HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "A" Word Returns ...

Old
04-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Nitrous Mafia

vCash: 500
where do you guys get numbers for sold tickets before the game? know what I'm asking?

Nitrous Mafia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Chicagoland is over 9 million. We are like 1.5 or something. I don't care about that because I bring that argument up all the time regarding ticket sales but a playoff game is a different story. It's not a real sports city because there aren't many of them. It's common knowledge that Chicago is possibly the best one, so I'm not trying to match up with them at all, just laying it out there, and I haven't just started saying this in the last two days either.

Point being as someone who has gone to the games since 98 and lives for the playoff atmosphere, it's offensive that this is even a cause of conversation. I'm just furious that people are actually justifying not going to a playoff game because it starts at 8. As was said in the original post, are we really that fragile?
why are you offended that anyone has a legitimate reason not to attend? whether its finances, or timing, or whatever, each individual is entitled to decide whether they can attend a certain game or not. unfortunately, not everyone is a diehard.

But I still think this is all much ado about nothing. i think we will have an announced sellout, though possibly with greater than 1000 comps.

the house will be rocking, even if there are a few empty seats.

It doesnt mean this isnt a sports town.

Just chill.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
where do you guys get numbers for sold tickets before the game? know what I'm asking?
Glennon provided an update yesterday and was supposed to have one today as well. I did a search on ticketmaster and the cheapest tickets are sold out, the next price range (46$) still have some available.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I understand the fact that some people have kids. That's great. Is our fanbase really that small? A Titans game would not be affected by this. If the Titans were on Sunday or Monday night football at 8pm there would be no shortage of kids at all. I know we aren't the Titans and I never expect to be, but we ARE in a scenario of national and local prominence right now. As someone who is born and raised here, I feel like I can be upset at my home city for not selling out (yet). Maybe this is another indication of how hurt we are by various factors. Economy, lack of corporate ticket sales, small market size, whatever. As someone who has been die hard since day 1, and puts so much time and energy devoted to the team and who lives for the playoffs and the atmosphere it brings, I guess it's a tough realization that our fan base isn't big enough to support the team when certain things aren't going perfectly. Such as a TCAP test or a 8pm start time. When I'm out of town and talking to other hockey fans I represent Nashville and our fans to the fullest all the time, but that doesn't mean everything is flowing smoothly here either.
I can say as a parent of a kid who is currently taking the TCAPs there's no way I'd have my kid out until 11-12 the night before testing just to watch a hockey game or Monday night football, entertainment is no where near that important, ever.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I can say as a parent of a kid who is currently taking the TCAPs there's no way I'd have my kid out until 11-12 the night before testing just to watch a hockey game or Monday night football, entertainment is no where near that important, ever.
I didn't say you should let your kids out and go to the game, I was stating my frustration that the fan base is so small that we may not sell out because the kids have a standardized test in school the next morning. The Titans fan base is big enough for example to still have kids there, right thing to do or not. Also I guess I know it's petty but if there are in fact tickets left and we are seen as a team that couldn't sell out a playoff game, good luck justifying that to people around the league because the kids had tests the next morning. I'm sure on the Associated Press game recap there won't be a sidenote at the bottom which reads "Nashville failed to sell out a playoff game for the third time in franchise history. But it's cool because the state of Tennessee has kids taking a test in the morning, so they get a pass." I just have a hard time seeing another team having this problem. Oh well it is what it is it'll still be a great atmosphere regardless.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
MemphisMTLfan

I will state it again--I see no problem with people not attending because of TCAP, but I believe that group is not large enough to greatly impact ticket sales. You can't blame TCAP for not selling out--especially when parents are saying that it's not because of test prep, but because they don't want their kids out late. That is an issue for the entire hockey season for weekday games. Many families choose to only attend Friday/Saturday games for that exact reason so this is nothing new. There are other factors for the inability to sell out.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I didn't say you should let your kids out and go to the game, I was stating my frustration that the fan base is so small that we may not sell out because the kids have a standardized test in school the next morning. The Titans fan base is big enough for example to still have kids there, right thing to do or not. Also I guess I know it's petty but if there are in fact tickets left and we are seen as a team that couldn't sell out a playoff game, good luck justifying that to people around the league because the kids had tests the next morning. I'm sure on the Associated Press game recap there won't be a sidenote at the bottom which reads "Nashville failed to sell out a playoff game for the third time in franchise history. But it's cool because the state of Tennessee has kids taking a test in the morning, so they get a pass." I just have a hard time seeing another team having this problem. Oh well it is what it is it'll still be a great atmosphere regardless.
OK, I get that... but the truth is we dont have to care what the canadian media or the rest of the league thinks. We hit 14K in attendance again this year, and so we are staying put. Given the economy I would put much more weight on that in determining if this city supports this team than attendance for a single playoff game.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
With the way they have been selling, my guess is around 1500 right now. We'll get some walkup, so it'll be under 1000 unsold by game time I reckon.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
This is where I call bs ... most of these kids that go to games, I would imagine go to institutions of higher learning ... Montgomery Bell Academy, Franklin Road Academy, Battle Ground Academy, Overbrook, etc, etc, etc
FWIW - as one of those parents with a kid - in public schools, not one of those listed above - he will not be attending tonight, although he will Thurs. Simple reason - when he goes during the season during the week, it's past 11 before he's in bed and he's on a bus at 6:25. Might be OK for a Thurs night season game, not OK for a Tues night, later start, during TCAPs.

Talked to a few friends who attend regularly - same thing, kids are staying home.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
We hit 14K in attendance again this year
Yep. This is my thinking, we made it so we're safe for now. I wish we had the numbers that other large markets do but we don't. Something we gotta live with.

Nitrous Mafia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
OK, I get that... but the truth is we dont have to care what the canadian media or the rest of the league thinks. We hit 14K in attendance again this year, and so we are staying put. Given the economy I would put much more weight on that in determining if this city supports this team than attendance for a single playoff game.
Which I why I suggest that we quit making excuses and accept how things are. We're working with a smaller population and there are fans who just don't get excited about first rounds anymore. We make more noise than anyone, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Old
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would just make my kid suck it up. TCAP testing is a joke anyway.
I'll remind you of that in a few more years....

Old
04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

What does the TCAP actually do anyway? I took them growing up and all I know is that the school is graded or something. Does it have any effect on the student?

Old
04-20-2010, 03:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It's on their permanent school records. I know magnets schools use them for enrollment. The state uses them to grade the schools. It lets parents know where their children are compared to their peers in the state, more so than just progress report cards.

I mean I guess, if you don’t mind your kids records having lower test scores because you thought a hockey game was more important, then you shouldn’t really worry about it. I mean, lower test scores you can explain to Canadian fans’ but not selling out, whew, that’s criminal

Old
04-20-2010, 03:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
What does the TCAP actually do anyway? I took them growing up and all I know is that the school is graded or something. Does it have any effect on the student?
Having spent a good amount of time as a teacher, I can tell you that most of the "importance" of TCAPs are passed down from the school to the teacher, and then the teacher to the parent. A lot of teachers worry that poor TCAP\standardized testing in general will reflect poorly on them or the job they're doing, so they drill it home to the parents. The school's incentive is similar...bad TCAPs, "bad school." Some teachers will claim that it's used for class placements, things of that nature...absolutely untrue. It has no bearing on the individual student whatsoever, no matter what anyone will try to tell you. In fact, at the time I left teaching, it was a quiet fact that the TCAPs aren't even mandatory...if a student\parent refuses to take them, they can't be forced or penalized.

It's true that some things like state funding, "at risk" status, etc can be affected by TCAP status, it's not the sort of thing that happens after a year of bad results. There are a lot of other factors involved.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
It's on their permanent school records. I know magnets schools use them for enrollment. The state uses them to grade the schools. It lets parents know where their children are compared to their peers in the state, more so than just progress report cards.

I mean I guess, if you don’t mind your kids records having lower test scores because you thought a hockey game was more important, then you shouldn’t really worry about it. I mean, lower test scores you can explain to Canadian fans’ but not selling out, whew, that’s criminal
I'm just curious I'm 25 and took them growing up recently and when it was brought up to me about what point they serve on the students themselves I was like wow I really have no idea. All I knew was that it was something I looked forward to because we didn't have to have a lesson that day. I don't recall ever needing my TCAP scores for anything, I don't think. I mean I just got the results back and would see that I sucked in math and science and was good in social studies. That's all I got from it so I had to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Having spent a good amount of time as a teacher, I can tell you that most of the "importance" of TCAPs are passed down from the school to the teacher, and then the teacher to the parent. A lot of teachers worry that poor TCAP\standardized testing in general will reflect poorly on them or the job they're doing, so they drill it home to the parents. The school's incentive is similar...bad TCAPs, "bad school." Some teachers will claim that it's used for class placements, things of that nature...absolutely untrue. It has no bearing on the individual student whatsoever, no matter what anyone will try to tell you. In fact, at the time I left teaching, it was a quiet fact that the TCAPs aren't even mandatory...if a student\parent refuses to take them, they can't be forced or penalized.

It's true that some things like state funding, "at risk" status, etc can be affected by TCAP status, it's not the sort of thing that happens after a year of bad results. There are a lot of other factors involved.
Thanks that makes sense. It seems like the only reason we hear about TCAP scores are when they talk about good or bad schools in general. It's not like it's the SAT or ACT and this 8 year old kid's academic future is scarred forever because he didn't do well on the test.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

I mean I guess, if you donít mind your kids records having lower test scores because you thought a hockey game was more important, then you shouldnít really worry about it. I mean, lower test scores you can explain to Canadian fansí but not selling out, whew, thatís criminal
I can't say for certain what the law is in TN, but in the state i taught in, using a standardized test as criteria for admission into a public school (which magnet and charter are) was pretty squarely against the law. I'll have to check on it to be sure, but I'd be surprised if that was in play. It's not uncommon for a private school to have an entrance\placement exam, but I haven't heard of a single one looking at TCAP or CAT scores.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I found my answer, trig is correct. Three separate magnet schools I looked into had an 80th percentile TCAP requirement in their enrollment criteria. I'm surprised that it could be such a huge no-no in one state but allowed in another, but I stand corrected.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I can't say for certain what the law is in TN, but in the state i taught in, using a standardized test as criteria for admission into a public school (which magnet and charter are) was pretty squarely against the law. I'll have to check on it to be sure, but I'd be surprised if that was in play. It's not uncommon for a private school to have an entrance\placement exam, but I haven't heard of a single one looking at TCAP or CAT scores.
Marketing missed a promo opportunity.

TCAP Night. No band or stupid bed race between periods. Dead silence while kids take their TCAPs in the stands in specifically designated sections, supervised by teachers. Use electonic scoring and show the Top Ten scores on the MegaTron. Schools with the best scores get a donation from the Pred foundation. Have one stunt kid in a Hawks jersey taking the test while Gnash sneaks up behind him with a pie.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:20 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:

I mean I guess, if you donít mind your kids records having lower test scores because you thought a hockey game was more important, then you shouldnít really worry about it. I mean, lower test scores you can explain to Canadian fansí but not selling out, whew, thatís criminal
I consistently scored 96th percentile and above on those tests with little to no effort. Anyone of average to above average intelligence can do the same. The only ones scoring low are at-risk students, hardly the demographic attending hockey games.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
token grinder

A TCAP never held a kid back. If all these kids were taking SAT or ACT's and held importance in life i would understand it. I alway's viewed the TCAP as a free of class week.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
jstreet

any word on the ticket count as of now? someone is asking me, where do I get this kind of info.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
When I was in school back in Connecticut we took the CAPT tests every year. In high school you had to take all five portions of the test your first three years and had the option of taking any you didn't pass in your senior year. If you passed all five you got a special sticker on your diploma that was supposed to count big in terms of college enrollment...

I passed four of the five tests every year through my junior year. As a senior I took the one test (writing) that I couldn't seem to pass. Despite the teachers grading our pre-exam tests passing me with flying colors (which happened every year prior too), I failed the writing portion of the test. Funny part was that I was taking AP English, had written articles for multiple online publications, and was paid to write HS sports for the New Haven Register at the time...none of the teachers or school administration could figure out why I was failed except to simply say that my writing style was different than what they were looking for...

Therefore, based on my experience with standardized testing, I don't have any problem with parents making decisions for their families, but I also don't like the idea of standardized testing due to the fact that it tries to fit everyone into a little box and leads to months of teachers teaching the tests rather than teaching students decision-making skills and viable subject material...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 04-20-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: i'm tired, about to take a pre-game nap...
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
A TCAP never held a kid back. If all these kids were taking SAT or ACT's and held importance in life i would understand it. I alway's viewed the TCAP as a free of class week.
Yup. That's how I feel. The school is more worried about it than the students ever should be. Free class week and the fact that I already knew that I sucked in math and science.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Yup. That's how I feel. The school is more worried about it than the students ever should be. Free class week and the fact that I already knew that I sucked in math and science.
It's the slippery slope...

Testing companies get states to buy their tests, states apply pressure to the counties to get the highest percentage possible of their students scoring as high as possible, the counties apply that pressure to the schools, the schools turn around and apply that pressure to the teachers, the teachers apply that pressure to the parents and students, then on top of it all, the parents apply pressure on the kids to perform so that everyone else is happy...

The lower you are on that slope, the more pressure you are under because ultimately there is nowhere else to alleviate the pressure...

Did I say that I hate standardized testing yet?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote