HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan

Old
04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I have to disagree with you. I certainly wouldn't have the job I do now without a college degree.

At least in my field you MUST have at least four year degree to even be considered. No college or trade school and sorry, but your resume is in the trash.
What field do you work in? Teaching?

I'm a programmer. I went to Chubb and got a job before I graduated, though it helped that my friend's mom was the recruiter. Even if she hadn't been the recruiter, I have no doubt that I could have gotten the job. This was back in 97, though. I realize the market is very different now.

Like I said, it's all about getting your foot in the door. Of course a 4 year degree helps, but isn't always necessary. There are other ways. Once you're in, performance is what matters, not where you went to school.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

I'm a programmer. I went to Chubb and got a job before I graduated, though it helped that my friend's mom was the recruiter. Even if she hadn't been the recruiter, I have no doubt that I could have gotten the job. This was back in 97, though. I realize the market is very different now.

Like I said, it's all about getting your foot in the door. Of course a 4 year degree helps, but isn't always necessary. There are other ways. Once you're in, performance is what matters, not where you went to school.
this is correct.

What languages do you know? I'm an account manager for a wall st. tech consulting firm. My big clients are Morgan Stanley and Citi. I'd be glad to look over your resume/possibly make money off you! hahaha

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
College vs non college... hmmm...

Depends on what you're trying to do... but at the end of the day, this world is all about networking... and I network better than anyone I know... all of my access is a result of hustling and moving and making **** happen... moreso than resumes and that sort...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:55 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
this is correct.

What languages do you know? I'm an account manager for a wall st. tech consulting firm. My big clients are Morgan Stanley and Citi. I'd be glad to look over your resume/possibly make money off you! hahaha
I work primarily on Peoplesoft (Oracle). Most of the tools I use are specific to their products. Well versed in SQL. I've dabbled with other stuff like VB and Perl, but wouldn't say I know them. Familiar but not proficient with Unix.

I always wanted to get into making games. Not sure how I ended up in the business side of things lol. But hey, it pays well and my job is pretty secure, thankfully.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
this is correct.

How long ago did you start working though?

AFAIK, no one would even look at your resume today in any financial firm unless you at least have a BBA (that is for entry level, not someone who has lots of experience).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

I do video production/play-by-play for a mid-major NCAA school. We require at least a four year degree and prefer a masters from all of our applicants. Obviously there are always exceptions to the rule though. But I do agree with you that once your foot is in the door its all about performance.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
How long ago did you start working though?

AFAIK, no one would even look at your resume today in any financial firm unless you at least have a BBA (that is for entry level, not someone who has lots of experience).
This.

It's one thing to have been doing it for years and years at this stage. You have obviously proven yourself and been grandfathered in (not a crack about age...just the term).

Like I said before, no degree means your resume goes in the trash bin.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:08 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
This.

It's one thing to have been doing it for years and years at this stage. You have obviously proven yourself and been grandfathered in (not a crack about age...just the term).

Like I said before, no degree means your resume goes in the trash bin.
Well, if you are going for an entry level spot in financial services, or any big company..and you have no corporate experience, then it's going to be hard with no college. That said, it's hard getting a job anywhere these days without knowing someone, or being referred.

I work on the agency side of technology consulting, whereas my clients are big companies. In the technology field, college is really not a must.

The difference is this: In America, a college degree is just proof that you did the work (ie: history, english, poly-sci degrees) whereas people from India, Russia, China often went to top technical schools, and have already acquired valuable knowledge directly related to the position they desire.

If I tried to get a job on the corporate side of things- corporate recruiting- (I'd rather kill myself), my lack of college would most likely keep me from getting in.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
****! Stepan just said he values getting his degree. Both of his parents didnt have a chance to go to college so he doesn't want to rush the pros and wants to go the "Geoffrion" route. We wont be seeing Stepan for 2 more years.
cant blame him for this....college degrees are the new highschool diploma...he's just looking out for his life after hockey or as a backup if things dont work out...smart move

but, mr. stepan, summer classes are your friend

get that Shiiiit done and get yourself in a rangers jersey!

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:37 PM
haveandare

At the end of the day, is there some reason you can't just get a degree later? Most people get it after high school, but there are always a few older folks in my classes. Its not like "I was playing in the NHL" isn't a legit reason to delay going to school. Plus, if you're in the league for long enough even making the league minimum, you'll at least be financially secure with or without a degree. "Worst" case scenario from an education standpoint, you play until your late thirties, early forties, retire, finish up a few semesters, no?

Isn't there some system worked out for young NHL players to earn a degree in the off seasons or something? Seems like a pretty good idea to me, especially with more and more young kids coming in and dominating.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
At the end of the day, is there some reason you can't just get a degree later? Most people get it after high school, but there are always a few older folks in my classes. Its not like "I was playing in the NHL" isn't a legit reason to delay going to school. Plus, if you're in the league for long enough even making the league minimum, you'll at least be financially secure with or without a degree. "Worst" case scenario from an education standpoint, you play until your late thirties, early forties, retire, finish up a few semesters, no?

Isn't there some system worked out for young NHL players to earn a degree in the off seasons or something? Seems like a pretty good idea to me, especially with more and more young kids coming in and dominating.
No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting it later. Actually, players like Stepan who are all but destined to make the NHL in one form or another are taking a risk by leaving money on the table. What if, god forbid, he were to suffer a career ending injury during his senior year? Obviously he would never play in the NHL. On the other hand, if, god forbid again, he suffered a career ending injury during say his second year as a pro he would have quite some money to fall back on. Actually, that money could probably pay his entire tuition at the even the most expensive colleges in America and/or keep him afloat for a while until he figures his life out

But I think we're looking too much into this. I think no matter what route he takes he'll be successful because from all that we've read and seen he seems to be a smart and ambitious person

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Stepan is going to sign a 3 year ELC contract worth max cap dollars($850k-$875k per)/$67,500 AHL salary plus possibly performance bonuses. Pretty good signing bonus. People are sitting here comparing their situations to Stepan's situation.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote