HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Lineup Predictions and Speculation

Old
04-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I wouldnt be against a 1 year Morris signing.

I still think Volchenkov presents an opprtunity to get the constantly physical dman this team has lacked since Kasparitus left.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:00 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The hole left by a Redden waiving isnt going to fill itself. We dont want to run MDZ, Gilroy, and another rookie all in one year, which is why I recommend getting Volchenkov and filling out a legitimate top 4 defense.

Volchenkov frees up both Rozsival and Girardi to each play with MDZ and whoever our 6th is.

Sign Volchenkov, and McDonagh develops, in 2011 you have probably one of the top 5 defenses in the league in front of a top 5 goaltender.

Defense wins championships. We cant lose if we dont get scored on, same principles apply as in your argument.

I think our offense is progressing. We went up 20 goals and from 28th to like 20th in the NHL. Patience.
We gave up 2.67 goals a game this year. That's 10th best in the league, and that was with Del Zotto and Gilroy both as rookies, and Wade Redden absolutely sucking. Defense does not need a major. long term investment, especially when defensive depth is our system's strong suit.

At the same time, we scored 2.67 goals a game this year. That's 16th best in the league, and we relied solely on Gaborik for most of the year to be in that position. We were damn lucky he stayed healthy, because outside of him, we have no legitimate scoring threat, and I'd say only one other top six forward (Dubinsky).

Fix what's broken, not what's not... especially when our system's depth is also in the thing that is not broken. We are blessed to have Lundqvist, who will hide almost any defensive shortcomings, but he cannot hide our offensive inadequacies.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:04 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I wouldnt be against a 1 year Morris signing.

I still think Volchenkov presents an opprtunity to get the constantly physical dman this team has lacked since Kasparitus left.
And in the nicest, non-offensive way, I think that's blinding you and the others that want Volchenkov.

Just like you shouldn't pay Chris Drury $7+ million a year for 5+ years to block shots and be "intangible," you shouldn't pay Volchenkov $4.5 million plus on the long term deal he's going to require to block shots and be physical.

I won't even get into Volchenkov's style of play and the distinct possibility that his body is going to break down because of it. Although you should note that he's only played 67, 68, and 64 games in the last 3 seasons.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
If we drop Redden and Ollie, we should have enough money to pick up a couple of legit top-6 forwards and still have some cash to sign a Paul Mara-type defenseman but is a little more steady in his own zone.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Trade rosival for a draft pick, waive redden, sign volchenkov with money rosival used to get, then trade for a center like patrick sharp.

After that try and trade Drury for a similar deal that Gomez netted. I don't understand how some of you feel like trading Drury is impossible. He's a valuable asset to a team in need of that 1 player to get them over that hump. Drury is an excellent face-off winning center, he gives it his all especially defensively, and he's the most valuable Rangers penalty killer. I can definitely see him netting a package like a higgins-esque player as well as a prospect. That should save the Rangers an additional 3-4 mill depending on how much salary they get back.

Then after that... don't resign shelly, joke, or christensen. resign prust staal girardi. you'll still have a good 8 mill or so to go after players like zherdev or trade for filatov/radulov, or even max out on kovalchuk... even tho that wouldn't be wise considering then the rangers would have no leeway at all if the needed to make roster adjustments.

Thing is can Sather get the confidence to right his wrongs and essentially admit he made some mistakes? Rosival can definitely be traded. Drury can also definitely be traded however not all of his salary will be taken in a trade, even though if you think about it this way, in all likelihood with Sathers magic, the higher the salary taken back the better the prospect to go along. Similar to Gomez getting in a hardworking player as well as Montreal's best defensive prospect. No one saw that coming, no one thought Gomez could get that much in return but the truth is all NHL teams are in need of experienced and still productive players. While Drury may not be that productive goal scoring wise he makes up for it in experience, hustle, and defensive play. Not to mention Sather could always present the argument that Drury's goal scoring totals decreased bc he had no support behind him... so yes it is very possible to trade him. And Redden? I've given up hope in any sort of trade for him. I don't want to waste a valuable prospect just so another team can swap him with a player of similar play but less contract years. Bury him in Hartford, his cap hit goes away, we'll never hear from him again.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

This kills me.

Why couldnt we trade Drury? Has nothing to do with his downhill spiral offensively or his contract. Its the fact that he is the captain of a team he loves and has a NMC Let me repeat it. He loves it here and has a NMC That HE, has to waive in order to be dealt. He is here for the duration, so we better get used to it.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
This kills me.

Why couldnt we trade Drury? Has nothing to do with his downhill spiral offensively or his contract. Its the fact that he is the captain of a team he loves and has a NMC Let me repeat it. He loves it here and has a NMC That HE, has to waive in order to be dealt. He is here for the duration, so we better get used to it.
We can always hope the team we're trading him to is either a) a legitimate cup contender in a big city that he could equally love or b) colorado where the people worship him, where he might actually love it more than in ny....

Old
04-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Drury is dealt this offseason, I will strip naked and run down 3 blocks of your choice in Manhattan. This is how positive I am that he is staying here.

Pipe dreams. Pipe dreams

Last edited by Fitzy: 04-18-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old
04-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Rust Heisenberg

thanks slats for giving drury the NMC.

yet another stupid move.

Old
04-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Yeah...

PROTIP: Assume Drury is here for another two seasons. We will continue to pay $7,050,000/season for a 3rd line center.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH View Post
Yeah...

PROTIP: Assume Drury is here for another two seasons. We will continue to pay $7,050,000/season for a 3rd line center.
Unfortunately, we won't be moving Drury.

More unfortunately, I'm not sure how much longer we'll be considering him a 3rd line center. He's not exactly suited for center ice, and his skills are deteriorating quickly. We may be paying $7,050,000 for a 4th line wing before the end of his contract....

Old
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

More unfortunately, I'm not sure how much longer we'll be considering him a 3rd line center. He's not exactly suited for center ice, and his skills are deteriorating quickly. We may be paying $7,050,000 for a 4th line wing before the end of his contract....
Which is why, in 2012, at the end of Drury and then Rozy's contracts, and hopefully part of our system having developed, is going to feel like a breat of fresh air for this franchise.

Season after that, Crosby is a UFA

Old
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

You mean team's don't ordinarily pay 7 mill a season for their 4th line centers?

Old
04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Trade rosival for a draft pick, waive redden, sign volchenkov with money rosival used to get, then trade for a center like patrick sharp.

While I like Sharp, he is more suited on the wing than center. If we were to get him we could stick him on Gaborik's line and let Dubi play 2nd line LW.

Sharp - Christensen - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Prospal - MZA
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Prust - Anisimov - Shelley

Something like this (assuming with bring back Prospal)...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Which is why, in 2012, at the end of Drury and then Rozy's contracts, and hopefully part of our system having developed, is going to feel like a breat of fresh air for this franchise.

Season after that, Crosby is a UFA
Ugh, no. I don't care how good he is, seeing that smug mug of his in Broadway Blue would make me puke.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Ugh, no. I don't care how good he is, seeing that smug mug of his in Broadway Blue would make me puke.
It would take about 20 games of prime 27 year old Crosby and everyone would be in love with the guy.

Although I doubt Pittsburgh fails to renew him before then.

Old
04-18-2010, 09:18 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Doesn't Crosby still live with Lemieux? He ain't going anywhere... especially not NY... he can't afford the rent.

Old
04-18-2010, 09:58 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Trade 'em for a couple of $5 footlongs to whoever wants them. We're obviously not going to get anything of value back for either one of them.
I usually agree with you Crease, but I disagree with letting Avery go. I think if Avery can get his game going like he did at points this season, he is invaluable. Secondly, I really don't see another team taking a chance on him after what happened in Dallas. I guess it's possible, but the risk for another team seems to outweigh the positives. Also, I think that if Avery gets traded, then the team that trades for him is on the hook for his entire contract, not just the NYR half (though I could be wrong about that).

Next, Drury has a NMC. Basically the only place I could see wanting Drury, and that he would possibly agree to waive his NMC for, is Buffalo, but I have no idea how they would make room, what we'd get back, what else we'd need to include to sweeten the pot etc. Unfortunately, I think he is here for the long haul. He's not a bad player, and if he was making $3-4m a year, I'd gladly take him back since there are things that he does well, but at $7.5m, I just don't see us moving him.

Now, that being said, I agree with what you have said about Aasen and Anisimov. It is optimistic to stick them into the 2nd line, and ideally you don't want them to have to try to play there if they're not capable. We desperately need some more top 6 talent, since right now I think we have 1 legitimate top 6 forward in Gaborik. Prospal is aging, and who knows if he'll even be back. Plus, he has quite a bad history of "every other year-itis" where he seems to suck every second season. I love Callahan and Dubinsky, and they could be legit 2nd liners next year, but they're still on the cusp, and aren't established.

I like Christensen a lot too, but I also don't think that he really is a legit top 6 guy, he seems like a 40-50 point guy at the best case scenario, which is a little low if he even can reach that...which is questionable, I mean the guy was a waiver pick-up so...

We really do have some decent building blocks, and hopefully some of these guys do turn into 60+ point guys...I think Dubinsky is the most likely, with Callahan having a shot too. All in all, we NEED to make a run at Kovalchuk as far as I'm concerned. The guy is a game-breaker, and we do have a decent supporting cast that can play gritty hockey. With him, and Gaborik, we'd have a dynamic 1-2 punch who are both YOUNG, along with a few good looking prospects who are always questionable (Kreider, Stepan, Grachev and a few others) and a lot of other guys who are developing in the right direction, albeit slowly but surely in Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov etc.

We're on the right path IMO, but we do need another big time guy, and I don't think that Frolov, or another guy like this is the answer. Obviously I'd love to build from the ground up, through the system, but that is not always possible, and more importantly, it isn't a crime, or a deviation, to supplement these developments with talented free agent signings. If they're pricey, that is OK, as long as they are guys that are going to produce, which is what Kovalchuk is.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Out of those 3 I'd want 1)Byfug 2)Sharp 3)Versteeg.

It was based on cap hits and usefulness for the Hawks.

You put Byfug with Anisimov and Prust and that's a sick line.

Sharp can play with Cally or Gabby.

I think they might be able to get Byfug but it's going to involve taking a lot of salary back so my main thing was, if it involved Huet coming back the other way and they can get a pick with it, I do it.

Armchair GM time ;

Huet/Byfug/2011 first or second rounder for Rozi/Byers/2011 3rd rounder.

Also, Williams in LA can be had for probably not much. He was scratched last night and has injury history, but he's worth the gamble for one year as a secondary scorer if they can shed some salary.
I really don't understand this love affair with Buff. He's big, but other than that, he doesn't bring anything to the table. He's never touched 20 goals or 40 points, but earns $3MM per year. That's an awful return on investment.

I'd MUCH rather have Sharp or Versteeg. Hell, I'd rather have Patrick O'Sullivan than Buff.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I really don't understand this love affair with Buff. He's big, but other than that, he doesn't bring anything to the table. He's never touched 20 goals or 40 points, but earns $3MM per year. That's an awful return on investment.

I'd MUCH rather have Sharp or Versteeg. Hell, I'd rather have Patrick O'Sullivan than Buff.
I don't want Buff either, he has a lot of question marks about his game. He is a crappy skater, and if it wasn't for the fact that he's had a couple of really good games/5 game streaks or so, his stats would look vastly less impressive.

He's huge, so I guess if you camped him in front of the net, I guess he could score 20 goals or so, but in terms of top 6 talent, I am very, very skeptical. He's definitely very unfinished, and while he is still young (I think 25), I really don't see him ever reaching the potential that he shows every once in a while. I could definitely see us getting him and then him being the most frustrating player on the ice in the same way Marcel Hossa was, but for different reasons.

Old
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Bollands pretty good too. Good playmaking center. Hefty cap hit though.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I usually agree with you Crease, but I disagree with letting Avery go. I think if Avery can get his game going like he did at points this season, he is invaluable. Secondly, I really don't see another team taking a chance on him after what happened in Dallas. I guess it's possible, but the risk for another team seems to outweigh the positives. Also, I think that if Avery gets traded, then the team that trades for him is on the hook for his entire contract, not just the NYR half (though I could be wrong about that).

Next, Drury has a NMC. Basically the only place I could see wanting Drury, and that he would possibly agree to waive his NMC for, is Buffalo, but I have no idea how they would make room, what we'd get back, what else we'd need to include to sweeten the pot etc. Unfortunately, I think he is here for the long haul. He's not a bad player, and if he was making $3-4m a year, I'd gladly take him back since there are things that he does well, but at $7.5m, I just don't see us moving him.

Now, that being said, I agree with what you have said about Aasen and Anisimov. It is optimistic to stick them into the 2nd line, and ideally you don't want them to have to try to play there if they're not capable. We desperately need some more top 6 talent, since right now I think we have 1 legitimate top 6 forward in Gaborik. Prospal is aging, and who knows if he'll even be back. Plus, he has quite a bad history of "every other year-itis" where he seems to suck every second season. I love Callahan and Dubinsky, and they could be legit 2nd liners next year, but they're still on the cusp, and aren't established.

I like Christensen a lot too, but I also don't think that he really is a legit top 6 guy, he seems like a 40-50 point guy at the best case scenario, which is a little low if he even can reach that...which is questionable, I mean the guy was a waiver pick-up so...

We really do have some decent building blocks, and hopefully some of these guys do turn into 60+ point guys...I think Dubinsky is the most likely, with Callahan having a shot too. All in all, we NEED to make a run at Kovalchuk as far as I'm concerned. The guy is a game-breaker, and we do have a decent supporting cast that can play gritty hockey. With him, and Gaborik, we'd have a dynamic 1-2 punch who are both YOUNG, along with a few good looking prospects who are always questionable (Kreider, Stepan, Grachev and a few others) and a lot of other guys who are developing in the right direction, albeit slowly but surely in Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov etc.

We're on the right path IMO, but we do need another big time guy, and I don't think that Frolov, or another guy like this is the answer. Obviously I'd love to build from the ground up, through the system, but that is not always possible, and more importantly, it isn't a crime, or a deviation, to supplement these developments with talented free agent signings. If they're pricey, that is OK, as long as they are guys that are going to produce, which is what Kovalchuk is.
Love all your points, POLAR. You're right on in your assessment in the team.

As far as Avery goes, I think he has the potential to add tremendous value to the team. The only problem I have is that we have a log-jam of third line talent, and unless we rid ourselves of a couple of them, we'll be forced to sprinkle them in the top-six. And of Avery, Drury, Anisimov, Aasen, Callahan, and Christensen (if we re-sign him), I'd obviously like to keep Anisimov, Aasen, and Callahan.

But this of course is in an ideal world, and in reality no one is going to take Drury or Avery off our hands. Thus, get ready for a weak second line again this year...

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Love all your points, POLAR. You're right on in your assessment in the team.

As far as Avery goes, I think he has the potential to add tremendous value to the team. The only problem I have is that we have a log-jam of third line talent, and unless we rid ourselves of a couple of them, we'll be forced to sprinkle them in the top-six. And of Avery, Drury, Anisimov, Aasen, Callahan, and Christensen (if we re-sign him), I'd obviously like to keep Anisimov, Aasen, and Callahan.
Ah ok, I know what you mean in terms of our log-jam. It seems like we've had a logjam in 3rd line talent since as long as I can remember. However, the reason I am against getting rid of Avery is because I think that he can bring things to the table to no other 3rd liners (or very few) can. Hopefully out of Anisimov, Aasen, Callahan, Christensen and Dubinsky, at least a few of these guys can be 2nd liners. I think that Dubinsky can definitely be that guy, he has progressed every year and I think 60 points is definitely a possibility within the next 2 years. Christensen, as much as I like him personally, I think he will fizzle out. This is just a gut feeling, and I hope that I'm wrong, but that is just kind of how I see it. Callahan is awesome, and is the perfect 3rd liner with slightly above 3rd line skill, who could notch 50 points and 25 goals for sure. There's nothing wrong with having 3 scoring lines like Buffalo rolled a few years ago.
Anisimov and Aasen are really the question marks. I liked what I saw from Aasen in the Olympics a lot, but I didn't see him in the SEL at all and don't want to claim I know more than the average person about him. I'm hoping that he'll be a great addition, but the jury is totally out. Anisimov, in my opinion, could be a great player...but down the road. He seems like the kind of guy that could be a 35 point guy next year, 40-45 points the year after, 45-50 the year after, and then maybe could turn the corner. But, he's super young, and we need to have patience. He could be a guy that has 1st line talent down the road, but I don't see it for at least 4 years or more, if he ever gets there.

Old
04-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Rust Heisenberg

I just want Sharp lol. This team needs offense, the guy has a knack for scoring goals and being in the right place at the right time. His cap hit is Do-able, he'd complement Gaborik very nicely as he can match his speed and also is a bigger offensive threat than anyone else was who played with Gaborik this season. Add in Zherdev/Radulov/Filatov to that line and you get one of the best top lines in all of the NHL.

Not to mention add in Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan as the 2nd (as the energy + grinding line) and you get one of the best hard-nosed lines in the league as well. As you remember 2-3 years ago under Renney the rangers ran an "energy line" which would be the one that got the entire crowd and team spark plugged. This was lacking from this current rangers team and arguably it lacked from the team that played before this season as well. They need to re-establish this line to have success.

Then have an experimental line like Grachev-Anisimov-MZA and you'll add in a decent chunk of offensive talent that will a) develop togethor over the years (as this will hopefully be the Rangers future 1 line) b) gain much needed nhl experience c) give you a line which is alone more offensively potent than any line the rangers had this entire season, with the exception of Dubinsky, Jokinen, Gaborik.

And add in a 4th line of more grinders like Prust-Drury-Byers/Weiss/Dupont/Shelly/Boyle.

The Rangers will be more offensively inclined in 1 offseason as well as a tougher overall team to face.

Not to mention if they are able to trade Rosival and bury Redden... they'll be able to sign Volchenkov to a deal and then also call up Sangs or Sauer or Potter or Heikenen if he stays (although i heard he will not).

The team will keep the core, will get rid of some overpaid players, allow their tougher players to play in a role better suited for their style of play, become more offensively inclined, and solidify the defense big time.

Old
04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Byfug ws just a suggestion; I think he'd be great on a line with Anisimov and Prust and he creams people so the NY crowd would love him. Plus maybe he can be brought here for less than Versteeg or Sharp or Bolland.

I don't know about going into the year with both PA and MZA as top 9 and also I liked Prospal a lot, but if he's not brought back it's fine because he's pretty old.

Weise needs to be up already, no questions ask. He's developed his game enough at the AHL level.

With news that Stepan and especially McD, and Hagelin are all most likely staying in college for another year, they need another top 9 winger or two. Go for value for short term deals, whether it's Demitria, Holmstrom, Kariya,...I don't know, just someone short term 1-2 year deal. That's why I like Sharp and Williams.

For rookies; 2-3 will make the squad out of training camp: I think Weise has the inside track, maybe MZA, and most likely Sangs or maybe Kundratek steals a spot. Grachev needs one more year in the AHL and while I'd love to see Werek who works his derriere off steal a spot, he needs to keep developing.

For D there's so many veteran Dmen to get short term. I really like Lilja from Detroit; he'd be a great cheap short term fix, another Swedish buddy for Henrik, and he comes from a winning organization.

Remember also that the Brashear cap hit is going to force them to play somone cheap to cancel it out.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote