HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL Franchise Histories

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2010, 11:08 AM
  #26
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Okay, why does the Hamilton Bulldogs get split up because of an affiliation change while no other franchise does?
It wasn't just an affiliation change. Lyle Abraham MOVED the Bulldogs (version 1) to Toronto... but Andelauer (et al) acquired the former Quebec franchise and moved them into Hamilton as the Bulldogs (version 2). The timing worked out so that there was no break in hockey in the city, but they are actually separate franchises, even if it "looks like" the same team to the people in the stands.

It's like how in 1990, the IHL Fort Wayne Komets (v1) were moved to Albany to become the Choppers, but the Frankes acquired IHL Flint and moved them to Fort Wayne as the Komets (v2).

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:46 PM
  #27
NorthStar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
It's like how in 1990, the IHL Fort Wayne Komets (v1) were moved to Albany to become the Choppers, but the Frankes acquired IHL Flint and moved them to Fort Wayne as the Komets (v2).
Wait a minute.. I seem to remember in the Hockey News years ago that the Albany Choppers were classified as an expansion team... that I am sure of.. .will have to dig up more info somewhere but I am really sure I remember the Choppers were mentioned as expansion team...

One other thing.... Do I classify the AHL Texas Stars as an expansion team or the relocated old Iowa Stars or what?? I need to make that clear for my Excel and MS Word project for AHL teams and more.

NorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:21 PM
  #28
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
Wait a minute.. I seem to remember in the Hockey News years ago that the Albany Choppers were classified as an expansion team... that I am sure of.. .will have to dig up more info somewhere but I am really sure I remember the Choppers were mentioned as expansion team...

One other thing.... Do I classify the AHL Texas Stars as an expansion team or the relocated old Iowa Stars or what?? I need to make that clear for my Excel and MS Word project for AHL teams and more.
I had thought the Choppers franchise had existed prior to Albany as part of the IHL's coast to coast expansion.

We can probably think of the Texas Stars as a "temporary" license granted by the AHL BoG. Initially, this temporary deal was to last only one year. The Iowa Chops franchise/license still remains property, so to speak, of the owners in Des Moines so the Texas Stars definitely would not be the relocated Chops. Temporary expansion might be the best classification. Anyone else agree?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 09:43 PM
  #29
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
I'll change it if there is an outcry, but we did call it a conditional franchise.

__________________
The Chicago Wolves = 2008 Calder Cup Champions!
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
  #30
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I'll change it if there is an outcry, but we did call it a conditional franchise.
Makes sense, as that's what this year's team is. If they do acquire the Iowa Chops (as seems likely), they can then be listed as a continuation of that franchise, but the 09-10 team will always carry the "conditional" tag.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:40 PM
  #31
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Choppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
Wait a minute.. I seem to remember in the Hockey News years ago that the Albany Choppers were classified as an expansion team... that I am sure of.. .will have to dig up more info somewhere but I am really sure I remember the Choppers were mentioned as expansion team...

One other thing.... Do I classify the AHL Texas Stars as an expansion team or the relocated old Iowa Stars or what?? I need to make that clear for my Excel and MS Word project for AHL teams and more.
The Choppers were never a member of the AHL, they barely lasted that initial 90-91 season as they had several players that were w/ SPR, and CD (Which we know today as the Albany franchise, soon to be in Charlotte), honored the Choppers fanbase when it collapsed.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
  #32
RFA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
The Choppers were the relocated Ft. Wayne Komets, with the same owner (Bill Welker). They were not an expansion franchise, despite what Wikipedia (or any other source) says. The Choppers were in the old IHL, had several former Springfield Indians/New York Islanders players, and the CD Isles accepted (honored) unused Choppers tickets for their remaining games after the Choppers folded on Feb 14th, 1991 (midyear). The Choppers did have a decent loyal following, but did not have much (if anything) of group sales or casual walk-ups. Plus even 3,000 spread out in a 15,000 seat arena looks very, very empty.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:15 PM
  #33
takehisheadoff
Registered User
 
takehisheadoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cranbrook, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
The Manitoba Moose use to be the Minnesota Moose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Moose

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:52 PM
  #34
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by takehisheadoff View Post
The Manitoba Moose use to be the Minnesota Moose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Moose
True, but they were the Minnesota Moose in the IHL. We limited the history to the AHL.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
  #35
Loosie
Registered User
 
Loosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 500
If you are still keeping this up to date, you may want to put in Manitoba's move to St. John's Ice Caps, and Hartford's name change last year to the Conneticut Whale.

Edit: You are also missing The Oklahoma City Barons


Last edited by Loosie: 09-27-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
  #36
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
If you are still keeping this up to date, you may want to put in Manitoba's move to St. John's Ice Caps, and Hartford's name change last year to the Conneticut Whale.

Edit: You are also missing The Oklahoma City Barons
Oklahoma City is as follows:

Hamilton-Toronto-Edmonton (lockout year) dormant then OKC

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
  #37
RFA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Albany TImes Union article on July 8th, 1990 reports the Capital District Islanders as the old Boston Braves franchise:

At the AHL's Board of Governors meeting in Bermuda two weeks ago, Cantanucci made a formal presentation and subsequently received unanimous approval to purchase the league's dormant Boston Braves franchise. According to Anziano, it was more than a matter of rubber- stamping Troy's application. The board had to be impressed, and it was.


"I thought it was one of the most outstanding presentations I've ever seen," Anziano said, "and I've been witnessing presentations for 23 years."

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:43 AM
  #38
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
The Moncton Hawks lost their affiliation with Winnipeg Jets at the end of the '94 season when the Jets moved to Phoenix.
The local owners sold the dormant franchise (I can't remember to who) when it was announced that the QMJHL was coming to town in '95
But under various affiliations/franchises AHL was in Moncton from 1978 to 1994 winning 1 Calder Cup and reaching the finals in 1994.
Franchise is hard because at the time local ownership was big and affiliations were the name of the game.
But didn't the Moncton Alpines become the Nova Scotia Oilers then the Cape Breton Oilers?
Moncton became the Golden Flames
Gotta add a team I never see on a defunct list but a team I remember is the Cinncinnati Swords a Buffalo affiliate and the Cleveland Barons


Last edited by Alpine: 02-05-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
  #39
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Here is the Hartford timeline:

1926-1976: Providence Reds;
1976-77: RI Reds;
1977-80: Binghamton Dusters;
1980-97: Binghamton Whalers, then Rangers;
2010-13: Connecticut Whale;

1997-2010; 2013- Hartford Wolf*Pack

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:10 AM
  #40
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,252
vCash: 500
Don't forget to add Peoria Rivermen to Utica Comets and Houston Aeros to Iowa Wild.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2015, 11:33 AM
  #41
MM658
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Springfield, MA area
Country: United States
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Interesting (in a sad way) to note that, by my interpretation, there are only four AHL-granted franchises (excluding the teams that came over from the IHL) that are still in their original location. And half of those will drop off that list in 2015-16.

Hershey Bears - in original location since 1938.
Springfield Falcons - in original location since 1994.
Norfolk Admirals - in original location since 2000 (soon to move to San Diego).
Manchester Monarchs - in original location since 2001 (soon to move to Ontario, CA).

MM658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2015, 02:53 PM
  #42
Hoodaha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Oklahoma City is as follows:

Hamilton-Toronto-Edmonton (lockout year) dormant then OKC
Should we add next year's locations? They've already been announced and are happening...

OKC to Bakersfield
Adirondack to Stockton
Norfolk to San Diego
Manchester to Ontario (Reign)
Worcester to San Jose


Most of these names haven't been announced yet, except Ontario, but will be relatively soon (haven't heard on San Jose, but I believe the others are to be announced towards the end of this month).

Hoodaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2015, 06:16 PM
  #43
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodaha View Post
Should we add next year's locations? They've already been announced and are happening...

OKC to Bakersfield
Adirondack to Stockton
Norfolk to San Diego
Manchester to Ontario (Reign)
Worcester to San Jose


Most of these names haven't been announced yet, except Ontario, but will be relatively soon (haven't heard on San Jose, but I believe the others are to be announced towards the end of this month).
not really, and here's why, Hoodaha, except for the first two and Worcester, it's the 1st transfer of a franchise.... both Manchester and Norfolk were expansion teams when granted.

Adirondack goes back to Saint John, 1993-2003, THEN went dormant as Calgary went to Lowell, reactivated in Omaha as the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights(Nebraska spelled backwards, in deference to the tribe that operated the team, then to QCSV and the team which replaced the Mallards which were later brought back in the CHL/ECHL, then Abbotsford, and Adirondack and Stockton.

Worcester began in the famed Rupp Arena backed by USA Hockey ownership in 1996, then has since been owned by San Jose since 2001, first in Cleveland, then Worcester.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2015, 06:43 PM
  #44
Hoodaha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
not really, and here's why, Hoodaha, except for the first two and Worcester, it's the 1st transfer of a franchise.... both Manchester and Norfolk were expansion teams when granted.

Adirondack goes back to Saint John, 1993-2003, THEN went dormant as Calgary went to Lowell, reactivated in Omaha as the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights(Nebraska spelled backwards, in deference to the tribe that operated the team, then to QCSV and the team which replaced the Mallards which were later brought back in the CHL/ECHL, then Abbotsford, and Adirondack and Stockton.

Worcester began in the famed Rupp Arena backed by USA Hockey ownership in 1996, then has since been owned by San Jose since 2001, first in Cleveland, then Worcester.
That makes no sense. Teams are moving, does that not add to their franchise history? Even if they were expansion franchises and will have only moved once, they will have two locations now.

The only question is if we should add it to the list now or at the end of the season when they actually move.

Hoodaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2015, 06:39 PM
  #45
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodaha View Post
That makes no sense. Teams are moving, does that not add to their franchise history? Even if they were expansion franchises and will have only moved once, they will have two locations now.

The only question is if we should add it to the list now or at the end of the season when they actually move.
I would recommend waiting until they actually moved.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.