HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Harrow Blade Patterns (4,5)

Old
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

vCash: 500
Harrow Blade Patterns (4,5)

Im about to order a harrow stick (or should i say a one piece and a two piece and blade). im just deciding which blade pattern to go for.

i like a closed blade, so which harrow blade patterns are closed?

im looking at #4 and #5. Im not too sure about #4. im pretty sure #5 is closed though.

i like a mid curve (nothing too crazy), but im looking at the toe curve recchi. should i go for it (if its closed)? or stick with what im used to (#5 (iginla-ish)

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
Im about to order a harrow stick (or should i say a one piece and a two piece and blade). im just deciding which blade pattern to go for.

i like a closed blade, so which harrow blade patterns are closed?

im looking at #4 and #5. Im not too sure about #4. im pretty sure #5 is closed though.

i like a mid curve (nothing too crazy), but im looking at the toe curve recchi. should i go for it (if its closed)? or stick with what im used to (#5 (iginla-ish)

I have a number 5 and do not like it because it has a 5 LIE which I can't use. I bought it on clearance for cheaps and use it for a backup.

You are correct it is an Iginla closed curve and a mid curve. I am going to get a number 4 since it is a 5.5 LIE and a little bit open on the toe.

If you need a photo let me know, I can post one or two.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Khabby

I was looking at a OP Harrow stick my LHS had in stock for awhile. Was a Harrow GS with a Pattern 6 blade. Had my home QMJHL team (mooseheads) logo and team name on it. Finally went on sale and I love the feel of it. Harrow isnt very big around here, and I havnt seen any Harrow sticks around here other than this one, But I must say I do like it!

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I have a number 5 and do not like it because it has a 5 LIE which I can't use. I bought it on clearance for cheaps and use it for a backup.

You are correct it is an Iginla closed curve and a mid curve. I am going to get a number 4 since it is a 5.5 LIE and a little bit open on the toe.

If you need a photo let me know, I can post one or two.
a photo would be awesome.

im using a 5.5 lie right now, so im not sure how much the .5 difference in lie would make (would that make the puck sit further away or close to the body?...can never remember, im so used to using the same lie)

any other blade recommendations?

i dont REALLY want an open blade, but i wonder just how open the #4 is. any other mid curves that are closed that they offer?

Old
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

#4 should be pretty much similar to a Datsyuk curve...slightly open mid. It's listed at toe, but it's certainly not a toe hook.

Anyways, mine should be in by Wed, so I can snap a picture and let you know.

Here's a pic of Mod Squad...not sure if this is the current #4 or not.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Hockeyfan68

Per your request I took some piccies of my #5 harrow blade.

Top view

Bottom view

This one shows the info that is on each blade explaining what it is.

Here is my beloved #7 (Getzlaf, Lidstrom, Samsonov, Jovanovski)

Quote:
a photo would be awesome.

im using a 5.5 lie right now, so im not sure how much the .5 difference in lie would make (would that make the puck sit further away or close to the body?...can never remember, im so used to using the same lie)

any other blade recommendations?

i dont REALLY want an open blade, but i wonder just how open the #4 is. any other mid curves that are closed that they offer?
With a 5 if your correct LIE is a 5.5 or a 6 the toe will hit the ice and mess things up with a 5. I can get away with using a 5 LIE but prefer not to.

If you make your stick longer a 5 is okay if you do not use one. The further away the blade is from your body the less toe you will use.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:06 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

what is their #1 blade pattern like? it doesnt look too bad (although its a 5 lie as well). is it closed?

i take a mix of wrist shots and slapshots, and prefer a closed blade because i dont have much trouble getting shots up high.

Old
03-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Modano clone...slightly open. This is a Christian blade, but I'm pretty sure the Harrow is the same thing. It's in the Warrior shaft:

By the way, this blade lasted probably six months and maybe 20-25 games of heavy use as well as lots of outdoor shooting practice before snapping at the tenon...which a Harrow rep told me was fixed for the new blades.

Old
03-02-2010, 02:05 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

im so stoked for these sticks (i went and ordered 2 last night.lol)

i ordered one of their 300 series OPS grip sticks (92 flex), 2 blades (1 pattern #5, 1 pattern #1), and a matte black shaft (92 flex).

total price? $170!!!!

Old
03-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
im so stoked for these sticks (i went and ordered 2 last night.lol)

i ordered one of their 300 series OPS grip sticks (92 flex), 2 blades (1 pattern #5, 1 pattern #1), and a matte black shaft (92 flex).

total price? $170!!!!
Damn fine price there. I'm still miffed at having to spend $500 on heating oil at this time

Old
03-02-2010, 05:14 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Damn fine price there. I'm still miffed at having to spend $500 on heating oil at this time
its a ***** having responsibilities, just got my income tax bill...I owe $2000. no new gear for me.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
bleedgreen

so wuzzup with no2? looks like an yzerman/coffey kinda mid, but i dont believe their lies at all and it says its a 6. if its a coffey clone its more like a 5.25. the yzerman was a 6 that played like a 7. i hate these companies with their "lies".... aptly named.

anyways, a confirmation on #2"s lie and a pic would be GREATLY appreciated.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I haven't seen #2 in person, but I believe it's going to be a lot like the Reebok Bergeron (P38). That would be a deeper closed face blade with a smooth curve, rather than the Coffey which is a severely deep, kinked curve with a slightly open face.

My #4 looks a little different than the above one...basically if you took a Datsyuk and made it milder and more toe. It's not a hook by any means. 5.5 lie seems about right, maybe a bit lower.

Old
04-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Dats13forlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
#4 should be pretty much similar to a Datsyuk curve...slightly open mid. It's listed at toe, but it's certainly not a toe hook.

Anyways, mine should be in by Wed, so I can snap a picture and let you know.

Here's a pic of Mod Squad...not sure if this is the current #4 or not.

The Datsyuk is more of a mid-heel/mid where as this is clearly a toe compared to Harrow's #2, #5, and #6 mids. Mid-toe may be the best description since the blade is really long. I actually round the toe with some sand paper since I don't like the toe shape as is. So by sanding the blade down I make mine "real" toe curves, which are amazing!

Dats13forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Hockeyfan68

The number 6 will be mine .... two of them as well as another 7.

Old
04-16-2010, 03:47 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats13forlife View Post
The Datsyuk is more of a mid-heel/mid where as this is clearly a toe compared to Harrow's #2, #5, and #6 mids. Mid-toe may be the best description since the blade is really long. I actually round the toe with some sand paper since I don't like the toe shape as is. So by sanding the blade down I make mine "real" toe curves, which are amazing!
The pic is a little misleading, it has a tiny bit of toe added onto it but it's more like a milder Datsyuk or a recchi. BTW, the puck feel on the blades is fantastic, they chip pretty easily though.

Zenon Konopka uses a Harrow OPS btw. They have a little NHL exposure , haha.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Super mild mid-toe...slightly open. The #2 is closed, big mid hook.

Next order will be a #6 with an intermediate shaft.

Old
04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Dats13forlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
The pic is a little misleading, it has a tiny bit of toe added onto it but it's more like a milder Datsyuk or a recchi. BTW, the puck feel on the blades is fantastic, they chip pretty easily though.

Zenon Konopka uses a Harrow OPS btw. They have a little NHL exposure , haha.
I have used the Datsyuk, Recchi, and #4 all on Easton Synergy II and Warrior Dolomite shafts. Datsyuk is more mid-heel than anything, maybe mid, Recchi is mid all the way but not as big as CCM said it was, and the #4 is more toe. Mid-toe could be a good way to describe it but since I sand down the toe to make it actually round, it is toe. It isn't a toe kink like the Kovalchuk prostock or Warrior Smyth curves but toe non-the-less. Comparing the #4 to the #5, #4 is defiantly toe for Harrow.

Old
04-16-2010, 10:48 AM
rinkrat22

I am just wondering how sanding down the blade gives it more curve? it sounds like, at least how I read it, you are sanding down the toe of the stick to take it from a square to round toe shape, is that correct? how does this effect the blades curve?

Old
04-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I believe he meant it makes it more of a toe curve. If you have a mid curve, the curve starts in the middle of the blade, but if you sand down the toe, the curve starts closer to the end of the blade, hence a toe curve.

Old
04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Dats13forlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I believe he meant it makes it more of a toe curve. If you have a mid curve, the curve starts in the middle of the blade, but if you sand down the toe, the curve starts closer to the end of the blade, hence a toe curve.
Correct. So if you take a mid-toe/toe (about what the #4 is) and shorten the overall blade length by sanding down the toe, I did it to make it a round toe, the curve is "moved" more to the toe of the blade.

Old
04-16-2010, 11:24 AM
rinkrat22

gotcha, I didn't realize you could take that much off the blade. I figured that only a little bit could be sanded off the toe. more to change the shape.

Old
04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Dats13forlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
gotcha, I didn't realize you could take that much off the blade. I figured that only a little bit could be sanded off the toe. more to change the shape.
Well since it is a mid-toe/toe, lots of opinions about the curve, by taking just a little off, I sand to the logo on the toe, it "moves" the curve. I'm not saying it is now a toe kink, Kovalchuk prostock or Cole prostock, but it still "moves" the curve closer to the toe of the blade making it more of a toe curve than before.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
rinkrat22

Guess you learn something new everyday. I just figured everytime I have broken a blade it had foam layered in between the composite. I didnt realize it didn't run out near the toe of the blade. Its good to know if I chip the end I can sand it down.

Old
04-17-2010, 05:28 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats13forlife View Post
I have used the Datsyuk, Recchi, and #4 all on Easton Synergy II and Warrior Dolomite shafts. Datsyuk is more mid-heel than anything, maybe mid, Recchi is mid all the way but not as big as CCM said it was, and the #4 is more toe. Mid-toe could be a good way to describe it but since I sand down the toe to make it actually round, it is toe. It isn't a toe kink like the Kovalchuk prostock or Warrior Smyth curves but toe non-the-less. Comparing the #4 to the #5, #4 is defiantly toe for Harrow.
"More like" as in "closer to" or "almost/similar" etc...

The #4 is similar to the Recchi but with a tiny bit of toe added. The Datsyuk, which is the closest Reebok variant, is SIMILAR to the Recchi but a larger curve and higher lie... It also starts a bit more towards the heel and has a less open face than the Recchi, but we're starting to split hairs.

Also the Kovalchuk pro is not a toe kink, a Rafalski pro would be more of a "toe kink." Since you like splitting hairs, the Kovalchuk pro is a very small heel with the majority of the curve in the toe.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote