HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL Clear Day Rosters for 2005?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
GabbyDugan

vCash: 500
AHL Clear Day Rosters for 2005?

With the NHL season officially cancelled, will the AHL still have their teams announce their Clear Day Rosters for the balance of the 2004-2005 regular season and playoffs around mid- March?

I believe the NHL trade deadline day would have been March 15th this year, and thus that day would have been the deadline for NHL teams to get down to 23 men for the last time, and the last day players would have to clear waivers . (Hence, "clear day.")

At any rate, AHL teams normally declare their Clear Day rosters at 3:00 PM on that date, consisting of 20 skaters in any combination and two goalies. After the "clear day", teams are supposed to be in an emergency situation ...have a goalie hurt or on recall, or have three skaters hurt or on recall....to use someone not on their list. (However, unsigned draft picks of an NHL parent club may sign amateur tryouts and play.)

Since AHL teams have no injury reserve list, I'm sure a few teams are carrying extra players on their rosters. With the AHL allowing 18 skaters instead of the normal 17 to dress this season, is it possible the AHL might relax the Clear Day restrictions a little? For example, there won't be any players getting recalled to the NHL after Clear Day rosters are declared, but if an AHL team has three skaters on ther Clear Day roster hurt this year, they won't be able to dress 18 skaters. (assuming there were no players signed to ATO or PTO contracts to replace the injured players.)

Also, what happens to the extra players some AHL teams have been carrying? For example, the Edmonton Road Runners roster has been around 26 players all season, so they obviously will have to leave a few of these guys off their clear day roster. Are the players not on the clear day roster allowed to practise with the AHL teams?

Old
02-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyDugan
Are the players not on the clear day roster allowed to practise with the AHL teams?
I am pretty sure they can, they just can't play for the team in the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2005, 03:56 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
With the NHL season officially cancelled, will the AHL still have their teams announce their Clear Day Rosters for the balance of the 2004-2005 regular season and playoffs around mid- March?

I believe the NHL trade deadline day would have been March 15th this year, and thus that day would have been the deadline for NHL teams to get down to 23 men for the last time, and the last day players would have to clear waivers . (Hence, "clear day.")

At any rate, AHL teams normally declare their Clear Day rosters at 3:00 PM on that date, consisting of 20 skaters in any combination and two goalies. After the "clear day", teams are supposed to be in an emergency situation ...have a goalie hurt or on recall, or have three skaters hurt or on recall....to use someone not on their list. (However, unsigned draft picks of an NHL parent club may sign amateur tryouts and play.)

Since AHL teams have no injury reserve list, I'm sure a few teams are carrying extra players on their rosters. With the AHL allowing 18 skaters instead of the normal 17 to dress this season, is it possible the AHL might relax the Clear Day restrictions a little? For example, there won't be any players getting recalled to the NHL after Clear Day rosters are declared, but if an AHL team has three skaters on ther Clear Day roster hurt this year, they won't be able to dress 18 skaters. (assuming there were no players signed to ATO or PTO contracts to replace the injured players.)

Also, what happens to the extra players some AHL teams have been carrying? For example, the Edmonton Road Runners roster has been around 26 players all season, so they obviously will have to leave a few of these guys off their clear day roster. Are the players not on the clear day roster allowed to practise with the AHL teams?
There may not be a clear day list at all though because isn't there always a roster freeze around the same time the trading deadline et all most of those in the A AREN'T affected now

Old
02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
GabbyDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
There may not be a clear day list at all though because isn't there always a roster freeze around the same time the trading deadline et all most of those in the A AREN'T affected now
Yeah, that's why I'm wondering how they are going to deal with this.

Part of the reason for declaring "clear day" rosters was to prevent non-playoff NHL teams from sending a bunch of their better players down to the AHL affiliates and giving them an unfair advantage over other AHL teams in the Calder Cup playoff race and the playoffs themselves..

This year, what is to stop an AHL team from signing some unsigned NHL'ers to PTO contracts for the rest of the season and playoffs, besides the fact that there may be insurance issues?

Seriously, though, if an RFA like Jarome Iginla or a UFA like Glen Murray wanted to sign a 25-game PTO contract for any AHL team, what would stop it ?

I believe the old NHLPA/NHL/IIHF transfer agreement did not allow players who had played in Europe after December 31 to return to North America, so I don't think the AHL is going to allow any NHL'ers who played in Europe this winter to play in the last four weeks of the AHL regular season and the AHL playoffs.

Old
02-23-2005, 10:07 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Yeah, that's why I'm wondering how they are going to deal with this.

Part of the reason for declaring "clear day" rosters was to prevent non-playoff NHL teams from sending a bunch of their better players down to the AHL affiliates and giving them an unfair advantage over other AHL teams in the Calder Cup playoff race and the playoffs themselves..

This year, what is to stop an AHL team from signing some unsigned NHL'ers to PTO contracts for the rest of the season and playoffs, besides the fact that there may be insurance issues?

Seriously, though, if an RFA like Jarome Iginla or a UFA like Glen Murray wanted to sign a 25-game PTO contract for any AHL team, what would stop it ?

I believe the old NHLPA/NHL/IIHF transfer agreement did not allow players who had played in Europe after December 31 to return to North America, so I don't think the AHL is going to allow any NHL'ers who played in Europe this winter to play in the last four weeks of the AHL regular season and the AHL playoffs.

Say w/ Glen Murray he'd have to be signed like Bergeron was to report to Providence, but I don't think the unsigned free agents aren't picking the AHL, THEY'RE picked other leagues like the UHL.

Still that transfer agreement isn't in effect you mentioned because there is no labor contract and has expired.

Closed Thread