HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Question from last night?

Old
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Question from last night?

When Howard had his mask knocked off by a shot and he made a save without his helmet on. The whistle supposed to stop play right away. If the shot that he saved without his helmet had gone in, could the referee use the intended to blow the whistle rule.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I believe the rule is that the whistle only blows if a legit scoring chance isn't immediately happening.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
petesrw

Shouldn't they blow it especially during a scoring chance, when the puck is most likely to hit a goalie's face? Why blow it at all if you don't blow it at the most dangerous time?

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesrw View Post
Shouldn't they blow it especially during a scoring chance, when the puck is most likely to hit a goalie's face? Why blow it at all if you don't blow it at the most dangerous time?
Because goalies would go Dwayne Roloson everytime it got frantic.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Interesting.

I looked into it a bit and there isn't even a rule that says the goalie has to wear a mask at all.

There have been a few occasions from what I can tell where play was not stopped and goalies had to make additional saves.

I wouldn't say it's 100% certain that they would have blown the play dead if he hadn't made the second save without the mask.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Last night Ken and Mickey said that the play couldn't be blown dead since the Wings did not have complete control of the puck or something. The puck hit Howard's mask and Stempniak immediately hit the rebound. if the rebound had gone further and was controlled by a player, the play would have been blown dead. I think they said it was "bang-bang play" or something like that.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Yes. They said something like that. They are supposed to blow straight away(?), but if it's banged in on the play(rebound or something), it would have counted.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 02:49 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Actually, this is a good question.....what about this scenario?

A Phoenix player hits Howard's mask with a wrister, the mask falls off, and the puck bounces about 15-20 ft. back where another player is winding up for a slapshot opportunity. Does the ref. blow the whistle....or if not, does the goal count if the player takes the shot and it goes in?

Also, shouldn't fans at the Joe be chanting "HOWIE" not "JIMMY"? I think we need to nip that in the butt before it's set in stone. I think Howie is the way to go.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Marky9er

In the OHL, the play would have been dead as soon as it came off. I don't think they have that rule in the NHL, though. I got a chuckle out of the whole play....I'll just peak out here....wham! That is using your head, jimmy.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
chances14

it would of counted IMO

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 03:30 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingman View Post
Actually, this is a good question.....what about this scenario?

A Phoenix player hits Howard's mask with a wrister, the mask falls off, and the puck bounces about 15-20 ft. back where another player is winding up for a slapshot opportunity. Does the ref. blow the whistle....or if not, does the goal count if the player takes the shot and it goes in?

Also, shouldn't fans at the Joe be chanting "HOWIE" not "JIMMY"? I think we need to nip that in the butt before it's set in stone. I think Howie is the way to go.
Ilitch has installed electrodes in the seats that deliver a 150 volt shock if the fan chants "HOWIE".

Clearly this is done to prevent the world from knowing that Hungry Howie's pizza is a million times better than Little Caesars....

Old
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I remember a few years ago in a Yotes game our goalie got his mask knocked off and they got scored on, it was a goal.

The rule is that the wistle blows when the puck is out of the goalies area and a scoring chance isnt happening.

If this wasnt the rule, whenever the puck would come near the goal, the mask gets flipped off.

And come on? Its not even bad, they played hockey for like 150 years without a mask

GO COYOTES!!!!!!

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:19 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I remember a few years ago in a Yotes game our goalie got his mask knocked off and they got scored on, it was a goal.

The rule is that the wistle blows when the puck is out of the goalies area and a scoring chance isnt happening.

If this wasnt the rule, whenever the puck would come near the goal, the mask gets flipped off.

And come on? Its not even bad, they played hockey for like 150 years without a mask

GO COYOTES!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure if the goalie just flipped his mask off to prevent a scoring chance they would either let the play continue or they'd blow the whistle and call him for delay of game, same as if he pushed the net off on purpose to stop a scoring chance.

Might even give the other team a penalty shot if he flipped his mask off when the other team was on a breakaway. Not sure. But it definitely wouldn't work in the goalie's favor if the ref thought he did it on purpose.