Post Season Q & A with Fletcher

Old
04-14-2010, 05:27 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Post Season Q & A with Fletcher

From Wild.com http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id...id=DL|MIN|home

For those interested: (there's really nothing special in it...)

Quote:
Chuck Fletcher Q & A
Wednesday, 04.14.2010 / 12:56 PM / Features By Glen Andresen - Managing Editor

Minnesota Wild General Manager has made no secret that he was disappointed in the team's past season. Despite the team's great run beginning in mid-November through January, and the acquisition of some key players, Fletcher measures success only in wins. He didn't see enough this season, so he's already taking steps to identify how the team can improve after his first year as a General Manager, and Todd Richards' first year as an NHL head coach.

Fletcher sat down with Wild.com to briefly look back, and look ahead to an important offseason.

Wild.com: Your first year is in the books, and now it’s on to preparing for year two. Where do you start?

Chuck Fletcher: I don’t think I’m done looking at the first year yet. You have to analyze the previous year, and look at the areas we excelled in and where we didn’t. You have to identify the ways to improve. From there, we’ll have planning meetings with the staff regarding the Draft, Free agency and the scouting combine. The third stage will be the action stage, and that’s where we’ll start filling in the roster through the draft, trades and free agency.

But we have plenty of time to thoroughly analyze where we need to improve and how we need to go about doing that. You want to look at the previous season, but you also want to continue scouting through the end of May and into June.

Wild.com: As you prepare, I assume you'll be closely monitoring this year’s playoffs. When you watch these games, how much does playoff performance factor into your opinion of a player that you may target in the offseason?

CF: Certainly. We have a lot of quality, veteran scouts on our staff and as a group we’ve been watching players for several years. So we always take into account a player’s performance, his consistency over the regular season and how he performs in critical games. Those games could be regular season games, or playoff games.

We’ll have people scouting different playoff series, and we’ll also have a video library of a lot of the games that we’ll be able to refer back to over the summer, and next season as needed.

The scouting will continue at both the amateur and the professional levels, including the world championships for the next four to six weeks. Once those games are coming to an end will be when we actually start many of our meetings.

Last edited by GopherState: 04-14-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Copyright Abuse
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I liked some of the young players we acquired over the season. I liked the two college free agents – Casey Wellman and Nate Prosser – that we were able to sign. I felt they came in and showed some of their potential.
Good to see that he liked Casey!

I also found it interesting that Fletcher was pretty outgoing about Bouchard and his plans for next year.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
se7en
infamous...

Definitly, I listened to a pondcast where Fletch was saying how impressed he was with our 2 latest additions. I've personally been extremely impressed with Wellman!

As far as PMB, I wonder what the timeline is looking like with him? I think he would have helped alot this season. I also think he would have made Havlat into more of a shooter then he was! haha

What's the longest a player has been out with a concussion & still come back?

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote