HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Digital Game Download vs Physical CD

Old
04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
What difference does it make, it's the same crap.
Not if you use your chequing account.

Towers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Ranger Wolf

vCash: 500
Digital only. Besides, if I don't have a physical box and disc my wife can't complain about me having too many games.

I would also be all for consoles going only digital as long as they offered a service like Steam where you could uninstall/reinstall at will. And no DRM.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Not saying you're wrong but I'm just wondering how they're different. I haven't encountered anything weird yet.

Aside from not having a physical manual I mean.

If you have a good internet connection it shouldn't be an issue. I had Bad Company 2 downloaded in 20 minutes and installed in 5/10 minutes. That's a lot faster than going out to Gamestop. Dragon Age took me 1 hour to download and 20 to install. That hour wasn't bad because I got to preload it the day before.

Not to mention aside from Futureshop/Bestbuy I've noticed that the selection of PC games is dwindling
This tipped the scale for me. I've always liked owning a physical copy of my games, but PC gamings is being phased out of the games only retail store in favour of consoles, especially in video game specialty stores like Gamestop/EB Games. When I started PC gaming there was always an entire wall devoted to PC gaming, with plenty of used games available to find those out of date goodies. Now you're lucky if they even get a section on the wall, and they stopped buying & selling used PC games a few years ago. Futureshop/Bestbuy still stocks lots of PC games but you're going to be hard pressed finding some of the 1+ year old games there.

So it was about this time last year when Empire: Total War came out that I was driving around on launch day to buy it but couldn't find it anywhere, and being told to come back in a week, that I finally said **** it and converted to digital. Got home installed steam and was playing within an hour or two.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This tipped the scale for me. I've always liked owning a physical copy of my games, but PC gamings is being phased out of the games only retail store in favour of consoles, especially in video game specialty stores like Gamestop/EB Games. When I started PC gaming there was always an entire wall devoted to PC gaming, with plenty of used games available to find those out of date goodies. Now you're lucky if they even get a section on the wall, and they stopped buying & selling used PC games a few years ago. Futureshop/Bestbuy still stocks lots of PC games but you're going to be hard pressed finding some of the 1+ year old games there.

So it was about this time last year when Empire: Total War came out that I was driving around on launch day to buy it but couldn't find it anywhere, and being told to come back in a week, that I finally said **** it and converted to digital. Got home installed steam and was playing within an hour or two.
I agree, personally I was sort of shocked when I walked in those EB Games shops to see the very small amount of PC games, I remember a few years ago as you said, they had a whole wall deticated for that, it's quite a shame really, ahh I guess digital it is, I just hope game development does not get killed either, specially for RPG games since unlike FPS and RTS, they translate very nicely on consoles.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 05:44 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Physical CD copies FTW!!!!

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

There's no real benefit to digital anything, physical all the way baby.

Great argument for this? Every original Xbox game will shortly lose it's online support. All that DLC will become useless or won't be able to be re-downloaded ever again. With digital you own NOTHING, no re-sale or trade value there. Try selling your Steam Account with it's games, it'll probally be banned.

Sure i'll buy some DLC here and there and some XBLA games, but I always go disc for the big stuff. Bought the Fallout 3, Dragon Age & Oblivion Expansions on disc.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Please name the last PC game that you were able to trade in for serious value.

Towers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Birko19

Well I got Mass Effect 1+2, it took more than a day to download them but finally I got them, I'm starting to like the no CD thing, I kind of wish I did not buy the other PC games on CD but oh well, Steam it is from now on.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote