HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

CHAT ROOM thread (all non-ATD discussion here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2010, 08:16 AM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
They should just remove the kicking rule entirely. How many goals actually get scored by a distinct kicking motion? It is much harder to kick in a goal on purpose than to simply put it in with your stick. Why even bother making a rule about it? Not many guys will even attempt to play soccer to score a goal. This would get rid of the grey area completely.
I always thought the same thing, until someone pointed out that the kicking rule is there because they don't want a bunch of guys in a goalmouth scrum kicking each other with skates on. I can definitely imagine a goalies getting their hands stopped on while trying to smother the puck. It's more of a safety thing than a competition thing.

Old
04-20-2010, 10:07 AM
jarek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I always thought the same thing, until someone pointed out that the kicking rule is there because they don't want a bunch of guys in a goalmouth scrum kicking each other with skates on. I can definitely imagine a goalies getting their hands stopped on while trying to smother the puck. It's more of a safety thing than a competition thing.
Like Luongo did last night? I cringed when Smyth landed on his hand. Luongo is lucky he still has fingers. Those gloves must be made of some awfully tough material to not be cut my sharp skates.

As long as they keep that rule as ambiguous as it is now, they can call anything they want, because it's so ambiguous. Their reasoning was "oh the direction of the puck changed so it had to have been a kick". It was freaking redirected in by a stopping motion!!!! Unless a guy really just kicks it in, it shouldn't be disallowed. I understand the need to get the call right, especially in a situation like that, but the call definitely was not right.

Closed Thread