HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

"Game of Year"|Game 4|PIT @ OTT|April 20, 7PM|Series 1-2|CBC VS RDS

Old
04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Mike Richards has some amazing bar crawls too, another bonus.
Seriously. I don't want another Redden on our hands.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
But you took the time to respond???
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
don't worry, the irony didnt escape me as I was replying.
There's still hope for you.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Tundraman
Survivalist

As soon as he picked up Sutton Murray should have flipped Volchenkov out west for a puck mover and a draft pick. Volchenkov's play with Spezza that cost the goal shows he's useless offensively. He panics with the puck at the blue line because he's too slow. Sutton is a better fit than Volchenkov and we don't need 2 puck blockers. Sutton has more upside for less money. Now Murray will get nothing for Volchenkov and if he signs him he's nuts.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
sensrulz

I would see what we could get unloading a package of Spezza, Leclaire and Kovy. I guess we might have seen the last game for Volchie here, although he has not impressed in this series to warrant a big increase.

sensrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:37 PM
QuattroFTW

Honestly guys it was wishful thinking to think we would get by the Pens. They have way more depth than our team and they've got the experience of winning a cup to guide them. Unfortunately for us we've got some pretty significant issues all around that would help us getting far in the playoffs.

1) Consistent goaltending. Leclaire is another one of those goalies who could have been. He really could have, but its the luck of the draw and we lucked out. Look at the Yotes and their waiver acquisition of Bryzgalov. Good goalies can be had, its trial and error.

2) No offense. The Sens just don't have enough firepower to bail out a bad goaltending night. Alfies past his prime, Kovalev is way too inconsistent to be considered a real threat, Cullen is 2nd line scoring at best, and so too is Fisher. Heatley made Spezza look better than he was IMO. He's the kind of guy that needs a wingman to get things done, and without Heater he just looks silly.

3) Average defense. To get to the point, our defense was awful. No back checking and no check completion. This ends up leading to odd man rushes and easy entry into our zone which ultimately lead to goals. As a comparison, look at how much more difficult it is to get anything going in Pittsburgh's end.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:39 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
That turnover wouldn't have happened if Volchenkov held his position along the boards.

You see that play at least 5-10 times a game. A forward goes back against the grain, passing it to the defenseman who dumps it in to keep the cycle going. Volchenkov left his post, he's way too defensive. After watching him since the Olympics + playoffs I wouldn't re-sign him, Sutton is a better option at the money Volchenkov (supposely) wants.

Of course i'm a Spezza homer though
It wouldn't have been a bad play if Volchenkov got his stick on it and just flipped it deep, which is what Spezza wanted. It was even on his forehand, in reach but Volchenkov panicked and started backing up.

More than anything Anton was just caught flat footed, not only did he miss the puck, he also lost his man as well. The pass would have easily been broken up if he had a bit more composure in those types of situations. That's why I'm pretty doubtful about his usefulness going forward.

There are SO many other teams that have Defensemen who can handle the puck and make plays at the point. I realize people are ragging on Spezza hardcore, but he's really limited on the sorts of plays he can make because only Karlsson and Campoli can handle a pass and actually manufacture a play from it.

You look at Pittsburgh in comparison and they have a decent level of balance when it comes to guys who can handle the puck well and it really does open up a lot of space for the forwards.

I don't think Sutton is the answer either. If he was signed for 2M and used as a 4th/5th Defenseman, it wouldn't be that bad, but it's also quite obvious that he has some of the same issues Anton has in respect to his mobility and his competence with the puck offensively.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigEyedPhish

As much as I am infuriatated with Jason Spezza I'd only trade him for Jerome Iginla, or another #1 center of equal or lesser value or +++

I'd also do Spezza for Kopitar + something maybe small.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
NHL = WWE = Fake = Money + Money + Money
If you believe in the tooth fairy
If you believe that pro wrestling is real
If you believe that NHL games aren't fixed
Then have I got a deal for U.
I believe most of us understood you the first 50 times you wrote something similar to this...

**** happens, sometimes against you, sometimes for you.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Rooverick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Que? I'd say Spezza's brutal turnover is what put this team down the hole. Stop blaming the officials, there's more than enough blame on this roster to throw around.
I think you mean Volchenkov's brutal turnover. If he just holds the point and takes the 2 foot pass, the play never happens. Instead he suffers a case of vapour lock and leaves Spezza hung out to dry.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:53 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Personally I thought Spezza really had a bounce back game and was trying his best to get us back into it. Cullen and Alfie had good games too.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
porknbeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
The season ticket base will erode again next season. It would take a couple of high profile signings to stop the slide. Bet they lose another 2000 next year without a significant price drop.
They confirm that our season ticket renewals are right around and just over the 10K mark. Their goal was to get to 12K for next year, which wont happen unless they win the series (which also wont happen).

They might get about 10.5K.

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens15 View Post
Overall...Was Cheechoo better then Shannon? I'd say so, he threw the body good
Cheechoo - 0 SOG / 0 hits and looked 1/2 step behind every play.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
The Pistol

Outside the one turnover leading to the second goal, I thought Spezza had a decent game. He was putting the puck on the net, finished with six shots.

I was also really impressed by Cullen tonight. Looking past the point totals, he was perfect at the dot tonight and used his speed effectively.

Obviously if we're going to win another game this year we're going to have to fix our defensive issues.

The Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 10:59 PM
OttawaGM

Volchenkov better not be back. Sign Sutton for 50% of what Volchenkov wants and use the rest to upgrade the puck movement on the back end or the forward skill.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 11:20 PM
porknbeans

You do realize Volchenkov saves like 40 goals a year through blocks, right?

Anyway, what a disappointing game. Pittsburgh is obviously the better team, never disputed that, but I was hoping we could give them a run. Guess not.

I like our chances moving forward with Regin, Karlsson, Elliott, Clouston etc.

I hope we re-sign Volch, but admit its a longshot at this point. I don't really want Sutton or Kuba back. Enough mediocrity.

We're done, but we might be able to sneak a win in game 5. Elliott is our #1 guy, he hasn't played well this series. But really...

Relying on Karlsson, Regin, Clouston and Elliott to lead the team?

One good thing about this is the Sens are actually scoring!! We went through YEARS with Martin where we couldn't score to save our lives.

5 goals in game 1
1 goal in game 2
2 goals in game 3
4 goals in game 4

we're at a 3 goal a game pace. Too bad our D is absolutely pathetic and our goaltending is mediocre to below average.

We're headed in the right direction, I really hope we get rid of some of our dead weight (Leclaire, Kuba) this offseason. Probably not though. Seems like every team needs dead weight for some reason.

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 07:42 AM
SenatorsFC

Send a message via MSN to SenatorsFC
Big shoutout to the guys in Section 318! Last night was ****ing awesome even though we didn't win!

SenatorsFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorsFC View Post
Big shoutout to the guys in Section 318! Last night was ****ing awesome even though we didn't win!
Hahaha I was in that section! I loved the part when those retarded Pittsburgh fans got booted out, and the guy sitting behind them ripped up one of their posters And when everyone was yelling "kick them out!"

PS i saw someone with a Sutton is an EXPERT sign in the section beside us.

Old
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
Cheechoo - 0 SOG / 0 hits and looked 1/2 step behind every play.
What? He threw several hits, including absolutely pasting Adams in our zone in the 3rd. He was also involved in the scrum in the first. I thought he had a good game, more useful than Shannon at least.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
You do realize Volchenkov saves like 40 goals a year through blocks, right?

Anyway, what a disappointing game. Pittsburgh is obviously the better team, never disputed that, but I was hoping we could give them a run. Guess not.

I like our chances moving forward with Regin, Karlsson, Elliott, Clouston etc.

I hope we re-sign Volch, but admit its a longshot at this point. I don't really want Sutton or Kuba back. Enough mediocrity.

We're done, but we might be able to sneak a win in game 5. Elliott is our #1 guy, he hasn't played well this series. But really...

Relying on Karlsson, Regin, Clouston and Elliott to lead the team?

One good thing about this is the Sens are actually scoring!! We went through YEARS with Martin where we couldn't score to save our lives.

5 goals in game 1
1 goal in game 2
2 goals in game 3
4 goals in game 4

we're at a 3 goal a game pace. Too bad our D is absolutely pathetic and our goaltending is mediocre to below average.

We're headed in the right direction, I really hope we get rid of some of our dead weight (Leclaire, Kuba) this offseason. Probably not though. Seems like every team needs dead weight for some reason.
Volchenkov blocked 172 shots this season. If we put these shots through Elliott's sv%, he saved about 17 potential goals this season. There's many other factors but I wanted to put things into perspective.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
SenatorsFC

Send a message via MSN to SenatorsFC
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroFTW View Post
Hahaha I was in that section! I loved the part when those retarded Pittsburgh fans got booted out, and the guy sitting behind them ripped up one of their posters And when everyone was yelling "kick them out!"

PS i saw someone with a Sutton is an EXPERT sign in the section beside us.
Hahaha yeah those guys started to talk **** right from the get go. I was laughing my ass off when the guy up from him rip up his poster after the first goal

That dancing penguin was also pretty funny.

SenatorsFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorsFC View Post
Hahaha yeah those guys started to talk **** right from the get go. I was laughing my ass off when the guy up from him rip up his poster after the first goal

That dancing penguin was also pretty funny.
The fat@ss was calling that dad an old man after Pittsburgh scored and me and my buddy were honestly seconds away from going up to the guys and taking their hats and posters had the usher not have been beside us. Good times