HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Warning: Do Not Buy The Ccm Octogun

Old
04-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Warning: Do Not Buy The Ccm Octogun

This is an AWFUL stick. I purchased one way back in January and on my first slap shot I saw the flex point flex WAY too hard and it snapped in half... I waited a couple more weeks and purchased another one... This one lasted longer, very light stick, great for puck handling, but yet again on a not-even-spectacular slapshot I snap it RIGHT on the flex point... The Octogun is NOT for players with hard shots and put alot of flex right in the kick point.

Anybody else have problems with the Octogun? I had a couple of my teammates tell me they've had friends who've broken a lot of them too.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Saved

vCash: 500
Don't buy price point sticks that are mass manufactured to avoid this problem.

Also, what were you so infamous for before your name change?

Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
This is an AWFUL stick. I purchased one way back in January and on my first slap shot I saw the flex point flex WAY too hard and it snapped in half... I waited a couple more weeks and purchased another one... This one lasted longer, very light stick, great for puck handling, but yet again on a not-even-spectacular slapshot I snap it RIGHT on the flex point... The Octogun is NOT for players with hard shots and put alot of flex right in the kick point.

Anybody else have problems with the Octogun? I had a couple of my teammates tell me they've had friends who've broken a lot of them too.
Blanket statements like this make me . Sticks break on shots, for the most part, because of preexisting damage to the stick or user error. They don't break because they were made for light-wrist-shot taking Lilliputians. Maybe the octagonal taper is just a bad design in general, but saying its not for players with hard shots is false. Maybe you're eating ice with your shot, who knows?

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
One of the better players I know uses nothing but octogun 50s. He has an amazing slapper and takes tons of one-timers. They've only broken on real serious slashes.

If the stick design was that terrible I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have made it CCM's #2 stick in the 2010 line.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
greech

It's a revised design as the OctoLight with a square handle for 2010, no?

Old
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

If you snap sticks too easily consider a stiffer flex or re-evaluate your mechanics.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
greech

With the right mechanics, there is no fault in using a lower flex.

Old
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
It's a revised design as the OctoLight with a square handle for 2010, no?
Yeah, and the materials from the crazy light.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post

All sticks (except customs of course) are mass manufactured and at every price point...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Heat McManus

there's more than one Octogun. which one are you talking about? Did you buy them from the same shop? If so, then you might have gotten a bad batch. **** happens.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well there's a reason the stick was only out for about 5 minutes before they were replaced...I haven't heard anything good about it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:25 PM
playoffhero

I have several octoguns and they are all fine for me.

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post

Being a chronically lying 16 year old about 3 years ago.

Now people just bring it up to give me ****. I really don't care (obviously) cuz I find it funny that people will still bring it up. I consider myself a good poster here even though I have such a bad (and incredibly immature) past.

And the stuff that happened didn't even happen here it happened over on the Avs main boards.

Oh and the name change wasn't related... You can easily see my old username by puting your curser over my username now... Not too much of a secret.. If I wanted to hide I woulda made a brand new account right? Right

Old
04-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Blanket statements like this make me . Sticks break on shots, for the most part, because of preexisting damage to the stick or user error. They don't break because they were made for light-wrist-shot taking Lilliputians. Maybe the octagonal taper is just a bad design in general, but saying its not for players with hard shots is false. Maybe you're eating ice with your shot, who knows?
That may be it... I have a Reebok that I use as my back up that weighs as much as a brick and it's got a really stiff flex and I have no problem with it... these octoguns had a really thin area (the octogon) that would flex like crazy and I know on my slapshots I usually come down too hard and too far behind hte puck sometimes.

Old
04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
greech

Yeah, if the sticks are blowing up like that you're taking too much ice. Just focus on using your lower body as much as your arms when shooting.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Stick To Your Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
All sticks (except customs of course) are mass manufactured and at every price point...
Pretty sure Flarrow are not mass manufactured, could be wrong.

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Hockeyfan68

I know using a flex too stiff for someone will break sticks.

But this being said this is one thread that makes me feel good about Harrow shafts and sticks. While heavier than the expensive highend sticks they are extremely durable and the performance of the stick is exceptional to begin with more importantly.

I am never buying a $200+ stick after reading some the stories in here over the last year and a half or whatever.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 01:44 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Yeah, if the sticks are blowing up like that you're taking too much ice. Just focus on using your lower body as much as your arms when shooting.
Totally correct. There's usually 1 out of 50 guys who does this constantly and always blames his stick.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:23 AM
SpringfieldSkins

I just bought a CCM Octogun two days ago. It was cheap and I wanted to try a different curve. Plus I needed a new back up (or primary). We'll see how well this one does.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:13 AM
MJAYK

I have an Octogun 30. It seems pretty durable to me. A small piece has chipped off of the bottom of the blade, but i put a few extra layers of tape there and i've had no problems. The only problem i have with this stick is the blade. The lie is very open. All of my shots go over the net straight to the plexiglass. Only my slapshots go where i want them to. I rarely use slapshots so that's not very comforting.

Going to start the next season with a 2-piece and experiment with some closed blades.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Why did you buy the stick again if it was such a piece of garbage to start with?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post
I just bought a CCM Octogun two days ago. It was cheap and I wanted to try a different curve. Plus I needed a new back up (or primary). We'll see how well this one does.
What curve did you get? CCM lies with their curves I think my first one was an Ovechkin curve and that thing was almost dead STRAIGHT...

Not exactly true in real life...
My next one was a Lecavalier curve... that thing was like a banana...

The one I'm using now is a Modano 4K stick... Just a cheap backup I have and it's really stiff and not good for puckhandling... But I've scored more goals with this one than any other stick so I guess I'll just keep this one... Even if it is a piece of ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Why did you buy the stick again if it was such a piece of garbage to start with?
I just thought I bought a faulty stick... Plus I really like how it looked/felt/handled (gonna sound like a ****** but the white matches my skates, gloves, and helmet).

Old
04-16-2010, 11:08 AM
greech

Not to burst your bubble...but the retail sticks (eg., that Ovechkin you bought at your LHS) are completely different from the pro-stock curves that each player uses. The nomenclature associated with patterns is for ease of identification as well as a marketing angle for the company, but if you want an Ovie toe cure like that, you're going to have to go hunting through pro returns.

Old
04-17-2010, 05:41 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
What curve did you get? CCM lies with their curves I think my first one was an Ovechkin curve and that thing was almost dead STRAIGHT...

My next one was a Lecavalier curve... that thing was like a banana...
It's an Octogun 20, Ovehkin curve. I wasn't necessarily into it but it seemed to be the best one in stock at my LHS.

My other stick is a U+ with a Lecavalier curve (great minds).

Exactly the same story with the curves. The Ovechkin is very mild compared to the Lecavalier. I might like the Ovehckin curve a little better though with the toe on it. I haven't used it (and won't) until next Sunday.

Another thing I'll mention. The Octogun (Ovechkin curve) is about 1-1/2 inches shorter in the shaft than the U+ (Lecavalier) which I wanted. I felt that the Lecavalier was too long and didn't really want to cut it. The Octogun was also about 1/2-1/4 inch shorter in the blade than the U+.

Old
04-17-2010, 05:43 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Not to burst your bubble...but the retail sticks (eg., that Ovechkin you bought at your LHS) are completely different from the pro-stock curves that each player uses. The nomenclature associated with patterns is for ease of identification as well as a marketing angle for the company, but if you want an Ovie toe cure like that, you're going to have to go hunting through pro returns.
I was under the assumption that they were modified by the equipment team. Not that the curve Ovechkin gets on his stick is just like the retail version, but that they equipment guys on each team do a little retooling as well.