HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2010 MLB Thread (All Yankees, Mets and General MLB talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not a mets fan.. I'm already a fan of one embarrassing new york team.

That was also one of the most poorly managed games I ever seen. Since when do pitchers bat for themself with the BASES LOADED in the bottom of an extra inning? I don't think there's ever been a game with more baserunners stranded on 3rd base

Old
04-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I heard that Pena will give the Rays a discount. How big a discount? Remains to be seen.

Sabathia who is good friends with Crawford, is already recruiting him.

I can live without him. Whether they sign Crawford or not will likely come down to how Gardner plays this year.

If he can hit .270-280, .350obp and steal 30-40 bases with solid LF defense. Then I don't see the need to spend 70+ million on Crawford.
Not when Gardner can be a poor mans Crawford.

Also you don't want to keep locking position players into contracts. If you're the Yankees it's best to keep some of them open.
agreed.

id much rather the Yanks go after Lee than Crawford. Pitching wins in the post season. and weve got more than enough offense...as long as Gardner doesnt crap the bed that is. With that said, i still think they will go after Crawford at the deadline.

Old
04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
agreed.

id much rather the Yanks go after Lee than Crawford. Pitching wins in the post season. and weve got more than enough offense...as long as Gardner doesnt crap the bed that is. With that said, i still think they will go after Crawford at the deadline.
I don't see that.

For one, the Rays will be in the race, two, they aren't trading him to the Yankees or anyone else in the division, three, why would the Yankees trade for him win he will be a FA at season's end?

As for Cliff Lee not a big fan of him and spending big money on pitchers who at some point always get hurt. In fact I think he's overrated.

He had the big year in Cleveland in 2008. And was great in the NL in the second half with Philly.
Before that check out his career stats. ERA in the 4's 5's 6's. He had a good year in 05.

But for the money he's going to command, I don't think he's worth it. He's not on Sabathia's level imo, be he's going ask for his money.

Last edited by BroadwayBlues: 04-18-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old
04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Rumors are all over that Ike Davis is being brought up.

Old
04-18-2010, 09:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
They should give Chris Carter a look first, and let Ike continue to get ABs at AAA and work on hitting LHP. But whatever, good for Ike, he's a terrific prospect.

And Mike Jacobs shouldn't have been on the team in the first place. He's a worse version of Russell Branyan.

It's just pain.
Old
04-18-2010, 09:27 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post

Looks like it could be true. Mike Jacobs was designated for assignment.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ut_jacobs.html

Old
04-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Crease

Davis will probably be brought up when they designate Stoner after this game. Good. If I'm going to watch this team lose 90 games this year, I'd rather them do it with solid prospects than over-the-hill rejects like Matthews and Tatis.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Jerry Manuel batted Frank Catalanotto 4th last night. Honestly, why is this man still employed as a major league manager?

Old
04-19-2010, 07:39 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They should give Chris Carter a look first, and let Ike continue to get ABs at AAA and work on hitting LHP. But whatever, good for Ike, he's a terrific prospect.

And Mike Jacobs shouldn't have been on the team in the first place. He's a worse version of Russell Branyan.
nyr2k2 - I agree 100%. I was trying to figure out why Mike Jacobs made the opening day roster over Chris Carter. I was looking at Carter's numbers and he was a DH for a lot of those games. I guess there is a concern with his defense although Jacobs isn't a gold-glover himself. I do want to see what Carter can bring. I am nervous about Ike Davis coming up too early. The Mets never get it right when to develop a player (Reyes and Wright are the few exceptions). Is Mejia up too early? I am hoping when Beltran returns to the lineup, Chris Carter can replace Gary Matthews but who knows.

Davis' promotion definitely will be an exciting thing to watch as the Mets start 4-8. It may be a calculated move to distract the Mets fans from the abysmal start.

Old
04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Re: Ike Davis

That's not a good spot to put a rookie in. He's really being talked up. He's being almost labeled as a savior of the Mets season. Not good...

When you call up a rookie you don't want to put too much pressure on him. It's best to take it a bit slow and see how he responds. But the way the media and the Mets are fawning for him to be called up almost as if he's the answer to their season.

Old
04-19-2010, 09:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

That's not a good spot to put a rookie in. He's really being talked up. He's being almost labeled as a savior of the Mets season. Not good...

When you call up a rookie you don't want to put too much pressure on him. It's best to take it a bit slow and see how he responds. But the way the media and the Mets are fawning for him to be called up almost as if he's the answer to their season.
Can you show me where he's being hyped as the savior? I haven't seen any of that. People are clamoring for the hot prospect, but I haven't seen anyone tie the Mets' fortunes this season to his promotion.

Old
04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Can you show me where he's being hyped as the savior? I haven't seen any of that. People are clamoring for the hot prospect, but I haven't seen anyone tie the Mets' fortunes this season to his promotion.
I'm referring to talk show host and fans.

There's a reason why he's not up yet. Maybe the Mets want him to spend some more time in AAA. You just can't rush prospects despite what numbers they're currently putting up. Which is a big change from recent years where they would rush their prospects.
Fans always want to rush prospects. People are/were clamoring for Tejada to make the team after ST, well he's currently hitting .080 in AAA.

Old
04-19-2010, 10:17 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I'm referring to talk show host and fans.

There's a reason why he's not up yet. Maybe the Mets want him to spend some more time in AAA. You just can't rush prospects despite what numbers they're currently putting up. Which is a big change from recent years where they would rush their prospects.
Fans always want to rush prospects. People are/were clamoring for Tejada to make the team after ST, well he's currently hitting .080 in AAA.
Ah, yeah. Well as we know, 90% of the people on radio airwaves are idiots.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Gee, that sounds familiar. How many threads are there here about how we need to bring up all our prospects because they'll make us into a cup contender?

Fans rarely look at the reality of it and just blindly think that player X can save the club

Old
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
ike davis is up.. heard it on wfan

Old
04-19-2010, 01:29 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Ah, yeah. Well as we know, 90% of the people on radio airwaves are idiots.
Exactly, they're not smart like us internet people.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:45 PM
darko

Quote:

That's New York media for you. They've been overrating and overhyping their prospects quite abit.

I'm not saying that Ike is overrated. Just saying people need to lay off and let him play baseball and not put extra pressure on him. He has a chance to be a pretty good player for Mets.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
1-1. Dude is a lock for the HOF, first ballot.

Old
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
1-1. Dude is a lock for the HOF, first ballot.

RBI single off a lefty...get the bust at Cooperstown ready.

Old
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
LeetchisGod
HL30 + McD27 4 Life

I love the way this season has begun. The Yanks are kicking ass and the red sux are terrible.

Old
04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Easter Epic

Send a message via AIM to Easter Epic
Orioles will lose 110 games this year. Yankees may not lose 1 game to the Orioles this season.

Old
04-19-2010, 10:30 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Davis will probably be brought up when they designate Stoner after this game. Good. If I'm going to watch this team lose 90 games this year, I'd rather them do it with solid prospects than over-the-hill rejects like Matthews and Tatis.
I agree, let them grow into there roles.

Old
04-20-2010, 08:15 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easter Epic View Post
Orioles will lose 110 games this year. Yankees may not lose 1 game to the Orioles this season.

Wayyy to early for that. Their bats have started very slowly. Adam Jones (.230 BA), Nick Markakis (.240), Tejada (.239), Nolan Reimold (.162) and Brian Roberts has played in only 4 games. I dont even see them finishing last in division. Outside of Romero and Marcum, Jays have no pitching (unless you are a believer in Dana Eveland).

Old
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus released a new prospect list over at ESPN.com, and Jesus Montero checked in at 2nd:

Jesus Montero, C, New York Yankees (Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)
Monday’s stats: 2-for-4, HR (1), 2 R, RBI
New York City got awfully excited about Ike Davis, a good-but-not-great prospect, coming to town on Monday. What will it be like later in the season when the Yankees call up one of the best prospects in the game? Surely, the surrounding factors won’t be the same. Mets fans are desperate for a light of hope in a miserable lineup and want Davis to be the answer, while Montero won’t arrive with the same expectations. At 20 years old, he’s one of the youngest everyday players at the upper levels, but he’s also the top hitting prospect in the minors. Montero is batting .300 and showed off power for the first time Monday afternoon against former big leaguer R.A. Dickey. Get the hype train revved up again.
http://www.theyankeeu.com/

Old
04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Back to back wins, baby! World Series, here we come!

Closed Thread