HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Chicago Blackhawks cap situation

Old
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
DRISB19

vCash: 500
Chicago Blackhawks cap situation

can somebody please explain to me the cap situation trouble they are in, and what they will have to do for next year?

DRISB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
petesrw

Without looking at any stats, I think the problem is similar to what we went through last off season. Zetterberg and Franzen were making pennies until their contracts were up and had to be re-signed for several million more per season, each.

Kane, Toews, and Keith are all on the last year of their deals which pay them way less than what they are worth. They all signed extensions around 6-7 million a year. This year they all cost probably less than 10 million combined. Next year when their new deals kick in, they will all make around 20 million total. This leaves 10 million less in cap room, meaning they will have to find a way to remove some very decent players to make room for the young guns. Guys like Huet, Sharp, and Byfuglien (?) may be dealt to clear space.

Or something.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
DRISB19

so there is no possible way they can resign everyone?

Old
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Shoalzie

They've got $57.6 million in contracts for next year on only 14 players. They've got their core locked up longterm but they're in trouble when it comes to re-signing guys like Ladd, Burish and Niemi. They could do themselves a lot of favors by getting rid of Campbell and Huet's bad contracts...that's $12.7 million a year in salary right there.

Some other issues they'll have ahead is Seabrook and Brouwer are up after next year...both guys will need raises. Byfuglien is up after next year as well but he's making $3 million already...a gross overpayment in my view. They could probably move him and help them in keeping more valuable players.

I think they've done well in signing Kane, Toews, Hossa and Keith longterm and for reasonable amounts...they just need to figure out what to do with their secondary guys. Plus, if they want to go with Niemi over Huet as their #1 or if they want to go the free agent route and go after a guy like Turco...they don't have any money to spend.

Simply put, this is the only year they'll be able to ice a team like this. They'll be quite a bit different in the next two years...kinda like what we saw with the Wings with Franzen and Zetterberg's new contracts changing the way the team was constructed financially. This is essentially their "all in" year...they won't be nearly as good on paper next year. The pressure on them to get it done before they have to undergo a facelift.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Go Wings

The situation is they're ****ed. This is Chicago's one chance to win the cup before they half to gut a good portion of their team. Detroit will regain the division title next season.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
icuwoot

And the great thing about this year is the fact that one of their fans jinxed them by painting this mural....

icuwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:05 PM
DregerFan

That's an amazing Mural.
WOW.

And I believe Chicago will get it together.

DregerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:10 PM
DregerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
They've got $57.6 million in contracts for next year on only 14 players. They've got their core locked up longterm but they're in trouble when it comes to re-signing guys like Ladd, Burish and Niemi. They could do themselves a lot of favors by getting rid of Campbell and Huet's bad contracts...that's $12.7 million a year in salary right there.

Some other issues they'll have ahead is Seabrook and Brouwer are up after next year...both guys will need raises. Byfuglien is up after next year as well but he's making $3 million already...a gross overpayment in my view. They could probably move him and help them in keeping more valuable players.

I think they've done well in signing Kane, Toews, Hossa and Keith longterm and for reasonable amounts...they just need to figure out what to do with their secondary guys. Plus, if they want to go with Niemi over Huet as their #1 or if they want to go the free agent route and go after a guy like Turco...they don't have any money to spend.

Simply put, this is the only year they'll be able to ice a team like this. They'll be quite a bit different in the next two years...kinda like what we saw with the Wings with Franzen and Zetterberg's new contracts changing the way the team was constructed financially. This is essentially their "all in" year...they won't be nearly as good on paper next year. The pressure on them to get it done before they have to undergo a facelift.
Find a taker for Campbell, Huet and Hossa. Yes, Hossa needs to go. His signing was a bad idea in the first place.

If they can afford to Bury Huet, the cheapest of the 3 (they make lots of money) then they're left with someone taking Campbell's deal and Hossa. I think Hossa has an NTC? I'm not sure. ANyways, there will be a team that will take him at that price that is a contending team. Maybe a team like LA?

Those guys are 7 + 4 (or 5 for Huet?) + 5 = 16 17 million shed right there. They'll get it done. I think they've gotten offers for Campbell if you ask me, it's just they knew they could afford to keep everyone without penalty this year so there was no point. But I definitely see atleast 2 of the 3 (hossa should go too, I'm serious, he had no business there in the first place) which changes their cap situation significantly.

DregerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DregerFan View Post
Find a taker for Campbell, Huet and Hossa. Yes, Hossa needs to go. His signing was a bad idea in the first place.

If they can afford to Bury Huet, the cheapest of the 3 (they make lots of money) then they're left with someone taking Campbell's deal and Hossa. I think Hossa has an NTC? I'm not sure. ANyways, there will be a team that will take him at that price that is a contending team. Maybe a team like LA?

Those guys are 7 + 4 (or 5 for Huet?) + 5 = 16 17 million shed right there. They'll get it done. I think they've gotten offers for Campbell if you ask me, it's just they knew they could afford to keep everyone without penalty this year so there was no point. But I definitely see atleast 2 of the 3 (hossa should go too, I'm serious, he had no business there in the first place) which changes their cap situation significantly.
The problem with bad contracts is something I've talked with Chicago fans over and over. There's no trade market for 5+m bag pucks goalie. There's not huge market for 7.1m defenseman. Teams aren't going take on big salaries without giving some back. Then the last problem is the tagging rule. They can't hide Huet's salary in the minors until later in the fall.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM
HockeyinHD

Chicago's cap situation is a disaster. It's a little less of one now that they've already given away Cam Barker, a former #3 OVERALL pick, but it's still really ugly.

What they are going to have to do is give away Huet, who is useless to them, and then they are probably going to have to give away Sharp, who is not useless to them, along with giving away Sopel, who is useless to most people.

I think it is possible to move Campbell, but the amount of throw-in Chicago would have to do to make that kind of trade happen would be amazing.

Let's put it this way, with 14 guys under contract for next year the Hawks would have to cut somewhere along the lines of 8 million dollars from their EXISTING cap commitments to get to the point where they could average ~1 million dollars in salary for the people they bring in to fill a minimum of 7 spots.

IMO they do that by dumping Huet and Sopel (9.5 mil in cap space) and replacing those roster spots with 750k guys (1.5 mil in cap space). That makes their 8 million dollar dump, and makes the new cap number 49.6 mil.

That leaves around 7-9 mil (depending on the final cap number) to fill 7-9 spots (depending on if Chicago goes 21-23 men on the roster).

Oh, yeah... and Antti Niemi will still be their goalie. And Marian Hossa will still be there.

Responding to Gibson: Absolutely agree. What they are going to have to do is package Huet with something and still get nothing back. Maybe a depth prospect or a depth skater from another team just to balance out the roster, but that's it. That's why I mention Sharp. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Sharp becomes the inducement Chicago has to offer in order to move Huet or Campbell. Like: Huet and Sharp to Ottawa for vapor. Maybe a pick, maybe a crap player like Neil, maybe some depth prospect.

Last edited by HockeyinHD: 04-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.
HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
DRISB19

so chicago will be alot different next year from the sounds of it, i still wonder why they would sign hossa when the better thing to do would be to sign all their ufas and rfas with hossas money imo

Old
04-21-2010, 02:17 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Well all of you covered it, Kane, Toews and Keith's contracts come into play and that means that they will be paying between 6-7 million a year to at least 5 players. Why they signed Hossa for that much and for that long is beyond me.

They are going to lose a lot of depth if they don't move Campbell and Huet. They are royally ****ed next season and I'm interested in seeing how they manage.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
DetBigWangs

They exhausted their cap after 14 players. That's a lot worse than our cap situation was ever projected to be.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
They may be in some cap trouble, but they did what they wanted in my opinion, they got a fanbase back and locked up some solid young players with long-term deals.

If they can make some good decisions in the near future by losing contracts and signing the right UFAs, then they'll be just fine.

The Blackhawks are all about marketing their team and $$$, but I think they're still a major contender now and will probably continue to be in the future.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
I can't imagine who would pick up Campbell's contract. It has to be the worst contract in the league.

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:25 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzenstein View Post
I can't imagine who would pick up Campbell's contract. It has to be the worst contract in the league.
Agreed..

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:05 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
It's going to take some thinking. THe thing is, there's no way they can move Campbell and not have to take a dog contract back, so they're never going to be able to clear his whole number off their books.

I think a best case scenario for Chicago re: Campbell is moving him to, say, the Rangers but having to take back Roszival or Redden. Something like that.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Anchor Town

yeah if they want to move campbell or huet they are going to have to move some nice picks or prospects as well to get teams to take them. especially huet

Anchor Town is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DregerFan View Post

you make it sound like getting rid of these players is going to be easy....

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
exactly, no ones gonna want to take on those contracts unless they get something else with it and dont have to give up anything but garbage

Anchor Town is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Franzenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
Yeah, for real......I think Campbell sucks anyway. I'm not sure how good you guys think he is but, I don't think anyone will want to take that $7.1 million contract for the next 5-6 years(not sure how long he has left on his contract).

Old
04-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Yeah, for real......I think Campbell sucks anyway. I'm not sure how good you guys think he is but, I don't think anyone will want to take that $7.1 million contract for the next 5-6 years(not sure how long he has left on his contract).
I don't think he's worth $7.1m, but I don't think he's a horrible defenseman, either. I could see a team with a very low (maybe below floor) cap number looking at him - especially if they have a hard time attracting decent UFA and want/need a vet to build a younger blueline around.

04-21-2010, 08:32 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Maybe you should look harder.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Franzenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Maybe you should look harder.

Sorry for making such a huge mistake. I can't believe I did that. Let me correct myself....I can't imagine who would pick up Campbell's contract. It has to be the 2nd worst contract in the league.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, maybe you should come in here and discuss your teams Cap number w/ us instead of defending your overpaid blue-liner. just sayin'

Old
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuwoot View Post
And the great thing about this year is the fact that one of their fans jinxed them by painting this mural....

Bad things happen when you paint one of your players with a pig nose.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote