HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fulfilling Our Biggest Needs in the 2010 Offseason

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2010, 08:44 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Does anyone know the date a player needs to file for arbitration by?
I think its by July 1st isn't it? or 11:59 PM on June 30th?

Old
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I think its by July 1st isn't it? or 11:59 PM on June 30th?
I don't know but if that's the case I don't think he can sign an offer sheet as well. It's one or the other I believe. No offer sheet, no compensation.

I would be shocked if, barring a deal with the Yotes before July 1, he doesn't file for arbitration.

I guess what I'm saying is I see very little chance that the team gets a draft pick in any transaction involving Wolski. It will either sign him or lose him for nothing.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I would have to agree. Having said that, I'd be very surprised if he isn't a Coyote next season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-06-2010, 11:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

By the way, everyone should take a close look at th Zherdev ruling. He was the same age as Wolski will be. Look at all the numbers. Wolski should not be awarded a penny more. The Coyotes should be happy to agree to any award at least a penny less.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
PHX, I'm not suggesting that Wolski for picks makes any sense. My only point is that 1st round picks don't have to be used to select kids at the draft. Having picks does not necessarily mean that you are rebuilding. That's all
Posted via Mobile Device
That wasn't really directed at you, but just at the thought of Wolski being let go for draft picks. If we can get a top 6 player for one of our 1st round picks this year, I'd say do it. What we do lack is game breaking talent. So far he is one of the few that have shown the ability to be a top flight player in this league. I for one, have been very impressed with his ability to create offense out of nothing. This isn't new to me because I have seen what WW is capable of, but he has exceeded my expectations offensively in a defensive first system. PPG player on our team is something I really want to keep around. I hope both sides come to an agreement on something reasonable.

Old
04-07-2010, 05:15 AM
white_tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Yeesh! How much longer are we paying Dave Scatchard??? That guy made out like a bandit. No wonder he was at the BK proceedings.
Remember when you buy out a guy he gets his full pay but spread out over 2 times the years.. ie Dave had 2 years left it was spread out over 4.

Old
04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

PHX, I don't think we can afford to pay another top six guy. Keeping guys like Michalek, Lombardi, Stempniak, Upshall, Wolski, Aucoin, Morris, etc. Will be hard enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-07-2010, 07:48 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
PHX, I don't think we can afford to pay another top six guy. Keeping guys like Michalek, Lombardi, Stempniak, Upshall, Wolski, Aucoin, Morris, etc. Will be hard enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. I'm just hoping we can sign our own guys.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
I would have to agree. Having said that, I'd be very surprised if he isn't a Coyote next season.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you're right. Maloney knows the scoop and I doubt he trades Mueller and Porter if he doesn't think he can sign Wolski or isn't prepared to pay what an arbitrator decides.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Hate to bring up an off-season discussion thread on the brink of the playoffs, but this little tidbit from Michalek might potentially be a harbinger of the summer to come for him.

Quote:
While representing the Czech Republic at the Olympics, Michalek had the opportunity to play alongside his brother Milan of the Ottawa Senators. And his fondest memory from the Olympics is the quality time the two shared in Vancouver.

“It was our dream to be on one team, and when it came true, especially at a tournament like the Olympics and in Canada, it was amazing to share the experience with him,” Michalek said. “We were roommates and we hung out together everyday… Our family was there and it was so much fun off the ice and on the ice, too. I hope we’ll get another chance sometime in the future to play together again.”
Ottawa needs to bolster their defense. Seems like a logical fit. Might take a lot of $ to keep him here.

Old
04-15-2010, 02:09 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Milan Michalek is gone for the remainder of the season as he will need knee surgery.

Michalek re-injured his knee during the first period of Game 1 on Wednesday. "He tore his ACL completely and will be out until training camp next year. That's the tough news of the day," GM Bryan Murray said. "We just have to count on the group playing real hard together." Nick Foligno took his spot at practice on Thursday alongside Mike Fisher and Matt Cullen. Apr. 15 - 2:02 pm et
Source: Ottawa Sun
I think this is his fourth knee surgery.

Old
04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Ottawa needs to bolster their defense. Seems like a logical fit. Might take a lot of $ to keep him here.
Depends on what you mean by "a lot of money." Good shutdown defensemen are invaluable, but they typically don't command enormous contracts. More than any dollar amount, I suspect the question simply will come down to whether or not he wants to re-sign here.

And keep in mind, this was in the context of a reporter asking him about playing with Milan. What else would he say? I wouldn't read all that much into it.

Old
04-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Hate to bring up an off-season discussion thread on the brink of the playoffs, but this little tidbit from Michalek might potentially be a harbinger of the summer to come for him.

And we need to bolster our offense, bring Milan here

Old
04-15-2010, 07:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Let's just keep our own players. That includes Z.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Reading through this thread, it certainly does not appear as if Pyatt is very high on the list of priorities for Phoenix which of course makes all kinds of sense given your roster and the prospects waiting in the wings.

Being a fan of a team with a very different roster construction, absolutely no money to throw at capable wingers and very few legit prospects, I am very interested in him as a very poor man's Malone for Malkin's wing though.
Especially after having caught the Wings game and a few of you last regular season games.

So - two questions.

1: We all know he has limited scoring talent and is streaky, but Pyatt was great cycling the puck and forechecking against the Wings and in other games I've seen. He was physical and seemed very responsible managing the puck. Is this - as I believe it to be - the norm for him this season?
2: Has there been any word on the kind of contract Pyatt is looking for next season?

Thanks in advance.

Old
04-16-2010, 03:44 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
And we need to bolster our offense, bring Milan here
Zbynek and an injury prone Milan, or neither Michalek brother in Phoenix. I would seriously have to think about that.

Old
04-16-2010, 11:10 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
1: We all know he has limited scoring talent and is streaky, but Pyatt was great cycling the puck and forechecking against the Wings and in other games I've seen. He was physical and seemed very responsible managing the puck. Is this - as I believe it to be - the norm for him this season?
When Pyatt plays physical and uses his big body, he's a valuable asset who can at best create scoring opportunities, at worst break the opposite top line's rhythm and keep the puck in the offensive zone. The problem is he's not always inclined to do this. And when he doesn't, he's absolutely useless - completely invisible. He had to be scratched a few times. Right now it looks like he's getting the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
2: Has there been any word on the kind of contract Pyatt is looking for next season?

Thanks in advance.
No, haven't heard anything, but based on this year's performance, I could see him getting a small increase (he did play most games after all and scored 12 goals), but I don't think he's worth more than $ 1 M. At least not as a 4th line plugger. And I don't think he'd be doing well in a top-6 role.

Last edited by zz: 04-16-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old
04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
When Pyatt plays physical and uses his big body, he's a valuable asset who can at best create scoring opportunities, at worst break the opposite top line's rhythm and keep the puck in the offensive zone. The problem is he's not always inclined to do this. And when he doesn't, he's absolutely useless - completely invisible. He had to be scratched a few times. Right now it looks like he's getting the message.
Pretty good summary. He's had a lot of unnoticable games, but does seem to have shown more consistency in the second half of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
No, haven't heard anything, but based on this year's performance, I could see him getting a small increase (he did play most games after all and scored 12 goals), but I don't think he's worth more than $ 1 M. At least not as a 4th line plugger. And I don't think he's be doing well in a top-6 role.
I could see him maybe getting $1.2m to $1.3m but I doubt more than that.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Upshall - Lombardi - Stempniak
Frolov - Wolski - Doan
Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata
Nokelainen - Fiddler - Korpikoski

Extras: Winnik, Biz, Turris?

Jovo - Z
Yandle - Morris
Open - Aucoin
Open

Open fight: Goncharov, OEL, Summers, Vandermeer, Lepisto

Important Questions:

1.) What's our biggest need?
- I think it's another top 6 player, either a LW or Center. We can't afford players like Marleau (not that I want him) so I picked Frolov who would do well on a line with Doan

2.) Do we want to keep this years lines mostly intact?
- This refers to Prucha, Nokelainen and Korpkikoski. They are interchangeable pluggers but you can't argue with what they bring to the table, and where it has gotten us so far.

3.) And after deciding above, where do you slot in players who need NHL ice time?
- I think this is a situational problem we have, and it comes with having a coach like Tippett. They over-reacted a bit and got lots of tweeners and veterans to plug up our holes. The problem is that we need to give NHL time to guys like Turris and MacLean to see what we have.

Old
04-16-2010, 02:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We can barely afford to hang on to our own guys. I don't see us spending money on someone like Frolov. Just keep what we have and see what happens. I know its boring, but its worked so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
MP

Quote:
We can barely afford to hang on to our own guys. I don't see us spending money on someone like Frolov. Just keep what we have and see what happens. I know its boring, but its worked so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. The roster will look a lot better with Upshall back in the lineup alongside Wolski, Stempniak, Doan, and Lombardi. I really like the way all of those guys have been able to fit in here. And I haven't given up on the possibility that one of our top forward prospects will be NHL-ready next year.

Old
04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Prentice*

[QUOTE=rt;25215957]We can barely afford to hang on to our own guys. I don't see us spending money on someone like Frolov. Just keep what we have and see what happens. I know its boring, but its worked so far.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

Agreed. We need a top center, only. All should remain as is.

Old
04-16-2010, 02:56 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

[QUOTE=EmperorTippett;25216478]
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

Agreed. We need a top center, only. All should remain as is.
Our top centre is Kyle Turris (in due time). I don't forsee the Coyotes spending a mint through free agency or trade to acquire an established No. 1 C. I don't think there's much out there in this year's UFA class, and the cost would be too steep through trade. We want to stay the course with our prospect/draft pick depth.

Old
04-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

I think in all reality, these decisions on what we need will come down to how much money Reinsdorf will make available to us in the offseason. GMDM seems to do well under a budget, so I'm excited to see what he can do for us. I agree with XX in that we need another top 6 forward. Like I said before, we have that sound defense thanks to Tippett, now I think we should work on getting some scorers. Now I'm not saying trade away the core wingers and centers that got us to where we are today, I'm just talking about 1 solid 2 way player, who's main upside is scoring. I After watching the Kings for a long time, I agree that Frolov would be a good decision because he is smart defensively too. Maybe not Frolov, but a player like him. I'm all for grabbing Marleau if we have the money. Maybe he wants to stay on the West and he is intrigued by our play this season and wants to give it a shot? I don't see the harm of just throwing him an offer that GMDM thinks is fair, if he takes he takes, if not then so be it. We have known Don to make solid signings before, I have confidence he can do it again. Maybe Maloney just has a way with words?

Old
04-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Kaizen

A lineup with Stempniak and Upshall is probably the best case scenario.

We don't know Stemp's asking price or the budget under JR but I think its safe to say that Stempniak with try and find a balance between his UFA payday and a cozy spot in the Arizona Coyotes lineup?

Closed Thread