HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Marleau

Old
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
any particular reason you said the ducks? have they expressed interest in a verteran defenseman?

and i dont see us getting a 2nd and 3rd for him, but i'd take it
Just speculation. They have a pretty horrible defense and Niedermayer may retire/go elsewher eleaving them with Visnovsky and Wisniewski as really the only quality defensemen who can eat up minutes.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
When I hear corsi 👇

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
It's pretty apparent that most of the posters here don't stay up late for Sharks games. Marleau is a heart and soul player. He is hard working, goes into tough places and while he has benefitted from having Thornton with him, he was a pretty good player before Thornton got to San Jose. In the playoffs, Marleau always, always outplays Thornton.

That said, he doesn't belong in New York. He's hitting that magic age when scoring totals typically start to decline. He's not a leader. And he's really not a center although he is listed as one. No matter where he signs, he will be overpaid for the next few years.

Spend the money on 2-3 mid level players to strengthen weak spots, exile Redden and let the young core grow together. 2-3 more rookies next year.
Glad finally some one else has sense on here. "Oh he's Drury part 2!" No, Marleau is one of the fastest players in the league, and has a more well polished finishing ability than Drury. The only thing they have in common, well 2 things, they are solid penalty killers and are lousy leaders.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Sometimes I'm really stunned by what my fellow Rangers fans want to do with this team...how are some of you any better than Sather???

Marleau - great in regular season, sucks in playoffs, is not a good leader!

This is all you need to know about this guy:

PLAYOFFS
06-07 - 6 points in 11 games , -5
07-08 - 8 points in 13 games, -2
08-09 - 3 points in 6 games
09-10 - 1 point in 4 games, -2

So while putting up a point per game in the regular season in 3 of those last 4 seasons, his numbers in the playoffs are not even close to that! I would not pay him $2 million, I just dont want him. We need leaders on this team, and guys who can score as well...not just guys who can score but suck in playoffs.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

I like Marleau, but there is no way he ever scores 40 goals in a Ranger uniform, maybe he would hit 30 & help Gabs get closer to 50.

It's not worth handcuffing ourselves to another huge contract when there are similar cheaper options out there.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Mason530

Let just say, he would score 40 goals every season he played for NYR, but would you accept his no-show playoff performance?

Same for Kovalchuk. Are you willing to sacrifice playoff for good regular season?

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason530 View Post
Let just say, he would score 40 goals every season he played for NYR, but would you accept his no-show playoff performance?

Same for Kovalchuk. Are you willing to sacrifice playoff for good regular season?
Uh, have you checked Kovy's stats in the POs recently...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Spend the money on 2-3 mid level players to strengthen weak spots, exile Redden and let the young core grow together. 2-3 more rookies next year.
Nailed it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't think Marleau is the answer in NY. You guys need just a total overhaul it would seem. Get a playmaking center to play with Gaborik. That should be priority number one for Rangers this season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Nailed it.
Ditto

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:20 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think Marleau is the answer in NY. You guys need just a total overhaul it would seem. Get a playmaking center to play with Gaborik. That should be priority number one for Rangers this season.
Exactly. And since we probably won't get that this season, we should just accept that we are going to be mediocre for at least another year and try to do only small upgrades (like Michalek for Redden) and implement some more rookies, so they get used to the league (Sangs and Weise, maybe Grachev).

We should absolutely not overpay for some UFA that just has to disappoint. We have to finally learn from the past and stop with this crap!

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Mason530

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Uh, have you checked Kovy's stats in the POs recently...?
Yes, but out of how many playoff games? Not only he doesn't do well in the playoffs, he has bad temperament as well.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Yes, but out of how many playoff games? Not only he doesn't do well in the playoffs, he has bad temperament as well.
so where do you get this "he doesnt do well in the playoffs" from? based off one series against us? a sample size of 4 games? Amazing.

yet based on this we'd be "sacrificing playoffs for regular season"

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM
spanman112

if anyone from the sharks i would much rather try and land Pavelski and give up draft picks (he's a RFA). But if Marleau were to come cheap i wouldn't mind him. But he won't. This was his contract year and he played his balls off so that he would land some serious cash in what will probably be his last big contract. So i would stay away unless the deal is under 4 mil per. But like i said, thats not going to happen.

But for those saying that he chokes in the playoffs ... a) half a point per game, which is about what he's getting, is pretty decent for the playoffs considering the competition ... but more importantly b) the entire team chokes in the playoffs ... not just Marleau haha.

spanman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:14 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
so where do you get this "he doesnt do well in the playoffs" from? based off one series against us? a sample size of 4 games? Amazing.

yet based on this we'd be "sacrificing playoffs for regular season"
He was invisible in the Olympics and thats the pinnacle of pressure for a Russian hockey player.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
He's 3-5-8 in 8 playoff games for his career - in other words, a point per game.

He was 1-1-2 in 4 games against the Rangers in 06-07. I'm guessing you thought he went scoreless, right? His real issue was that Avery got in his face, he lost it and took a boatload of penalties - which is why people have this enduring "he's not a playoff performer" impression. This year he's 2-4-6 in 4 games so far, which is good for top 5 in scoring in the league (very early on, I grant you) and the Devils' team lead.

Honestly, the NJ series is playing out as well as I could hope. Kovalchuk's proving he can produce in the POs, but they're looking like they'll be out in the first round. So, he won't be negotiating his contract off the back of some magical playoff streak on July 1 and he'll have (one would assume) very little loyalty to the Devils.

[Mr. Burns voice] Excellent...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 07:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Would rather they spend a fraction of that money on Matthew Lombardi.
just what we need. more 2nd liners. no to Marleau btw.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote