Notices

Getting To Know Your Playoff Teams

Old
04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Getting To Know Your Playoff Teams

Since it's hard to remember that hockey is being played with the Wild out on the golf course, I figured that it would be nice to help out and get some more information about those playoff teams. You know, as a public service...

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:05 PM
mnwildgophers

Haha, these ought to be good.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Eastern Conference First Round Match-up:
(8) Montreal @ (1) Washington

-Montreal is the unofficial capital of French Canada while Washington DC is the official capital of the United States (no language necessary).

-Capitals fans have sloppy handwriting.

-The Canadiens lead the Stanley Cup race 24-0, although with Ovechkin's contract Washington can make up the difference by the year 2024.

-Lots of "crabby" folks in there.

-A team wearing red will most likely win this series.

-Mike Green makes Jay Leno look like some guy with a 1992 Ford Taurus with his 800 Lamborghinis. Then again it makes sense for a defenseman who only knows how to go fast in one direction to have an extraordinary amount of fast cars

-Somehow went this entire GDT without once mentioning Price or Halak. There has to be some sort of controversy with a lack of goaltender discourse. Right (e2)?

-Go Habs Go gets annoying after seeing it for the fourteenth time. You would think with the French population of Quebec someone would say it in French. Oh wait, they did...

-Eric Belanger is a no-name. Sorry Wild fans.

-Habs fans want to see Tomas Jagr or Jose Three-or-more. I hate to tell them neither player exists, but they're so cute...maybe when they get a bit older.

-Caps are going to dominate. An Avs fan said it therefore it must be true.

-Montreal became a haven for liquor during Prohibition. There's no joke there, I just found that to be interesting.

-On that note (because these all can't be winners), Northern Virginia has amazing trails and Civil War battlefields. And Wawas. God I love that convenience store and could go for a Sizzli right about...oh wait what were talking about. Hockey? Oh, umm...Alexander Ovechkin plays for the Washington Capitals.

-Bruins fans have a bigger beef with Washington than their self-proclaimed biggest rival. I call shenanigans.

-Someone hopes that the Tooth Fairy will leave them money. Can't argue with that.

-Apparently part of Montreal is an island. Not sure, but I wonder if that's where the media resides.

-Washington will be saving their energy by only scoring nineteen goals tonight.

-Both cities have experience with fire. Washington was decimated by the British in the War of 1812 while Montreal fans riot after losing a series.

Old
04-15-2010, 04:04 PM
BigT2002

Win!

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 01:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Western Conference First Round Match-up:
(5) Detroit @ (4) Phoenix

-Detroit is nicknamed Hockeytown, while Phoenix is nicknamed the Valley of the Sun.

-(trying on my best Zoidberg voice) The octopus descends upon yoooouuuu! And yooouuuuuuuu!

-Phoenix has the hottest climate of any city in the United States. No wonder it's like Minneapolis south in January as the two cities are siblings.

-Apparently Detroit can score ∞ goals. I wish them luck given everyone knows that's a job for Tomas Jagr.

-This game will be broadcast on XTRA 910. I was so excited for a second because I thought the Coyotes were using a border blaster, but apparently it's just a nickname for the station. Shame on you Phoenix for getting my hopes up!

-Detroit was controlled by the province of Quebec. Although then again, Minnesota was a part of Michigan Territory until 1836 so it's not as if Detroit hasn't controlled Minnesota at one point in their history (well besides baseball and football).

-'Yotes lay down and die. Apparently that could be a threat or someone may be driving a SUV onto the ice.

-Red Wings have the longest active streak of postseason appearances in professional sports. And for that, they are rewarded traveling to a nice warm destination for three days.

-I thought there would be more posts because fans of other teams hate Phoenix and Detroit, but apparently not. Quit slacking other fans - daddy needs his gold!

-Thank god Phoenix is back in the playoffs because who doesn't love to see the whiteout!

-There's a Canadiens fan who keeps dead Coyotes. Now all of sudden I understand why our neighbors up to the north are clamoring the team to move back to Winnipeg - apparently Coyotes are sacred to their culture.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:57 PM
se7en
infamous...

Good Stuff Gopher! I'll try to do one a little later today!

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

(7) Philadelphia @ (2) New Jersey

-The stereotype of the Devils not having any fans has never been truer.

-Philadelphia is out finding someone to boo (or is it boosh?).

-Seriously, there are no posts in that GDT at 3:20 pm. As a Wild fan, I feel their pain.

Old
04-16-2010, 02:53 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post

-Philadelphia is out finding someone to boo (or is it boosh?).

I feel their pain.
HAHAHA Classic! I said almost the exact same thing to my friends in Philly via text message!

As for the Devils, I was out on the east coast last week & I went to a Devils game, I have to say that I was really impressed with the fans! I had heard alot of rumors about their fandom too but the arena was packed, people were into it & everyone was extremely friendly! We ended up going to Brick City bar & grill with a bunch of them post game & they were all class-acts!

I know that's not what you were poking fun at but I wanted to throw it out there! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post

-Seriously, there are no posts in that GDT at 3:20 pm. As a Wild fan, I feel their pain.
Gopher that was you!? I didn't put 2 & 2 together! Your thread was brought up in other forums! The funny thing is I had just opened another tab thinking that you guys would get a kick out of this Wild game day thread I saw once! I was going to track it down & I didn't realize that it was your gameday thread until I opened your link right now! That thread was EPIC!! I'm happy to now know you!

Last edited by GopherState: 04-16-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Cleaned up..although for future reference there is an edit button
Old
04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
HAHAHA Classic! I said almost the exact same thing to my friends in Philly via text message!

As for the Devils, I was out on the east coast last week & I went to a Devils game, I have to say that I was really impressed with the fans! I had heard alot of rumors about their fandom too but the arena was packed, people were into it & everyone was extremely friendly! We ended up going to Brick City bar & grill with a bunch of them post game & they were all class-acts!

I know that's not what you were poking fun at but I wanted to throw it out there! haha

Gopher that was you!? I didn't put 2 & 2 together! Your thread was brought up in other forums! The funny thing is I had just opened another tab thinking that you guys would get a kick out of this Wild game day thread I saw once! I was going to track it down & I didn't realize that it was your gameday thread until I opened your link right now! That thread was EPIC!! I'm happy to now know you!
Thanks! I didn't know it was that famous, but good to know.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Last edited by GopherState; Today at 01:09 PM. Reason: Cleaned up..although for future reference there is an edit button
I'll learn this stuff eventually... sorry buddy

Old
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Western Conference First Round Match-up:
(3) Vancouver @ (6) Los Angeles

-With the New York Rangers not making the postseason, the Los Angeles Kings are playing in the most populated city of remaining teams. Vancouver is in second for Canada and would be first if Quebec was successful in 1995.

-No Alberts, no contest.

-The temperature in Vancouver right now is 64 degrees. Depending on how the game goes tonight, it may be boiling.

-Based on the last two games, there probably is a conspiracy against the Kings/Canucks (depending on the fanbase). On the plus side, someone did try to be objective in here.

-Total number of Stanley Cups: 0

-Apparently the Kings enter the ice through castle walls. That's awesome, although I wonder if a trolley follows them.

-Vancouver is battling its American counterpart in film production.

-Sheryl Crow, Cameron Crowe, Crow Diddley and Russell Crowe aren't Kings fans. T-Bird and this guy, on the other hand, are.

-Vancouver has won more division titles in the past two years than Los Angeles in forty-three.

-Hope for better officiating. More like dreaming...ahh now that's what I'm talking about you sexy...

-Who wears short shorts?

-Staples is loud during the playoffs. Thanks Lakers!

-Does anyone know if Los Angeles is home to California University? It's been too long since I've seen Saved by the Bell.

-Vancouver is complaining about bad ice and how it is all the Illuminati's fault. So that's how Bettman became commish!

Old
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
BigT2002

Nice Mr. Rogers analogy dude

Old
04-20-2010, 03:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Junior Goodwill Games Championship
Team USA v. Team Iceland

-Contrary to popular belief, Iceland is not covered with ice. That's Greenland. Outside of volcanoes erupting and ruining Europe's air travel, Iceland is nice

-Goldberg can stop cheeseburgers.

-Team USA really just means Team Minnesota plus a few outliers. It's the way hockey was meant to be.

-Minneapolis is a rinky-dink town where the coach will go back to sharpening skates if he fails to win.

-On the other hand, Iceland's coach apparently got banned from the NHL for being too violent yet is still allowed to work with kids. Who approved that?

-Fulton Reed and Dean Portman are preparing for their future careers as members of the Federal League. That said, Goldberg and Russ Tyler are preparing to join Dave Karp at some sort of fat camp run by Ben Stiller.

-Not enough hyping of Gunner Stahl on the prospects board. Maybe if he changed that "h" to an "a."

-Correctly assume Adam Banks is a cake eater and has a tendency to get injured. However, someone does think he will be able to come back at the expense of Russ Tyler or Charlie Conway.

-"The Wolf" owes Bombay a new beachball.

-The quack attack is back jack!

-Winners get bragging rights and a scholarship to Shattucks-St. Mary Eden Hall Academy. Losers lost it for themselves...

-If I were a betting man, I'd go with the Ducks in a shootout. That has to be great odds given the game is Team USA v. Team Iceland - I mean, there's no rule against it.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:46 PM
BigT2002

Okay the Mighty Ducks stuff just made me look like an ass in the office lol

Old
04-27-2010, 02:28 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I wish the two teams playing Game 7s weren't two of the three GDTs I've already done. Oh well, next round...