HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Welcome back to the postseason!

Old
04-16-2010, 04:48 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
not that the lines NEED to be changed, but just to placate my Matt Ellis homerism

Ken-Roy-Van - clearly the #1 line now. 21 minutes
Ellis-Con-Poms - best way to recreate HCP IMO. 17 minutes
Kaleta-Goose-Grier - i like the idea of Kaleta agititating top line guys. 12 minutes
Torres-Mair-Ennis - a 4th line with energy and a dangerous offensive weapon. 10 minutes
I don't think the lines need to be changed at all, although I would welcome a Stafford swap with Mair. I think we'll see motivated Stafford in the playoffs.

I do agree that Kennedy-Roy-Vanek has become our top line.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Was he pointless on the 4th line when he executed a perfect tap in goal for Mair against Tampa?

I dont necessarilly buy the argument that a skill player cant be effective with 2 4th liners... especially if someone like Torres is on the line...

Do you think Torres-Mair-Ennis would be a terrible 8-10 minute ES line? I dont think thats the case.

Im not sold that Ennis should be in the top 6. there was a thread a few weeks ago, my argument was that Ennis SHOULD be in the LU come playoff time, but on the 4th line and getting PP time... of course this was before Hecht was injured.
I don't mind putting Ennis and Torres together. My complaint is more that I think Ennis should get more than 8-10 minutes TOI. I'm not big on Mair either, notwithstanding the TB goal.

Torres-Ennis-Mancari anyone? (I'm half kidding)

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:01 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I don't think the lines need to be changed at all, although I would welcome a Stafford swap with Mair. I think we'll see motivated Stafford in the playoffs.

I do agree that Kennedy-Roy-Vanek has become our top line.
Based on what?

Old
04-16-2010, 05:09 PM
TheBigEasy57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Based on what?
based on the fact if he doesn't show up, he might be moved.

TheBigEasy57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:11 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Based on what?
The fact that it's the playoffs. He was the hot rookie in 06-07, and he understandably didn't have a great playoffs (although he did score on a ridiculous backhander vs the Isles), but now that he's been in the league for a bit, guys of his frame tend to play over their heads. There's no question of motivation in the playoffs....which has been his biggest question mark.

Certainly don't mind taking Mair out to give Stafford a shot.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

Some thoughts:

Myers had some rookie giveaways, but as a whole ..good game

Even though Torres has not scored, I love the physical presence that he and Grier, Kaleta, Mair and Gaustad provide.

Pominville needs to step up. 5.5M is a lot of $$ if a player is going to float and not finish.

Ennis needs to stay in the lineup. He looks like Max without the brain-cramp giveaway. Time will tell if he can finish (he had at least 2 swats at an empty net with no results).

Vanek needs to think "Shoot First". We have a number of creative passers.. we need finishers!!! Shoot the puck, Thomas. You are not selfish, it's what you do best.

I have been reading the Bruins boards and they are giddy to play us. The consensus is B's in 6, but I don't think so. Buffalo in 5.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I don't mind putting Ennis and Torres together. My complaint is more that I think Ennis should get more than 8-10 minutes TOI. I'm not big on Mair either, notwithstanding the TB goal.

Torres-Ennis-Mancari anyone? (I'm half kidding)
i dont agree...

without Hecht, that line was hemmed in their own zone a lot last night, and had their ice time cut in the 3rd because of it.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
The fact that it's the playoffs. He was the hot rookie in 06-07, and he understandably didn't have a great playoffs (although he did score on a ridiculous backhander vs the Isles), but now that he's been in the league for a bit, guys of his frame tend to play over their heads. There's no question of motivation in the playoffs....which has been his biggest question mark.

i dont agree... i dont have any interest in seeing stafford ever wear blue n gold again. with Van, Poms, Grier, Kaleta locking down the RW , Stafford has no reason to be in the LU

Old
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
not that the lines NEED to be changed, but just to placate my Matt Ellis homerism

Ken-Roy-Van - clearly the #1 line now
Ellis-Con-Poms - best way to recreate HCP IMO.
Kaleta-Goose-Grier - i like the idea of Kaleta agititating top line guys.
Torres-Mair-Ennis - a 4th line with energy and a dangerous offensive weapon
Ennis is fine where he is, and so is Ellis. I think Ennis' feet can draw a few penalties as the series wears on, especially with trigger-ready linemates to keep backcheckers honest. The kid went right around Chara for a scoring chance. Can he do that on a 4th line? Maybe, but until there's a colossal **** up, I'd rather have a skill guy getting those minutes instead of taking a role player out of his role.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:22 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:

That's fine - but he needs to keep earning his spot, IMO. If he's not busting his backside or if he starts botching passes and giving up rushes again, I wouldn't hesitate to put Mair or Gerbe or even Mancari back in (although I know it will never happen)

Old
04-16-2010, 05:22 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
i dont agree...

without Hecht, that line was hemmed in their own zone a lot last night, and had their ice time cut in the 3rd because of it.
For me, if Hecht was healthy, Ennis would be in Portland. Hasn't shown me enough against good teams to justify breaking up the 2 solid physical lines we have going in the bottom 6 right now. Putting one skilled player on a 4th line overall just does not work. Sure grinders can finish into empty nets, but those plays are so few and far between, especially in the playoffs, that the loss in zone time and physical play down low just by losing 1 physical body on the cycle is too much.

The top 6 peels off of way too many checks.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
i dont agree... i dont have any interest in seeing stafford ever wear blue n gold again. with Van, Poms, Grier, Kaleta locking down the RW , Stafford has no reason to be in the LU
And yet you're willing to move Kaleta to LW for your dream lines.

I'm not advocating taking any of those players out of the lineup.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:25 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
That's fine - but he needs to keep earning his spot, IMO. If he's not busting his backside or if he starts botching passes and giving up rushes again, I wouldn't hesitate to put Mair or Gerbe or even Mancari back in (although I know it will never happen)
Oh definitely. I'd give him 2 games....well more like one and a half before benching him (the game is to work off the rust, after all, Connolly was awful tonight)

Old
04-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Ennis is fine where he is, and so is Ellis. I think Ennis' feet can draw a few penalties as the series wears on, especially with trigger-ready linemates to keep backcheckers honest. The kid went right around Chara for a scoring chance. Can he do that on a 4th line? Maybe, but until there's a colossal **** up, I'd rather have a skill guy getting those minutes instead of taking a role player out of his role.
if he can do that to chara facing top defenders, imagine what he could do on his own against 4th liners/3rd pairings? Especially with big forwards like Torres creating space for him...

E-C-P was the only bad line on the ice last night... although Goose's foot speed was also a liability at times too. but overall, ECP was just plain bad barring the two scoring chances that Ennis created ON HIS OWN. he can do that on the 4th line, and get a more responisble connolly line back together that can play the way HCP played when they were successful

Old
04-16-2010, 05:27 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
i dont agree...

Well - Connolly was a bit rusty and Poms had an off game, so it's not surprising. Switching Ennis and Kennedy actually makes some sense, but I wouldn't muck with the "REV" line right now (did I just name the line?)

Old
04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Oh definitely. I'd give him 2 games....well more like one and a half before benching him (the game is to work off the rust, after all, Connolly was awful tonight)
1 game. If he doesn't knock my socks off, I'd bench him.

You're exagerating about Conns. And the difference is that Connolly brought good effort and skill all year (well, since NOvember), and Stafford brought good suck.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:33 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
1 game. If he doesn't knock my socks off, I'd bench him.

You're exagerating about Conns. And the difference is that Connolly brought good effort and skill all year (well, since NOvember), and Stafford brought good suck.
I was just pointing out how 1 game when you're just coming back from an injury is not a fair judgement. And if Stafford was better than Mair, I'd sure as hell keep him in the lineup even if he didn't neccessarily "wow" me.

And no, Connolly was pretty awful tonight. Nothing offensively, added to a couple awful turnovers in the defensive zone. Ennis was by far the best player on that line, and that was exclusively on rushes that amounted to nothing. That line was not good enough.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:52 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
I was just pointing out how 1 game when you're just coming back from an injury is not a fair judgement. And if Stafford was better than Mair, I'd sure as hell keep him in the lineup even if he didn't neccessarily "wow" me.

And no, Connolly was pretty awful tonight. Nothing offensively, added to a couple awful turnovers in the defensive zone. Ennis was by far the best player on that line, and that was exclusively on rushes that amounted to nothing. That line was not good enough.
I'd still rather have Gerbe than Mair or Staph. Gerbe isn't afraid to block shots, be a pest, and go to the paint.

Gerbe blocked 7 shots in 10 games. Stafford blocked 15 all season, and Mair had only 13. That's an important playoff skill -- especially against a team like Boston that relies so heavily on shots from the point.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Vito_81

Mair is too important to have in the lineup in a series as chippy as this one. There is absolutely zero chance Mair comes out of the lineup barring injury.

Vito_81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
if he can do that to chara facing top defenders, imagine what he could do on his own against 4th liners/3rd pairings? Especially with big forwards like Torres creating space for him...

E-C-P was the only bad line on the ice last night... although Goose's foot speed was also a liability at times too. but overall, ECP was just plain bad barring the two scoring chances that Ennis created ON HIS OWN. he can do that on the 4th line, and get a more responisble connolly line back together that can play the way HCP played when they were successful
The reason I bring up the Chara play is that I'm not sure who else has the feet to make it. He didn't finish, but his feet were motoring and that to me is not a 4th line, 7:00 a night play. Nor are his points and shots on goal production since re-call. So I guess I see it the other way - keep him in bigger minutes, cause a few fits, and keep the offense moving.

Was Ennis the reason that line didn't meet your expectations? With Hecht out, I'm not willing to give up his passing ability or offensive zone motion to double the ice time for a very limited plugger to re-create HCP. I'd rather discuss surgically implanting a set of nuts on 29. Sew them right into the pants.

Mair at center essentially nullifies offense. Your 4th line is a non-starter once you introduce a skill guy because you don't put a rookie out there to play with himself. If you want Torres and Ennis together, then sit Mair, slide 62 to the middle, and bring in Stafford so someone can finish plays on the other side. Still, that's a scenario that makes no sense to me because you still have Ellis replacing Hecht.

Old
04-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
The reason I bring up the Chara play is that I'm not sure who else has the feet to make it. He didn't finish, but his feet were motoring and that to me is not a 4th line, 7:00 a night play. Nor are his points and shots on goal production since re-call. So I guess I see it the other way - keep him in bigger minutes, cause a few fits, and keep the offense moving.

Was Ennis the reason that line didn't meet your expectations? With Hecht out, I'm not willing to give up his passing ability or offensive zone motion to double the ice time for a very limited plugger to re-create HCP. I'd rather discuss surgically implanting a set of nuts on 29. Sew them right into the pants.

Mair at center essentially nullifies offense. Your 4th line is a non-starter once you introduce a skill guy because you don't put a rookie out there to play with himself. If you want Torres and Ennis together, then sit Mair, slide 62 to the middle, and bring in Stafford so someone can finish plays on the other side. Still, that's a scenario that makes no sense to me because you still have Ellis replacing Hecht.
u mean like pominville playing with mair and pyatt in 05?

im heading to the bar, u wanna come?

Old
04-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
u mean like pominville playing with mair and pyatt in 05?

im heading to the bar, u wanna come?
see you there.

Old
04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Mair is too important to have in the lineup in a series as chippy as this one. There is absolutely zero chance Mair comes out of the lineup barring injury.
I agree, the 'chippyness' already in this series shows that you can't have enough guys that aren't afraid

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Kruschiki

Funny, but when I search 'myers' and 'suspension' on google news, nothing comes up...

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
I agree, the 'chippyness' already in this series shows that you can't have enough guys that aren't afraid
Ruff would never take out a fellow number 22.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote