HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "A" Word Returns ...

Old
04-19-2010, 11:59 PM
token grinder

vCash: 500
i plan on yelling loud and long enough for at least 5 people, if not more. 10,000 of people like me and we don't need to sellout. i want the building to be alive and shake again. have been loading up on fluids to get the throat ready.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:06 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i plan on yelling loud and long enough for at least 5 people, if not more. 10,000 of people like me and we don't need to sellout. i want the building to be alive and shake again. have been loading up on fluids to get the throat ready.
as always, i will be available via the board for free post playoff game voice consultations... glad you are taking steps in advance.

another piece of prevention... for any of you that have heartburn, take some pepcid complete in the morning and again right before the game... acid reflux will kill a throat...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:35 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKEYEinTN View Post
I work in sales for the team and let me tell you the response I have heard over and over and over again...... "we're gonna wait and see if they make the 2nd round, then we'll buy tickets." I mean, it's the NHL playoffs. Nothing beats the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Especially in our barn. The atmosphere for the playoffs is something everyone should experience.
Like I got flamed for, I don't think losing in the 1st round will do anything to ignite the dormant fans or bring in new ones. Marginal impact. "Who are we playing"?-- a question I got today from a former STH.

We've got to get out of the 46th percentile. The only good that comes out of it is the extra million in net revenue or so.

Here's a hypothetical question... if the Titans have never won a playoff game in their history (in TN), would there be as much support? Really doubt it, eventhough this is 'football country'. Their first year at Vandy, they were struggling to get support at 8-8. Honestly, I still think they are partially riding the wave of going to the SB... It got Nashvillians excited, people who'd never really paid attention to the NFL got into it, the casual fans became diehards, Nashville had a team pro team to cheer for, Media circus=best marketing possible, etc, etc.

So let's win this thing

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:27 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
For a team that depends on playoff revenue as badly as we do...look at Poile's comments on personnel decisions for next season hinging on that playoff revenue...I don't think we can so quickly brush off empty seats in what is a sure sellout in most markets. Does it look bad? Yes, and it's already caught national attention...but that's not my concern. Like I said when I brought up this fear after the last game of the season...it's all about viability, and I don't think ownership thinks or should think that merely being "ahead of regular season" is good enough.

It's not all on the fans...as mentioned, since Perez(thanks SLake for reminding me of his name) left last month, advertising hit the wall, and that falls on the ops people...but even with a start that's an hour later than usual, it shouldn't be that difficult to fill one of the smaller barns in the league.
At $50 per seat, the difference in gate generated revenue between 15k and 17k sold is $100k for each game. If the team ends up in the 16k sold range (which is were it always has been for the playoffs) the net is in excess of $750k per game from tickets alone.

While the team plays in one of the smallest barns, we also have one of the smallest populations to draw from and depend on people who travel from Clarksville, the Boro, etc .... there is a balancing act to get people into the building.

Since you seem to have all of the answers to fill the building with paid attendees every night ... the address is 501 Broadway. Send a resume for the vacant marketing job.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
At $50 per seat, the difference in gate generated revenue between 15k and 17k sold is $100k for each game. If the team ends up in the 16k sold range (which is were it always has been for the playoffs) the net is in excess of $750k per game from tickets alone.

While the team plays in one of the smallest barns, we also have one of the smallest populations to draw from and depend on people who travel from Clarksville, the Boro, etc .... there is a balancing act to get people into the building.

Since you seem to have all of the answers to fill the building with paid attendees every night ... the address is 501 Broadway. Send a resume for the vacant marketing job.
Where did I say I had all the answers? I just pointed out that advertising, which had been impressive throughout the season, had grinded to a halt.

But, no, you're right. Nothing to see here. Disregard the man behind the curtain. Everything is just fine, the Preds have no financial issues whatsoever, and 15K is practically 17K.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:06 AM
PredsMan

If we can't sell out this game, we really don't deserve this team.

I'm sorry, but it's getting a bit ridiculous...

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:10 AM
lstcyr

I've been reading this thread in amazement. I wish I lived closer so I could go to the games. I'd never miss a playoff game. It's way too exciting even if we don't make it out of the first round. (And I'm not saying we won't.)

I still remember the atmosphere from the ones I attended when they first made the playoffs. Incredible.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
glenngineer

Why don't we let the team worry about attendance and financial issues and we as fans worry about being fans of what's going on on the ice? I get the concerns but until we see what's going on inside the Bridgestone tonight, why worry about it? Why worry or speculate on if Hornqvist is going to play too? Certain things are out of our control.

I just want to enjoy hockey and the team. If they can't afford to be here because of attendance issues, it's not gonna change all that much because of what we discuss here in our little pool of hockey nuts. Hockey nuts used affectionately of course. We are the die hard fans. The team has done a bunch of things already to reach out to the community and attendance has improved this year. It's gonna take time to fix what Leipold broke.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Where did I say I had all the answers? I just pointed out that advertising, which had been impressive throughout the season, had grinded to a halt.

But, no, you're right. Nothing to see here. Disregard the man behind the curtain. Everything is just fine, the Preds have no financial issues whatsoever, and 15K is practically 17K.
well, as usual, the truth lies somewhere in between.

the truth is the actual difference to the bottom line of 2K sold for one or two games wont really affect the health and well being of the predators, financially. I believe thats what 101s point is.

I do however, understand that only selling 15K for our first playoff game in 2 years raises concern in general about the level of committment of the market.

What I would point out is, a marketing blitz does cost money. So do we spend $50,000 or more on last minute advertising in hopes that we sell those last 2K tickets and recoup 100K?

is having a sellout worth some non-dollar intangible that makes it worth spending extra money on a marketing blitz for a game thats a tough sell?

the answer is, i dont know, but i suspect neither answer is wrong, depending on which you think is more important, the absolute amount of net cash generated, or the intangible value of a sold out house.

Old
04-20-2010, 08:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
If we can't sell out this game, we really don't deserve this team.

I'm sorry, but it's getting a bit ridiculous...
no, your statement is ridiculous.

Old
04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
glenngineer

I think having weekday games has hurt sales this week. The tests for kids in school this week has hurt sales this week as well. The economy I'm sure has hurt sales this week. Leipold pissing off businesses a few years ago has hurt corporate sales. Lots of things to consider here but I have a funny feeling the place will be packed tonight. Just a guess on my part but the barn will be full, somehow, someway.

Old
04-20-2010, 08:27 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

This team has one playoff game with 17k paid seats in its history ... having that as the expectation is unrealistic and only sets you up for disappointment. The last playoff series against the Wings had a game with only 16k paid ... and over 1000 comps. Usually they are in the 16.5k range (+/- 250).

Wring your hands, worry, and bemoan the situation all you want ... it's $50k or so at the gate if we only sell 15.5k rather than the traditional 16.5k for a playoff game .... that $50k isn't going to have a huge viability impact.

Old
04-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think having weekday games has hurt sales this week. The tests for kids in school this week has hurt sales this week as well. The economy I'm sure has hurt sales this week. Leipold pissing off businesses a few years ago has hurt corporate sales. Lots of things to consider here but I have a funny feeling the place will be packed tonight. Just a guess on my part but the barn will be full, somehow, someway.
This is where I call bs ... most of these kids that go to games, I would imagine go to institutions of higher learning ... Montgomery Bell Academy, Franklin Road Academy, Battle Ground Academy, Overbrook, etc, etc, etc

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:47 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
This is where I call bs ... most of these kids that go to games, I would imagine go to institutions of higher learning ... Montgomery Bell Academy, Franklin Road Academy, Battle Ground Academy, Overbrook, etc, etc, etc
Because only those who spend thousands of dollars a year in tuition bring their kids to hockey games. :

No ice hockey for the plebeians ..... let them watch Nascar.

Old
04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Really? You don't think there is a high number of families with elementary and middle school aged children that go to public school are hockey fans?

And since when are private schools called institutes of higher learning? Doesn't that phrase reference Colleges?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
So the guy I share season tickets with who's son goes to public school that wants to go the game tonight with his classmate go to private school? I didn't realize Page Middle was one of those.

Don't all schools do TCAP's at the same time anyway? I know the SAT's were given to everyone on the same day in NY way back when. Don't know how they do it here but seems like all kids would have to do the same tests on the same set of days. I have no idea to be quite honest and don't really care either.

I just know I'm going to the game tonight.

Old
04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
It looks like most of the tickets available are the lower bowl. I would think the businesses did not buy playoff tickets and when people are finding out they cant get the cheaper sections they are turned off at the time.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Speaking of BS. What are you basing this ridiculous assertion on?

FWIW my son and I will be at the game tonight. Because of late start time in combination with TCAP we will probably leave early, as much as I and my son hate it. I know for a fact that this has kept some people at home that would have been at the game. The late start time with TCAP has hurt ticket sales.

He goes to a public school. I know, shocking a FSTH that allows his son to go to public school. I should be ashamed.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Nitrous Mafia

I'll be in the lower bowl but I didn't pay, I just got the hookup.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

my kid goes to public school... in KENTUCKY. And he'll be there tonight..

but I am certain the day and the time and the TPAC are responsible for at least a couple hundred people not going who otherwise would have.

what we need is corporate entities to take up the slack, and this is where the team has done well in the past. i suspect we'll have an announced sellout, though probably with higher than average comps.

Old
04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Personal finances, weekday game, later start time, waiting until second round games...I can see all of those points.

But this school testing? Are you freaking kidding me? Do the Preds actually have that many school aged children who buy tickets (or actual adults who buy and attend the games, many of whom have no school aged children)? Is the fear that all the little Johnnys and Marys will be crushing beers all night long and they can't go to school with a morning buzz and/or hangover? Is school on weekdays a new concept in Tennessee...hasn't there ever been a sporting, cultural, entertainment, or religious gathering/event on a "school night" before? Is this standardized testing the SAT, medical boards, bar exam, driver's test and NFL scouting combine all wrapped into one pass/fail scenario with underachievers boarding Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 and crash landing on the island of Lost?

I'm just sayin'.....

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:36 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Personal finances, weekday game, later start time, waiting until second round games...I can see all of those points.

But this school testing? Are you freaking kidding me? Do the Preds actually have that many school aged children who buy tickets (or actual adults who buy and attend the games, many of whom have no school aged children)? Is the fear that all the little Johnnys and Marys will be crushing beers all night long and they can't go to school with a morning buzz and/or hangover? Is school on weekdays a new concept in Tennessee...hasn't there ever been a sporting, cultural, entertainment, or religious gathering/event on a "school night" before? Is this standardized testing the SAT, medical boards, bar exam, driver's test and NFL scouting combine all wrapped into one pass/fail scenario with underachievers boarding Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 and crash landing on the island of Lost?

I'm just sayin'.....
I don't have kids but the later start coupled with testing probably has some parents not coming tonight with their kids. It's not 2000 worth but I'm sure there were sales lost because of it. I know my parents had a bed time for me during the week and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been going to a hockey game that started at 8 that wouldn't end til 1030 at the earliest to get home by 11 to be up and at school at 8. Everyone family has different rules and boundaries.

I'm gonna blame the Globetrotters for messing up the schedule last week because we would've had a Sunday game if it weren't for those dang basketball players. Heck, if the series goes to 6 games, we still won't have a weekend game. How messed up is that? Anyone want to go on a conspiracy theory that the league is trying to sabotage the Preds? How about some of the weak calls in the last two games? Just kidding. It does amaze me that we won't get a weekend game at home in the playoffs though. That's just BS.

Old
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
token grinder

I would just make my kid suck it up. TCAP testing is a joke anyway.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I don't have kids but the later start coupled with testing probably has some parents not coming tonight with their kids. It's not 2000 worth but I'm sure there were sales lost because of it.

I'm gonna blame the Globetrotters for messing up the schedule...last week ....

It does amaze me that we won't get a weekend game at home in the playoffs though. That's just BS.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

And don't forget that the Chicago announcers said on air that they were worried about the ice conditions on Thursday because of the Bon Jovi concert tomorrow. They've preemptively blamed Nashville for poor ice on Thursday because of another event at the venue, but didn't care too much about the 'Trotters messing up the entire first round schedule as far as weekend games when it came to multiple events at the UC.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:06 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKEYEinTN View Post
I work in sales for the team and let me tell you the response I have heard over and over and over again...... "we're gonna wait and see if they make the 2nd round, then we'll buy tickets." I mean, it's the NHL playoffs. Nothing beats the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Especially in our barn. The atmosphere for the playoffs is something everyone should experience.
My fiance floated that idea last night. I said I thought the impact was mainly economical...people not being willing to buy tickets and pay for parking/food/etc, but he thought people just aren't that excited by the first round of the playoffs anymore since we've been one-and-done so many times, and if we make it to the second round people will start buying.

As far as the economical thing goes though, I heard a guy on the radio call with that reason and he said a $30-40 ticket would be expensive for him. Willy countered by telling him about the $10 tickets and other tickets that fell below his price range, which this guy didn't know about. So I think it's a combination of economic issues, and the Preds not making people aware of the deals they can get. I mean honestly, the best advertising I've seen for the postseason was the dudes decorating the Musica statue (which was awesome, BTW). I went to Sports Seasons to see if I could buy a playoff shirt and wear it around for a little free advertising for the Preds, but they only had TWO designs...one adult and one child. And not b/c they were sold out either...just b/c that's all there was! WTF?! I told them that was pretty ridic, and they should have more Preds stuff in their window display than just a Toots jersey hanging next to a Braves jersey.

All this lack of excitement is messing up my mojo. I was all pumped for this game and now I'm depressed it might not be sold out! There are gonna be blowup games/live music/whatever outside the arena before the game right? Maybe the Preds are hoping all that stuff will attract people to the box office at the last minute??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
my kid goes to public school... in KENTUCKY. And he'll be there tonight..
HA, yes! I love it!

Do high school kids have to take the TCAP? My brother hasn't even mentioned it. F the TCAP! That test was always a joke anyway.

I'm not looking forward to the fact that my job as a nurse requires me to get up at 5 AM the morning after games, and any chance of a decent amount of sleep is gonna be shot, but I don't care. I'll be there for EVERY game screaming my head off...and they need to be SELLOUTS!!!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote