HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another whackjob idea from the cat....

Old
04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Another whackjob idea from the cat....

Ah yes, another theory of hockey from my crazy twisted mind: loose lips sink trades.

You ever wonder why there is NEVER any noise on trades from the Preds? No whispers, no hints, not even any words of bwah? from Eklund?

SImply put, rumors drive up the price of trades. Let us look at trade offers on HF. When we look at the trades we see the traditional pu pu platter of Oh Gawd! for your star player but in the NHL this really does happen. Every time a trade is hinted at, people speculate. Arm chair GMs try and make deals and try NEVER understand values. People don't understand the jump in value an NHL player has to an AHL player to a CHL player. Because of this people tend to over or underpay a player. This speculation occurs in the media and is intensified even more with sports talk radio. (WHo is the first person the radio stations call for analysis and information on an NHL team? The local homer report who's not much better than one of us except they have a bigger vocabulary.) These guys have prejudices like us and probably deeper ones simply because they know the human aspects of the players, they have a relationship with the player. Because of this there is no perspective and trades tend to be lopsided one way or another.

As much as GMs try to be rational they listen to these guys. Why? They have the ear of the fans. They are the ones feeding the information to the people. And if the people are expecting value A, they don't want to be disappointed or plesently surprised. If you piss off the fans there is a chance they don't show up or put political and media pressure on upper management which means the GM is risking their job with every move. That's why Poile is silent. He KNOWS this effect. With every media rumor, the value of the potiential trade is skewerd. Especially with a trade with a Canadian team. Do you think the Preds could have gotten Grebs with just a 2nd in the Canadian media? How about Boyd? Pure and simple the Canadian homer media has a lot of power over GMs and they are expecting value A even if it's unrealistic. There isn't that pressure with Poile but he doesn't want the value of a trade altered. If he can keep the media presence low, he can keep the value realistic.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
well, Eklund has always had his share of Preds rumours... now whether there was even a shred of truth to them, who knows?

but yeah, polie never says squat, at least almost never... which is why I was flabbergasted when he disclosed that we were actively seeking kessel so completely un-poile thatto this day I still wonder if there wasnt some other motivation...

I guess if Boston trades us something of value relatively cheap this summer we'll know.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, Eklund has always had his share of Preds rumours... now whether there was even a shred of truth to them, who knows?

but yeah, polie never says squat, at least almost never... which is why I was flabbergasted when he disclosed that we were actively seeking kessel so completely un-poile thatto this day I still wonder if there wasnt some other motivation...

I guess if Boston trades us something of value relatively cheap this summer we'll know.
Maybe. Boston DOES have a bunch of 2nds and Nashville DOES have a need for MORE picks.

Edit: Well let's see. If Nashville does find a way to sign Hamhuis they will have Grebs as an RFA and a bunch of young D men that might be attacktive to Boston......And they do have 3 2nds Nashville would be happy to grab........

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 04-15-2010 at 12:00 PM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:28 AM
WalkmanX

Interesting thought process and i do agree with you, but i think either way Grebs isn't/wasn't really worth more than a 2nd on the deadline, but on the other hand Boyd was a complete steal for a 4th in my mind.

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 04:49 AM
goalscorer

Interesting thought.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote