HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebeshkov

Old
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
lugnut76

vCash: 500
I would prefer to see Franson in the lineup over Klein. Franson may be slow of foot but Klein is slow in decision making, which to me is just as dangerous when facing a team with speedy forwards that can get on you in a hurry and forecheck.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:32 PM
lightning_legwand*

I also think that Franson has way more of an upside than Klein.
Let him play!!

I def. think Grebs should be in though, he is the best for now out of the trio!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

At this point Klein is the better all around defenseman than Franson. Klein is good for a brianfart or two a game, Franson at least one per. Franson is incapable of closing on any forward who gets a step on him. I'd actually like to see a race between Cody and a glacier ... should be a close one.

The issue with Grebeshkov is that he has a tendency to pinch more than he should. Of the three, Franson loses out if all are healthy. It's just a matter of where each is in their development curve.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:49 PM
jlsg

There can be an argument over Grebs vs Franson, but to sit Klein over Franson isn't even a close call. Klein has an ave of 6 or 7 shifts more per game. Klein plays against better opponents then Franson. Klein has 3 times the number of blocked shots (22nd in the league in blocked shots) , twice as many hits and more takeaways. Only player to play more PK is Hamhuis. Franson does have fewer givewaways and more points. It should be noted that Klein 4th on the list in giveaways. Weber is right behind him, maybe we should sit him for Franson.
Now Klein has his moments, but Franson has had his as well. You don't see them simply because he's not on the ice as much, and for good reason.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Grebs looked very good again today at practice. Ran PP2 slightly better than Franson IMO and like Franson makes things look effortless with the puck. Franson looked good too and I'm not going to make any type of decision there.

My opinion of Klein's practice habits are well-documented and again today he left so much to be desired at several points throughout the practice. He simply doesn't take practice seriously, which I in turn believe leads to his slow decision-making out on the ice in games...thankfully for him though, I'm not on the coaching staff...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
There can be an argument over Grebs vs Franson, but to sit Klein over Franson isn't even a close call. Klein has an ave of 6 or 7 shifts more per game. Klein plays against better opponents then Franson. Klein has 3 times the number of blocked shots (22nd in the league in blocked shots) , twice as many hits and more takeaways. Only player to play more PK is Hamhuis. Franson does have fewer givewaways and more points. It should be noted that Klein 4th on the list in giveaways. Weber is right behind him, maybe we should sit him for Franson.
Now Klein has his moments, but Franson has had his as well. You don't see them simply because he's not on the ice as much, and for good reason.
Great summary of why Klein vs. Franson isn't really a legitimate discussion at this point in their respective careers...

Old
04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I like Grebs, I really do. But he hasn't played with the team since before the Olympics. I have a bad feeling throwing him in right now is gonna mess with the team chemistry. The D pairings so far, haven't been broken, so why fix it? IMO it's too big of a risk. But, that's just me.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
I like Grebs, I really do. But he hasn't played with the team since before the Olympics. I have a bad feeling throwing him in right now is gonna mess with the team chemistry. The D pairings so far, haven't been broken, so why fix it? IMO it's too big of a risk. But, that's just me.
Grebs played in the Olympics as a member of the Oilers and joined Nashville the next week. He played in 4 games with the Predators before his surgery.

I'm not gonna count on him being in Game 1 till he starts practicing with a partner other than Belak though...Beeler is actually looking pretty good back there though too...

Old
04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

They will be on the playoff roster simply because A couple of forward won't be playing. Belak, no. Possibly less Tootoo and Smithson or one of the rookie centers.

there will be the stand bys of Weber/Suter (25 minutes) Hamhuis/Defenseman to be named later and most likely with a -ov at the end of his name (20 minutes) Bouillon/Franson/Klein fighting for the other 15. Lots of PP PK specialty time

My question about the defenseman are the following:

Will Weber and Suter see 30 minutes a game much like the Olympics?

Will Hamhuis and partner to be named later see 25 minutes?

Will there be a lot of PK time (Klein) or PP time (Franson) for the Preds to use these guys?

If #3 is yes, then the Preds are going to lose the series.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
You make a very good point

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the less Klein, Bouillon and Franson have to play 5 v. 5 the better.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Predator119

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I disagree about Boullion. That guy strikes me as the playoff warrior type who will eat as much time as the coach will give him and will make the oppositions life hell during that time.

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
it certainly sounds better if you just say you hope Weber, Suter and Hamhuis play as much as possible...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
glenngineer

My guess is Weber/Suter get around 30 a night, Hammer/Klein/Bouillon rotate as a three headed second pairing with Franson getting 8-10 a night. If the three headed monster approach isn't taken I bet we see a lot of Hamhuis/Bouillon with Klein and Franson getting shifts here and there to spell the other 4.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Depth at D is our biggest strength right now since Chicago's D is banged up. We should keep our D fresh and roll them the same as we have been. I don't think Weber and Suter will be playing 30 minutes. It's not Trotz's style and nullifies our depth advantage.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Depth at D is our biggest strength right now since Chicago's D is banged up. We should keep our D fresh and roll them the same as we have been. I don't think Weber and Suter will be playing 30 minutes. It's not Trotz's style and nullifies our depth advantage.
If Suter can play 30 a night at the Olympics and at the level he did, he can handle it come playoff time. I'd rather win or lose with our better players on the ice than to worry about depth and keeping guys fresh. We've had almost a week off, if they're not fresh playing them 5 minutes less a night won't help. I want our best guys on the ice because they're gonna have their top forwards on the ice as much as possible. Pronger/Niedermayer did it in Anaheim, Lidstrom/Rafalski have done it in Detroit for years, these guys are young and one of the top pairs in the league, we need them out on the ice as much as we can.

I understand what you're saying but Trotz was already starting to limit Franson's minutes in the last 10 games or so. I have a funny feeling he's going to limit them in the playoffs as well. We're gonna see Weber/Suter, followed by either Hamhuis/Bouillon or Hamhuis/Klein or Bouillon/Klein, then Weber/Suter again then another combo of the three above and so on and when Suter and Weber are a little gassed, Franson will get some time.

I think Cody has had a good rookie year but this is not the time to give him his regular minutes, especially on the road, because they'll get matchups that will exploit his lack of foot speed. He's good but he has a lot to learn still.

Old
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I'm thinking Trotz leans on Weber/Suter as much as Quenneville leans on Kane/Toews. If they remain on separate lines and are out there 45 minutes a night, Weber and Suter will average 28 minutes a night.

But...Hamhuis has been practicing with Franson throughout the week, so Trotz definitely plans to roll the D as much as possible too...

Old
04-15-2010, 07:09 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm thinking Trotz leans on Weber/Suter as much as Quenneville leans on Kane/Toews. If they remain on separate lines and are out there 45 minutes a night, Weber and Suter will average 28 minutes a night.

But...Hamhuis has been practicing with Franson throughout the week, so Trotz definitely plans to roll the D as much as possible too...
And while that's practice, I'm gonna go with what he's been doing in games. He has used Cody in the first 10 minutes of periods on regular shifts and then goes to a rotation of Hamhuis/Klein/Bouillon as his pairings and limits Cody at that point.

Old
04-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And while that's practice, I'm gonna go with what he's been doing in games. He has used Cody in the first 10 minutes of periods on regular shifts and then goes to a rotation of Hamhuis/Klein/Bouillon as his pairings and limits Cody at that point.
Agreed, Franson will have his minutes limited throughout the playoffs leading to the speculation that Grebeshkov will see the ice sooner, rather than later...

Old
04-15-2010, 09:03 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Agreed, Franson will have his minutes limited throughout the playoffs leading to the speculation that Grebeshkov will see the ice sooner, rather than later...
I agree with you on that. If Franson is playing well, he'll stay in the lineup but if he falters at all I think we see Grebs pretty quick. Sorry for stating the obvious in that one but if I were Trotz, that's what I'd do. I wonder if that puts a lot of pressure on Franson or if he handles the pressure and rises to the challenge of playing a simple yet effective game.

Old
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If Suter can play 30 a night at the Olympics and at the level he did, he can handle it come playoff time.
Actually, no, he didn't. He averaged 22 minutes a night in the Olympics. I never said he couldn't handle it. If it was game 7 in OT, yes, he shouldn't leave the ice. But we currently have one of the deepest bluelines, if not the deepest in the post season. We should utilize that. Web/Sut should play ~25 minutes.

Of course it really all depends on what Chicago does, PP times, PK time, etc. Impossible really to predict now.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Actually, no, he didn't. He averaged 22 minutes a night in the Olympics. I never said he couldn't handle it. If it was game 7 in OT, yes, he shouldn't leave the ice. But we currently have one of the deepest bluelines, if not the deepest in the post season. We should utilize that. Web/Sut should play ~25 minutes.

Of course it really all depends on what Chicago does, PP times, PK time, etc. Impossible really to predict now.
Yet there is no denying that over the years the elite d-men have played 30 minutes a night. pronger and neidermeyer(or however the hell you spell his name) are perfect examples. Just play them like the elite d-men they are.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 04:35 AM
WalkmanX

Well, after all the speculation, we will see tonight, how things go, i am very excited

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

I drafted Grebeshkov 190th overall in our playoff pool..... Of course, I've always been a Grebs fan....

By the way, I have a few Nashville players in my pools & no Chicago players.... So far, so good...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 03:18 PM
PredAlert

Well I don't see any opportunities coming anytime soon now since our D looked very good in game 1. Franson only got 6 minutes of ice-time anyway. I feel for Grebs though, he must be quite frustrated.

PredAlert is offline   Reply With Quote