HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to do the scoopy puck move

Old
04-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It was Bill Armstrong, who if I remember right had to retire after they discovered he had a brain tumor.
Wow that blows... I never knew about that. Did he die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
GREAT now I have to re-shoot the entire video!! Haha, Just kidding. To many people have claim to this move, scoopy puck it is!
I remember after Legg scored the goal they did a piece on how he trained with Armstrong (if that is indeed the guy) from the Vipers, and how he was actually the first person to ever score a goal using this move (did it twice).

They showed the footage and Armstrong did it so fast, it made Legg's goal look slow and awkward.

He is the one who should get credit for being the first to ever score using this move, not Legg.

Edit: I found a clip of Armstrong, he was sick and is indeed the guy who invented the move. This is a great clip for anyone who is interested in the move and the guy who invented it. It starts at about the 2:30 minute mark with some highlights, then goes into detail on how he invented the move.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 04-20-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I think it was a stagnant benign tumor; it was there but wasn't growing or causing any problems, but the potential was too great to allow him to continue playing.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
nexusrage21

Quote:

I remember after Legg scored the goal they did a piece on how he trained with Armstrong (if that is indeed the guy) from the Vipers, and how he was actually the first person to ever score a goal using this move (did it twice).

They showed the footage and Armstrong did it so fast, it made Legg's goal look slow and awkward.

He is the one who should get credit for being the first to ever score using this move, not Legg.

Edit: I found a clip of Armstrong, he was sick and is indeed the guy who invented the move. This is a great clip for anyone who is interested in the move and the guy who invented it. It starts at about the 2:30 minute mark with some highlights, then goes into detail on how he invented the move.

I remember when it happened there was a small mention a few days later about how a player in the IHL who legg knew had done the same move that night. I guess this was who that was.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:37 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

According to the commentary in this clip, Legg succeeded in doing it in a game first. It says, on the second of Armstrong's goals "If it looks familiar it's because Mike Legg did it for Michigan two years ago... amazingly, Armstrong scored a similar one last year as well, the two trained together".

If Armstrong's first was "last year" and Legg's was "two years ago" than Legg's was first. Doesn't mean Armstrong didn't invent it, but it does mean it's accurate to call it "The Mike Legg" as he'd be the first two have succeeded in a game and had a popular highlight of it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
rinkrat22

I thought he said "I did it in a game for the wings the night before, but legg did in a national game so everyone saw it. but its cool because he gave me credit for inventing it"

Although I have been wrong in the past, and I'm not watching the clip again right now its too long.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
I thought he said "I did it in a game for the wings the night before, but legg did in a national game so everyone saw it. but its cool because he gave me credit for inventing it"

Although I have been wrong in the past, and I'm not watching the clip again right now its too long.
I'm talking about the commentary on the actual highlight, not what he said. Right at around 2:30 it shows, back to back, the highlights of his two IHL goals and that's what is said in the commentary on the second one.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
According to the commentary in this clip, Legg succeeded in doing it in a game first. It says, on the second of Armstrong's goals "If it looks familiar it's because Mike Legg did it for Michigan two years ago... amazingly, Armstrong scored a similar one last year as well, the two trained together".

If Armstrong's first was "last year" and Legg's was "two years ago" than Legg's was first. Doesn't mean Armstrong didn't invent it, but it does mean it's accurate to call it "The Mike Legg" as he'd be the first two have succeeded in a game and had a popular highlight of it.
It didn't say Legg did it first, it said he scored a similar goal "two years ago"

Armstrong scored on that move twice before the Legg move, then he did it several other times after the Legg goal.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote