HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Day Rituals/Superstition/Karma

Old
04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Pattypred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I don't know about it being a game day ritual or karma, but I'm sick from nerves.
Soooooooooo that's what's wrong with me today. I've been sick and haven't figured it out until now.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:07 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'll be at an AHL game tonight ... the Maker's Mark Bar does have Jack Single Barrel.
A glass of JD Single Barrel at room temperature is a classy substitute.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 01:48 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I follow the same routine and wear the same t-shirt and jewelery on game days after wins. On road games it's only the same tshirt for wins.

For road games, if the Preds score and I'm in another room I have to stay in that room the rest of the night. Or sit in the same spot on the couch/chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I don't know about it being a game day ritual or karma, but I'm sick from nerves.
I had no nerves today at all. That was a wierd feeling.

But a few minutes into the game I started to get nervous.

sparkle twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:20 PM
AEM6729

My family doesn't have any specific superstitions per se, but there is one curse that we've noticed.

There's one fan in particular who walks around the upper bowl during intermissions wearing a foam puck on his head and muttering to himself. We've taken to calling him Puckhead. When my dad sees this person, we lose. EVERY time. Without exception. One time we made it to overtime and thought the curse was shaken, but we still ended up losing. There have been times when we've seen him and we're up by several goals and then have a meltdown and lose! It's a little creepy how accurate this curse is...I haven't kept close track of it, but it has to be in the double digits this season. It's gotten to the point where everyone sitting around us is aware of this curse, and will warn us if they've seen Puckhead in the vicinity.

This curse seems to be limited to my dad only, because when I see him and I'm on my own we've been able to pull out a win. But if my dad sees him, it's all over. Sightings generally occur when my dad goes to get ice cream during the 2nd intermission, so during the playoffs we may have to send a convoy out to procure frozen treats for him. Either that or have some kind of summit with Puckhead to explain the curse and ask him to stay the eff away from our section for the duration of the playoffs!

Last edited by AEM6729: 04-17-2010 at 05:31 PM.
AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:28 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
another interesting side note, more than once in interviews Dan Ellis has been asked this question and he always says that he absolutely does not believe in luck and doesnt really do superstitions.
Haha that's funny b/c he has the longest and most precise process for preparing his crease...he hasn't actually played much so I haven't gotten to see it a lot this year to see if he's changed it, but he used to do it before every period started. He was so hardcore about it that you could actually see him looking up at the lock to begin certain parts of it at the appropriate time.

I know Trotz & Co used to come out from the tunnel at a certain time. And Toots is always standing in the hallway as the team comes onto the ice...don't know if he always jumps in front of the same guy or not.

I've always wondered what would happen if there were two players on the same team who insisted on being the last ones off the ice after warmups, haha. Also I dunno if it's true or not, but I heard Kariya was a weird dude with a lot of superstitions...like making his girlfriend ride in the backseat of the car on the way to the arena, while he refused to speak to her. Hahahahahahaha.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 12:40 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I had about a fifth of whiskey before and during the game last night. I can't promise I can do that every night, but I think I might have to put off my drying out season until the post season is over for us. Let's hope my liver doesn't get a break until June

Old
04-18-2010, 03:21 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I had about a fifth of whiskey before and during the game last night. I can't promise I can do that every night, but I think I might have to put off my drying out season until the post season is over for us. Let's hope my liver doesn't get a break until June
What liver?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:17 AM
thejlb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
If our goalie is getting close to getting that thing they get when they don't let any goals in, no one is allowed to say the word that starts with shhhhh.... I can't say it now because it's game day.

By the same token, if that afore mentioned word is not possible for our goalie, I'll say it as much as possible to jinx the opposing goalie!

I try to wear as much Preds gear as I can on game days... I have lots of accessories like earrings and socks and a scarf. They are my good luck charms.

I do have a weird one... I have a special bra that I wear when I feel we need extra luck. Every time I've worn that bra to a game, we win. I don't want its luck to run out too soon though, so I only wear it when we really need it. Like Saturday against Detroit. You guys can thank me.
You know if the preds go all way this year. I vote that bra be lifted to the raptors next to the banner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
I wear one of two shirts -- one long sleeve, one short sleeve. Since I've only missed a handful of games this year, the long sleeve T-shirt is getting some mileage - holes and such. Not sure what I'll do next year considering this T is going to get us through a couple rounds of post season play! Can't imagine it holding up over another 80+ games. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
Well I consider my jerseys mandatory equipment. I do however have a lucky pair of shorts I have worn for about two seasons. they are pretty worn out and have no functional pockets. I am actually not allowed to wear them in public anymore according to my GF I do however wear them every away game. Apparently though my new pair are pretty lucky as I have won 2 gas cards at the games since buying them.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Predator119

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
My family doesn't have any specific superstitions per se, but there is one curse that we've noticed.

There's one fan in particular who walks around the upper bowl during intermissions wearing a foam puck on his head and muttering to himself. We've taken to calling him Puckhead. When my dad sees this person, we lose. EVERY time. Without exception. One time we made it to overtime and thought the curse was shaken, but we still ended up losing. There have been times when we've seen him and we're up by several goals and then have a meltdown and lose! It's a little creepy how accurate this curse is...I haven't kept close track of it, but it has to be in the double digits this season. It's gotten to the point where everyone sitting around us is aware of this curse, and will warn us if they've seen Puckhead in the vicinity.

This curse seems to be limited to my dad only, because when I see him and I'm on my own we've been able to pull out a win. But if my dad sees him, it's all over. Sightings generally occur when my dad goes to get ice cream during the 2nd intermission, so during the playoffs we may have to send a convoy out to procure frozen treats for him. Either that or have some kind of summit with Puckhead to explain the curse and ask him to stay the eff away from our section for the duration of the playoffs!
That's amazing. Best story so far... definitely send a convoy. Also consider carry a blindfold with you.

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:05 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
What liver?
Good point, sir