Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

“Darryl and Brent don’t even talk,”

Old
04-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
“Darryl and Brent don’t even talk,”

WARNING: It's a Francis article. According to a source of his, a member of the Flames staff:

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/col.../13539306.html

Quote:
“It’s so dysfunctional. Darryl has been in the league as a respected player, coach and GM forever, and he knows more about the NHL than anyone in the organization. He saved this franchise. But his ego, or lack of social graces or whatever, has reached a point where the people who can help him find him totally unapproachable. That includes Brent. He doesn’t listen. It’s a reign of terror. Everyone is scared of him.”
Quote:
The source says Darryl and Brent have such different philosophies and approaches that president Ken King has essentially acted as a referee between the two most of the year. Obviously, that can’t continue.
Wow. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but if true then just wow.

I'm wondering what you guys think. Is there any truth to this? Or is this Francis trying to add fuel to the fire?

So many rumors of rows. I'm quite honestly sick and tired of the BS.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Areid1990

There's going to be stuff like this coming out for a while.... Give it a month or so and all of this will stop.

First time of no playoffs since 03-04 and now the bandwagon has fallen off, so we will see stuff like this for a while.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:34 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
I'll take this with a grain of salt. There will be no shortage of rumors out about this team after the season we've just had.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Feel The Heat

It would not suprise me. Daryl needs to be gone and soon. I don't care if this article is true or not.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Padlock

Whew, I was a little worried til I saw that it's a Francis article. Now I'm sure that everything is fine

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Boomstick

vCash: 495
Well the Rangers just got eliminated so maybe there won't be so much emphasis on Calgary missing out.
It happens to the best teams, the chemistry was way off this year. Changes have to be made, and we'll see what happens.
I'm excited for the off-season, should be very interesting.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:20 PM
GoFlames

Hmmm if the article is true then that came out of left field. Maybe the issue in the "room" is not in the locker room and in the GM's office.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
KiwiFlamesFan

I agree with what most of you have said about the rumors due to a bad season. I could also understand if there was truth to this article. Daryl had been credited with saving the team and sometimes things like that can go to peoples heads.

Obviously I'm just speculating and know two-thirds of nothing, heck I don't even live in the city. Interesting to say the least...

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padlock View Post
Whew, I was a little worried til I saw that it's a Francis article. Now I'm sure that everything is fine
This.

It's well known that Darryl has no respect for Francis (rightfully so) to the point of making fun of him in press conferences. When it comes to "reporting" anything about Darryl Sutter, Eric Francis feels "tit for tat" is appropriate, and his behaviour is nothing more than a toddler throwing a temper tantrum - except he does it in a newspaper article.

I wish someone would take the high road, but whatever...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
canadajazz

probably garbage, francis is a hack, epitome of shoddy, 4th rate tabloid journalism

a lot of this team's problems do rest on management, but it's not hidden conflicts, it's downright poor and panicked decision making ever since the jokinen gamble didn't work out.

canadajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Not even at Christmas?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:14 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Not even at Christmas?
I think it is against the law to do anything with your mouth in Viking...

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:24 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
This.

It's well known that Darryl has no respect for Francis (rightfully so) to the point of making fun of him in press conferences. When it comes to "reporting" anything about Darryl Sutter, Eric Francis feels "tit for tat" is appropriate, and his behaviour is nothing more than a toddler throwing a temper tantrum - except he does it in a newspaper article.

I wish someone would take the high road, but whatever...
Sure but this is seemingly a chicken and egg story.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:18 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Sure but this is seemingly a chicken and egg story.
Darryl made an enemy out of Dowbiggin too. I wonder where that guy ran off too...

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
tfong

You guys burn every reporter or columnist out there, is there actually one that anyone actually thinks writes good stuff?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
You guys burn every reporter or columnist out there, is there actually one that anyone actually thinks writes good stuff?
Jean Lefebvre was a great beat reporter when he was with the Herald. I don't mind Sportak either.

In terms of broad-based national writers? Duhatschek is money. Pierre Lebrun usually has something worthwhile to say.

There are good writers out there that can present a viable and coherent argument.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA View Post
Jean Lefebvre was a great beat reporter when he was with the Herald. I don't mind Sportak either.

In terms of broad-based national writers? Duhatschek is money. Pierre Lebrun usually has something worthwhile to say.

There are good writers out there that can present a viable and coherent argument.
Well my thinking is that, these guys are employed by the local paper, so they should theoretically have some ability to report things and write and give opinions. But i find everyone usually treats them the same as Eklund.

I mean Kerr talks to Francis alot on the show and many times (not all) they agree to the same thing. On that note I think Kerr knows what he is talking about most times as well. I loved listening to his Flames OT usually as he bashed idiot fans.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Well my thinking is that, these guys are employed by the local paper, so they should theoretically have some ability to report things and write and give opinions. But i find everyone usually treats them the same as Eklund.

I mean Kerr talks to Francis alot on the show and many times (not all) they agree to the same thing. On that note I think Kerr knows what he is talking about most times as well. I loved listening to his Flames OT usually as he bashed idiot fans.
In the case of Franics, he has a job because of who he's related to.

Basically his job is to write tabloid-esque opinion or trash pieces about the Flames, and generally be an attention *****.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
In the case of Franics, he has a job because of who he's related to.

Basically his job is to write tabloid-esque opinion or trash pieces about the Flames, and generally be an attention *****.
You know, I actually think that Francis has the ability to write a good article. Every once in awhile you see something by Francis that is actually well-reasoned and has a good line of reasoning present. The problem is that he tends to do the bolded more often than not and that makes him hardly credible. He has this tendency to go off the deep-end for the sake of being controversial.

I find that Johnson has taken that path as of late. The guy is a supremely talented writer, but every single piece he's writing right now comes off as bitter Sutter hate propoganda as he's going over the top 24/7.

I was always a big Sutter fan (and I'm 60/40 on him staying right now.. for the record) but there are definite questions that need to be asked about what has happened this year. He deserves to be quesitoned and criticized for some of the things that have happened. That said, our sports writers in the city are coming off terribly right now and that's not helping the optics at all.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Mike Jones

It wouldn't surprise me if Darryl doesn't talk to Brent. I listen to both of them mumble and grumble and wonder if they can communicate with anybody.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Canucks fan here. Darryl is highly overrated as a GM. I used to fear the Flames as a rival of the Canucks, but you guys were basically lunch meat this year. No offense. Honestly, the one move that made Darryl a good GM was getting Kipper. After that... you basically trade for Jokinen, who costs you in resigning Cammaleri. Than you trade Phaneuf for basically the Leafs core. Resign Stajan, move Jokinen. Basically the Flames went from being a playoff team, back to the team that missed the playoffs for 7 years in a row.

Some of the best games I've watched have been Canucks and the Flames. Fire the guy, cleanse the Sutter name from the Flames organization. Once this is done, the team will be good again. Iginla is getting old, he doesn't have a big window for winning the cup anymore. For sure a good player as Iginla is, I would hate to see him go down the road Linden did. Good luck to you guys next year.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Eric Francis' inteptitude has crossed international borders.

Quote:
Calgary Flames: Given that Eric Francis is a bit of a clod, I'm inclined to take his report that Darryl and Brent Sutter hardly speak with a grain of salt.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,233568

Old
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

The media in this city have been unbearable to listen to or read. They seem more interested in making the stories than reporting them.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote