HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Idea....

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 07:52 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Good god... Berezin?

and for that much money?

If I was an Oiler, that would be a call for Mutiny.
lol, ain't that the truth....
next thing you know he'd go out and try to get Audette and Czerkawski! WAIT! ............ Isn't that what the habs did?
:p

Old
09-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Good god... Berezin?

and for that much money?

If I was an Oiler, that would be a call for Mutiny.
Hey, I'm not necessarily advocating it. But it's a possibility, and his market value is around $3 million (whether that is actually fair performance-wise is another matter). Personally I like Rolston and Zhamnov a whole lot better.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:15 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Hey, I'm not necessarily advocating it. But it's a possibility, and his market value is around $3 million (whether that is actually fair performance-wise is another matter). Personally I like Rolston and Zhamnov a whole lot better.
Berezin deserves no where near 3 million. He's a 2 million player atmost. No defense, he doesn't pass the puck. He's not a 3 million guy.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Berezin deserves no where near 3 million. He's a 2 million player atmost. No defense, he doesn't pass the puck. He's not a 3 million guy.
No, he may not deserve 3 million. But both the market and his agent would demand that he be given somewhere close to that on a one-year contract. It's not fair, and it's certainly not representative of his performance, but it's the system.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Oi'll say!

The thing about getting Brind'Amour at the deadline is that the Oilers would only be on the hook for about 25% of his salary.

It's still only an "if the 'Canes are out of the playoffs again" scenario.

How long is Rod signed for anyways? I think he may have signed a 5 year deal at 5 per. The Oil might have a tough time trading him if the cba is favorable.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:15 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
No, he may not deserve 3 million. But both the market and his agent would demand that he be given somewhere close to that on a one-year contract. It's not fair, and it's certainly not representative of his performance, but it's the system.
LOL...

Fair market value?

Please. That is the biggest misconception in hockey. Fair market value implies your value if you were put on the open market, and Berezin is on the open market not getting $3 milllion.

And it isn't the system, it is the owners. The owners have all the power and have blatantly ignored that power this whole time, and now the nhl is going into the crapper because of it.

The owners are not forced to sign any contracts, therefore it is the owners fault, not the system.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:17 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
The Oilers have no use for Berezin. He was only a 30 goal scorer playing with Sundin, and hasn't done anywhere near that since. If anyone, the Oilers should be looking at a guy like Yuskevich, who will help out significantly more than Berezin.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
LOL...

Fair market value?

Please. That is the biggest misconception in hockey. Fair market value implies your value if you were put on the open market, and Berezin is on the open market not getting $3 milllion.

And it isn't the system, it is the owners. The owners have all the power and have blatantly ignored that power this whole time, and now the nhl is going into the crapper because of it.

The owners are not forced to sign any contracts, therefore it is the owners fault, not the system.
So? He may not be getting any offers for $3 million, but that doesn't mean he isn't looking for $3 million. If any team wants him that's how much they will have to pay. Not because it's fair, but because that's how much him and his agent think he can get on the market. That's what I mean by market value. Note I NEVER said FAIR market value; quite the opposite, in fact.

And the owners are part of the system. They may be wild and carefree when it comes to spending money, but they are a part of the system. Forget about all this CBA negotiation stuff, Bettman would be much better served to get all the owners on the same page (read: some owners like spending money more than others) first before trying to play hardball with the union.

Closed Thread