Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doug Risebrough

Old
04-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Rschmitz

vCash: 500
Doug Risebrough

Hello, Lightning fan here. I've been hearing a lot of talk about Doug Risebrough being offered either the CEO or GM job of Tampa Bay. I haven't had much luck finding good information about him, but so far from what I've read there hasn't been too much good. Can you all give me a brief history of him and some information for a curious fan? Thanks

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:09 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
he sucks... idk why you guys would want him as your gm

WILDTATE10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
mnwildgophers

Doug did do a lot of good, but he is in large part responsible for us having the one of the worst if not the worst prospect pool. He was an excellent expansion GM. He was never very active at the deadline, and his departure was a welcome one. He liked to wait contracts out it seemed and tended to overpay, but I don't think he was as bad as everyone says. We just remember the bad more often than the good. I'm sure that he could do fine work, but his bad drafting and the thing that pushed most Wild fans over the edge was when he said that he didn't "manage expectations" well enough after the 08-09 season.

He seemed to throw draft picks around like they were nothing, but maybe he has learned something. He did tend to rush guys into the NHL like Sheppard and Gillies. His best trade was probably the Demitra one, but that's still debatable. I'm thinking TB wants to go with a guy that's experienced to guide their team? I'm not sure.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Doug did do a lot of good, but he is in large part responsible for us having the one of the worst if not the worst prospect pool. He was an excellent expansion GM. He was never very active at the deadline, and his departure was a welcome one. He liked to wait contracts out it seemed and tended to overpay, but I don't think he was as bad as everyone says. We just remember the bad more often than the good. I'm sure that he could do fine work, but his bad drafting and the thing that pushed most Wild fans over the edge was when he said that he didn't "manage expectations" well enough after the 08-09 season.

He seemed to throw draft picks around like they were nothing, but maybe he has learned something. He did tend to rush guys into the NHL like Sheppard and Gillies. His best trade was probably the Demitra one, but that's still debatable. I'm thinking TB wants to go with a guy that's experienced to guide their team? I'm not sure.
This sums it up well.

His smartest decision was to hire Lemaire to bring instant credibility to the franchise. He signed a coach that is great with veterans/3rd-4th liners and they simply overachieved. He was very conservative, trying to sign former high draft picks in hopes that they would find their groove. Essentially, he was a typical MN GM at the time...very low-risk, high-reward moves...that never really panned out. In fact, he kept Daigle over Bruno, something he admitted was a poor decision later on.

The problem with DR, in my opinion, is he did not evolve with the game after the lockout-now salary cap era. Very poor asset management and too much ego (insert "managing expectations" quote here). I know people have the ability to change and maybe being fired woke him up and he has taken time to realize his strategy needs improvement...but, the way he acted after losing here leads me to believe that he will think it was the coach, players, etc. that was the reason he wasn't successful here; therefore trying the same thing believing it will yield different results.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
se7en
infamous...

MNwildgophers & jocksta captured everything really well but I figured I'd chime in anyways...

Like he said above, DR (Riseborough) wasn't a terrible GM, he was actually a pretty good expansion GM. He was responsible for the team that made the 2003 deep run when we were only 3 years old. Lemaire obviously gets alot of the credit for the on-ice performance but DR has picked up some quality players over the years, the problem was retaining them & or getting value in return for them...

The problem was that he didn't develope the team any farther. I wonder what we'd be like now if Marian Gaborik was never a member of the Wild because in all honesty I think that guy is a cancer & as much as DR gets blamed, I think alot of issues stemmed from Gaborik. DR wanted to keep the fans happy & keep a big name player locked up but Gabby was a princess & i think that in pandering to Gabby it caused a string of events that led to our downfall...

From this, DR started to leverage the future for a "win now" team but it just all fell apart. We drafted poorly, we traded away our good prospects, and DR let our big name FA's walk for nothing because he had this "wait & see what happens" approach that failed miserably. It was almost as if he expected player to say "we'll stay for less money and sign bad contracts because you're Minnesota"

I could go on & on about the ins & outs of DR's tenure but overall he's not a horrible GM, I just believe that a string of events & some poor decisions magnified his failures. Rolston walking, Gabby walking and the weakest prospect depth in the league makes him look like a miserable GM but people need to remember that we were one of the strongest & most successful expansion franchises since '67.

Overall, would I want him back? NO. But I don't think he'd run the Lightning into the ground or anything. I just think fans these days want an aggressive GM and I don't think thats the kind of GM DR is... Well unless Minnesota changed him...

I'd say he is an average GM, you could do worse but you could probably do a whole lot better... I will say tho that if the Lightning hires it's not like you'll get any worse but I'm not going to say you'll be a cup team in no time either...

hope that helps man

Last edited by se7en: 04-20-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Another post went up while I was typing
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
You should ask the Flames fans as well.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
Hello, Lightning fan here. I've been hearing a lot of talk about Doug Risebrough being offered either the CEO or GM job of Tampa Bay. I haven't had much luck finding good information about him, but so far from what I've read there hasn't been too much good. Can you all give me a brief history of him and some information for a curious fan? Thanks
Pretty much just reverberating what has been said but Dougie Ballgame was a great expansion GM who had trouble taking the team to the next level and adapting to the new NHL. Minnesota is still reeling prospect-wise because he botched a 13 pick affair in 2004, the fourth overall pick in 2005 (no one else has played in the NHL besides Pouliot) and the ninth overall pick in 2006 (no one besides Sheppard and third-round pick Cal Clutterbuck have played in the NHL). After that, a lot of moves were made to cover up those blemishes (giving up picks in the process), but the drafting was still subpar as he gave up a second to get Colton Gillies (another two-way player) and a third to move up one spot to get Tyler Cuma (who has been riddled by injuries).

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
he sucks... idk why you guys would want him as your gm
Jac Spelring (former Wild CEO) is on the committee.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
A very cautious man. He won't ruin your team like some GM's do, but he's also not willing to roll the dice a little to make it better. Watching DR at trade deadline must be like watching paint dry.

As an employee he did exactly what his owner (Naegele) wanted. That is he gave him competitive team at the lowest payroll possible. - and thanks to Doug, Bob Naegele walked off with a hansome profit when he cashed out.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
State of Hockey

DR was a so-so GM in Minnesota. He was too conservative and didn't go for all-out talent when building a team from scratch. But that's maybe what Tampa needs right now. The Lightning have the talent, but they need a team. DR could obviously pick a good coach, and he knows how to find skaters that will play a two-way game and goalies that will stop the puck. He also rarely made a bad trade, although his trades were far too infrequent. Most Minnesota fans will paint an ugly picture of him, but he really wasn't that bad. I'd like to see what he can do with a team that already has talent. Maybe that's where he'll do better.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

kiss your draft picks goodbye!

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:29 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Wouldn't touch him with a 10-ft pole unless it meant having Sutter or Sather instead.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote