HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Is COD: Modern Warfare 2 the best multiplayer game of all time?

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 10 8.62%
No 106 91.38%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashspec View Post
There's a very strong case that it's the best. It's by far the most in depth game ever released in my opinion and has something for everyone
I think a lot of people would object to that. I could never find much redeeming qualities in it for my own tastes

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:20 AM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
It's not even the best COD game, let alone the best of all time. I'd argue that 4 and 5 are ahead of MW2.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:37 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

As a PC gamer I liked Goldeneye more than PC shooters pre UT so I don't buy the PC games were better argument, especially since I don't think you should directly compare pc v console. They should be as different as comparing board games to video games.

And don't hate on Tony Hawk games, lots of fun. If you don't like the genre that's one thing, but the games were well made 1-4. I think I liked 1 the best for it's simplicity.

Also, saw a lot mention SC but only a couple mention Diablo, guess it gets overshadowed a bit my WoW these days. I've put more combined hours on D1 and D2 than anything.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:48 AM
neofury*

Just because something is formulaic doesn't make it ****. I love how the people who deem themselves "hardcore" etc always find a way to say something is formulaic drivel and that it sucks, as if formula's aren't formula's in the first place for a reason. Sometimes formulaic "anything" can be good, other times it sucks.

Modern Warfare 2 in some ways is great despite that, in a lot of ways sucks because of that.

I'm not a hardcore shooter fan, as most of you probably already know, I prefer RPG, Action RPG, RTS, etc, but Modern Warfare 2 is in no way a bad game. I suck at it online (just go it for the ps3) and despite how annoying it is sucking at a game when you're a noob, it's still a damn good campaign so far with great multiplayer to go with.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:50 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
As a PC gamer I liked Goldeneye more than PC shooters pre UT so I don't buy the PC games were better argument, especially since I don't think you should directly compare pc v console. They should be as different as comparing board games to video games.

And don't hate on Tony Hawk games, lots of fun. If you don't like the genre that's one thing, but the games were well made 1-4. I think I liked 1 the best for it's simplicity.

Also, saw a lot mention SC but only a couple mention Diablo, guess it gets overshadowed a bit my WoW these days. I've put more combined hours on D1 and D2 than anything.
I agree, Tony Hawk 1-4 and even underground 1 were all good, all the rest of the titles suck donkey balls. Someone should tell them to go back to basics and stop trying to make the game more "fun" by making it ****tier and ****tier each time. I love #1 #2 #3 and #4, but I can tell #4 was where it started to go down hill. (Hey at least if I remember correctly the sound track was dece?)

Anyways, **** the new TH games.

Old
04-05-2010, 08:20 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I agree, Tony Hawk 1-4 and even underground 1 were all good, all the rest of the titles suck donkey balls. Someone should tell them to go back to basics and stop trying to make the game more "fun" by making it ****tier and ****tier each time. I love #1 #2 #3 and #4, but I can tell #4 was where it started to go down hill. (Hey at least if I remember correctly the sound track was dece?)

Anyways, **** the new TH games.
If I recall THPS 4 was the first one to dabble in the open world style where you skate around and find other guys who instruct you to do X or hit a certain combo, as opposed to picking your goal from the start of the 2 minute run.

I liked 4 but that's the last one I played. I didn't like the idea of Underground because it had too much emphasis on the player created skaters. Probably why I liked 1, they didn't have player characters, more about the mainline gameplay.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
God no,

CS/HL for it's longevity and variety/community.

I'll give a shout out to BF1942. That was a watershed moment in PC shooters. Still the best balanced BF game, with the most vehicles.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

April fools?

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:43 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
If I recall THPS 4 was the first one to dabble in the open world style where you skate around and find other guys who instruct you to do X or hit a certain combo, as opposed to picking your goal from the start of the 2 minute run.

I liked 4 but that's the last one I played. I didn't like the idea of Underground because it had too much emphasis on the player created skaters. Probably why I liked 1, they didn't have player characters, more about the mainline gameplay.
Yeah believe it or not Underground 1 was good, 2 sucked so much tho. You should download it, see if you like it. As per #4, it's definitely my least favorite our of the first 4, however I found they at least did a good job of the open concept unlike the future games they released.

Old
04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
People coming here saying "they played it recently and don't see what the big deal is" are kind of missing the point though. It was the first good FPS game you kid sit around the TV with friends and play multiplayer for hours. Something missing from the Xbox live generation where everyone plays by themselves from the comfort of their own home.

And the single player was great for its time, but with technical limitations doesn't hold up as well to modern games.
notice i never said i dont know what the big deal is

Quote:
Goldeneye was fun but it has no real replay value. I played that game about a year and a half ago and it really wasnt enjoyable. Unreal and half life are much better games in this genre then goldeneye although it was rather fun back when it was new.
playing with one stick with graphics that look like **** now just isnt fun. i can still play doom, wolfenstein, counter strike and they are all as fun as the first time i played them. unfortunatly goldeneye isnt, when i played it i was really excited beforehand but felt let down at the end.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I honestly enjoyed Battlefield 2 more Modern Warfare 2.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse Bundy View Post
SOCOM was amazing for it's time on the PS2. The biggest beef I had with that franchise is that they would ruin maps rather than simply replacing them. Abandoned and Rats Nest were the best maps on SOCOM, but they were ruined on SOCOM 2 by changing them to night settings.

For me, the series peaked at SOCOM 2(I spent so many hours playing on Crossroads, Frostfire, Vigilante, Fishhook and Desert Glory). By 3, they were forcing vehicles, bigger maps and new gametypes into the mix, which were ruining the gameplay. I haven't played the new Confrontation, but I heard that it isn't much to care for.
Yea unfortunately it isn't. Slant 6 (the developer for Confront.) is a pos and the game wasn't good. But it did feel good to run Crossroads again and pick off noobs in the tower.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:26 AM
hao chi

No.

Games off the top of my head with better multiplayer:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos Theory
Counter-Strike
Uncharted 2
Killzone 2
Halo 1
Rock Band

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:09 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Scouts/knives was one of the greatest CS maps of all time.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Scouts/knives was one of the greatest CS maps of all time.
Meh, that map always had weird gravity if I recall correctly, and I never could use the sniper rifle effectively. One of my least favorite maps

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
The 9 people that voted yes should have their consoles/PCs taken away.

Towers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
The 9 people that voted yes should have their consoles/PCs taken away.
MW2 is the best FPS shooter I've ever played, and that's what I based my vote on. I've played goldeneye, metroid prime, socom, unreal tourny, cod4-5, all the halos, fallout 3, and killzone 2.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Don't think MW2 is as good as classic FPS or current FPS in BC2 but people are certainly entitled to their opinions and if they like mainstream arcade games with unrealistic perks then so be it

Some of us like that stuff, and some of us like realistic games with vehicles

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Don't think MW2 is as good as classic FPS or current FPS in BC2 but people are certainly entitled to their opinions and if they like mainstream arcade games with unrealistic perks then so be it

Some of us like that stuff, and some of us like realistic games with vehicles
"Realistic games" with "vehicles"? Now I've heard it all

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

**** no. In all honesty I thought that as a whole (both single player and multiplayer) MW2 was absolute garbage. I had the game maybe 2 weeks before I sold it again.

Here's some better multiplayer games (in random order but they ae all good IMO):

- the EA Sports NHL series.
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Call of Duty: WaW
- the original Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 (for PC)
- Painkiller
- Doom 3
- Unreal Tournament (I've played '03 and '04...loved them both)

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Gooch

This game was a big disappointment to me. I like many others bought it right away when it was released and I played it for a few days and grew bored of it. I havent touched it in months, if the multiplayer was in fact the best of all time I would think it would capture my attention for a bit longer than it did. I wouldnt even rank it amongst the better multiplayer games I have played before.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote