HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to do the scoopy puck move

Old
04-18-2010, 12:20 AM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
How to do the scoopy puck move

Some call it the Crosby Move, some call it the Mike Legg move, or the Michigan move. I'm calling it the scoopy puck move. I thought a few people in the forum might be interested...

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 12:30 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Great vid, this is a cool trick. I would add that waxing your stick helps give it more grip (and keeps the snow off the blade) which can be useful when first learning.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Steelhead16

Saw Mike Legg do that at the blue line and then spin a 360 with the puck at shoulder height and fire pucks into the net from there a bunch of times at practice. He would pick it up and do the spin and shoot all in one move. It was pretty impressive, he would fire the pucks pretty hard.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Webernaut

It's called a Michigan when you scoop it and score from behind/side of the goal. If you just pick it up in the middle of the ice you would call it a Lacrosse move because you would cradle puck like a lacrosse player. Otherwise you would just call it picking up the puck or I might call it the Scoopy Puck move from now on...

It's not the Crosby move. Mike Legg was the **** and he did it first.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 01:49 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
It's called a Michigan when you scoop it and score from behind/side of the goal. If you just pick it up in the middle of the ice you would call it a Lacrosse move because you would cradle puck like a lacrosse player. Otherwise you would just call it picking up the puck or I might call it the Scoopy Puck move from now on...

Yeah I know, most younger players only know about Crosby doing it, so that is what they search for on Youtube (that's why I put it in the video title )

Fresh tape or stick wax definitely helps

The 360 is not much harder to do than doing it stationary, really you are still using centrifugal force to keep the puck on your stick. When I first saw this done I practiced in my barn and got it pretty quickly, it took me a bit longer to learn on ice because there are different dynamics, but it really isn't as hard as it looks.

There are a lot of variations as well, I can do it while skating, 360, backhand, through the legs (like Rob Hisey but not as effortlessly)

I didn't think it was very useful in a game because it takes a while to set up, but if you can do it lighting fast like Rob Hisey does in this video, you might be seeing more of it...

Old
04-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Hockeyfan68

That Rob Hisey stuff is pretty damned slick.

I can't do puck tricks worth a crap. I saw a guy once who could do slick trick stuff with pucks but he couldn't shoot to save his life. I think he should have spent more time trying to score instead of doing puck tricks but that is just me I guess.

Fun to watch though at shinny.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 09:37 AM
kirsi

im going to go practice in my garage thanks

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Webernaut

Just a heads up to everyone, depending on the league you play in odds are the opposition won't like this new found move. I went for one in my beer league last week and got wrecked badly... Still a little sore though the puck did go in!

I pulled this off a variation of this on a break away in an inline tournament. Came down the right side faked backhand, forehand, picked it up and flipped it behind the goalies right shoulder (blocker side and my left). It was nasty. haha

Old
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
noobman

It's fun to practice at stick and puck, but I would never use it in a game.

I've noticed that pretty much every younger hockey player (kids, some teenagers) has mastered this move since it became popular. In a couple of years we could be seeing more of it in the NHL

Anyways, I do the move a little differently. I take advantage of my stick flex so that I don't have to have my lower body as close to the ground... same effect though. By the way... it's 100x harder to do when in motion. Good luck with that.

Anyways, I'm really digging these how-to-hockey vids. Keep up the great work!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Briere Up There*

It's a throwaway skill I taught myself standing in line for drills in high school. I like to do it backhand because it's easier that way.

Wish I worked on my shot more than I did on this goofy trick.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
It's a throwaway skill I taught myself standing in line for drills in high school. I like to do it backhand because it's easier that way.

Wish I worked on my shot more than I did on this goofy trick.
Throw away skill? No way dude. This is a great thing to learn. It helps you learn stick control and soft hands.

Old
04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Throw away skill? No way dude. This is a great thing to learn. It helps you learn stick control and soft hands.
I don't have soft hands, some people just don't. I growl at the puck and swear at it.

Bull in a china shop hockey school ... checking line foreva!

Old
04-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Briere Up There*

Quote:
Really? I'm sure the process helps hand eye in some way or another but it's not something you'll do in a game.

If you want to screw around practice flipping the puck up and juggling it. I swat the puck down a lot better after a little of that.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 06:47 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I don't have soft hands, some people just don't. I growl at the puck and swear at it.

Bull in a china shop hockey school ... checking line foreva!
No kidding right? thank God I have a hard shot and a big butt, I'm a ***** along the boards.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
There is only one use for this, to hand the puck to the ref. I prefer the flip to the ref but if you must be fancy...

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
SJGoalie32

More importantly....here's how to stop it in a game situation (for a goalie):

When you see the guy behind the net trying to get it on his stick, put your pad up against the post low, put your glove up to take away the high corner, then take your goal stick and chop down as hard as you can on the guy's wrist.

No ref will call it because, well, you're in your crease and it really looks like you're just trying to stop the puck with your stick (it's still your job to try to stop it, and it's his fault for carrying it at his waist level and up around your head).

Back in my youth and college days, I found it worked as a very decent deterrent.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
There is only one use for this, to hand the puck to the ref. I prefer the flip to the ref but if you must be fancy...
I've scored with this move 3 or 4 times. If the D is giving me time, the ice is good, and my tape isn't covered in snow, then I have a good shot at it. Goalie's aren't expecting it to come from that angle.

I don't think it's anymore showboating than the guy with tons of speed going end-to-end 5 times a game without looking to pass.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Hockeyfan68

I did do this once with a Bud Light foam rubber promotional puck on my kitchen linoleum floor. I get the mechanics of it but feel dumb at the rink trying to learn it in front of other people who play.

I see kids do this and because they are kids it seems okay but I feel like I look like a dork trying this at over 40 years old.

Ever since that youngster scored in the mini one on one in Boston and made a video hit on the video websites with it I see every kid try this all the time. Which is good by the way, we need kids trying to improve every generation.

I just feel funny and am not the type of person to do showoff tricks anyway even if I did learn it. Anybody else feel that way?

Old
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
noobman

Quote:
Believe it or not, most non-NHL refs would probably prefer it if you didn't flip the puck at them.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Believe it or not, most non-NHL refs would probably prefer it if you didn't flip the puck at them.
...Because 95% of the people that try it shoot it at them instead of flipping it to them softly.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
I completely agree. The amount of time players can waste on show-off, showboating crap is insane, especially when they're in desperate need of improvement in other areas.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

Actually no, he didn't.

Legg trained with a Detroit Viper player from the old IHL, who taught him the move. The guy scored twice in the I using that move well before Legg did.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

The first time I ever saw it was the Legg (didn't know his name until this thread but remember the video) goal too. Vladimir Ruzicka could do it though in the early 90s ... he never did it in a game though he did do some other stuff in games and was pretty psycho for the Bruins for 3 years or so. .... until he got fat and was traded to Ottawa where he retired not soon after from the NHL.

Old
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Actually no, he didn't.

Legg trained with a Detroit Viper player from the old IHL, who taught him the move. The guy scored twice in the I using that move well before Legg did.
It was Bill Armstrong, who if I remember right had to retire after they discovered he had a brain tumor.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:25 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It was Bill Armstrong, who if I remember right had to retire after they discovered he had a brain tumor.
GREAT now I have to re-shoot the entire video!! Haha, Just kidding. To many people have claim to this move, scoopy puck it is!