HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Old
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Why is there this issue with Ranger fans where every opponents goal HAS to be somebody's fault?

First thing after every goal, dont commend the opponent because lord knows they cant have made a good play, we have to decide who's fault it was.

Reminds me a little of the Katrina South Park episode.
Funny, I was thinking the very same thing after I posted yesterday too.

I guess it all comes down to the 'everything happens for a reason' thing and those reasons were ultimately the positioning of the NYR PKers.

I like the post though, because even though I still see it as I described...it was one of those plays where it was more about unfortunate puck bounces.

Boom Boom, seriously no reason to try to bicker over opinion difference or whatever.
I am well aware of Boyle being the biggest disappointments (all 6'7 of him) on that play and most else he's been around. I was just mentioning for thread's sake that the most meaningful opposition goal of the year(normal-non-shootout goal) happened while the two most complain about were together on the ice.
IMO the R&R boys have to go before we can call ourselves a contender.

No reason to say I don't know the sport.
There's never a reason to TELL(instead of ask) someone here what they meant by something, to assume more than literal meaning.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Funny, I was thinking the very same thing after I posted yesterday too.

I guess it all comes down to the 'everything happens for a reason' thing and those reasons were ultimately the positioning of the NYR PKers.

I like the post though, because even though I still see it as I described...it was one of those plays where it was more about unfortunate puck bounces.

Boom Boom, seriously no reason to try to bicker over opinion difference or whatever.
I am well aware of Boyle being the biggest disappointments (all 6'7 of him) on that play and most else he's been around. I was just mentioning for thread's sake that the most meaningful opposition goal of the year(normal-non-shootout goal) happened while the two most complain about were together on the ice.
IMO the R&R boys have to go before we can call ourselves a contender.

No reason to say I don't know the sport.
There's never a reason to TELL(instead of ask) someone here what they meant by something, to assume more than literal meaning.
This team can compete with Rozsival on the roster. Its silly to think otherwise.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Why is there this issue with Ranger fans where every opponents goal HAS to be somebody's fault?

First thing after every goal, dont commend the opponent because lord knows they cant have made a good play, we have to decide who's fault it was.

Reminds me a little of the Katrina South Park episode.
so true, this is one of the reasons i have rarely posted on any ny rangers bb for the last couple years. it truly is unbearable reading how terrible our team is whether they are at the top ofthe standings or in the gutter. i still dont get how some people still try and blame redden for being out of position on sergei federovs game winner in game 7. instead of giving credit to a future hall of famer its the fault of a declining whipping boy for costing us a game and the series

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaiholla View Post
so true, this is one of the reasons i have rarely posted on any ny rangers bb for the last couple years. it truly is unbearable reading how terrible our team is whether they are at the top ofthe standings or in the gutter. i still dont get how some people still try and blame redden for being out of position on sergei federovs game winner in game 7. instead of giving credit to a future hall of famer its the fault of a declining whipping boy for costing us a game and the series
That goal by Fedorov was horrible it wasnt an AO top ten sports center play. It should have easily been prevented.

Redden has EARNED his whipping boy status

And when has our team been at the top of the standings in like last 10-13 years?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Boom Boom is insecure about his own hockey understanding, which is why he is always attacking other people's opinions when they differ from his.

Aside from that my thoughts on the goal that philly scored in regulation in game 82.

Anisimov shouldn't have been on the ice during that. This being his first year in the NHL it is understandable that in this situation he is susceptible to falling under a great deal of pressure. If i'm coach, no matter how good a player is on a given situation, i will not put the weight on the rookie. In that situation Torts should have just rolled with the most experienced PK'ers.

That being said i blame all the Rangers on the ice for what happened and not just one of them. Anisimov panicked, tried to make a play when what he should have done is clear the ice, gave it away. Boyle over skated the puck. Redden and Rosival were just caught in a bad position at the wrong time.

That being said, with all the hype being said about Rosival about how clutch he was in big games and how well he's been playing, well... i was thoroughly disappointed. He didn't play a bad game, even though he made several bad plays, on the flip side he also made some good plays as well, but by no circumstances did he play well. I'll say he played average, i mean i can't blame him for always playing bad, he's partnered with a black hole half the time (redden). However, over the last few games ive noticed when he plays well and when he starts making big mistakes. He played a great game against Toronto... big surprise as they are the worst team in the East. Then against Philly twice he sort of returned back to the lackluster play he had been playing earlier on in the season. Now for all the claims on this board and in particular on this thread that Rosival is our best defenseman or at the very least a top line defender, well i find that hard to back up after in the biggest games in the year Rosival kind of took a few steps backward instead of providing a pillar of strength for Henrik and hte rest of the defense. I mean if anything we all saw who actually emerged as our 1st line defenders (Staal and Girardi). I mean with everything that's happened this season those 2 were by far and away the best defenders we had on the ice down the stretch... NOT Rosival.

Please don't label this as an unfair assessment because i'm "biased" against Rosival. First and foremost, after watching him play against Toronto i went into the final 2 games with a "clean slate" on Rosival. Actually, i was pleasantly surprised when i saw Rosival thread the needle on that pass to Jokinen against Toronto, and well i started wanting to believe that Rosy had actually emerged as a defensive leader as of late. But i can't say he did emerge as a defensive leader during those final 2 games.

Some of you will say "well he was the best defender for the Rangers and because of him we can say that the Rangers had a chance at the playoffs", others will you will go onto say that Rosival's play can't be analyzed in a 2 game sample. Well i will disagree on both counts. What constitutes a best defender in my eyes is someone who comes up when the team needs him most. Rosival did not answer that call. Think of it like this (even though the example is far from comparable as the guy im comparing Rosival to must be like 10x better than him in his sport). Alex Rodriguez... he's one of the yankees best players during the season, if not the best. Come playoffs (with the exception of last year) Arod chokes every season when his team needs him most. Therefore Arod was not considered the best player or contributer for the Yankees even though statistically he blew out the majority of players on that ballclub. (please don't say that i'm biased FOR arod in this scenario. i'm a mets fan, i hate the yankees, arod disgusts me as a cheater... steroids i dont mean on his wife... and for robbing a ball club of 300 mill without ever admitting his use) however the stats and play warrant this discussion.

If Rosival doesn't come up big when the Rangers need him big then tell me why some of you still call him our best defender...

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I wonder how many people were claiming Staal wasnt our best defenseman after he choked up a goal in one of the biggest games of the season?

FTR, its Rozsival. Guy has been in this organization for 6 years, its time for some of you to get his name right. Its like spelling Staal Stall in 2012.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
I wonder how many people were claiming Staal wasnt our best defenseman after he choked up a goal in one of the biggest games of the season?

FTR, its Rozsival. Guy has been in this organization for 6 years, its time for some of you to get his name right. Its like spelling Staal Stall in 2012.
it is more convenient if i leave the z out because i can type it faster if i do. i know how to spell it, i've known for a while. i don't care if you have a problem with it or not. point is you all know who i'm talking about when i spell it the way i do and i dont see a reason why i should trouble myself for a moot point.

and which game exactly did he choke up a goal in... please specify... and as i've so previously tried to express, i couldn't care what the "overall sentiment" on this board on a specific player is. doesn't mean it is right. i have my own opinion on players. staal by no means is an amazing defensemen. in fact if there was a way to go back and check posts from last year or 2 years ago you'll see me try and disuade people from claiming staal was amazing because he would always do boneheaded plays. but he arose to the situation, and he WAS, along with Girardi, our most valuable defenseman on this team when they needed it most.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Maybe the play one minute into the first game against Philidelphia where he gave the puck directly to richards for a breakaway.

Easy to forget about em when they arent UFA signings, I suppose.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Maybe the play one minute into the first game against Philidelphia where he gave the puck directly to richards for a breakaway.

Easy to forget about em when they arent UFA signings, I suppose.
Well in that case how about i bring up Rosival's terrible give away with like 20 seconds left to go in the 2nd game where Henrik was forced to make an unbelievable save to keep the Rangers in it? Oh but we can forget abuot that one because no one scored? It goes both ways. For 124 minutes Staal made up for that 1 goal. For 125 minutes Rosival did nothing to make up for his lack of well playing.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

hahaha okay man. You see what you want to see. I wouldnt suggest spreading it around though.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
hahaha okay man. You see what you want to see. I wouldnt suggest spreading it around though.
what i wanted to see was rosival play well. i didn't. so in that case i didn't see what i wanted to see, and for that case rarely do.

Old
04-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
If Rosival doesn't come up big when the Rangers need him big then tell me why some of you still call him our best defender...
Using your logic, I guess Shelley was our best forward this season; better than Gaborik. Because he came through in the last game of the season.

We've watched Rozsival play over 400 games as a Ranger. Like all athletes he has his pros and cons. Most dmen in the league, are prone to making bad plays. It's the most difficult position to play on the ice, imo.

He had a pathetic season offensively, and his 5M cap hit can be used on players that suit this specific teams needs better.

He was horrible at the start of the season. Making stupid, boneheaded plays night after night. He picked it up after the new year, and continued playing well. Not great, but he was reliable, which is what you ultimately ask for from your defense.

Like I said, I have no issues with moving Rozsival. I don't think he'll remain a Ranger until his contract expires. I just don't understand where all the hate comes from. He's miles better than Redden, who's not even half the player Rozy is, yet makes more, for longer.

Two different head coaches relied on Rozsival as one of their top guys. There was enough interest in him from GM's around the league to warrant the contract he got.

Rozsival is a damn good NHL dmen. If you think otherwise, then so be it.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
in fact if there was a way to go back and check posts from last year or 2 years ago you'll see me try and disuade people from claiming staal was amazing because he would always do boneheaded plays. but he arose to the situation, and he WAS, along with Girardi
I'm a big fan of Girardi. Before/After the Carcillo debacle. He's continuosly being put in situations that's beyond his play, but he still gets the job done.

He had a better season than Rozsival imo, mostly due to Rozsival's offensive production. He was more physical, and blocked a hell of a lot more shots. But he also had about 20 more turnovers too, which is dramatic as a dman.

You can't evaluate a player based on a small handful of games, or even 1 full season. Players have down years. Various things like coaching or personnel changes will impact people differently. Avery was just talking about how he's dissapointed it took him a half season to grasp what our coaches wanted out of him.

Our dmen were all asked to play in roles that were alien to them. All of our dmen looked completely lost during first half-season, except Redden surprisingly. Del Z and Gilroy looked fast and creative, yet all three of our ice-time leaders had their inconsistency issues.

I think it's important to consider all stages of the regular season, as well as recent performances over the last 2-3 years. Rozsival has averaged well over 20min during his tenure here in NYC. He has regressed statistically, but he finished the season on a rather high note, considering how he was defending and playing. I consider him a better hockey player than Girardi.

Again, if you want to think he was awful, that's fine. A hockey professional who's hoisted a Cup over his head, trusted Rozsival more than any dman on our roster, aside from Staal down the stretch. He's going to earn 7M dollars in the next two season's. You will not find a UFA for that price, capable of playing at the same level Rozsival plays.

I think you hate him cause he looks goofy.

Last edited by Boom Boom Geoffrion*: 04-15-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Vitto79

Rozy did great in the 2nd half of the year but let's be serious if he can be traded they have to move the 5 million cap hit. I think it's doable once all the UFA's go. Volchenkov, Hamuis,etc

Unless the Rangers take back a 2 million dollar 5th Dman which is likely. Look at the Kubina trade to Atlanta. They got Exelby and a 25ish AHL prospect. Maybe a pick too but I don't think so

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Using your logic, I guess Shelley was our best forward this season; better than Gaborik. Because he came through in the last game of the season.

We've watched Rozsival play over 400 games as a Ranger. Like all athletes he has his pros and cons. Most dmen in the league, are prone to making bad plays. It's the most difficult position to play on the ice, imo.

He had a pathetic season offensively, and his 5M cap hit can be used on players that suit this specific teams needs better.

He was horrible at the start of the season. Making stupid, boneheaded plays night after night. He picked it up after the new year, and continued playing well. Not great, but he was reliable, which is what you ultimately ask for from your defense.

Like I said, I have no issues with moving Rozsival. I don't think he'll remain a Ranger until his contract expires. I just don't understand where all the hate comes from. He's miles better than Redden, who's not even half the player Rozy is, yet makes more, for longer.

Two different head coaches relied on Rozsival as one of their top guys. There was enough interest in him from GM's around the league to warrant the contract he got.

Rozsival is a damn good NHL dmen. If you think otherwise, then so be it.
1) No i'm not saying that. I'm saying to be the best you must come up big when the team needs you most as well as the remainder of the season. Gaborik also did not necessarily play his best hockey but then again i think he was battling injuries the latter half of the season. And i won't say anything bad against Shelley. For a 34 year old enforcer to step in and play the way he did, well i am only grateful.

2) Don't disagree with you there. Rosi is definatley better than Redden. But then again no one here is claiming that Redden is one of our top defenders. I don't hate Rosi, i hate that he's being paid as much as he's being paid and doesn't perform up to those standards even 50% of the games. He'll perform it on occasion, or on streaks, but he'll always revert back to playing mediocre or worse.

If the NHL didnt have a cap then i would absolutely not have a problem with Rosival sticking around as a 3rd or 2nd line defender. But it does, and for that reason i want Rosival gone from the rangers cap. Especially with the fact that they have far too many holes to fill with far too little available cap space.

Old
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I'm a big fan of Girardi. Before/After the Carcillo debacle. He's continuosly being put in situations that's beyond his play, but he still gets the job done.

He had a better season than Rozsival imo, mostly due to Rozsival's offensive production. He was more physical, and blocked a hell of a lot more shots. But he also had about 20 more turnovers too, which is dramatic as a dman.

You can't evaluate a player based on a small handful of games, or even 1 full season. Players have down years. Various things like coaching or personnel changes will impact people differently. Avery was just talking about how he's dissapointed it took him a half season to grasp what our coaches wanted out of him.

Our dmen were all asked to play in roles that were alien to them. All of our dmen looked completely lost during first half-season, except Redden surprisingly. Del Z and Gilroy looked fast and creative, yet all three of our ice-time leaders had their inconsistency issues.

I think it's important to consider all stages of the regular season, as well as recent performances over the last 2-3 years. Rozsival has averaged well over 20min during his tenure here in NYC. He has regressed statistically, but he finished the season on a rather high note, considering how he was defending and playing. I consider him a better hockey player than Girardi.

Again, if you want to think he was awful, that's fine. A hockey professional who's hoisted a Cup over his head, trusted Rozsival more than any dman on our roster, aside from Staal down the stretch. He's going to earn 7M dollars in the next two season's. You will not find a UFA for that price, capable of playing at the same level Rozsival plays.

I think you hate him cause he looks goofy.
Don't get me wrong here either, Girardi isn't too great with the puck himself, he doesn't have the passing ability Rosival has, but you will always see Dan give it 100% while that's not always the case with Rosival. And the fact that Girardi is being paid roughly 1/4 of what Rosival is being paid and plays the way he does is also something you should consider.

I don't hate him bc he looks goofy, as i said i hate him bc he's so god damn inconsistent. And even if the Rangers have to pay him 7 mill for the next 2 seasons his cap season for them will still be 5 mill. Even though i did not know that until u said it i guess it is a good thing bc more teams will be willing to trade for him knowing that they wont have to even pay half of his contract.

Old
04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
what i wanted to see was rosival play well. i didn't. so in that case i didn't see what i wanted to see, and for that case rarely do.
you've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that is NOT what your looking for when you watch him play

you, and many others, are only looking for him to make mistakes to prove your "point"

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
you've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that is NOT what your looking for when you watch him play

you, and many others, are only looking for him to make mistakes to prove your "point"
i don't look for mistakes they clearly come up during the course of the game. i don't know how im using them to prove my point either. Rosival made a pretty bad one at the end of the Philly game that almost lost the game and the season... that one was worth mentioning. I didn't bring in other ones i noticed during the game. I know exactly what i was watching for, some things Rosival did well others he sucked at. As i said, after wiping his slate clean in my mind i can say that he played average the final few games of the season. Had he caused a game changing error then he would be to blame, not that i am "out to get him". As you can see i do not blame him for the tying goal bc it was a collective effort of bad play from all 4 players on the ice and not just him. Had it been him then i clearly would have noted it. If i WAS out to get him i'm sure i could have found a way to spin it. But i didnt spin it, nor do i have the intention to. His play was mediocre, his pay check requires better play for a longer duration than he shows it... a lot longer...

I know what i look for when i watch games. Maybe it is you who is turning the blind eye on some of the things that occur during the games.

Old
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nols View Post
Souray for Rozsival
I actually think this may go down. Oilers take Voros off our hands and I do it

They are close in Salary and a healthy Souray with DZ on the PP is pretty solid

I am sure most Ranger fans will disagree with that but it is something Sather would do. I much rather see it being Redden and not Rozy but doubt that would happen

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I want Rosival off the Rangers. Just because he doesn't suck as bad as he used to doesn't mean he doesn't suck.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

All I know is replacing a guy like Rozsival isn't easy. No part of his game is better than the other. He is the entire arsenal. He has an elevated game. The only issue is consistancy and that's been b/c of injuries.

Souray for Rozsy should not be considered. Team defense declines w/ that trade. Redden for Souray is what we should do, and in a heart beat.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:39 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
His cap number is $5M. His salary this year is $6M--and $4M next season, and $3M the season after that. Was $7M last season.
Does the cap hit stay the same, 5mn, each year?

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerskij View Post
Does the cap hit stay the same, 5mn, each year?
Yeah, cap hit stays the same. It's the average salary per year. So if you're signed to a 5 year, $30MM contract, the cap hit every year will be $6MM, even if you're actually earning $8MM or $4MM that year.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:10 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

Really? I don't think he's proven that at all.

I'm sure he's on this here boards in the first place to debate with YOU lol.
Not because he's a Rangers fan.
Not because he would like his favorite team AND ALL PLAYERS ON IT(even Brashear lol) to be the best possible.
Not because he sees obvious dysfunction on the team and calls it out.
...but because he wants to argue with YOU.

I think he's proven, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the main strategy of defending Rozsival is to chip at those who don't like how Rozsival plays when it counts-not his face, or number, or you for supporting him...I still personally like/respect any and all Rangers fans, regardless of what they claim to see. (Sincerely<>no sarcasm)

In this debate, with only one side ever showing they're willing to concede, I'd say the only side WANTING things to happen for this one is the side that a)Defends Rozsival and b)WILL NOT AGREE WITH ANYTHING that's said by those that don't let his major **** ups go unseen.

It's like when people take those who simply ask questions and don't believe our government and label them as "crazy conspiracy theorists".

Old
04-16-2010, 10:13 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

...I really hate not being able to edit...

I think he's proven, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the main strategy of defending Rozsival is to chip at those who don't like how Rozsival plays when it counts-not BECAUSE we don't like his face, or number, or you for supporting him...I still personally like/respect any and all Rangers fans, regardless of what they claim to see. (Sincerely<>no sarcasm)