HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Messier with Steve Somers(4/17)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2010, 02:36 PM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,333
vCash: 500
Mark Messier with Steve Somers(4/17)

http://www.wfan.com/pages/744540.php

Talks about being GM of the Canadian team in the World Championships. Very briefly.

Talks about the Rangers season being a big disappointment for the entire organization. Discusses his year. It was a good year for him professionally. He moved his family back to NY. Put his kids in school here. Has looked at all aspects of the organization. Sather allowed him to do what he wanted. Asked if he is ready to be GM? Response. He was born ready. 40 years of pro hockey experience. Thinks he can do the job. You never stop learning.

Talks about Graves getting exposure to the hockey operation. Sather has given both of them the opportunity to learn the hockey business.

Talks about Brock Beukeboom. Messier went to the prospects game. Sat with Jeff and his wife at the game. Brock is projected as a late 1st/early 2nd.

Messier didn't make excuses for Sather.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
  #2
mhurley
Registered User
 
mhurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
After listening to the interview, I am almost okay with facing Moose's inevitable take over as GM. Better to get on with it if it's going to happen and let the chips fall. The faster he proves or disproves himself, the faster the franchise can move on from 1994.

Moose comported himselfl well. He is by no means a wordsmith but he was as forthcoming as he could be without throwing anyone under the bus or tipping his hand on the future of the front office.

Somers let Moose know in no uncertain terms that the fan base (and by inference, the media) are sick of the Cigar Chomper hiding in his Ivory (Two Penn Plaza) Tower treating everyone like they'll give him the swine flu.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 02:59 PM
  #3
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,423
vCash: 500
I would make Scheonfeld full time AGM and give Mark Hartford for at least a year. Or some other bigger role that isn't GM. I dont think he should just jump into the fire of managing the NEW YORK RANGERS.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 03:48 PM
  #4
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.wfan.com/pages/744540.php

Talks about being GM of the Canadian team in the World Championships. Very briefly.

Talks about the Rangers season being a big disappointment for the entire organization. Discusses his year. It was a good year for him professionally. He moved his family back to NY. Put his kids in school here. Has looked at all aspects of the organization. Sather allowed him to do what he wanted. Asked if he is ready to be GM? Response. He was born ready. 40 years of pro hockey experience. Thinks he can do the job. You never stop learning.

Talks about Graves getting exposure to the hockey operation. Sather has given both of them the opportunity to learn the hockey business.

Talks about Brock Beukeboom. Messier went to the prospects game. Sat with Jeff and his wife at the game. Brock is projected as a late 1st/early 2nd.

Messier didn't make excuses for Sather.
Here's a scenerio for you.

Let's say it's around the 2nd round. Somehow all three of Kabanov, McIlrath, and Brock Beukeboom are there still at the 40th pick or whatever the Rangers second rounder is. If Beukeboom gets the selection, does the board go bannanas for passing up on the other two and blame Messier for it?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
  #5
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I would make Scheonfeld full time AGM and give Mark Hartford for at least a year. Or some other bigger role that isn't GM. I dont think he should just jump into the fire of managing the NEW YORK RANGERS.
Schoenfeld was the guy advocating for the Gomez, Drury, and Redden signings. He's really not an upgrade.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
  #6
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Here's a scenerio for you.

Let's say it's around the 2nd round. Somehow all three of Kabanov, McIlrath, and Brock Beukeboom are there still at the 40th pick or whatever the Rangers second rounder is. If Beukeboom gets the selection, does the board go bannanas for passing up on the other two and blame Messier for it?
The problem with picking Brock is that the Rangers already have plenty of players like him; offensive minded DMen. There's really no need for him and also we all know his game but the simpleton idiots at the Garden are going to go bananas when they realize he's more like a Poti/Huber than his dad.

However, if he's the BPA according to Clark then it's fine and some other guys are going to have to be traded for offensive help.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
  #7
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The problem with picking Brock is that the Rangers already have plenty of players like him; offensive minded DMen. There's really no need for him and also we all know his game but the simpleton idiots at the Garden are going to go bananas when they realize he's more like a Poti/Huber than his dad.

However, if he's the BPA according to Clark then it's fine and some other guys are going to have to be traded for offensive help.
Brock is actually far more physical than people give him credit for.

Messier was certainly saying the right things, but then again, so could just about anyone in his position.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 08:18 PM
  #8
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Schoenfeld was the guy advocating for the Gomez, Drury, and Redden signings. He's really not an upgrade.
hmm... recontemplating my life...

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
  #9
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,843
vCash: 500
They should've gotten THE CAPTAIN's ass behind the bench since he hung the skates.

mhurley says he's no wordsmith, yet he always seems to find the right words...and yes, to be straightforward enough that nobody has the balls is like "yeah, yeah, ok"...as if he were say...John Tortarella or Tom Renney.

Let him run things his way, and I'll bet my Sweden jersey that he'll stop at nothing to make us happy (and for himself look like the Messiah-saving grace of New York again)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
  #10
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,703
vCash: 500
I still think that after the draft and July 1st the Rangers will annonce either Messier is the new GM or the GM in waiting. I have a hunch that Messier is waiting for Sather to retire before he takes a larger role with team. I don't think Messier wants to work under Sather. Mark Messier isn't dumb and he knows how PR in the city works. Messier is in more of a position of strength if he comes in with a "savoir hat" on then as one of Sathers "boys."

As far as being the next GM goes my personal feelings are to give Messier a chance but I'd like someone with way more experiance. I don't think Messier would be coming in as a complete novice, he certainly knows how an organization politics work. I'm sure he has some idea of fair value and if nothing else will surrond himself with the right people...hopefully...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
  #11
IG88
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
hmm... recontemplating my life...
I know, right? I think that a large chunk of Ranger fandom is pro-Schoeny, in regards to a promotion to full time AssGenMan. (Just wanted to see how that looked. I like it.) I really liked your plan.

Is there proof that it was Schoeny such a large factor behind those awful, shameful acquisitions? Is it mainly speculation and conjecture? Is there something concrete that ties him to those signings?

If so, and MM is bound to be our GM eventually, no matter what, get him in as AGM! Schoeny having any involvement in those signings should instantly exclude him from any participation in anything Ranger related for the rest of eternity.

I really feel like on ALL 3 of those signings that Sather didn't even wait to hear what competeing offers were going to be. Its like he came up with his best guess as to what it would take to sign these players and then added a few mil just to be on the safe side.

IG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
  #12
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,003
vCash: 500
Schoenfeld is so overrated it's not funny.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:07 PM
  #13
rangerfan_79
Registered User
 
rangerfan_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG88 View Post
I know, right? I think that a large chunk of Ranger fandom is pro-Schoeny, in regards to a promotion to full time AssGenMan. (Just wanted to see how that looked. I like it.) I really liked your plan.

Is there proof that it was Schoeny such a large factor behind those awful, shameful acquisitions? Is it mainly speculation and conjecture? Is there something concrete that ties him to those signings?

If so, and MM is bound to be our GM eventually, no matter what, get him in as AGM! Schoeny having any involvement in those signings should instantly exclude him from any participation in anything Ranger related for the rest of eternity.

I really feel like on ALL 3 of those signings that Sather didn't even wait to hear what competeing offers were going to be. Its like he came up with his best guess as to what it would take to sign these players and then added a few mil just to be on the safe side.
Schoeny may have been advocating for all 3 but...

Probably not at the price they were signed for and length of contracts including NTC/NMC.

or

Both Drury and Gomez being signed at the same time.

I think this is more to do with Sather was burning both ends of the candle negotiating with Gomez and Drury and ended up signing them both.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
  #14
IG88
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
Schoeny may have been advocating for all 3 but...

Probably not at the price they were signed for and length of contracts including NTC/NMC.

or

Both Drury and Gomez being signed at the same time.

I think this is more to do with Sather was burning both ends of the candle negotiating with Gomez and Drury and ended up signing them both.
Well, whoever was on the "bargaining" team for the Rangers really blew it.

Seems like Glen just calls players up and is all "Hello, is Wade in? Wade? Hi, its Glen Sather. Yeah. Yes. Yep. Right, shes doing fine, thanks for asking. What about that wife of yours? Great, glad to hear it. HEY, so, we would like you to play for the Rangers. I dunno, you tell me? Four and a half you say? OK, well, I kinda need an answer right now so....make it six and a half and call it a deal? Ok? Ok! Great! Well, thanks for your time Wade, I...What was that, Wade? Oh, right! Yeah, I dunno, say five years? Six years? Something like that? OK, I'll just fax you the contract and let you fill it in. Enjoy the rest of summer, buddy. Can't wait to see you at camp. Alright! Yep. You too!"

Honestly, I don't see any other way these players got those contracts. Yeah, market value blah, blah, blah. His UFA strategy really must be "name your price!"

IG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
  #15
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 500
Columbus offered Redden even more money than we did. This after Chicago just paid Campbell more money than Donald Trump.

About an hour before we signed Gomez and Drury, Briere signed for 6.5 million for 8 years with a NMC.

Sather wasn't pulling these offers out of his ass... UFAs are overpaid by rule, and at the time, the cap was going up ~$5m per year and these offers were right in line with other team's.

Unfortunately, we are saddled with these contracts because we're a much more desirable location than Clb, etc., and the UFAs accept our offers.

EDIT: And let me be clear, it was moronic deciding to go for these players, but the price we paid once we chose them weren't excessive compared to the market.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.