HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Offical 2010 Red Wing Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Danja

vCash: 500
Any chance the wings get Burmistrov? He really impressed me in the WJCs. He seemed very aware of the ice; much more so than most other guys there.

Old
04-17-2010, 05:32 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

I've said it before but I believe that I have to say it once more for emphasis: this is the year to draft a Russian in the first round.

* Forget Niederreiter, there is no way that the Wings will nab him as it would require us to give up a considerable player, i.e. Filppula or Hudler's rights to achieve a draft berth where we could get him.

* Burmistrov would be nice, but he will likely be nabbed at or above the 20th draft berth; if the Wings go far into the playoffs, it is unlikely he will be available for us.

* Ditto with Granlund. Big, talented center = gone in sixty seconds.

* I will be inclined to hurt myself if the Wings draft what experts at ESPN and other sports guru sites have predicted; no enforcers or goalies in the first round, please.

* We have enough defensemen in training, unless someone starts kidnapping our defensemen and shipping them overseas as sex slaves we will not need to draft more for a while. Do not overcompensate for impending retirement of Lidstrom.

* Any of your Russian players in the first round are going to be high skill and potential franchise players, even some in the upper second round. Maksim Kitsyn would be a very nice acquisition for this team, although I am stuck on the idea of the Wings acquiring Stanislav Galiev because he is a large, skilled forward that has already proven himself in the QMJHL, and he is quite the practiced English speaker; not only could he apprentice under Datsyuk, he could act as an interpreter

Old
04-18-2010, 12:29 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
We have a better prospect pool for forwards and goalies than D. Besides Smith and Kindl, our D is pretty shallow. A couple guys with potential but haven't shown much. Forward on the other hand we have multiple guys in the making, top 6 and bottom 6. Goalies we will be strong once McCollum adjust to the pro game.

Old
04-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Jarnkrok.

Old
04-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
no enforcers or goalies in the first round, please.
Amen.

Old
04-18-2010, 02:08 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
I* We have enough defensemen in training, unless someone starts kidnapping our defensemen and shipping them overseas as sex slaves we will not need to draft more for a while. Do not overcompensate for impending retirement of Lidstrom.

* Any of your Russian players in the first round are going to be high skill and potential franchise players, even some in the upper second round. Maksim Kitsyn would be a very nice acquisition for this team, although I am stuck on the idea of the Wings acquiring Stanislav Galiev because he is a large, skilled forward that has already proven himself in the QMJHL, and he is quite the practiced English speaker; not only could he apprentice under Datsyuk, he could act as an interpreter
I don't have as much faith in our dmen prospects as you. If the Wings are in a position to grab a high end dmen prospect then I say they go for it.

Where does Galiev get drafted according to the mock drafts? That sounds like a good choice.

Old
04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
I don't have as much faith in our dmen prospects as you. If the Wings are in a position to grab a high end dmen prospect then I say they go for it.

Where does Galiev get drafted according to the mock drafts? That sounds like a good choice.
He is posted by TSN's latest ranking around 27th in the draft, other mock drafts have him going from 13th to 17th. IMHO he has a great wrist shot, excellent passing skills, is a skilled player like Kabanov but is less cocky and more about the team than the individual. He also is an excellent net front presence for his team.

As far as defence goes, I believe that Smith and Kindl should immediately make up for any holes our team will have in the next season or two. I have heard that the next draft is pretty bad for forward talent and that it is a good draft for defensive talent and goaltenders. If we want to draft defensemen, that would be the time to draft in the first round.

Old
04-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Booyah!

I'd love to see the Wings package Kindl and Hudler for a top pick in this year's draft.

Old
04-18-2010, 12:18 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
He is posted by TSN's latest ranking around 27th in the draft, other mock drafts have him going from 13th to 17th. IMHO he has a great wrist shot, excellent passing skills, is a skilled player like Kabanov but is less cocky and more about the team than the individual. He also is an excellent net front presence for his team.
Sounds good to me. Plus he's already in North America. Language, culture, lifestyle won't be much of an issue for him. Hope the Wings pick him (or someone better).

Old
04-18-2010, 06:37 PM
JackieTreehorn

Power Forward

is what we need. Would be nice to get a Zack Kassian type prospect with our first pick. Someone that isnt afraid to dance when Lidstroms balls are speared.

We had two 2nd rounders before Milan Lucic was taken his draft year. How nice would he look on this team now. I dont think the Wings value players with his skills though.

Please no more speed skating Dmen. We have enough puck movers.

Old
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
What would everyone think of getting a kid like Skinner if he slipped to us? Kid seems to love to score, something we could use in the pool.

I also wouldnt mind a Zach Kassian/Kyle Beach type of player (minus the idiotic ways, in other words, another Johan).

Old
05-09-2010, 09:57 AM
ChadS

So, what will our draft# be? 25?

Now that we're picking at a "below-normal"(well not that much actually ) number and we really seem to need high end talent in our offense, we should look for an super offensive contributor. We don't really have big scoring names in our prospect pool. OK, we have guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Ferraro and possibly Nestrasil but none of these guys are projected to be future PPG players in the NHL.

IMO, Tatar will be a Hudler-type OK 2nd line winger with a max total of about 25+35 points. He's still a long way from Hudler and I don't see it being very likely that he'll match Hudler's numbers... Hudler played games already in the NHL at Tatar's age. Nyquist COULD be a star but he has a long way to go still and I predict him also being about a 2nd line LW and "Filppula-like with less defensive-skill." Ferraro has possible star-potential but I perso?nally think he's quite over-rated and, despite his injuries, his development has slowed down quite a bit this year. Holland&co. need to get him in to the AHL as soon as possible! As a righty he could be our future right-handed scorer(something our current roster is DYING for!!!).

I WANT A SUPER-FORWARD!!

Old
05-09-2010, 10:15 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post

Now that we're picking at a "below-normal"(well not that much actually ) number and we really seem to need high end talent in our offense, we should look for an super offensive contributor. We don't really have big scoring names in our prospect pool. OK, we have guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Ferraro and possibly Nestrasil but none of these guys are projected to be future PPG players in the NHL.
They all have the potential. And you are forgetting Mursak! He is going to be the best of them no doubt. The Wings need to pick size+skill early. That is something the Wings need and cannot get later on. The Wings can get the Mursaks and Nyquists in later rounds but they can't get the big power forwards or big puck moving defensemen past the 2nd.

And Hudler hadn't spent games in the NHL as a 19 year old? He spent a long time in the AHL and had his first complete NHL season when he was 23. Tatar also will be better than Hudler because Tatar has the speed Hudler doesn't which is his biggest weakness.

Old
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
And Hudler hadn't spent games in the NHL as a 19 year old? He spent a long time in the AHL and had his first complete NHL season when he was 23. Tatar also will be better than Hudler because Tatar has the speed Hudler doesn't which is his biggest weakness.
He played 12 games with a goal and two assists in 03-04 as a 19-20 year old. I don't know what time of the season Hudler played those games, but if it was before Jan 4th, then he was 19 years old.

But yeah, I hope Tatar will be better but Hudler has put up some good numbers and 49 points in the AHL as a rookie isn't too bad I forgot Mursak, but I haven't ever seen him play so I don't really have what it takes to comment on him. Looks good and I hope we'll se some of him next season in Detroit!

Old
05-09-2010, 11:17 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
The Wings need to pick size+skill early. That is something the Wings need and cannot get later on. The Wings can get the Mursaks and Nyquists in later rounds but they can't get the big power forwards or big puck moving defensemen past the 2nd.
Btw, how about Kabanov?

Old
05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
I WANT A SUPER-FORWARD!!
Then you should hope Lids retires, Holland sits on the money and doesn't re-sign Bertuzzi or anyone else, promotes a bunch of AHLers so we have loads of cap space and are a lottery team next draft.

Old
05-09-2010, 11:57 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
He played 12 games with a goal and two assists in 03-04 as a 19-20 year old. I don't know what time of the season Hudler played those games, but if it was before Jan 4th, then he was 19 years old.

But yeah, I hope Tatar will be better but Hudler has put up some good numbers and 49 points in the AHL as a rookie isn't too bad I forgot Mursak, but I haven't ever seen him play so I don't really have what it takes to comment on him. Looks good and I hope we'll se some of him next season in Detroit!
Hudler was drafted in 02 so his first full season after being drafted was 02-03. 03-04 was his 2nd season so I am going to assume he was older. But still shouldn't make that much of a difference, it doesn't matter when they play their first NHL games, he didn't play an actual season after 3 good years in the AHL 4 years after he was drafted. Tatar was drafted last year he has time.

And if you want to watch Mursak or Tatar watch the griffins highlights on youtube Mursak is #13.

Old
05-09-2010, 12:13 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:

IMO, Tatar will be a Hudler-type OK 2nd line winger with a max total of about 25+35 points. He's still a long way from Hudler and I don't see it being very likely that he'll match Hudler's numbers... Hudler played games already in the NHL at Tatar's age. Nyquist COULD be a star but he has a long way to go still and I predict him also being about a 2nd line LW and "Filppula-like with less defensive-skill." Ferraro has possible star-potential but I perso?nally think he's quite over-rated and, despite his injuries, his development has slowed down quite a bit this year. Holland&co. need to get him in to the AHL as soon as possible! As a righty he could be our future right-handed scorer(something our current roster is DYING for!!!).

I WANT A SUPER-FORWARD!!
At this point Ferraro would be lucky if he ever makes it to the NHL with the way this past season went for him.

Old
05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

Anybody know if Austin Watson will be around.

Name: Austin Watson
Number: 14
Pos.: C
Shoots: R
Height: 6.03
Weight: 187
Birthdate: 1992-01-13
Birthplace:
Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI

Not that it matters but he is from Michigan. Some mock drafts I've seen have him in the 20-26 range and some in the 14-20. He has the height and a right handed shot. I think he averaged a point a game last year.

Old
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

Quote:

As far as defence goes, I believe that Smith and Kindl should immediately make up for any holes our team will have in the next season or two. I have heard that the next draft is pretty bad for forward talent and that it is a good draft for defensive talent and goaltenders. If we want to draft defensemen, that would be the time to draft in the first round.
What are your thoughts on Dylan McIlrath. Ive talked to a few guys that watch every game of his. They say he is a great stay at home with a bomb of a shot. They also mentioned that they believe he hadn't lost a fight all year and is willing to drop the gloves with anybody.

Name: Dylan McIlrath
Number: 8
Pos.: D
Height: 6'5
Weight: 215
Birthdate: 1992-04-20
Hometown: Winnipeg, MB

With the likes of Kindl and Smith both should be puck movers a top stay at home could be great for our future D.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
ChadS

IMO, we shouldn't draft a defensemen on our 1st pick this year... But that's just my opinion.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
The Wings need a top-6 center prospect. They have zero in their system, unless you count Ferraro, but I don't, I think he's a winger at the NHL level. Hopefully there is a good one available in the first round.
Evgeny Kuznetsov could become a top 6 center. But the Wings might have to trade up a few spots to secure him unless his value has dropped. Hopefully he's a Datsyuk-Russian, and not an Ovechkin-Russian.

Old
05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
JackieTreehorn

Quote:
Btw, how about Kabanov?
If he falls to the Wings they should scoop him up.

I wouldnt mind McIlrath either.

Use the 2nd rounder to find a power forward and give the rest the picks to Hakan.

Old
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
At this point Ferraro would be lucky if he ever makes it to the NHL with the way this past season went for him.
most people said the same about how Mursak did last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Anybody know if Austin Watson will be around.

Name: Austin Watson
Number: 14
Pos.: C
Height: 6.03
Weight: 187
Birthdate: 1992-01-13
Birthplace:
Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI

Not that it matters but he is from Michigan. Some mock drafts I've seen have him in the 20-26 range and some in the 14-20. He has the height and a right handed shot. I think he averaged a point a game last year.
From what ive heard about him he's just a big body who plays more of a checking third liner game. I think we need to be a little risky and get someone who might have some high-end talent to help replenish the farm.

Old
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
most people said the same about how Mursak did last year...
True but no one really ever questioned Mursak's effort in practice and his persona in the locker room. All of a sudden Ferraro is major Dion Phaneuf-like trade bait looking to be on another team.

Closed Thread