HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Free agency is a must.
Maybe, but there's a very specific reason why they don't really want free agency...because they're trying to maintain all these teams with relative competitive balance as much as they can. You institute free agency and that complicates their control over the league from a competitive perspective.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
KevinLin

ABC is the TV deal.

Old
01-29-2010, 12:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Nothing to Comcast? That's....kinda weird...

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-29-2010, 12:30 AM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Nothing to Comcast? That's....kinda weird...
ABC all games in HD vs. Comcast probably giving you CN at best because of the phils and other sports...probably the right move. Ensures you get in the most homes.

Old
01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
slitz

michael orozco. nice

Old
01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
ABC all games in HD vs. Comcast probably giving you CN at best because of the phils and other sports...probably the right move. Ensures you get in the most homes.
Which is available in HD...

putting it on ABC certainly gets it to more homes, though.

Old
01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Which is available in HD...

putting it on ABC certainly gets it to more homes, though.
Yeah, but the CN games always seem to suck quality wise and I rarely get CN. I live out in upper bucks and have service electric, and once in a blue moon they will give us CN for a game.

Better to go with an ABC or any of the classic stations than comcast.

Old
01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, but the CN games always seem to suck quality wise and I rarely get CN. I live out in upper bucks and have service electric, and once in a blue moon they will give us CN for a game.

Better to go with an ABC or any of the classic stations than comcast.
Eh, I'm sure ABC had the highest bid...not sure it is on there for any reason other than they were willing to spend the most on it.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:06 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Eh, I'm sure ABC had the highest bid...not sure it is on there for any reason other than they were willing to spend the most on it.
I'm not sure because it sounds like there were other factors involved. There is some kind of partnership beyond just showing the games. Don't know the specifics. But I think it may be more valuable to be the star of a channel than the fifth or sixth banana on one.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
I'm not sure because it sounds like there were other factors involved. There is some kind of partnership beyond just showing the games. Don't know the specifics. But I think it may be more valuable to be the star of a channel than the fifth or sixth banana on one.
It does, but it isn't like ABC can offer a whole lot of extraneous coverage (the way CSN can). May be that they want as much in-home coverage as possible (which network TV provides), but I'd be relatively surprised if they left much (if any) money on the table.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
KevinLin

I think they realized they wouldn't be getting that extraneous coverage anyway on CSN. Notice how little coverage the Sixers get in season compared to the eagles and phils in off season. Be better to get the Action news sports coverage to draw some casual interest and probably get the same amount of coverage that you'd get from CSN. Maybe they didn't leave much money or any money on the table, but even if they did I doubt it would have been worth it to take more money from CSN considering how they view soccer. Thanks to ESPN/ABC mothership this summer you have the World Cup AND the Union's first season on the same network. So you can take advantage of the World Cup.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Jester

Eh, if you talk to Chris Shafer he'll argue the Flyers get the shaft in favor of the Sixers (I disagree). Sixers do get relatively consistent talk on DNL, pre-game/post-game shows, and blocked out attention on Sportsnite and rise.

The Phils would certainly crowd out the Union some over the summer (and their season begins while the NHL season is getting its most attention), but for a sports team in Philly, I think it's a good thing to be within the CSN family of coverage...now, I know for a fact that CSN will be giving them some coverage (friend of mine has been writing about the team for CSN's website), but by going to ABC they're probably not going to up their presence on the website, or on the network...

Good decision? Time will tell.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
slitz

they need agoal scorer. hopefully they sign a DP that can score

Old
01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Eh, if you talk to Chris Shafer he'll argue the Flyers get the shaft in favor of the Sixers (I disagree). Sixers do get relatively consistent talk on DNL, pre-game/post-game shows, and blocked out attention on Sportsnite and rise.

The Phils would certainly crowd out the Union some over the summer (and their season begins while the NHL season is getting its most attention), but for a sports team in Philly, I think it's a good thing to be within the CSN family of coverage...now, I know for a fact that CSN will be giving them some coverage (friend of mine has been writing about the team for CSN's website), but by going to ABC they're probably not going to up their presence on the website, or on the network...

Good decision? Time will tell.
They should have signed an exclusive deal with DirecTV

Old
01-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Raffl House

As one of the founding members, and now a season ticket holder, I wanted to comment on a few things.

First -- super excited for the team. How can you not be? The SoB's have over 5000 members and counting. We have sold out various parts of the stadium and I think (hope) this will be good for the development of Chester and the surrounding areas. Included in a deal for the stadium is continued waterfront development including commercial and residential space. Personally, I would love living on the riverfront, regardless of location. The area could experience a rebirth, much like Waterfront Park provided in Trenton, NJ. If anyone can remember, that area was a complete dump 15 years ago. It is now home to a gorgeous stadium, a nightclub/restaurant, increased commercial space, a parking garage, and they have just completed several very nice townhomes in the area. Also included are major, needed improvements to Rt 1 and 295. Mind you, this is from a Double A baseball team -- MLS is bigger and better and I think we will see similar results in that area.

As far as the team goes -- how about the shrewdness of our owner staff? They acquire THREE top 10 first rounders in our draft without moving much, plus Fred, who is a semi-star in his own right and a very nice player. The other acquisitions are great -- I think you will Seitz continue his success and become an excellent goalie, Orozco seems to be a young player who can help tremendously on the blue line, and the reports on Mwanga and McInerney are solid at this point. Not to mention we have some MLS "vets" who will help with the transition for foreign and rookie players, including Thomas, Califf, Miglioranzi, and Moreno.

If you don't think these moves are exciting, then I don't know what to say. They bring in a coach with success and a determined to create a "sandpaper" type team -- lots of physical work coupled with stellar stamina will make us super dangerous.

As far as the team having long term success, I will not sit here and say it will work out and everything will be hunky-dory. I can say that our first season, you will most likely see 90% sell outs (if not higher), lots of buzz around the team, and hopefully some success on the field. A successful team does help, and it will also help if we get a young soccer star on the team somehow (think Altidore in NY scenario). I can tell you this -- the Sons of Ben will be at every game singing and chanting. It took us so very, very long to get here, and we'll be here no matter what. I'm not sitting in that section myself, but there are many people who staked a good portion of their lives into this teams success -- and we haven't played a single game yet.

Old
02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Does anyone know where to get opening day tickets? I just joined the Sons of Ben and I desperately want to get to the first game but I can't find single game tickets anywhere, just season tickets.

Old
02-12-2010, 01:05 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Does anyone know where to get opening day tickets? I just joined the Sons of Ben and I desperately want to get to the first game but I can't find single game tickets anywhere, just season tickets.
Single game aren't available yet.

Old
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Also, can I suggest adding an MLS marker to the title of this thread? It may seem stupid but a lot of people probably don't know that the Philly team is called the Union and may think there is some sort of discussion about a labor union. I ignored this thread the first time it was up on the list and I am a big soccer fan and am psyched for the team...it just didn't click. So maybe a mod can throw a tag in the title or something?

Old
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Single game aren't available yet.
Ok thanks!

Old
02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

If anyone is interested in splitting a season ticket package with someone let me know. It's $275 for the entire season in the supporters section. I can't make it to all the games so I am looking to split a seat with someone.

Old
04-18-2010, 11:04 PM
nyrmetros

How many of you are traveling to Harrison next week ?

Old
04-18-2010, 11:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Maybe, but there's a very specific reason why they don't really want free agency...because they're trying to maintain all these teams with relative competitive balance as much as they can. You institute free agency and that complicates their control over the league from a competitive perspective.
They also need everyone to have their own owner too probably. AEG and Hunt Sports own 2 teams each.

Old
04-21-2010, 07:28 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
How many of you are traveling to Harrison next week ?
Rumor is anywhere from 300 - 1000 of you will be traveling next week. any word on that?

Old
04-21-2010, 07:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Rumor is anywhere from 300 - 1000 of you will be traveling next week. any word on that?
I desperately want to but I have finals starting next week and can't. Should be a fun time. I hear RBA is pretty ridiculous.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
JSTAFF

I'm debating going up to this game. Anyone down? My car fits 5.

Closed Thread