HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taping my hockey blade

Old
04-20-2010, 11:46 PM
gogio57

vCash: 500
Taping my hockey blade

I just noticed that the tape on the bottom of my blade gets worn after 2 times being on the ice, do i have to change my tape that often or should i try to add extra tape to the bottom.

Also extra random question i have :

I just picked up a pro stock stick at an equipment sale will i get chirped for trying to use it even though im new?

Does febreeze work on hockey gear because my gloves already smell really bad

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Professor Dangles

tape it like cole.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:02 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler Status View Post
tape it like cole.
No, dont, unless you are made of money and dont mind replacing your stick very quickly.

It is very common to have to re-tape, I have to after every use. I put an extra strip of tape across the bottom with half it hanging off, then fold the extra half around the bottom to the back. Then I just tape my stick normally, helps with it some what.

Having to re-tape your stick regularly isn't really a bad thing, shows you are putting weight on your stick for shots or keeping your stick on the ice to take passes etc.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Hockeyfan68

I heat the tape up with a heat gun after I apply it and it is good for a few sessions regardless if the bottom wears off or not. I use white tape though ... sticks really good in comparison to black tape ... I think so anyhewdles.

Stinky gear .... wash it in the washing machine or hang it in the shower and rinse it out or if like gloves (don't get gloves wet by soaking in water) use a rubbing alcohol mixed with some water, even the 70% alcohol straight from the bottle is diluted enough. Kills bacteria .... Febreze does not kills bacteria and just masks odor. I spray mine with a 70% alcohol every few sessions and they have NO odor whatsoever even after a couple of years.

Look up Staph infection and then get rid of your febreze. I almost lost a leg to Staph when I was 11 (scraped knee on the playground), left a hole in my knee where important stuff used to be .... not good to not sanitize your stuff period.

Your gloves stink because the bacteria is giving off waste after eating your sweat and it stinks .... the same thing makes armpits and feet smell.

Oh for your shoes a teaspoon of baking soda in each shoe once a month or two will ward off smell by killing bacteria. I used to have terrible foot odor until I started doing this. I have never used it for gloves since white paste from sweating is a turn off for me lol.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-21-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:32 AM
gogio57

thanks hockeyfan68 im gonna go pick up some rubbing alcohol to spray my equipment, should i dilute it at all?

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:02 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

use wax on your tape.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogio57 View Post
thanks hockeyfan68 im gonna go pick up some rubbing alcohol to spray my equipment, should i dilute it at all?
Yes, definitely. I think about a 25% alcohol content is what you need, so if you get the 99% rubbing alcohol, do one part alcohol, three parts water. If you get the 70% alcohol, do one part alcohol, two parts water. The 70% alcohol is cheaper to buy, but you'll use more of it, so it's pretty much a wash.

Seriously, though, a few sprays of that mix, combined with making sure you ALWAYS air out your gear after you use it will do wonders with keeping away the funk (and possible infections, etc.) and will significantly extend the life of your equipment.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just to reiterate, make sure to pull all the equipment out of the bag and set it out to dry after every skate. The alcohol and water thing is solid, won't do much for the smell that's already there but it will kill the bacteria and prevent more smell.

I will soak all my gear in a bath tub with water and a cap full of laundry detergent with a scoop of oxyclean mixed in. I do that every few months to get everything smelling fresh. Just make sure to rinse it a couple times really well and it takes a couple days to dry everything out after.

As for taping, I usually retape after every time I play because it's fun and drives my girlfriend absolutely nuts.

And nobody worth playing with chirps anyone unless it's in good fun. I've only been chirped by one teammate in four years of playing as an adult, and I'm at least 50% sure it's good natured.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
noobman

I retape my stick about once a season. The next time I do a tape job I'll be sure to snap a picture of it... my sticks all look battle-worn

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogio57 View Post
If it is a 70% alcohol (already diluted) you do not need to. I buy a bottle and just put a sprayer handle thing on the top as they fit perfectly.

The absolute best thing to do is to air out your gear after playing but even that does not do much for gloves. I spread my junk out on the floor in my bedroom and run a fan for a few hours.

I wash what I can in the washing machine if it is machine washable. Some stuff gets hung up in the shower and I hose it down and let drip dry.

I know this stuff is being tedious and a little time consuming but not much. Also when you see Mark Stuart for the Bruins sitting on the sidelines after surgery to remove a bacteria infection from his hand caused by his gloves you make a note of it and do things like you should. he has Cellulitus https://health.google.com/health/ref/Cellulitis

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:16 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
What brand tape are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
use wax on your tape.
Melt it in also, you can "repair the tape" because the tape becomes waxy and you simply use a knife to pull the cut in the tape outwards then lay it flat back on your blade. I get up to 3 times the life out of tape by waxing it. Plus I get less snow buildup on the blade, which is a big deal.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote