HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators vs. Blackhawks - Game 3 - 4/20 - 8 PM CST "Home Sweet Home" edition

Old
04-21-2010, 03:44 AM
PredAlert

vCash: 500
**** YEAH!

Great performance by the whole team. Beautifully executed PS by Erat. One more performance like that on thursday and I'll start to believe this team can go even deeper than 2nd round(really believe, not hope believe)

Rinne is playing freakin' great. .950% save, 1.35 GAA in the first 3 games
Except for his stickhandling the 1st. Almost gave me a heart attack

Leggy has really stepped up. 1 goal, 4 assists, the guy's really making up for the **** regular season he had.

Thanks to all of you who were at the game. Even if there wasn't a sellout, the atmosphere was GREAT. You can't lose when you have such a great crowd behind you for the whole 60 minutes.

Repeat this on Thursday as well guys, GO PREDS!

PredAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 07:19 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Is it just me, or are we dominating along the boards? I wonder how much impact this has had for us.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 07:23 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
Is it just me, or are we dominating along the boards? I wonder how much impact this has had for us.
Game 3 specifically (and mind you I was watching the Hawks feed) their announcers kept mentioning how hard we work along the boards and even more specifically our work behind Niemi and the net.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 07:32 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Are the hawks more offensively talented than we are? Very likely. However, that doesn't always win you games. As long as we stick to playing physical, playing tight D, and continue to get good goaltending we can win this series. Ignore Melrose. He and these other hacks were the ones saying we would fall out of the playoff race. Let's get behind the boys and keep proving people wrong!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
the first period was the oddest period of hockey I have ever seen. Rinne not once but twice almost puts the puck in our own net. Preds players handling the puck like a hand grenade. And yet we really should have been up 2-0 after the third PP. Then the parade of makeup calls, and suddenly its tied and we are actually struggling to hang on.

I dont think the penalty kill to run out the period can be overstated in importance. if the Hawks score there, i think we go on and lose the game.

however, after the first period, we played real Preds hockey, forechecking like we were starving and the puck was a steak....

and for all the old complaints about the preds playing soft.... ask Kane how soft we play...

If we can bottle that second period and pour it out over 60 minutes thursday, we will really be in uncharted territory...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Some of my favorite photos from the game.

The Cube with a big hit.

Sopel has a very interesting look on his face.

Toews and Weber

Toews and Weber meet again.

Suter looks pissed off.

Friendly hug.

Lots of smiles.

Better not see this many empty seats in game 4 that's for sure!

Old
04-21-2010, 08:31 AM
RollingPredFan

I agree, I think the boys in the 1st had the jitters, but settled down after that (Pekka especially)

Wow what can you say, we already have been better than any team we have previously had in the playoffs, our 1st road win and the 1st time we have been 2-1 (which is sad when you think about it lol)

Leggy has been our best player IMO, beside Rinne...

If we keep playing like this we will be a hard team to beat, but I hate to say I keep waiting for something bad to happen.... haha

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Watch highlights of the game, Legwand's breakaway Niemi goes low and small much like he did against Erat on the penalty shot.

Old
04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

One thing that I think went unsaid about Legwand's goal is he was on the PK and did a great job of keeping Chicago pinned deep in their zone for a while with his forecheck. How he had the legs to outrace his man down ice to tip in that pass from Sully was amazing. Truly a series of great plays on his part.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
WartracePred

Anyone notice that the ice time for our defensemen (except Franson) was evenly spread last night? Hammer 22 min, Weber 22 min, Klein 19 min, Suter 22 min, Bouillon 22 min, and Franson with 9 min.

What does that say about Trotz's trust in his blueline beyond the his top pairing? Seems like we all thought Weber and Sutes would see close to 30 minutes a game in this series.

Cube is playing like he has a personal vendetta against the Hawks. Someone must have said something about his momma in the first game.

Another telling stat from last night -- we out hit Chicago 32 - 18.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:03 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Nashville is winning both ways. The first game really was a 2-1 game with two empty nets. Very close but the Preds won. This game was a big blow out. The Erat Penalty shot was a knife in the back.

This team looks NOTHING like the teams of the past. The past playoff teams looked timid and their passing was youtube comedy reel. Now, the passing is sharper and they look confident. They have a "I don't give a ****" attitude and you can see it on the ice.

Oh and Rinne has allowed 4 goals in 3 games. That's pretty damn good. If this Rinne and defense keeps showing up this is a WCF team.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
cinepuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Anyone notice that the ice time for our defensemen (except Franson) was evenly spread last night? Hammer 22 min, Weber 22 min, Klein 19 min, Suter 22 min, Bouillon 22 min, and Franson with 9 min.

What does that say about Trotz's trust in his blueline beyond the his top pairing? Seems like we all thought Weber and Sutes would see close to 30 minutes a game in this series.

Cube is playing like he has a personal vendetta against the Hawks. Someone must have said something about his momma in the first game.

Another telling stat from last night -- we out hit Chicago 32 - 18.
Those numbers might be skewed a bit due to having last change. On the road, I think you see Weber/Suter get heavier minutes....but it depends on the matchups that Trotz wants and the ways that Q tries to get around it.

I might not be making sense, but here's an example. On the road, we might not know what the opposing team will counter with, so Trotz would be more likely to just put our best defensive line out there....at home, we can react to what the road team is doing, which might see an increase in time for other pairs....

Just a thought. But at the same time, I DO believe that Trotz has confidence in the blueline.

cinepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:06 AM
jlsg

When it comes to defense we have a distinct advantage over just about every team in the league. With most teams the talent past the 1st pair drops dramatically. As seen by the ice time, ours doesn't. Some would argue Hammy would be a first pair guy on some teams. What that means is we don't have to run Weber and Suter for 30+ minutes a game (see Duncan Keith). Huge advantage. Makes matchups difficult for the other team.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinepuck View Post
Those numbers might be skewed a bit due to having last change. On the road, I think you see Weber/Suter get heavier minutes....but it depends on the matchups that Trotz wants and the ways that Q tries to get around it.

I might not be making sense, but here's an example. On the road, we might not know what the opposing team will counter with, so Trotz would be more likely to just put our best defensive line out there....at home, we can react to what the road team is doing, which might see an increase in time for other pairs....

Just a thought. But at the same time, I DO believe that Trotz has confidence in the blueline.
Except that the TOI numbers from last game were pretty close. Weber had a little more and Klein had a little less, but my guess is that was due to trying to generate a little offense.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinepuck View Post

Good point about having more control with match ups on home ice. The minutes were a tad higher for Suter and Weber in Game 2. But nowhere near 30 minutes. Hammer - 21, Weber - 25, Klein - 15, Suter - 24, Bouillon - 20, Franson - 9.

With Franson seeing such limited minutes, what are the chances that Grebs sees the ice against Chicago? If we make it to round two, will Franson still get the nod over Grebs? Trotz said something to the effect that there is a known comfort level with Franson that isn't there with Grebs, merely because Grebs has played just a few games with the Preds.

My gut tells me let Grebeshkov play, but it's hard to argue with Trotz's decision after last nights game.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
i think when you notice that the Spaling/Tootoo/Boyd line ends up cycling a good bit that points out the relative weakness of chicagos bottom pair defensemen. And even if that line doesnt end up scoring (and heavens knows boyds had his chances) its still a "win" for us if all we do is burn 30 seconds in their end and force them to change.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Soundgarden

Man, that was an awesome game, screw everybody who says the preds aren't exciting, or that they don't have fans, I think we proved them wrong (once again) last night. Rinne has arguably been the best goaltender of the playoffs (Anderson has kept the Avs from embarrassment) and Leggy and the guys have really been stepping it up.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:25 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
One thing that I think went unsaid about Legwand's goal is he was on the PK and did a great job of keeping Chicago pinned deep in their zone for a while with his forecheck. How he had the legs to outrace his man down ice to tip in that pass from Sully was amazing. Truly a series of great plays on his part.
he had a few 90 second shifts last night

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Well, they are more talented than us...

but talent doesn't always win. we've got a lot of heart and enough talent.

great game. it was nice being in the lower bowl but I wish we could have been in the upper with all the legit peeps. one dude was trying to tell us that Tootoo needed to be on the ice more. :facepalm
Not everyone in the upper bowl is legit...the guy sitting behind my fiance told him to SIT DOWN after we scored our first goal and everyone was celebrating! WTF?! Thank goodness he's not a STH, hopefully he won't be back for Game 4. I think my fiance's response was something like "We just scored a goal. This is a playoff game. If you want to sit back and watch it, you can watch from your recliner at home!". Funny, b/c the complainer was a Stage 5 Leaner (which actually doesn't bother me much but whatever!).

Anyway, Game 4 is gonna be a sellout for sure right? Earlier start, no real TCAP the next day...I wanted to high-five every school-age kid I saw last night. I saw one couple leaving with their two kids at the very end of the game with everyone else...hopefully the thrill of victory will help those kids crush the stupid TCAP and get their game faces on for Game 4!

Anyone know any super-secret stealth parking tricks I can employ for Game 4? Gonna be coming from Vandy and probably won't get out till 7:15-7:30ish, if I can't find a coworker to drop me off I'm gonna have to drive and parking is gonna be a nightmare! We usually park in the lot across from Cokesbury/Christie's (RIP haha), but it's been getting full WAY early thanks to the convention center. And the shuttle lot won't be good b/c I'll already be late, I wanna be able to jump out of my car and RUN. If anyone has any tips, message me pleeease!

Edit: BTW, I love the pic of Sully tied up with that Hawk. Nothing gets me more pumped up than an angry Sully for some reason...he was the MAN last night. He wants it bad!...oh and I see that FSN is planning on re-broadcasting the game at noon today for those who forgot to DVR it and want to hear how loud the crowd sounds on TV. Anyone know whether or not re-plays on VS (don't even know if there are any) would be blacked out here?

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Another epic moment of HFboards history. A Preds Mod created GDT won a game.

SLake, the GDT is your's till the next loss.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
cinepuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Except that the TOI numbers from last game were pretty close. Weber had a little more and Klein had a little less, but my guess is that was due to trying to generate a little offense.
Yeah...I don't think you'll ever see them having to pull 30 minutes because Trotz has so much confidnece in our lower pairings....but I do think having home ice allows us to spread them more evenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86

great game. it was nice being in the lower bowl but I wish we could have been in the upper with all the legit peeps. one dude was trying to tell us that Tootoo needed to be on the ice more. :facepalm
Well he did play his best game of the series last night!

cinepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I love the way Sully is playing. He is hitting everyone and just being an absolute pest, while also getting his teammates good looks on net.

The defense is giving too many pucks away still (Hammer, Klein) but Rinne has bailed us out a few times and recovering D partners have come back to help.

So far, no true heros, no goats. Everyone playing well, although you'd like to see Suter and Arnott on the score sheet at some point.

Niemi is close to folding. He doesn't look confident, and shipping 4 isn't helping anything. Another beating on Thursday and we'll have the 'Hawks way back on their heels.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Milly79

What a great game to attend! I can barely speak today.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I agree, I think the boys in the 1st had the jitters, but settled down after that (Pekka especially)

Wow what can you say, we already have been better than any team we have previously had in the playoffs, our 1st road win and the 1st time we have been 2-1 (which is sad when you think about it lol)

Leggy has been our best player IMO, beside Rinne...

If we keep playing like this we will be a hard team to beat, but I hate to say I keep waiting for something bad to happen.... haha
I think Legwand was the best forward for game 3 for sure. Didn't start out so hot missing yet another breakaway, but finially buried one his chances and was generating offense throughout the game. Hopefully it helps his confidence. But, I wouldn't call him the MVP just yet. He was really bad in game 2. Game 1 he got 2 assists, but they have asterisks-- one was a flubbed breakaway that Dumont cleaned up and the other was an EN goal.

Hamhuis... gets totally burned at least once a game. Last night it didn't lead to goal (thanks Pekka), but his gaffes could come to haunt us. We talk about Grebs over Franson, well how about Greb over Hamhuis? Klein also scares me. I know Franson is only getting 10 minutes a game, but he's looked pretty good to me.

Hopefully Hornqvist is able to go soon.

Neimi... looked horrible on Erat's PS. I don't know WHAT he was thinking. Let's hope this continues.

Trotz is outchoaching Quenville so far. He along with Pekka would be my MVP's to this point. But, there's still a lot of hockey to be played.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:32 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't see how an assist off of a goal that resulted from the rebound you created deserves an asterisk. Legwand isn't the only player on the team who misses breakaways. I think he's been playing his best hockey of the season

Last edited by TMI: 04-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote