HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Possible collusion charges...

Old
04-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Possible collusion charges...

With the MLBPA considering collusion charges for all the underpayments of UFA's this past offseason, will the NHLPA follow suit? I read a story this past summer about player agents being upset about the poor contract offers they were receiving but never heard a follow up. With Don Fehr now in the mix in the NHLPA, it would seem like a possibility. Anyone hear of any news on this recently?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Graves View Post
With the MLBPA considering collusion charges for all the underpayments of UFA's this past offseason, will the NHLPA follow suit? I read a story this past summer about player agents being upset about the poor contract offers they were receiving but never heard a follow up. With Don Fehr now in the mix in the NHLPA, it would seem like a possibility. Anyone hear of any news on this recently?
With NHL player compensation fixed at the specified percentage, there is no chance of this happening.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:51 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

With a cap linked directly to revenue, there is very little incentive to do so. Colluding in a large group is very hard to pull off.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1429
MLB has no cap and the NHL does

with so many team with 3mill of the cap--wont hold water

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Midnight

Under the current CBA, the players as a whole receive a pre-defined percentage of the league's hockey-related revenues. If their (summed) compensation terms are too low for some reason, they will all receive additional money at the end of the season to make up the difference. So there's really no problem for the NHLPA in that regard.

It is possible for the NHLPA to pursue grievances for unfair treatment of selected individual players, but such an occurrence is probably extremely unlikely.

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
FissionFire

Unless the NHLPA has a "Jack Morris" that they can point to and clearly show collusion I don't see how they could even consider going public. It'd be another PR blow to the "greedy players" who would be seen as whining about not getting enough money when even the lowest paid players are in the top 1-5% of income earners in North America.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Randall Graves*

Well I would still hedge my bets that it is going on, just a gut feeling. Oh well, hopefully the players go on strike soon and clean the ******* owners clocks so they can be fairly paid again instead of suffering under a system that steals money from them and their families.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Fairly paid? Dude. If I make in 10 years what the lowest paid NHLer makes in one... I don't think this is about fair pay.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Fairly paid? Dude. If I make in 10 years what the lowest paid NHLer makes in one... I don't think this is about fair pay.
500k is what the lowest paid nhler makes. 50 grand a year is a good income, but nothing great.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:12 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Yes, but 500K is not starvation wages, which is what was seemingly implied.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
No evidence, therefor no case. The argument can easily be made that teams are just being mindful of the cap space and more discerning about their free agent pickups.

MLB is known for collusion cause they've been caught doing it in the past. In a league with no cap where the top 10 teams just spend til their hearts content, There's more motive for the mid tier teams to agree to not get into bidding wars on players.

With a strict salary cap in place, an NHL motive for not spending is more about their own budget plan and working within their own cap space and not getting hung up in salary cap hell like NY Rangers and Chicago have.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote