HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Any Advice for my Brother?

Old
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Any Advice for my Brother?

Here's the deal. He's 13 years old, and just started playing hockey a year ago. He's advanced pretty rapidly since then, he made the Rep team this year in only his second year in hockey--the kid has natural talent oozing out of him- he was the best offensive player on his team and his skating has improved a ton. However, he is small (not short, but skinny), get's knocked off his feet pretty easily- it doesn't phase him though, and his shot isn't as hard as some of the other kids- he usually relies on accuracy and finesse for his goals. Do you guys know of any drills I can do with him to help him:

1: Gain power in his stride- he's quick but lacks a powerful stride
2: Improve his shot power
3: Quick stops, pivots are starts.

Thanks, it is greatly appreciated. The good thing is, he enjoys hockey a lot and wants to get better.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Chairman Maouth

vCash: 50
If he's already playing rep that's awesome. Rep means more ice-time and that's the most important thing.

Those things you mentioned are fine. Just get him as much ice time as you can. Doesn't have to be when playing in a league. You might be able to find a casual hockey night somewhere, or a casual league. That can supplement his league play. Getting actual ice time cannot be stressed enough.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
If he's already playing rep that's awesome. Rep means more ice-time and that's the most important thing.

Those things you mentioned are fine. Just get him as much ice time as you can. Doesn't have to be when playing in a league. You might be able to find a casual hockey night somewhere, or a casual league. That can supplement his league play. Getting actual ice time cannot be stressed enough.
Thanks a lot- the good thing is, is that we have a rink in town open all year-round, with open ice (for hockey) every day. He is also playing 3 on 3 this summer.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Chairman Maouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Truculence View Post
Thanks a lot- the good thing is, is that we have a rink in town open all year-round, with open ice (for hockey) every day. He is also playing 3 on 3 this summer.
Sounds like he's got a lot going for him; available ice time and a supportive brother. Get him on the ice as much as he can handle it. You can be his coach there and work on stops/starts/explosive sprints and all the basics. And don't forget that just because he appears to be a forward that he shouldn't also know how to skate backwards. Make sure he can do good smooth crossovers both forwards and backwards. Work on skating. If he can't do that, he can't go anywhere.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Sounds like he's got a lot going for him; available ice time and a supportive brother. Get him on the ice as much as he can handle it. You can be his coach there and work on stops/starts/explosive sprints and all the basics. And don't forget that just because he appears to be a forward that he shouldn't also know how to skate backwards. Make sure he can do good smooth crossovers both forwards and backwards. Work on skating. If he can't do that, he can't go anywhere.
Thanks a lot for the advice!!! He just got cut from AAA tonight, although the coach remarked that he was amazed that he had only been playing for two years, which is pretty encouraging. And yes, skating is going to be the main focus.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Chairman Maouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Truculence View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice!!! He just got cut from AAA tonight, although the coach remarked that he was amazed that he had only been playing for two years, which is pretty encouraging. And yes, skating is going to be the main focus.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Getting promoted to a better league too fast can be a bad thing. Make sure he handles that appropriately and understands that. Besides, I agree with the coach; it is amazing that he even got a shot at AAA with his experience. Maybe next year. And if he's developed that well in such a short time, I think his development could even pick up more from here on out. Ice time.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Hrad

I agree. Ice time is where the party's at.

Think of it this way...If he's an average shooter and average hitter, if he can just skate right by everyone, there's hardly a need for those skills!

I don't mean that he should have a grandma shot all his life, but skating is definitely the #1 thing in hockey. Skating will make or break a hockey player.

So lots of ice time!

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Chairman Maouth

If he's tall and skinny he'll probably still fill out quite a bit too.

Old
04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
HowToHockey

Not everyone will be perfect in every aspect of the game. I am pretty sure gretzky could barely even do a chin-up

One big thing that players should learn is to play to their strengths, yes he should work on being a great all around player, but while he is on the ice, make sure he does what he does best. Work on weak points during practice.

As a younger player I was always the smallest guy on my team (I didn't fill out until about 17 - 18) I was quick, so I tried to skate by as many players as I could, instead of knocking them all over, or stickhandling around each player.

Also for throwing hits I learned how to throw a mean hip check and took out some players that were much bigger than me (not to often through for fear of retaliation)

I was a pest in front of the net, and I was little. You and your brother can practice this together, get a stick each and one ball and play keep away in a small area, the idea is for him to learn to protect the puck and use his body to block you and push you away.

After a while he will learn that if he widens his stance, and positions his weight properly, he will get an advantage over other players who are even bigger then him. It looks great if a small player who knows how to use his weight can displace bigger players who are not confident on skates.

I hope that helps

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote