HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The "A" Word Returns ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
  #1
ILikeItILoveIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
The "A" Word Returns ...

(for those who frequent both sites, this also appears on the dreadful official pred board)

I have been consistently impressed with management's ability to exceed the 14K threshold with strong crowds during the 2nd half of the season, included a huge amount of weekday games in March, without making attendance an issue. No threats. Just quietly had big crowds. Less emphasis on sellouts and more on paid seats.

Then we hear we're 2k short of a sellout for tomorrow night's game. If this holds and we don't sellout (which if the 2k is true, we won't), then this is a head scratcher. The push for marketing these games has been underwhelming which I originally perceived as an indicator we were ok. Like the big crowds in March, management knows what they're doing and the seats will be filled.

Yes it's a lousy date draw (Tues/Thurs/Mon) but it's the freakin BlackHawks. They sellout 22K and they're an 70 minute direct Southwest flight from here. If we had weekend games, they'd come down in droves to buy up what we didn't sell. Less will come on weekdays but some will. Better than playing the Canucks or Yotes or Sharks.

Why hasn't management put the peddle to the meddle and make sure this was a sellout? Maybe they assume people will gobble the tickets in the last 24 hours and they want the pure revenue. If they're wrong and we have 15.8 there tomorrow night, it will be a story. I haven't been keeping track but I bet most of the playoffs games so far have been sellouts.

This would be an uncharacteristic blunder by our ownership group. They should have figured out a way to back-door buy up the tickets, donate them to orgs that will give them away to fill the seats.

I know, it's TCAP testing week in the schools and the one hour later start x's out many of the kiddies, but geez, are we that fragile?

The environment is so important tomorrow. We have to "bring it" and staring at empty seats will make that difficult.

A less-than-sellout, coupled with a loss, could be devastating to our outlook. Imagine what the players will think when they skate out to empty seats.

Come on, Smashville, buck up and show up.

Management: Figure out a way to make it happen.

The "A" word is like Jason in those horror films. It looks dead but than aburptly, stiffly, sits up, and comes at you again. It just won't die and the sequels are endless.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 05:44 PM
  #2
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
(for those who frequent both sites, this also appears on the dreadful official pred board)



Yes it's a lousy date draw (Tues/Thurs/Mon)...


I know, it's TCAP testing week in the schools and the one hour later start x's out many of the kiddies, but geez, are we that fragile?
These are two huge issues TCAP/8/Tuesday takes virtually any family with kids between 2nd and, say, 10th grade out of the mix. Thinking of our Saturday night games, that is a HUGE group. Having said that, I think they have decided that the revenue from 16K at full price is better than "Military Monday" pricing to get the building full. Thursday will be much bigger because of the earlier start and TCAP Friday is makeup only-- if we win on Tuesday, then all the better.

I would hope that they are making some quiet efforts to sell off some excess through some large entities such as Vandy/Bridgestone/HCA. We need at least 16.5 to avoid real embarassment.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 05:50 PM
  #3
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
I couldn't agree more with this post. I think I'm going to be a little embarrassed by the crowd tomorrow night.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 05:51 PM
  #4
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,040
vCash: 500
I said this before..I have previously been extremely impressed with how much the Predators have been plastered all over town in promotion...but since the marketing director stepped down last month, I've not seen anything outside of the lame, "It's not who you play, it's who you play with" commercials. I think maybe they assumed that the playoffs sell themselves, but it's definitely not looking like the case.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
  #5
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 500
It's not like the NHL helped out with that stupid 8PM start time, why not just start the game at 9 or 10 or midnight. The 2 teams are in the Central Time zone yet get Pacific start times

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 06:02 PM
  #6
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
They need to start giving away comps IMO. The barn needs to be filled tomorrow night with a great atmosphere. The players deserve that atmosphere in the Playoffs. Whether the seats are paid for or not....

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
  #7
ILikeItILoveIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I said this before..I have previously been extremely impressed with how much the Predators have been plastered all over town in promotion...but since the marketing director stepped down last month, I've not seen anything outside of the lame, "It's not who you play, it's who you play with" commercials. I think maybe they assumed that the playoffs sell themselves, but it's definitely not looking like the case.
Wasn't aware our Marketing Director stepped down last month. Who was it and why? Timing wasn't good. Who's running the show now?

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
  #8
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
We sell what we sell. We reached 14k avg paid for the regular season with a huge drop in comps and even with the late start and testing we should be well over our regular season avg paid numbers.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
  #9
Milly79
Registered User
 
Milly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbia, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
I'm sure the $10 tickets will help out tomorrow. I know a few people are going to be in line super early to make sure they get tickets.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
  #10
goalscorer
Registered User
 
goalscorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paducah, Ky
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
What's the "A" word? sarcasm:

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:25 PM
  #11
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Wasn't aware our Marketing Director stepped down last month. Who was it and why? Timing wasn't good. Who's running the show now?
Derek Perez was brought in from a Silicon Valley marketing position over the summer. He resigned last month for unspecified personal reasons and Ed Lang took over Perez's responsibilities for the remainder of the season...at which point marketing quickly stopped generating new ideas and simply became a continuation of what already underway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
They need to start giving away comps IMO. The barn needs to be filled tomorrow night with a great atmosphere. The players deserve that atmosphere in the Playoffs. Whether the seats are paid for or not....
Sorry, but unless you really want to upset a large percentage of those that have bought tickets...you don't do that. There is a reason that the team has reduced the number of comps since the Leipold era...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
I'm sure the $10 tickets will help out tomorrow. I know a few people are going to be in line super early to make sure they get tickets.
While that is great, it is limited to 100 tickets and will be a great source of cheap tickets for scalpers to turn around and jack up the price...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:36 PM
  #12
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,954
vCash: 500
It's sad they took all the kids out of the crowd.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
  #13
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post


Sorry, but unless you really want to upset a large percentage of those that have bought tickets...you don't do that. There is a reason that the team has reduced the number of comps since the Leipold era...
Perhaps giving away is a little extreme. How about discounted tickets? Or donating tickets? Or ownership buying up the tickets and donating them?

Simply is going to be very bad in tons of ways if the arena is noticeably light tomorrow night. Bad for publicity, bad for the crowd, bad for the players.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
  #14
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Perhaps giving away is a little extreme. How about discounted tickets? Or donating tickets? Or ownership buying up the tickets and donating them?

Simply is going to be very bad in tons of ways if the arena is noticeably light tomorrow night. Bad for publicity, bad for the crowd, bad for the players.
I agree, it's a no win situation...period.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:17 PM
  #15
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
The league just conducted a little market research on game times for us. Apparently 2000 is a bit late on a school night during state standardized testing.

If the reports are right, we're over 15k and considering the further reduction of comps during the post season .... we're ahead of our regular season.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
  #16
thejlb*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermitage, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
I said in yesterdays GDT it is a shame, but being out and about this weekend. I see the traffic in the downtown area. I saw the lines in best buy and target. I just think people are being more picky on what they are spending money on. The hour later start time is dissapointing. Don't know if its because the amount of games going on and the ability to televise them all in a night. I dunno. I know my row is 2 short of being full.nobody ever sits there.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 08:57 PM
  #17
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,565
vCash: 500
we'll be fine

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
  #18
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The league just conducted a little market research on game times for us. Apparently 2000 is a bit late on a school night during state standardized testing.

If the reports are right, we're over 15k and considering the further reduction of comps during the post season .... we're ahead of our regular season.
For a team that depends on playoff revenue as badly as we do...look at Poile's comments on personnel decisions for next season hinging on that playoff revenue...I don't think we can so quickly brush off empty seats in what is a sure sellout in most markets. Does it look bad? Yes, and it's already caught national attention...but that's not my concern. Like I said when I brought up this fear after the last game of the season...it's all about viability, and I don't think ownership thinks or should think that merely being "ahead of regular season" is good enough.

It's not all on the fans...as mentioned, since Perez(thanks SLake for reminding me of his name) left last month, advertising hit the wall, and that falls on the ops people...but even with a start that's an hour later than usual, it shouldn't be that difficult to fill one of the smaller barns in the league.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
  #19
Lsquared
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
I work in sales for the team and let me tell you the response I have heard over and over and over again...... "we're gonna wait and see if they make the 2nd round, then we'll buy tickets." I mean, it's the NHL playoffs. Nothing beats the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Especially in our barn. The atmosphere for the playoffs is something everyone should experience.

Lsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
  #20
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
This unfortunately just exemplifies once again that this franchise relies too heavily on personal ticket sales as opposed to corporate sales. Some people just can't afford the tickets even if they had season tickets and some can't justify the late weeknight start.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
  #21
Lsquared
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
This unfortunately just exemplifies once again that this franchise relies too heavily on personal ticket sales as opposed to corporate sales. Some people just can't afford the tickets even if they had season tickets and some can't justify the late weeknight start.
The late start does have something to do with it as well. A lot of people from the Louisville, Huntsville, Memphis, and Chattanooga areas have decided it's not worth getting home at 1 or 2 in the morning to come to the games.

Lsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:01 PM
  #22
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKEYEinTN View Post
I work in sales for the team and let me tell you the response I have heard over and over and over again...... "we're gonna wait and see if they make the 2nd round, then we'll buy tickets." I mean, it's the NHL playoffs. Nothing beats the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Especially in our barn. The atmosphere for the playoffs is something everyone should experience.
hmmm is that having shi..y fans or smart consumers? it really turns into a circular logic type debate but there are a lot of people out there that feel they shouldn't reward the team with their money until they get past the first round.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
  #23
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
hmmm is that having shi..y fans or smart consumers? it really turns into a circular logic type debate but there are a lot of people out there that feel they shouldn't reward the team with their money until they get past the first round.
shi..y fans

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
  #24
thejlb*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hermitage, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
I won't dare tell another fan what to do. I will however say the fans have been burned before many times of supporting the team and supporting the team. Only to be dissapinted in their eyes anyway. No doubt its dissapointing to see nothing happen after we work so hard to get to the playoffs. The team has to be able to afford the talent which comes from the fans. Undoubtedly if we sold out games all the times we would be able to get a couple extra players maybe that make all the difference.

That being said I know Me and my family will all be in attendance as usual. I know a couple of my die hard preds friends will be as well. Hopefully we can just keep growing and not rely on the same people to go to everygame just so we can get a sellout.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
  #25
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,318
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
we'll be fine
I think so too. lets all take the rodents advice and just chill until we see how things shake out. I think we'll top 16K even if its not a total sellout and that will be plenty enough to have the usual loud and rocking playoff atmosphere

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.