edumacated

vCash: 500
TUTIN scored a goal for the Rags!

Let's get TUTIN!!

Old
09-28-2003, 02:56 PM
mmmBeer

It seems that Hilbert hasn't actually seen much time at center this preseason. I thought that for at least two of the games he was playing wing.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:06 PM
misterjaggers
Puma

Missing most of training camp and not knowing English are putting a real crimp in Zino's game. And tonight he didn't skate with Samsonov...but at least he's getting better on faceoffs.

What the Bruins need is a retired version of Larionov to work with him...

Old
09-28-2003, 03:32 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Unfortunately- there aren't a lot of options out there. As was the case with the goaltending last year, it looks like the G.M. rolled the dice on two unproven players in Andy Hilbert and Sergei Zinovjev. Who knew that Hilbert would be slow to come back from hernia surgery and that Zinovjev and his agents would completely bungle the visa situation? But, it has set both back considerably, and will force the team to bring somebody else in. This late in the game, it won't be a move that really helps get Boston any closer to contention, which is what people want.

I'll be posting on the new HF forum, but I figured I'd jump in here since it is the primary topic of my next column.
I agree, who could have known these things with Hilbie and Zino could happen. It's bad luck. But like you imply, the Bruins took a big gamble in the first place -- and now they may have to pay for it. To me, it was a flawed plan to begin with. The chances were slim that Zinovjev would be able to step into the best league in the world at one of the most difficult positions without any transition time in the minors. Also, as BBBBruin said, it didn't seem like Hilbert was being groomed as a center.

I don't want to upset a lot of posters here, but this is exactly what I question about the Bruins ability to build a winning hockey team. When they roll the dice on guys like Shields, Grosek, Kovalenko, Coffey, Murphy, Mann, Pronger, Wilson, etc, it leaves me scratching my head. This is why I don't get it when people on the board get so upset by a call for accountability. It would be one thing if this kind of thing was an anomaly, but it's a pattern that runs back more than a few years. What bugs me even more is all this talk about by ownership/management of "we want to win" and "how much we care." I have to say, the actions sure don't match the words.

By all means, all hope is not lost though. There are plenty of things to be positive about, and to be greatful for. Thornton, Samsonov, Toivonen, good support players and some great looking prospects leaves much promise for the future. But you are right, the Bruins may just have to go out and acquire somebody, and that will be especially costly if they are doing so without leverage. Some thoughts:

If Keenan really wants Horton on his team, then with Jokinen, Kozlov (though he's playing wing), Weiss and Nedorost in the middle, maybe they could spare Matt Cullen.

If not, Phoenix has Gratton, Hrdina and Sillinger in the mix with stalwart Damon Langkow and up & comers Kolanos & Taffe. They could use a good young LW.

There's always Straka in Pittsburg, though he's not a natural center. His salary is probably prohibitive though, he's set to be paid $4.35 and $4.7 million over the next two seasons. Then there's Kris Beech and Milan Kraft, either who may blossom into a legit 2nd liner. The Pens also have Sivek and Endicott, both already sent down to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

The Sabres have Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, Curtis Brown, Tim Connolly and rookie Derek Roy. It's hard not to see the top 2 being set, and Connolly doesn't fit well as a #3 or lower.

There's Stu Barnes and Jason Arnott in Dallas, though neither is being offered around the league. Barnes is smallish but makes up for it with character and leadership. Turgeon could be had for extra cheap, but without leverage, it would be much harder to get Armstrong to pick up half or more of his remaining salary.

The Leafs have Reichel...but he's not much of an impact guy plus he's paid some $3.5M.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:48 PM
bwunderlich

also of interest, stock laid a huge, somewhat late hit on simon late in the game that started a few scrums and moran took a few punches from simon defending his teamates.

since we will likely be battling the rags for one of the last playoff spots, it was interesting to watch vastly different approaches to pre-season. the bruins seem to be holding try-outs while the rangers were working almost all the veterans trying to build what never really developed last year - chemistry. i've seen them (rags) play 3 times this preseason and they seem to have a good system and line combos already in place.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:52 PM
misterjaggers
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
I agree, who could have known these things with Hilbie and Zino could happen. It's bad luck. But like you imply, the Bruins took a big gamble in the first place -- and now they may have to pay for it. To me, it was a flawed plan to begin with. The chances were slim that Zinovjev would be able to step into the best league in the world at one of the most difficult positions without any transition time in the minors. Also, as BBBBruin said, it didn't seem like Hilbert was being groomed as a center.
It would be nice if the Bruins could pick up an oldtimer like Larionov on the cheap, but I don't think we should trade top prospects or high draft picks for a center.

What we should do is sign is sign Cliff Ronning. He's unrestricted, won't cost a fortune and can still contribute...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/68/career

Old
09-28-2003, 04:26 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
It would be nice if the Bruins could pick up an oldtimer like Larionov on the cheap, but I don't think we should trade top prospects or high draft picks for a center.

What we should do is sign is sign Cliff Ronning. He's unrestricted, won't cost a fortune and can still contribute...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/68/career
Ronning would be a decent #3. He's also good on the PP and a solid guy for the dressing room. I'd rather have Oates in the #2 spot instead of Ronning in the #3, but with the baggage involved, it never seemed like Oates was in the cards.

I agree with what you've said in other threads - trading a rising prospect for a player who is a short term fix does not make sense. It would be one thing if the B's were a top contender looking for that last piece, but that's not the case. What's more, if the B's wanted to trade, not only will it be costly as Kirk inferred, but when any GM in the league can see the Bruins have a huge hole at center, they know Boston has no leverage. That could mean a stiff pricetag.

So yeah, if the B's can't put their differences aside with Oates and pony up the $3M or whatever, then Ronning may be the next best thing. However, I would be interested in Connolly, Cullen, Gratton, Beech, Sivek or Kraft if the price was right. But not if it means we overpay in a big way.

Closed Thread