on this team.

When another team played them they looked at the Rangers roster and it was a no-brainer as to who there top defensive pair will play against. With Kovalchuk and Gaborik that would open up ice for both of them to play.

Those two guys on seperate lines would be an absolute force and likely lead to two --at least 40 goal scorers next year.

I would LOVE to bring KOVY in....that 15 year deal seems a bit excessive but on a 8-10 year deal for 7-8 mil sign me up.

He is a game changer and this team would be extremely dangerous with him on it.

We have young guys that look promising coming up through the system and can build around Henrik,Staal, Del Zotto, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Dubinsky, Callahan.

Decent centers will due for these guys, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Christensen and even Drury possibly.

The only FA i want us to sign is Kovy otherwise sit it out and wait for future years. I want no part in Volchenkov (unless hes under 4 mil/year) or Plekanec or Marleu.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:26 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
I love how half of the people on these boards want to pay $8 million plus for Kovy only to have him end up being the next noose around the Ranger's salary cap! We needs a center more than anything else, we have our elite winger in Gaborik. What we need to do is either trade for a center or wait until a GOOD one is available (not Plekanic or Marleau). I would love to somehow get Brad Richards on this team which would give us a true number one center. If we had even a decent center who could create space, that would open up the ice for our wingers to score.
Speaking of $8m+ nooses. Look, I'm with you on the priorities and I do believe that Richards can play. But a crippling contract is a crippling contract. Dallas isn't in position to take money back.

I still firmly believe that defense is our #1 issue... remove the bad and establish some good.

Quote:

These guys might not need centers, but Stanley Cup contenders do. Crosby, Datsuk, Backstrom, Staal, Lecavilier, Getzlaf... elite centers and the Stanley Cup go hand in hand. Two prolific wings with a no name riding shot gun gets you first round losses like Hossa/Kovalchuk or Selanne/Kariya. A servicable center leaves you just short like Langkow in Calgary or Langenbrunner in NJ.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Also, your logic requires us to assume that because we sucked after signing Holik, Redden, Gomez, and Drury, we'll suck after signing Kovalchuk. That's just wrong.

If you think Holik, Redden, Gomez, or Drury are in the same stratosphere as Kovalchuk talent-wise, then I don't know what to say.

Kovalchuk as an UFA is Gaborik without the injury concerns. He is NOT Holik, Redden, Gomez, or Drury.

Old
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
drewcon40

I agree with the need for a #1 center for Gaborik. Ironically, 10 years ago, we had the exact opposite need. We had an aging, yet productive Wayne Gretzky who was still a great center and could have used an elite winger to bury Wayne Gretzky's passes. (Remember the Pavel Bure rumors?)

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
A servicable center leaves you just short like Langkow in Calgary or Langenbrunner in NJ.
Langenbrunner has three cups

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote