HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "A" Word Returns ...

Old
04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
I consistently scored 96th percentile and above on those tests with little to no effort. Anyone of average to above average intelligence can do the same. The only ones scoring low are at-risk students, hardly the demographic attending hockey games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
A TCAP never held a kid back. If all these kids were taking SAT or ACT's and held importance in life i would understand it. I alway's viewed the TCAP as a free of class week.
And my daughter is in a magnet school now because of her test scores. You guys can act like these test don't mean anything, but they do.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
And my daughter is in a magnet school now because of her test scores. You guys can act like these test don't mean anything, but they do.
That's fine, but I went to Mt. Juliet Elementary, Jr. High, and High School so I was public school all the way. I had a pretty good ACT score and went from there and I don't credit the TCAP (or Tcrap as we would call it) for anything. It's basically common sense and generic school knowledge. It's a test with no repercussions. Well, report card repercussions anyway.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Let me rephrase my opinion then:

If you are trying to get your kid into a magnet school, fine great. i would probably stay home and help my kid prep for the test.

But how many parents are really doing that? Not enough to really affect attandance at a hockey game.

If you want to know the real problem with attendance, it isn't TCAP, it isn't the 8 o'clock start time. It is the ticket prices. You know they are high when scalpers are *****ing about them being too high. Heck My seat in the reg season is 20 bucks. Playoff price was 22. Gate is 39. There is your main problem.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not saying the TCAP is the only problem it just makes me mad they didn't even consider that when they moved this hockey game. I know a lot of school age kids would have like to go and experience the playoff hockey game but the 8:00 PM start makes that impossible.

Old
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I'm not saying the TCAP is the only problem it just makes me mad they didn't even consider that when they moved this hockey game. I know a lot of school age kids would have like to go and experience the playoff hockey game but the 8:00 PM start makes that impossible.
Unfortunately all the team could do was submit open dates, they didn't get to pick the game time...that's all TV related...and sucks because they aren't caring how it affects the local market, but instead are focused nationally and internationally...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Versus and the NHL would laugh in our faces so hard if we asked for them to consider the fact that students have standardized testing the morning after Game 3 when making the TV schedule.

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

so, um.... is this thread considered officially "jacked" now??

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Nitrous Mafia

yeah, too much tcap talk.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Back on track.....go to the game tonight. Getting out at 10:30 isn't the end of the world, considering how you've just seen an NHL playoff game. And if you aren't out at 10:30 that means we're in overtime which is awesome.

Old
04-20-2010, 05:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Unfortunately all the team could do was submit open dates, they didn't get to pick the game time...that's all TV related...and sucks because they aren't caring how it affects the local market, but instead are focused nationally and internationally...
I understand the reasoning doesn't make it suck any less though.

It's not like NHL fans watch Nashville anyway, they all think we're a trapping team. Half think we still have Vokoun...

Last edited by triggrman: 04-20-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Sadly, I have to be the voice of reason being so far away.

1) The TCAP is a cop out unless you are trying to get your kid into Harvard.

2) The cost is a slight problem, the real issue is the fact that currently in Nashville 17% of the population is living at or below the poverty line. This isn't Detroit we are talking about, we are talking about Nashville.

3) Nashville is the media's *****. Ottawa and Detroit had empties and no one is making comment. This is a common fact. The media is putting pressure on us when the rest of the world is screwed too. How about the NBA who is hurting a hell of a lot worst than this? MLB with teams playing to 66.9% capacity at team #15 to 33.7% capacity for the last place team.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

This is an economic issue not a Nashville issue.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Sadly, I have to be the voice of reason being so far away.

1) The TCAP is a cop out unless you are trying to get your kid into Harvard.

2) The cost is a slight problem, the real issue is the fact that currently in Nashville 17% of the population is living at or below the poverty line. This isn't Detroit we are talking about, we are talking about Nashville.

3) Nashville is the media's *****. Ottawa and Detroit had empties and no one is making comment. This is a common fact. The media is putting pressure on us when the rest of the world is screwed too. How about the NBA who is hurting a hell of a lot worst than this? MLB with teams playing to 66.9% capacity at team #15 to 33.7% capacity for the last place team.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

This is an economic issue not a Nashville issue.
LA didn't sell out last night either and I believe it was their first trip to the playoffs since what? 02 maybe?

Old
04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
LA didn't sell out last night either and I believe it was their first trip to the playoffs since what? 02 maybe?
Look at the leagues are economically FUBARed. The NBA is talking contraction. The NFL, the friggin NFL, is talking about relocation. MLB is operating at a liberal estimate of 80% capacity. Hell the Yankees are at 85%. You got MLB teams selling 33.7%, Where is the outcry on that one? How many of THOSE are comps?

The NHL is looking pretty damn good compared to their brethern. As for Nashville. The Tuesday date sucks but they will be 100 short of sellout by my estimation. I'm not worried.

Old
04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Look at the leagues are economically FUBARed. The NBA is talking contraction. The NFL, the friggin NFL, is talking about relocation. MLB is operating at a liberal estimate of 80% capacity. Hell the Yankees are at 85%. You got MLB teams selling 33.7%, Where is the outcry on that one? How many of THOSE are comps?

The NHL is looking pretty damn good compared to their brethern. As for Nashville. The Tuesday date sucks but they will be 100 short of sellout by my estimation. I'm not worried.
Baseball isn't a good thing to compare at this point in the season. Too many kids still in school. When summer vacation hits, attendance goes up. No one cares about games this early in the season.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Baseball isn't a good thing to compare at this point in the season. Too many kids still in school. When summer vacation hits, attendance goes up. No one cares about games this early in the season.
And that excuse is being used for hockey and the early games. Maybe it's time for league to start contracting games instead of teams.

Old
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
LA sold out.

Teams that have hosted two games:
Phoenix - 17,256 (100.7%)
Pittsburgh - 17,132 (101.1%)
San Jose - 17,562 (100%)
New Jersey - 17,625 (100%)
Washington - 18,377 (100.5%)
Buffalo - 18,690 (100%)
Vancouver - 18,810 (100%)
Chicago - 22,207 (112%)

Teams that have hosted one game:
Montreal - 21,273 (100%)
Ottawa - 20,119 (105%)
Detroit - 20,066 (100%)
Colorado - 18,007 (100%)
Philadelphia - 19,957 (102.2%)
Los Angeles - 18,264 (100.8%)
Boston - 17,565 (100%)

Note that that's only against seating capacity. Ottawa and Chicago for certain sell SRO tickets for the playoffs. One would suspect most teams do.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 04-20-2010 at 06:53 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:29 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
And that excuse is being used for hockey and the early games. Maybe it's time for league to start contracting games instead of teams.
Bingo. We have a winner. Less games in all seasons would make all games that much more important. Would mean better games throughout the year. Would also draw more interest because of less games. It becomes the hot ticket again. I'd like a 64 game schedule in hockey to be honest.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 06:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Bingo. We have a winner. Less games in all seasons would make all games that much more important. Would mean better games throughout the year. Would also draw more interest because of less games. It becomes the hot ticket again. I'd like a 64 game schedule in hockey to be honest.
I could see 120's for Baseball and 70's for Hockey. There are games being played for the sake of being played.....(And to line the owner's and player's pockets)

Old
04-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
LA sold out. The only team that hasn't averaged capacity crowds for its playoff games is Colorado at 94%.
I just got it from the ESPN box score. It had LA at 98.7% full and Colorado at 100.

Quote:
I do. I'm a Padres fan, April is my pride and joy.

Old
04-20-2010, 06:47 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I would love some simple common sense rules when it comes to sports scheduling:

Baseball starts in May, Ends when the kids go to school in September.

Hockey starts in October and frankly the cup should be given out in May

Football Start in September, ends in January.

Basketball is in the wrong damned season. Basketball should be more of a summer sport. You play hockey in the winter and Basketball in the summer.

Old
04-20-2010, 06:53 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I just got it from the ESPN box score. It had LA at 98.7% full and Colorado at 100.
I got mine from the NHL's box scores. The league also lists attendance on the game-by-game subsection of its statistics pages.

I also made a mistake in my previous post: you're right, Colorado did, in fact, sell out their first and only playoff home game thus far, but so did Los Angeles. ESPN might be using the basketball capacity for the Staples Center.

This makes it even worse if we don't sell out Game 3, because we would be the first team not to have a capacity crowd for a home playoff game.

Old
04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Well you also have to consider the fact that they can just stay home and watch it on tv.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
Well you also have to consider the fact that they can just stay home and watch it on tv.
Not if the game is blacked out.

Old
04-20-2010, 07:07 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Not if the game is blacked out.
Yea, I thought it would be blacked out, wasn't sure.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 07:12 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8000
the problem for me was strictly financial. Fortunately I had a friend with an extra ticket!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote