HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign D Lee Sweatt

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2010, 04:16 PM
VanEric

vCash: 500
I see the worst case scenario being that he doesn't make them team, they send him down and instead of going to the Moose, they loan him back to a team in Europe.

I had no clue why Gillis signed Aaron Rome last year. It seemed so random but it's worked out quite well.

Old
04-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Reign Nateo

I'm getting a Lee Sweatt jersey... tomorrow.

Old
04-01-2010, 05:12 PM
v-man

I saw quite a few of his KHL games and the guy was invisible at that level. His team got remarkably better after he left. Looks like his offensive skills only show up at the lower levels. I think he'll be back to Finland after not making the cut with the Nucks.

Old
04-01-2010, 06:30 PM
B-rock

I would imagine this is a Moose signing. Don't think he'll even get a look at the NHL level.

Old
04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
Your logic doesn't follow.

Scouts provide talent evaluations. At the very most, they would probably say "he would be good/not good for this organization".

But even given that information, it is eventually up to the GM or AGM to sign these NCAA free agents.

Canucks were in the mix for Bobby Butler who ended up signing with Ottawa, as well as Lee Baldwin (NYR). There are a number of reasons why they didn't sign with Vancouver -- perceived organizational need, contract numbers, etc. -- but none of these are of any fault to the scouting staff.
What if Gillis had the need and the numbers to sign Butler but he just decided to sign somewhere else, and what you are talking about isn't 100% in the GM's control anyway, the GM will try to sign the players that the scouts recommend usually, if it's good info or bad info, the GM's will try and sign the players the scouts say are good.

Old
04-01-2010, 09:38 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
What if Gillis had the need and the numbers to sign Butler but he just decided to sign somewhere else, and what you are talking about isn't 100% in the GM's control anyway, the GM will try to sign the players that the scouts recommend usually, if it's good info or bad info, the GM's will try and sign the players the scouts say are good.
but obviously not at any cost. and surely you see how the scout has no influence on where the line is drawn that the GM won't bid over.

Old
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
dmacgreg37

No word on this since the originial rumor, eh? Strange that it seemed so likely and then seems to have disapearred.

Old
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I'm under the impression the AHL is about equal to the Swedish and Finnish elite league for salaries.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your impression is wrong. Sweatt gets atleast 250k wage in finland and isn`t AHL max salary around 100k.

Decent player, should get a look in NHL but I doubt he becomes regular.

Old
04-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
What if Gillis had the need and the numbers to sign Butler but he just decided to sign somewhere else

Good job. Way to come around.

Thank you for understanding that a correlation between the quality of our college scouting and our college UDFA signings cannot be accurately or properly drawn because of a number of other confounding variables present.

Old
04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Your impression is wrong. Sweatt gets atleast 250k wage in finland and isn`t AHL max salary around 100k.

Decent player, should get a look in NHL but I doubt he becomes regular.
There is no max salary in the NHL -- hence why NHL clubs send NHL veterans to the AHL and pay them their NHL salary. What you're probably thinking of is the "max salary" a player can be paid in the AHL on a 2-way contract and still be recalled without having to clear re-entry waivers.

Still, the Canucks have shown a willingness to pay top-end AHL talent to play in the AHL. Isn't Rome on a one-way contract (and there was obviously a chance he'd be down there this season)? Lukowich is.

If this signing is real, perhaps Sweatt just wants to take a season to see if he can be that depth guy for the Canucks. A year making 80k in Manitoba if it doesn't work out probably isn't the worst thing in the world. He can always go back to Europe the next year.

Old
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM
CCTigers

I watched Lee for 4 years as a season ticket holder for CC, and was a huge fan of his. In my 16 years of having season tickets to CC hockey games, he's in my top 4-5 favorite players. He was always the strongest guy on the team in all of the weight lifting competitions - he's a full on fitness freak. I'm not sure I would call him an offensive defenseman. He does a good job of rushing the puck when given open ice, but when I hear "offensive defenseman" I think of guys who give up something on the defensive end to make an offensive play. Lee wasn't like that at CC. He did rack up a solid number of points, but that had more to do with lots of ice time with some high scoring teams, and doing a great job of making good outlet passes and getting the puck to open guys in the offensive zone. He also had a lot of PP time. I think of him as a solid defenseman who has great vision, which leads to good point totals. He definitely is not scared about carrying the puck up ice or even going end-to-end and does have above average puck skills for a defenseman, but he looks for the safe play first and gets back on defense as quickly as possible after a rush.
The ONLY downside he has is size. He's smart, quick, good with the puck, has good vision, is physical, and plays a very solid all-around game. If he was 6' 2", he would have been in the NHL at 21 or 22.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCTigers View Post
I watched Lee for 4 years as a season ticket holder for CC, and was a huge fan of his. In my 16 years of having season tickets to CC hockey games, he's in my top 4-5 favorite players. He was always the strongest guy on the team in all of the weight lifting competitions - he's a full on fitness freak. I'm not sure I would call him an offensive defenseman. He does a good job of rushing the puck when given open ice, but when I hear "offensive defenseman" I think of guys who give up something on the defensive end to make an offensive play. Lee wasn't like that at CC. He did rack up a solid number of points, but that had more to do with lots of ice time with some high scoring teams, and doing a great job of making good outlet passes and getting the puck to open guys in the offensive zone. He also had a lot of PP time. I think of him as a solid defenseman who has great vision, which leads to good point totals. He definitely is not scared about carrying the puck up ice or even going end-to-end and does have above average puck skills for a defenseman, but he looks for the safe play first and gets back on defense as quickly as possible after a rush.
The ONLY downside he has is size. He's smart, quick, good with the puck, has good vision, is physical, and plays a very solid all-around game. If he was 6' 2", he would have been in the NHL at 21 or 22.
Great insight, thanks!

Old
04-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
No word on this since the originial rumor, eh? Strange that it seemed so likely and then seems to have disapearred.
These signings sometimes takes days (sometimes a couple of weeks) before they are officially announced.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:56 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
These signings sometimes takes days (sometimes a couple of weeks) before they are officially announced.
I believe his team is still playing in the playoffs, so even if he does have a deal in principle I can't imagine they'd announce it until the season is done.

Old
04-21-2010, 04:58 PM
ChadS

Canucks sign D Lee Sweatt

According to Finland's national broadcasting company YLE, the Canucks have signed defenseman Lee Sweatt from TPS Turku.

He had 16 points in 19 regular season games and has 8 points in 10 playoff games so far.

Link

Eliteprospect.com profile

Old
04-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerit67 View Post
According to Finland's national broadcasting company YLE, the Canucks have signed defenseman Lee Sweatt from TPS Turku.

He had 16 points in 19 regular season games and has 8 points in 10 playoff games so far.

Link

Eliteprospect.com profile
Well, we won't have to Sweatt that one out any longer

Wonder if he'll get to Winnipeg in time to help the Moose this year?

Old
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM
xtr3m

Nice. With that height he'll be our own Rafalski!

Old
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Good that it finally got done, if true. This was first rumored three weeks ago.

Could he do worse than AHLberts/Baumgartner?

Old
04-21-2010, 05:15 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Well, we won't have to Sweatt that one out any longer

Wonder if he'll get to Winnipeg in time to help the Moose this year?
His team TPS just got in to the SM-league Finals so I don't think he'll be coming over right away... And the contract hasn't been confirmed, the link says:

"According to the info gathered by YLE Sports, TPS defencemen Lee Sweatt, who's performed superbly in the SM-league playoffs, will move to the NHL after this season. The American has already signed a deal with the Vancouver Canucks."

Old
04-21-2010, 05:20 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I wonder if he got more than a 1 year deal?

Thank god he's signed finally, I'll be able to sleep soundly again.

Old
04-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Kid Canuck*

Translated Link

http://translate.google.ca/translate...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Old
04-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Tatehamma

Send a message via MSN to Tatehamma
Good, now get to LA....the game starts in 3.5 hours.

Old
04-21-2010, 07:25 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

awaiting the dreaded sweatt-funk combination

Old
04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Well he's playing in a pro league so why not bring him over; maybe he's better then Baumer.

Old
04-22-2010, 04:38 AM
CAPiTA

inb4 he's awesome in NHL 10.

Closed Thread