HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Warning: Do Not Buy The Ccm Octogun

Old
04-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
What curve did you get? CCM lies with their curves I think my first one was an Ovechkin curve and that thing was almost dead STRAIGHT...

Not exactly true in real life...
My next one was a Lecavalier curve... that thing was like a banana...

The one I'm using now is a Modano 4K stick... Just a cheap backup I have and it's really stiff and not good for puckhandling... But I've scored more goals with this one than any other stick so I guess I'll just keep this one... Even if it is a piece of ****.

I just thought I bought a faulty stick... Plus I really like how it looked/felt/handled (gonna sound like a ****** but the white matches my skates, gloves, and helmet).
1. Ovechkin doesn't use an "Oveckin" curve. So, I'm not sure what you accomplish by posting that photo.

2. you know they sell white spray paint?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post
I was under the assumption that they were modified by the equipment team. Not that the curve Ovechkin gets on his stick is just like the retail version, but that they equipment guys on each team do a little retooling as well.
Sticks are the one piece of equipment that is maintained most by players. The Ovechkin retail curve is basically an Easton Drury pattern. No retail pattern matches Ovechkin's real curve.

The name on the stick is purely for marketing purposes. Crosby used what is almost a completely straight blade (little more curve on his stick this year, but not much). This probably would do terrible at retail.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 10:18 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Here I thought this was going to be a thread about a cephalopod launching device

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 10:38 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Here I thought this was going to be a thread about a cephalopod launching device
Something that the Coyotes REALLY want

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 09:11 PM
greyraven8

I'll second the not buying the CCM Octogun.

especially the model I got - CCM Octogun 10 (J. Thornton curve). The CCM Vector 06 i have is a little better than this model of Octogun (is chipped but not split - still good as a spare stick). The other CCM Vector 06 broke on the shaft. Both the Vectors have/had problems with chipping at the end of the blade. All the sticks have been regular flex (85).

It's one thing for a stick to break - it happens. It's another for the end of the blade to quickly chip away and then develop two cracks over an inch long at the end of the blade parallel to the ice. This all happened in a half dozen uses on oldtimers pickup hockey.

I don't have a slap shot, and they discourage slap shots with this group I am playing with anyway. I realize I am buying the very lower cost end of the composites, but this shouldn't mean they should be disposable crap that only survives a few uses.

On an up note the Vic Element I have had for months is still in very good condition with zero problems. So if anyone is looking for a low cost composite, I'd recommend the Vic Element. Wish I had bought 2 of them when they were on sale.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
I'll second the not buying the CCM Octogun.

especially the model I got - CCM Octogun 10 (J. Thornton curve). The CCM Vector 06 i have is a little better than this model of Octogun (is chipped but not split - still good as a spare stick). The other CCM Vector 06 broke on the shaft. Both the Vectors have/had problems with chipping at the end of the blade. All the sticks have been regular flex (85).

It's one thing for a stick to break - it happens. It's another for the end of the blade to quickly chip away and then develop two cracks over an inch long at the end of the blade parallel to the ice. This all happened in a half dozen uses on oldtimers pickup hockey.

I don't have a slap shot, and they discourage slap shots with this group I am playing with anyway. I realize I am buying the very lower cost end of the composites, but this shouldn't mean they should be disposable crap that only survives a few uses.

On an up note the Vic Element I have had for months is still in very good condition with zero problems. So if anyone is looking for a low cost composite, I'd recommend the Vic Element. Wish I had bought 2 of them when they were on sale.
A Forzani Group SMU (Sportchek, Sportmart) stick btw, so they likely wont find it in the States

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote