HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "A" Word Returns ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
  #51
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Personal finances, weekday game, later start time, waiting until second round games...I can see all of those points.

But this school testing? Are you freaking kidding me? Do the Preds actually have that many school aged children who buy tickets (or actual adults who buy and attend the games, many of whom have no school aged children)? Is the fear that all the little Johnnys and Marys will be crushing beers all night long and they can't go to school with a morning buzz and/or hangover? Is school on weekdays a new concept in Tennessee...hasn't there ever been a sporting, cultural, entertainment, or religious gathering/event on a "school night" before? Is this standardized testing the SAT, medical boards, bar exam, driver's test and NFL scouting combine all wrapped into one pass/fail scenario with underachievers boarding Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 and crash landing on the island of Lost?

I'm just sayin'.....
It's starting an HOUR LATER. Yes that makes a difference. Normal game we get home around 10:00, tonight that would be 11:00 - 11:30 with extra TV timeouts. My son has been to all home games except for 3 and that was because his hockey team was playing that night. Sorry if I'm trying to be a parent for my child, but that hour most definitely does make a difference, especially if he has to spend the entire day taking some BS test. Big difference between you sucking it up and 12 year old doing it. So yes, we're going to have to step out early. Sucks, but sometimes real life has to take precedence.
FWIW we'll be at Thursday's game and will stay for the entire game. No testing on Fri. Only makeups.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
  #52
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
It's starting an HOUR LATER. Yes that makes a difference. Normal game we get home around 10:00, tonight that would be 11:00 - 11:30 with extra TV timeouts. My son has been to all home games except for 3 and that was because his hockey team was playing that night. Sorry if I'm trying to be a parent for my child, but that hour most definitely does make a difference, especially if he has to spend the entire day taking some BS test. Big difference between you sucking it up and 12 year old doing it. So yes, we're going to have to step out early. Sucks, but sometimes real life has to take precedence.
FWIW we'll be at Thursday's game and will stay for the entire game. No testing on Fri. Only makeups.
I agree the later start time is a legitimate issue, whether it's a travel issue from outlying areas, early work tomorrow, school whatever. The fact that the game is during the standardized testing week, sorry, but no.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
  #53
MemphisMTLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Personal finances, weekday game, later start time, waiting until second round games...I can see all of those points.

But this school testing? Are you freaking kidding me? Do the Preds actually have that many school aged children who buy tickets (or actual adults who buy and attend the games, many of whom have no school aged children)? Is the fear that all the little Johnnys and Marys will be crushing beers all night long and they can't go to school with a morning buzz and/or hangover? Is school on weekdays a new concept in Tennessee...hasn't there ever been a sporting, cultural, entertainment, or religious gathering/event on a "school night" before? Is this standardized testing the SAT, medical boards, bar exam, driver's test and NFL scouting combine all wrapped into one pass/fail scenario with underachievers boarding Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 and crash landing on the island of Lost?

I'm just sayin'.....
I am baffled by the excuses. TCAP? Really? This is a playoff game against the freaking Blackhawks. People aren't going to show up because of the TCAP? It goes well beyond that. I think people just aren't interested in seeing the Preds lay another egg in the first round. I guarantee that if we miraculously made it to round 2, we'd sell out every game. In fact, if we would have won game 2, I doubt this thread would need to exist. I think we'll be in better shape come game 4 if we win tonight.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
  #54
MemphisMTLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I don't have kids but the later start coupled with testing probably has some parents not coming tonight with their kids. It's not 2000 worth but I'm sure there were sales lost because of it. I know my parents had a bed time for me during the week and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been going to a hockey game that started at 8 that wouldn't end til 1030 at the earliest to get home by 11 to be up and at school at 8. Everyone family has different rules and boundaries.

I'm gonna blame the Globetrotters for messing up the schedule last week because we would've had a Sunday game if it weren't for those dang basketball players. Heck, if the series goes to 6 games, we still won't have a weekend game. How messed up is that? Anyone want to go on a conspiracy theory that the league is trying to sabotage the Preds? How about some of the weak calls in the last two games? Just kidding. It does amaze me that we won't get a weekend game at home in the playoffs though. That's just BS.
I was hoping for a Sunday home game because I originally planned on bringing a group of friends to Nashville to catch the game. That's not going to happen now. Stupid Globtrotters gave Chicago two good game days back to back--Friday and Sunday, while we get the crappy Tuesday and Thursday. Then if this thing goes to 5 games, the SOBs get Saturday. Isn't that just dandy?

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
  #55
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Just so everyone understands, it's not just the tcap, it's the hour later AND the tcap that has many staying home tonight. One or the other and I don't think it's an issue, but both together and it becomes a problem. I know a lot of people that won't be there tonight because of it.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
  #56
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Basher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Murray KY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I dislike standardized testing as much as the next fool but the scores on these tests directly influence the way education policies are formed in the state. That means affecting curriculum, teachers, money given by the state...a lot of areas are affected by these test scores. Is it really more important that we have all these kids at a hockey game?

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:50 AM
  #57
MemphisMTLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
I dislike standardized testing as much as the next fool but the scores on these tests directly influence the way education policies are formed in the state. That means affecting curriculum, teachers, money given by the state...a lot of areas are affected by these test scores. Is it really more important that we have all these kids at a hockey game?
Well perhaps I am wrong in the assumption that the 'at-risk' students are usually not of the demographic that attends hockey games. I see nothing wrong with staying home to prepare your children for TCAP, but I don't think that is to blame for not selling out tonight. If people felt like we had a chance of advancing to round 2, they'd probably show up.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:51 AM
  #58
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,727
vCash: 500
Screw the kids education, this is playoff hockey we're talking about

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
  #59
Webersmashpuck
Registered User
 
Webersmashpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spring Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
I guess I can go ahead and out myself as living 45 minutes away from Nashville and not going. I have to work on weekdays and that ruins everything. I wish there was at least 1 weekend game I could have gone to.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:16 AM
  #60
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
I dislike standardized testing as much as the next fool but the scores on these tests directly influence the way education policies are formed in the state. That means affecting curriculum, teachers, money given by the state...a lot of areas are affected by these test scores. Is it really more important that we have all these kids at a hockey game?
Did anybody stay home because they were filling out the Census? That was kind of important too.....

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:23 AM
  #61
66Falconboy
Registered User
 
66Falconboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Anyone know how the Thursday game is tracking, since there are no tests Friday?

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:30 AM
  #62
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
I really think the TCAP is an excuse. No one preps their kids for it. and that is fine.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
  #63
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,903
vCash: 500
Why is the game starting late anyway?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
  #64
Drake744
@imdrakesmith
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,234
vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
It's not like the NHL helped out with that stupid 8PM start time, why not just start the game at 9 or 10 or midnight. The 2 teams are in the Central Time zone yet get Pacific start times
Half of the teams in the league have 7:30 local start times anyway so having a game at 8 shouldn't matter.

This isn't a Monday night game in December against Edmonton. It's a playoff game. I don't care if it's TCAP week in schools because there should be enough hockey fans that actually want to go to the game. If we are relying on little factors like what the public schools are doing the next day or the fact that the game starts 30 minutes later than a half the teams normally do then we are in serious trouble. It's a joke in the first place that we even have 10 dollar tickets available. We should have no tickets available. I bet there are a decent amount of people who DID come down from Chicago because they don't care what they're doing tomorrow. They probably think it's awesome that their first round series is so close to them so they CAN go get tickets and come to the game. There are probably more people in Chicago willing to come 8 hours to this game than there are in Nashville willing to go 30 minutes. It's pretty awesome to see a real sports city in action once in awhile. And don't get all defensive because I said Nashville isn't a real sports city. It's not.


Last edited by Drake744: 04-20-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
  #65
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Why is the game starting late anyway?
Joined in Progress TV scheduling...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
  #66
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Half of the teams in the league have 7:30 local start times anyway so having a game at 8 shouldn't matter.

This isn't a Monday night game in December against Edmonton. It's a playoff game. I don't care if it's TCAP week in schools because there should be enough hockey fans that actually want to go to the game. If we are relying on little factors like what the public schools are doing the next day or the fact that the game starts 30 minutes later than a half the teams normally do then we are in serious trouble. It's a joke in the first place that we even have 10 dollar tickets available. We should have no tickets available. I bet there are a decent amount of people who DID come down from Chicago because they don't care what they're doing tomorrow. They probably think it's awesome that their first round series is so close to them so they CAN go get tickets and come to the game. Because there are probably more people in Chicago willing to come 8 hours to this game than there are in Nashville willing to go 30 minutes. It's pretty awesome to see a real sports city in action once in awhile.
I know several people that were in Chicago for Games 1 & 2, one group flew and had a great time...the other drove 14 hours and it seriously impacted their experience, although they'd do it again to watch playoff hockey...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
  #67
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,325
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Half of the teams in the league have 7:30 local start times anyway so having a game at 8 shouldn't matter.

This isn't a Monday night game in December against Edmonton. It's a playoff game. I don't care if it's TCAP week in schools because there should be enough hockey fans that actually want to go to the game. If we are relying on little factors like what the public schools are doing the next day or the fact that the game starts 30 minutes later than a half the teams normally do then we are in serious trouble. It's a joke in the first place that we even have 10 dollar tickets available. We should have no tickets available. I bet there are a decent amount of people who DID come down from Chicago because they don't care what they're doing tomorrow. They probably think it's awesome that their first round series is so close to them so they CAN go get tickets and come to the game. There are probably more people in Chicago willing to come 8 hours to this game than there are in Nashville willing to go 30 minutes. It's pretty awesome to see a real sports city in action once in awhile. And don't get all defensive because I said Nashville isn't a real sports city. It's not.
apples to oranges. Chicago metro is what, 3 or 4 million? Nashville is 600K.

dont give me that "not a real sports city" crap.

the fact that we may or may not sell out an individual home playoff game is not an indictment of the community as a 'sports town" a whole.

failing to hit 14k, when the survival of the team depends on it, or never ever selling out a playoff game would make your point a lot better...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
  #68
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Half of the teams in the league have 7:30 local start times anyway so having a game at 8 shouldn't matter.

This isn't a Monday night game in December against Edmonton. It's a playoff game. I don't care if it's TCAP week in schools because there should be enough hockey fans that actually want to go to the game. If we are relying on little factors like what the public schools are doing the next day or the fact that the game starts 30 minutes later than a half the teams normally do then we are in serious trouble. It's a joke in the first place that we even have 10 dollar tickets available. We should have no tickets available. I bet there are a decent amount of people who DID come down from Chicago because they don't care what they're doing tomorrow. They probably think it's awesome that their first round series is so close to them so they CAN go get tickets and come to the game. There are probably more people in Chicago willing to come 8 hours to this game than there are in Nashville willing to go 30 minutes. It's pretty awesome to see a real sports city in action once in awhile. And don't get all defensive because I said Nashville isn't a real sports city. It's not.
You know , I bet that 90% of the people that are spewing this kind of ridiculous nonsense...........DON'T HAVE KIDS OF SCHOOL AGE.

You are not being realistic. There are a lot of kids at every game. Families are everywhere.
My "kid" is 28, but when she was growing up and going to school--- it does impact what you do as a family.

It's an hour later start. That affects people that live farther away---and kids.

All this , it's a joke, we're pathetic, we're not a sports city........... quit and listen to the people on here that have kids.

and the $10 tickets. Get real........... a lot of teams discount a certain # of tickets on game day. Pittsburgh has done it for years.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
  #69
jstreet
Sad McDavid
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Is Sad.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,514
vCash: 50
1. We could only sell 13,000 tickets and still have a better atmosphere than Chicago.

2. But we wont get credit for it from the start because we dont jump up and down on our seats like zoo monkeys during the national anthem.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
  #70
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I really think the TCAP is an excuse. No one preps their kids for it. and that is fine.
Wrong. I'll be there but my family isn't going tonight solely because of TCAP and the late start. I know at least 3 other families that aren't/can't. It isn't prep time- it's getting them into bed after 11 pm to get up at 6 am. TCAP is done Thursday and mine will be there Thursday night. That's just the way it is.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:09 PM
  #71
Drake744
@imdrakesmith
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,234
vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
apples to oranges. Chicago metro is what, 3 or 4 million? Nashville is 600K.

dont give me that "not a real sports city" crap.

the fact that we may or may not sell out an individual home game is not an indictment of the community as a whole.

failing to hit 14k, when the survival of the team depends on it, or never ever selling out a playoff game would make your point a lot better...
Chicagoland is over 9 million. We are like 1.5 or something. I don't care about that because I bring that argument up all the time regarding ticket sales but a playoff game is a different story. It's not a real sports city because there aren't many of them. It's common knowledge that Chicago is possibly the best one, so I'm not trying to match up with them at all, just laying it out there, and I haven't just started saying this in the last two days either.

Point being as someone who has gone to the games since 98 and lives for the playoff atmosphere, it's offensive that this is even a cause of conversation. I'm just furious that people are actually justifying not going to a playoff game because it starts at 8. As was said in the original post, are we really that fragile?

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:10 PM
  #72
66Falconboy
Registered User
 
66Falconboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
My guess is that the Preds will discount all remaining (possibly only upper bowl) tix to $10 a couple of hours before the game.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
  #73
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Falconboy View Post
My guess is that the Preds will discount all remaining (possibly only upper bowl) tix to $10 a couple of hours before the game.
No they won't, but they should be selling large blocks of tickets at a discount to businesses and groups that have supported them throughout the season...

The $10 tickets are limited to 100 first-come, first-served on game days at the box office.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM
  #74
Drake744
@imdrakesmith
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,234
vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
You know , I bet that 90% of the people that are spewing this kind of ridiculous nonsense...........DON'T HAVE KIDS OF SCHOOL AGE.

You are not being realistic. There are a lot of kids at every game. Families are everywhere.
My "kid" is 28, but when she was growing up and going to school--- it does impact what you do as a family.

It's an hour later start. That affects people that live farther away---and kids.

All this , it's a joke, we're pathetic, we're not a sports city........... quit and listen to the people on here that have kids.

and the $10 tickets. Get real........... a lot of teams discount a certain # of tickets on game day. Pittsburgh has done it for years.
I understand the fact that some people have kids. That's great. Is our fanbase really that small? A Titans game would not be affected by this. If the Titans were on Sunday or Monday night football at 8pm there would be no shortage of kids at all. I know we aren't the Titans and I never expect to be, but we ARE in a scenario of national and local prominence right now. As someone who is born and raised here, I feel like I can be upset at my home city for not selling out (yet). Maybe this is another indication of how hurt we are by various factors. Economy, lack of corporate ticket sales, small market size, whatever. As someone who has been die hard since day 1, and puts so much time and energy devoted to the team and who lives for the playoffs and the atmosphere it brings, I guess it's a tough realization that our fan base isn't big enough to support the team when certain things aren't going perfectly. Such as a TCAP test or a 8pm start time. When I'm out of town and talking to other hockey fans I represent Nashville and our fans to the fullest all the time, but that doesn't mean everything is flowing smoothly here either.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
  #75
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 500
Over the past two playoff series, the team has averaged around 16.4-16.5 in paid attendance for weekday games. As of 36 hours before the game, the reported level was in the 15k range. That means the team was about 1000 short (paid) of where it was for the first home game against the Wings in 07-08.

But, thank you for everyone telling people how to parent, what to spend their money on, and how to prioritize their family's activities.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.