HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room II (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
ATD Chat Room II (all non-ATD topics here)

Old one hit 1000

I think I have an Olympic hangover when it comes to the playoffs. I found the Olympic Hockey very exciting and the playoffs so far, particularly the Vancouver-LA series, haven't been particularly compelling to me. I just don't feel excited anymore (as much as I want to feel excited)

Last edited by Hedberg: 05-27-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old
04-20-2010, 03:41 AM
seventieslord

wow, the old chat room made it to 1000! It was a long time coming.

Old
04-20-2010, 04:45 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The chat room made it to 1000?

You guys talk too much.

Old
04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
jarek

Jordan Staal is FINALLY getting Selke consideration.

Old
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
...and that, I applaud.

His skills package is so impressive. Is he an Eric clone with just a slightly tweaked offense/defense ratio, stuck on a 3rd line? He just might be.

Old
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
...and that, I applaud.

His skills package is so impressive. Is he an Eric clone with just a slightly tweaked offense/defense ratio, stuck on a 3rd line? He just might be.
One of these days he's going to be an elite checking center/winger for an ATD team. The fact that he's capable of C or W is insane.

Old
04-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I was here!

Old
04-20-2010, 01:56 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
he's 21 *beep* years old!

"finally" my *beep*

Old
04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
he's 21 *beep* years old!

"finally" my *beep*
So what if he's 21? In my mind, ever since he came into the league, he's been the best PKer and likely best pure defensive player as well.

Old
04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I always thought the same thing, until someone pointed out that the kicking rule is there because they don't want a bunch of guys in a goalmouth scrum kicking each other with skates on. I can definitely imagine a goalies getting their hands stopped on while trying to smother the puck. It's more of a safety thing than a competition thing.
That's why the rule should be changed to "skate on or off the ice." If you keep the skate blade on the ice, who cares if you make what looks like a kicking motion?

Possible Homer Alert:
I really think Travis Zajac should have been a Selke finalist. The Selke is largely a reputation award, and he hasn't built up the rep over the years that Kesler or Datsyuk has, nor from last year's playoffs like Staal.

But the Devils just won the Jennings with a terrible group of defensemen. Brodeur was a huge part, but it wasn't all him.

Old
04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Brodeur was a huge part, but it wasn't all him.
Don't let the 15-year old Devils fans hear you say that!

Old
04-20-2010, 09:03 PM
seventieslord

Wow, how about that whirling dervish Sidney Crosby controlling the puck down low? Seems he found something that worked and decided to milk it for all it's worth... reminds me of when I learned the toe drag.

What are your thoughts on this? He's done it a few times now. It was the assist of the year when he did it the first time, but the other times were frutless. Is he creating chances, or wasting energy?

Old
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
jarek

Definitely creating chances. Nothing Crosby does is really wasting energy at all, because most of the time when he gets on a roll like that, the puck goes in more often than not.

Old
04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
when i hear whirling dervish i think of wally stanwoski

Old
04-20-2010, 11:26 PM
jarek

Wow. Another first round exit for New Jersey (I don't think they're coming back from that one). I think they need to seriously consider starting the search for a goaltender to replace Brodeur. I think he's slowing down. Brodeur next season should play no more than 50-60 games. He just doesn't have it to play 70+ anymore, I don't think. TDMM can probably answer this best, are there any decent goalies in the farm? If not, this situation looks grim for NJ.

I wonder if Nicklas Backstrom from Minnesota is available? His best success was under Lemaire, so I wonder if that re-union is possible. New Jersey certainly has the assets to land him, especially after last season, and Harding looks like he might be ready to make the jump.

Old
04-20-2010, 11:32 PM
hungryhungryhippy

rofl... and to think of what they gave up for 2 weeks of Kovalchuk in the playoffs

Old
04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Wow. Another first round exit for New Jersey (I don't think they're coming back from that one). I think they need to seriously consider starting the search for a goaltender to replace Brodeur. I think he's slowing down. Brodeur next season should play no more than 50-60 games. He just doesn't have it to play 70+ anymore, I don't think. TDMM can probably answer this best, are there any decent goalies in the farm? If not, this situation looks grim for NJ.

I wonder if Nicklas Backstrom from Minnesota is available? His best success was under Lemaire, so I wonder if that re-union is possible. New Jersey certainly has the assets to land him, especially after last season, and Harding looks like he might be ready to make the jump.
I think Brodeur's mental exhaustion in the third period of Game 4 had more to do with the fact that the Flyers controlled play for 90% of games 3 and 4 (after controlling it for the majority of games 1 and 2).

Brodeur was great this year (except in February) and probably has another year or two left in him. That said, assuming the Devils continue playing the way they have in 2010, they'll bow out meekly in 5. Least pissed I've ever been to lose in the playoffs. It was coming.

If I'm Lou, I sit down with Brodeur after the season and ask him if he wants to be traded or if he wants to stay around for the rebuild.

If Lemaire is coach next year and the Devils don't do a major rebuild of their defensemen, I'm going to watch the team from a distance next year - still interested but not expecting anything.

Old
04-20-2010, 11:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
rofl... and to think of what they gave up for 2 weeks of Kovalchuk in the playoffs
I wouldn't be laughing too hard, Vancouver fan. The way things are going in the West, Luongo will be joining Brodeur on the golf course a few days later.

They really didn't give up much for Kovalchuk. Oduya was a decent Top 4 dman, but theoretically replacable (the problem is that he wasn't replaced before the playoffs).

Old
04-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Why would New Jersey spend 6 million on Backstrom and 5.2 million on Brodeur? It may make sense in 3 years when Brodeur retires (although at that point Lemaire will probably be gone too). The best situations for New Jersey is to find a competent backup to play 20 games. Brodeur's not as good as he used to be, but he's still better than pretty much every other option.

There are no great goalie prospects in New Jersey's system at the moment, but when Brodeur retires, they'll need to replace him with an established star starter who can handle the pressure of replacing a legend, not a young guy.

Old
04-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I wouldn't be laughing too hard, Vancouver fan. The way things are going in the West, Luongo will be joining Brodeur on the golf course a few days later.
It's not so much that they're potentially out, it's that they gave up assets. The Canucks gave up pretty much nothing (a 3rd rounder) at the deadline.

Old
04-20-2010, 11:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
Why would New Jersey spend 6 million on Backstrom and 5.2 million on Brodeur? It may make sense in 3 years when Brodeur retires (although at that point Lemaire will probably be gone too). The best situations for New Jersey is to find a competent backup to play 20 games. Brodeur's not as good as he used to be, but he's still better than pretty much every other option.

There are no great goalie prospects in New Jersey's system at the moment, but when Brodeur retires, they'll need to replace him with an established star starter who can handle the pressure of replacing a legend, not a young guy.
I always assumed the plan was to sell the future until Brodeur retires. Then go into hardcore rebuild mode afterwards. Who knows though. If the Devils don't turn it around (and the way they've played this year, I'm pretty sure they won't), I want the roster blown up after this year.

Old
04-20-2010, 11:45 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think Brodeur's mental exhaustion in the third period of Game 4 had more to do with the fact that the Flyers controlled play for 90% of games 3 and 4 (after controlling it for the majority of games 1 and 2).

Brodeur was great this year (except in February) and probably has another year or two left in him. That said, assuming the Devils continue playing the way they have in 2010, they'll bow out meekly in 5. Least pissed I've ever been to lose in the playoffs. It was coming.

If I'm Lou, I sit down with Brodeur after the season and ask him if he wants to be traded or if he wants to stay around for the rebuild.

If Lemaire is coach next year and the Devils don't do a major rebuild of their defensemen, I'm going to watch the team from a distance next year - still interested but not expecting anything.
The Devils, rebuilding? Never thought I'd see that.. the guard is certainly changing.

Do they have someone in the system to replace Brodeur at all?

Old
04-20-2010, 11:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's not so much that they're potentially out, it's that they gave up assets. The Canucks gave up pretty much nothing (a 3rd rounder) at the deadline.
Oh, at the time I thought it was a huge mistake to go all out getting Kovalchuk, then doing absolutely nothing to fix the actual holes in the lineup (defense and center). Even a stiff like Eric Belanger who could win a faceoff once in awhile would have been worth it.

Old
04-20-2010, 11:47 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Devils, rebuilding? Never thought I'd see that.. the guard is certainly changing.
Every team has to do it once in awhile. Unless you want to be St. Louis and make the playoffs 20 years in a row, only to lose early each year.

Quote:
Do they have someone in the system to replace Brodeur at all?
Nope. And it's honestly the least of the concerns. I'm much more concerned with wasting the last few years of Brodeur by having him play behind a Swiss cheese defense.

Old
04-20-2010, 11:48 PM
jarek

Quote:

Well, the way I see it, Brodeur + stuff can be swapped for Backstrom. Backstrom maybe isn't as good as Brodeur, but he's far younger, and of the guys potentially available, Backstrom probably fits the Devils' system the best. Brodeur plays out the last couple years of his career in Minnesota, maybe makes the playoffs a couple times and helps Harding take the starter's reigns. Win, win for either team, IMO.

Closed Thread