HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

04-18-10 Nashville @ Chicago Game 2 (NSH 1-0)

Old
04-18-2010, 11:00 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Weber is invisible. He needs to use his size, get angry and start hitting some people out there. He also needs to start hitting the net with his shots. Too much tonight and Friday did he take a little off his shot and look for deflections but his shots were so far off target there was no chance of it. Shea, let her rip. You've got the shot, use it. You've got the size, make guys like Kane, Toews, Sharp and Hossa pay every time they touch the puck.

On that subject, everyone needs to take the body more. This is the playoffs fellas. No more peeling off guys after they get rid of the puck. Make them remember you're out there. If Tootoo isn't hitting anyone then he has no business being out there. I get we're playing a system but if these guys know they're not gonna get hit once they get rid of the puck, they know they can hold on to it that much longer and make the right play.

The lack of discipline tonight really disappointed me as well. We deserved most of the penalties we got but the reason we got them was lack of hustle. Most of those were lazy penalties. This is not the time to be lazy on the ice.

I'm thrilled with the split. I didn't expect a win tonight. I do expect a much better effort on Tuesday night. This team has done it time and again and I believe they will again.

Rinne has been pretty stellar so far. Niemi didn't suck tonight either. I guess those wondering if these could handle the pressure have their answer so far.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:00 PM
braindead

ehh, whatever. We won one. I thought the effort was actually there but the penalties completely robbed us of any energy. They were able to play the matchup game... now it's our turn. We were in it mid-way through the 3rd; I'll take that as the positive. We do need Horny. We don't need Sully/Franson on the point. We should play Grebs on Tuesday. Boyd played well. Can't wait for Tuesday.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:01 PM
CloakroomCrusader

What's the point of dressing Franson when he's going to get less than 9 minutes of play time, less than Tootoo. Might as well put Grebs in there if we're just going to use him for PP, because frankly Grebs would be better on the PP IMO.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:17 PM
thejlb*

I dunno. The first playoff game they were advertising the game on thursday but said Tuesdays game had tickets available. Same with tonights game. I have had the luxury of going to a couple playoffs game here against the sharks the second time around. It was amazing. I didn't pull the trigger fast enough 2 seasons ago. Don't know if the economy is that bad or what really. I know I was at best buy over the weekend and target and they were packed pretty good. I'm sure its more people are just being stingy on what they want to spend money on. It will be there loss though. Tickets aren't that badly priced, and it will be insane.

My biggest complaint is my seat is in the second row of 325 about 4 seats away from center ice. and the 2 next to me nobody has season tickets for. Everybody else in my row is STHs. It just seems like everybody that comes in from out of town sits next to me. I hate it. I'd love to sit next people from nashville. Or fans of preds I should say.

Last edited by thejlb*: 04-18-2010 at 11:23 PM.
thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predeuce777 View Post
What's the point of dressing Franson when he's going to get less than 9 minutes of play time, less than Tootoo. Might as well put Grebs in there if we're just going to use him for PP, because frankly Grebs would be better on the PP IMO.
Chicago dictated matchups with last line change. Franson's minutes were limited because of that. And...unfortunately Grebs clearly isn't recovered enough to play yet. It's certainly not a confidence issue as witnessed by the limited minutes Franson is getting as a rookie...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:11 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Can I hate on the GDT now! Haha : )

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:18 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Can I hate on the GDT now! Haha : )
why? it pulled a rinne and did enough to get us a split and even a chance at a 2-0 lead. however the supporting cast didn't do enough to give it some help.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:04 AM
canadianpredsfan97

Hey guys, at worse we got a split in Chicago. Better than we have ever had when starting on the road. I think we need to win game 3 and get momentum back.

And when worse comes to worse when analyzing this game. Be thankful of one thing, at least we're not Sharks fans.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 02:18 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
A few too many looked like they were simply satisfied with a split and not caring about this game. I heard Trotz on the post game say there were too many guys "not ALL IN". There just wasn't the same attitude as game 1.

Arnott, Wilson were completely invisible until the end of the game.

I appreciate the line of Smithson, Boyd, Spaling tonight. They worked their ***** off all night and had the best chances. If they had any kind of hands we could have had 3 or 4 goals.

Hamhuis/Klein together on both goals. Different situations for both goals, but they were both out together. When apart, they are fine, but when put together it's like they turn into beer league defenders trying to defend Lemieux/Gretzky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Tonight needs to be close and in your face hockey. We need this team to step it up a level from Friday. No dumb penalties. Communicate on the ice. Keep your head where it needs to be. If Nashville plays like the team we've all seen them play as we could be looking at a two game lead coming home.
Too bad the Preds didn't get this memo.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 06:59 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Weber is invisible. He needs to use his size, get angry and start hitting some people out there. He also needs to start hitting the net with his shots. Too much tonight and Friday did he take a little off his shot and look for deflections but his shots were so far off target there was no chance of it. Shea, let her rip. You've got the shot, use it. You've got the size, make guys like Kane, Toews, Sharp and Hossa pay every time they touch the puck.

On that subject, everyone needs to take the body more. This is the playoffs fellas. No more peeling off guys after they get rid of the puck. Make them remember you're out there. If Tootoo isn't hitting anyone then he has no business being out there. I get we're playing a system but if these guys know they're not gonna get hit once they get rid of the puck, they know they can hold on to it that much longer and make the right play.

The lack of discipline tonight really disappointed me as well. We deserved most of the penalties we got but the reason we got them was lack of hustle. Most of those were lazy penalties. This is not the time to be lazy on the ice.

I'm thrilled with the split. I didn't expect a win tonight. I do expect a much better effort on Tuesday night. This team has done it time and again and I believe they will again.

Rinne has been pretty stellar so far. Niemi didn't suck tonight either. I guess those wondering if these could handle the pressure have their answer so far.
I think Weber has been pretty invisible since the Olympics.

And the commenting about lack of play on the body...........We just tapped into them. It kind of makes me crazy. Are we too nice, or what? Not willing to hit cause we might not get hurt,what ????

Rinne needs a team to start playing in front of him.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:29 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
A few too many looked like they were simply satisfied with a split and not caring about this game. I heard Trotz on the post game say there were too many guys "not ALL IN". There just wasn't the same attitude as game 1.

Arnott, Wilson were completely invisible until the end of the game.

I appreciate the line of Smithson, Boyd, Spaling tonight. They worked their ***** off all night and had the best chances. If they had any kind of hands we could have had 3 or 4 goals.

Hamhuis/Klein together on both goals. Different situations for both goals, but they were both out together. When apart, they are fine, but when put together it's like they turn into beer league defenders trying to defend Lemieux/Gretzky.

Too bad the Preds didn't get this memo.
I'll give you the second one they scored but to rip these guys for giving up a power play goal is unfair. Was it their fault Tootoo took a penalty 200 feet from their own goal? They have been a PK duo all season and as of late, the PK has been pretty good as a team. I believe at one point we gave up 5 goals on 45 chances recently so their play hasn't been as bad as it was earlier in the season. Chicago has a pretty good PP last time I checked and at some point, they're gonna put the puck in the net with a man advantage. To blame two guys when it's a team game is a bit much.

As far as the second goal goes, Klein was back covering the passing lane on a 2 on 1, what more could he have done? Legwand makes a weak pass back to Hamhuis on the point and Hamhuis decides to pinch without getting the puck or Kane. So while blaming the combination of those two is easy, Klein really had nothing to do with the bad play made by Hamhuis and Legwand.

You are spot on with the 4th line assessment. I thought they were the only line that showed any sort of fire last night. They were all over Chicago and gave us our best scoring opportunities. The problem was we never built off of their shifts and had to wait 3 or more shifts to get any energy back on the ice again.

I think as someone said, we were happy to get the split as opposed to trying to get the second win and go up 2-0 in the series. The split was good but now we have to take care of business on home ice Tuesday and Thursday nights. If we don't, game 1 was for naught.

Old
04-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predeuce777 View Post
Are the playoffs being pushed at all advertising wise in Nashville?
The only advertisement I've seen is the same lame "in Smashville" advertisement they've used all season, except with a playoffs logo on it. That's it.

We'll be lucky to break 15k

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Jarnberg

You aren't going to win a playoff hockey game with an offense as atrocious as that. The team simply isn't able to generate any substantial offensive zone pressure.

Yeah we "kept it close", but it doesn't matter when your team cannot score.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:12 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Weber needs to realize the best strategy is not always a 900 mile per hr shot and use a wrister low to the ice sometimes. IF there is a pred in front of the net playing the deflection that can be much trickier for a goalie to predict than pure velocity as he has no idea how to play it

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:12 AM
RollingPredFan

LOL Lots of gloom and doom here

Well we need Hornqvist, but there should be more than one guy on this team with testicular fortitude to get to the net. We haven't really played our best game yet, we can do a lot better. Our special teams got us beat, We had ample PP time and did nothing and gave up a PP goal.

And yes I am disappointed in the 1st line, they have done NOTHING. Wake up Arnott you look asleep lol and Wilson looks like a rook.

Having said that we are fine, we are 1-1 going home... At the beginning of the series everyone would have took that.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
PredAlert

Unfortunately(or not) I couldn't watch the game tomorrow in the middle of the night but from what I've seen in the highlights that was actually a good thing. Highlights had like 15 Hawks' scoring chances and 1 or 2 Preds'. Boyd had a good one(glad Barry gave him a chance), he just couldn't lift the puck over the pads of Niemi
If he scored there it would've been quite frustrating for the Hawks', dominating like that and still be 1-0 down. A shame, we really could have gotten under their skin there. I see a lot of you agree there was a lack of effort and I believe you. I kinda expected something like that actually, after all I think after game 1 they were thinking "we got what we came for". Rinne was FANTASTIC. Kudos to the guy, he's stepping up big-time. We limited them to 1 and 2 goals in the first 2 games which is great but we really need to create more scoring chances. That's going to kill us if we don't. 1st line's been completely out of sync.

I hope they forget about yesterday's disaster and come out strong tomorrow. After all we'll be playing on home ice. Gotta pressure them on our turf.

A big shoutout to all of you who are gonna go to the game tomorrow, cheer like crazy, make the Bridgestone Arena a madhouse and our boys should be fine. I'm optimistic, 2-1 Preds after game 3.

Go Preds

Edit: Btw guys, who was our best(least worst) player yesterday except for Rinne? Which line looked most dangreous(least undangerous)? How did Dustin do?

Last edited by PredAlert: 04-19-2010 at 08:22 AM.
PredAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:26 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

8:00 start is BS, that takes every parent with a kid in school out of the game, or it takes many of them out of the game.

We wonder why there's not much offense in the game then you look at the ice time and see that Smithson despite taking a penalty for tripping had 3 minutes more ice time than Dumont, they leading scorer in the first game.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

To say the second goal "wasn't Klein's fault at all" is flat out wrong. Was it his fault that they had a 3 on 1? No, that was a mixture of Legwand and Hamhuis, but Klein didn't play the man or the puck. He froze like a deer in the headlights, unable to make the decision in the moment, which is his biggest weakness.

There's a lot that disappointed me in that game, but nothing more than hearing Trotz say that a lot of guys weren't "all in" for this game. You have the opportunity to go up 2-0 heading back to Nashville, and you're not motivated to play your best game? Where is the leadership? As absent as Arnott's on-ice contributions? That's pretty inexcusable. We're not as talented as the Blackhawks, no one will dispute that, but what gave us a chance in this series is our work ethic. If we get outskilled AND outworked? Forget it. We won't win another game. From puck drop on, the Hawks clearly "wanted it" more, and we were content to job for them. Trotz mentioned that there were several things to "work on," but I think the biggest problem isn't something that can be fixed by "working on it." You either have that hunger or you don't.

I've had my scrutiny of Arnott, and it's no secret I've never been his biggest fan. This is his defining moment, IMO.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Arnott watching Seabrook push Sullivan and then not stepping in between them got all over me. He's such a wus...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
That did not feel like a playoff game. I want to see the intensity ramped up Tues. You can clearly see some guys are giving 100 percent and others aren't.
Exactly. This looked like a game in October, not mid-April. Actually this didn't just LOOK like a game in October, it WAS the game from October 24th, 2009, also a 2-0 yawner of a Blackhawk victory at the United Center.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I've had my scrutiny of Arnott, and it's no secret I've never been his biggest fan. This is his defining moment, IMO.
no offense, but his winning a cup on his stick in a game seven is his defining moment.

but i assume you mean as captain of this franchise.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Well, the team got the split, all you can ask for with these two games. Now comes the 5 game series with Nashville taking the home ice advantage.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
no offense, but his winning a cup on his stick in a game seven is his defining moment.

but i assume you mean as captain of this franchise.
That is what I mean. His "prior accomplishments" mean very little to me. He was supporting cast in the leadership of the 2000 New Jersey Devils. He doesn't have Scott Stevens, Ken Daneyko, Scott Niedermayer or Patrik Elias to fall back on when he doesn't know what to say or do. This is his defining moment as a member of the Nashville Predators, particularly as a captain.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
To say the second goal "wasn't Klein's fault at all" is flat out wrong. Was it his fault that they had a 3 on 1? No, that was a mixture of Legwand and Hamhuis, but Klein didn't play the man or the puck. He froze like a deer in the headlights, unable to make the decision in the moment, which is his biggest weakness.
2 on 1 the dmans responsibility is to take the passing lane out. Klein played it exactly how he was taught from squirts on up. He didn't have any help. Puck carrier is the goalies man, he just got off a great shot. I thought Klein did a nice move by giving a little head fake to try and force the shot. If he try's to play the man or the puck, the pass is made and Peks is seriously hung out to dry.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
2 on 1 the dmans responsibility is to take the passing lane out. Klein played it exactly how he was taught from squirts on up. He didn't have any help. Puck carrier is the goalies man, he just got off a great shot. I thought Klein did a nice move by giving a little head fake to try and force the shot. If he try's to play the man or the puck, the pass is made and Peks is seriously hung out to dry.
Thank you.