HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Lineup Predictions and Speculation

Old
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Cherepanisimov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If we really wanted to have some fun

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Cervenka-Anisimov-Jagr (I love AA and Jagr together)
Avery-Drury-Callahan/MZA
Prust-Boyle-Callahan/MZA

Staal-Volchenkov
MDZ-Rozsival
Rookie-Girardi

This of course hinges entirely on Jagr's price tag and whether he would return to NY with Renney gone, but a fun hypothetical.
Why the hell would we sign Cervenka?

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 12:07 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

LOL, yeah, just say no to mid tier UFAs! That's great.

Demitria might be ok for a one year deal. That guy can still play although he's long in the tooth. Also if Vancouver has a deep playoff run I'd say away from him because at his age even though he missed time he played the max Olympic games and a good playoff run.

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if the Rangers can get either Byfuglien or Versteeg from Chicago even if it means taking on salary (Huet?) for two more years. I'll settled for Sharp though.

Other players who might be interesting short term trading options to add some scoring and clear some cap room to pave the way for yongsters; A) Justin Williams from LA (he's injury prone but is a UFA after next season so maybe him and a pick for Rozi) B)If SJ gets knocked out early how about Setoguchi who had a miserable season.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
Why the hell would we sign Cervenka?
He's a great player, so his talents aren't why I wouldn't sign him, but I think especially with the addition of MZA, we have enough players that aren't going to bring a two-way game, and if you're signing someone out of Europe/Russia, that's what you're going to get, a player with a one-way game.

2010 Offseason Plan: Power Forwards. <-- I support this.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post

Demitria might be ok for a one year deal. That guy can still play although he's long in the tooth. Also if Vancouver has a deep playoff run I'd say away from him because at his age even though he missed time he played the max Olympic games and a good playoff run.

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if the Rangers can get either Byfuglien or Versteeg from Chicago even if it means taking on salary (Huet?) for two more years. I'll settled for Sharp though.

Other players who might be interesting short term trading options to add some scoring and clear some cap room to pave the way for yongsters; A) Justin Williams from LA (he's injury prone but is a UFA after next season so maybe him and a pick for Rozi) B)If SJ gets knocked out early how about Setoguchi who had a miserable season.
I like this, but not for what we'll probably have to send to SJ for him. (Duby/Cally)

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:

This is the contingency for which I have not yet accounted. I really think we can pry Sharp off the Blackhawks' hands. Versteeg, who would likely cost Dubinsky, is essentially the same player. I'd rather keep Dubinsky.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 03:05 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Out of those 3 I'd want 1)Byfug 2)Sharp 3)Versteeg.

It was based on cap hits and usefulness for the Hawks.

You put Byfug with Anisimov and Prust and that's a sick line.

Sharp can play with Cally or Gabby.

I think they might be able to get Byfug but it's going to involve taking a lot of salary back so my main thing was, if it involved Huet coming back the other way and they can get a pick with it, I do it.

Armchair GM time ;

Huet/Byfug/2011 first or second rounder for Rozi/Byers/2011 3rd rounder.

Also, Williams in LA can be had for probably not much. He was scratched last night and has injury history, but he's worth the gamble for one year as a secondary scorer if they can shed some salary.

Old
04-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Out of those 3 I'd want 1)Byfug 2)Sharp 3)Versteeg.

It was based on cap hits and usefulness for the Hawks.

You put Byfug with Anisimov and Prust and that's a sick line.

Sharp can play with Cally or Gabby.

I think they might be able to get Byfug but it's going to involve taking a lot of salary back so my main thing was, if it involved Huet coming back the other way and they can get a pick with it, I do it.

Armchair GM time ;

Huet/Byfug/2011 first or second rounder for Rozi/Byers/2011 3rd rounder.

Also, Williams in LA can be had for probably not much. He was scratched last night and has injury history, but he's worth the gamble for one year as a secondary scorer if they can shed some salary.
Do not want.

Old
04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post

2010 Offseason Plan: Power Forwards. <-- I support this.

THIS.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Bulls9220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Left Wing Center Right Wing
Vaclav Prospal Saku Koivu Marian Gaborik
Brandon Dubinsky Joe Pavelski Ryan Callahan
Sean Avery Chris Drury Mats Zuccarello-Aasen
Artem Anisimov Erik Christensen Brandon Prust

Left Defense Right Defense
Marc Staal Anton Volchenkov
Michael Del Zotto Daniel Girardi
Michal Rozsival Matt Gilroy

Goaltending
Henrik Lundqvist
Johan Hedberg

Signings: Anton Volchenkov, Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, Johan Hedberg, Saku Koivu
Re-signings: Marc Staal, Daniel Girardi, Vaclav Prospal, Erik Christensen, Brandon Prust, Joe Pavelski
Let go: Olli Jokinen, Enver Lisin, Anders Eriksson, Jody Shelley
Demoted: Wade Redden, Aaron Voros, Brian Boyle
Do SOMETHING About: Donald Brashear

Player Bonus Cap Hit
Marian Gaborik - $7,500,000
Chris Drury - $7,050,000
Henrik Lundqvist - $6,875,000
Michal Rozsival - $5,000,000
Anton Volchenkov - $4,200,000
Marc Staal - $3,500,000
Joe Pavelski - $2,600,000
Saku Koivu - $2,500,000
Daniel Girardi - $2,500,000
Ryan Callahan - $2,300,000
Vaclav Prospal - $2,200,000
Sean Avery - $1,937,500
Brandon Dubinsky - $1,850,000
Matt Gilroy - $1,750,000
Michael Del Zotto ($212,500) $1,087,500
Johan Hedberg - $1,000,000
Erik Christensen - $1,000,000
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen (?) $900,000
Artem Anisimov - $821,666
Brandon Prust - $700,000

Category Totals
Roster Size 20
Salary Cap $57,700,000
Payroll $57,071,666
Bonuses $212,500 + (?)
Cap Space $840,834 (?)

Not positive if there's anything that can be done about Teddy, but I mean... doing ANYTHING about him would be nice.

If it's possible, this team could actually be a solid team in the playoffs. That second line makes me gasm, Pavelski would be well worth the picks we'd have to give to San Jose for him, he's a Callahanesque player. I'll probably be criticized for Saku Koivu, but I think he still has some left in him.
Not really to much i would change, maybe the moose but thats actually pretty legitament

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
nyr2417

anyone think the hawks are going to try and shop hossa? if so would you be interested, im kind of mehhh about it.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
anyone think the hawks are going to try and shop hossa? if so would you be interested, im kind of mehhh about it.
why would they...he was basically a PPG player for them and is on a sweetheart deal cap number wise.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
why would they...he was basically a PPG player for them and is on a sweetheart deal cap number wise.
This.

And I don't want the Curse of Hossa either.

Old
04-18-2010, 06:28 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH View Post
This.

And I don't want the Curse of Hossa either.
Well even with that curse at least we'd get to the Cup Finals.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

No to Hossa, his deal is waayy too long and I don't know if he can handle NY if he had a hard enough time in Pitt/Det.

As for Huet, obviously I don't want him and his salary is ridiculous but there are actually 3 advantages to him 1) only a two year cap hit 2) will let Henrik rest 25-27 games a year 3)if he's gonna bring back a high pick and a power forward with him, I'll take his two year cap hit.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:14 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Enough with the Volchenkov talk. He's not a big difference maker. He's a bruiser and shot blocker who is getting old. Locking him into a LTD means he will be totally ineffective at his craft in two years.

The Rangers defense is middle-of-the-road in shots and scoring chances allowed. Volchenkov makes a small dent in an already decent group that is developing.

We need puck carriers and skill centers. Volchenkov is a guy to add as a final piece to solidify a defense corps, not anchor it.

Havent we learned our lessons from all the defensemen this organization previously overpaid for?

Seriously, we can sign Shane Hnidy or Boullion for 800K and we'd almost get the same result. Not saying they are better than Volchenkov, just that he is too expensive a piece for a minor role and contributor

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Volchenkov is like 28 years old. Thats as good as it gets with UFA signings.

People dont realize, but he's exactly what this defense needs. A shutdown right d partner for Staal, blocks shots, allows Staal to roam a little more comfortably.

He hits a ton, blocks a ton of shots.

a 4 year deal worth 16 million would do wonders for our defensive unit.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Dubinsky-Christiansen-Gaborik
Kovalchuk (UFA)-AA-MZA
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Shelley-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
Roszival-Del Zotto
Gilroy-McKee (UFA)

Old
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

People dont realize, but he's exactly what this defense needs. A shutdown right d partner for Staal, blocks shots, allows Staal to roam a little more comfortably.

What wonders?

With two rookies, horrible 1st halves by Rosie and Girardi and Wade Friggin Redden, the defense still ranked in the top half of the league this year in GAA and scoring chances and shots allowed.

This teams problem isnt blocking shots or hitting or limiting scoring chances...It's generating scoring chances, making smart plays in the offensive zone and getting traffic in front of the net.

Defense is not the problem with this team. If our D were long in the tooth, I would understand.

I just can't see Volchenkov making much of a difference once Roszival is gone.

Look at Henrik's record when he gives up 2 goals or less. Then look at his record when the Rangers score 3 goals or more.

You'll understand.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

I normally agree with you Fitzy but here I have to disagree. The Staal-Rozsival pairing is very a very nice blend of puck movement and shut-down defense. Volchenkov is effective but he has Jay Mckee written all over him. The way he plays leads to injuries and as he gets older his body will feel it more and more.

Defensive defensemen are not the type of player any team should give long-term expensive deals to. They are too one-dimensional.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I understand your concern is for the offensive aspect of the game.

It isnt going to hurt the team to add a shutdown guy, rather than continuing to force MDZ to play top 4 minutes he isnt ready for.

I think the difference between your standpoint and mine is you think we could land Kovalchuk, and Volchenkov would destroy that chance. My personal opinion, is that we wont pursue Kovalchuk, and that locking up 11 mil a year in a 1 dimensional albeit great offensive player would be counterproductive to our franchise, which is likely the kind of deal he is going to get.

I'll take Volchenkov for four, MZA for 1 and save some space over Kovalchuk for 12 million over 10 years.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:38 PM
azrok22

Quote:
What wonders?

With two rookies, horrible 1st halves by Rosie and Girardi and Wade Friggin Redden, the defense still ranked in the top half of the league this year in GAA and scoring chances and shots allowed.

This teams problem isnt blocking shots or hitting or limiting scoring chances...It's generating scoring chances, making smart plays in the offensive zone and getting traffic in front of the net.

Defense is not the problem with this team. If our D were long in the tooth, I would understand.

I just can't see Volchenkov making much of a difference once Roszival is gone.

Look at Henrik's record when he gives up 2 goals or less. Then look at his record when the Rangers score 3 goals or more.

You'll understand.
It is so nice to read a logical post.

No Marleau. No Plekanac. And especially no Volchenkov... our defense is fine, but our offense is one-dimensional.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I understand your concern is for the offensive aspect of the game.

It isnt going to hurt the team to add a shutdown guy, rather than continuing to force MDZ to play top 4 minutes he isnt ready for.

I think the difference between your standpoint and mine is you think we could land Kovalchuk, and Volchenkov would destroy that chance. My personal opinion, is that we wont pursue Kovalchuk, and that locking up 11 mil a year in a 1 dimensional albeit great offensive player would be counterproductive to our franchise, which is likely the kind of deal he is going to get.

I'll take Volchenkov for four, MZA for 1 and save some space over Kovalchuk for 12 million over 10 years.
Even if we strike out on Kovalchuk, tying up 4.5+ million for multiple years in Volchenkov will solve none of our problems. Our defense is adequate, and Lundqvist hides its mistakes.

We still can't win if we don't score... Volchenkov doesn't help that at all. Don't fix what isn't broken... even if we can't fix the offense this offseason. Don't spend significant $$$ over several years plugging a purely cosmetic crack in the damn when there's a huge hole on the other side of the ice.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The hole left by a Redden waiving isnt going to fill itself. We dont want to run MDZ, Gilroy, and another rookie all in one year, which is why I recommend getting Volchenkov and filling out a legitimate top 4 defense.

Volchenkov frees up both Rozsival and Girardi to each play with MDZ and whoever our 6th is.

Sign Volchenkov, and McDonagh develops, in 2011 you have probably one of the top 5 defenses in the league in front of a top 5 goaltender.

Defense wins championships. We cant lose if we dont get scored on, same principles apply as in your argument.

I think our offense is progressing. We went up 20 goals and from 28th to like 20th in the NHL. Patience.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:54 PM
azrok22

Quote:
The hole left by a Redden waiving isnt going to fill itself. We dont want to run MDZ, Gilroy, and another rookie all in one year, which is why I recommend getting Volchenkov and filling out a legitimate top 4 defense.

Volchenkov frees up both Rozsival and Girardi to each play with MDZ and whoever our 6th is.

Sign Volchenkov, and McDonagh develops, in 2011 you have probably one of the top 5 defenses in the league in front of a top 5 goaltender.

Defense wins championships. We cant lose if we dont get scored on, same principles apply as in your argument.

I think our offense is progressing. We went up 20 goals and from 28th to like 20th in the NHL. Patience.
Redden doesn't leave a hole that needs to be filled by a premier shutdown defenseman. Redden was a third pairing defenseman. Volchenkov is flashy because of his blocked shots and huge hits, but he provides no more offense/transition game than Redden. You replace Redden with a Paul Mara/Dennis Seidenberg/Derek Morris type veteran in the $1.5-$2 million for one to two seasons range. Not an Volchenkov who's going to command $4.5+ for 5+ seasons.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Considering the strength of the organization is on the back-end I would rather stay away from handing out another large contract on defense again.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote