HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Datsyuk Named Selke Finalist - Third Consecutive Season (Staal, Kesler)

Old
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM
FissionFire

vCash: 500
I think this is Kesler's year to win it. People have been campaigning for him since the middle opf last season and voters might be burned out on Datsyuk.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I think this is Kesler's year to win it. People have been campaigning for him since the middle opf last season and voters might be burned out on Datsyuk.
I think Kesler would be a worthy winner but the notion of the voters getting burned out is incredibly dumb. Player X is clearly superior to Player Y but player X has won the award the last 3 years so I'll vote for the other guy just to shake it up.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think Kesler would be a worthy winner but the notion of the voters getting burned out is incredibly dumb. Player X is clearly superior to Player Y but player X has won the award the last 3 years so I'll vote for the other guy just to shake it up.
I don't think voters get burned out.
I think that it's difficult to say, with any real certainty, who is the best defensive forward in the league. And that, people will go with the guy they voted for last year, unless said player dramatically slips, or there's a buzz about someone new.

I think Kesler's Olympic tournmanet created a ton of buzz and a lot of people will switch their votes.

But let us remember this about Kesler.

He's all of PLUS ONE on a team that had a plus 25 goal differential.
Datsyuk was +17.
Staal was +19

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
That is interesting b/c I have the opposite take. We can see Pavel's takeaways quite easily and his defensive contributions, imo, are a lot easier to see and stick out more in our memory. Z's are more subtle. I imagine if you polled the Wings front office and coaching staff (off the record) who they thought was the better defensive player between the 2, then they would almost universally say it was Zetterberg. Their actions these last several years (sending him out against the other teams top line and giving him more PK responsibility than Pavel) certainly suggest that.
I agree that the takeaway ability of Datsyuk is very noticeable, but that is his only noticeable defensive quality you always see on the ice. It really depends on how you view and qualify defense. With Zetterberg I think his defensive play is more noticeable in the sense that when he is doing his amazing defensive work the opposing team is in our zone and trying to score, thus you notice when Zetterberg does something defensively cause he is preventing something in his own end.

Datsyuk on the other hand, his defense takes place often between the opposition blue line and centre ice, an area a lot of people wouldn't think of as playing defensive hockey, but equally as important to preventing offense. Babcock also said this year the only reason Datsyuk wasn't PKing is because he did not want to risk another ankle/foot injury to him, but I believe that decision was also a lot easier to make because of how well Eaves Helm and Miller were PKing.

Datsyuk also often imo makes the smarter play due to slightly better hockey sense once he stops the offense in his own end. Z will once in a while win a battle but then cough up the puck, whereas Datsyuk often can disrupt the play and then slow it down and proceed to up his speed and take it ouf of the defensive zone. It really is 2 totally different defensive styles and comes down to personal preference. Winning faceoffs in the defensive end is also a key component of good defensive hockey and Z has been atrocious this year in that regard.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post

Datsyuk on the other hand, his defense takes place often between the opposition blue line and centre ice, an area a lot of people wouldn't think of as playing defensive hockey, but equally as important to preventing offense.
Fair point.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:02 AM
nik jr

Quote:
i think it is true that voters often want to give awards to someone else, but it is a stupid behavior.

hasek was as good in '99 as he was in '97 and '98, when he won the hart, pearson and vezina, but the GMs gave joseph more 1st place votes for vezina in '99, which was, imo, completely moronic.

i think bourque could easily have won, and probably should have won, several more norris.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 03:43 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
Zetterberg is the better one on one defender and thus I think the primary reason Babs likes him to match up against the other's teams top scorer like a Crosby, cause he is so good at hounding a skilled player one on one and shutting them down.

With Datsyuk you get a completely different type of defense that really if you think about it, is so much different from the classic style of defensive forward. When Datsyuk defends a lot of times his defence takes place before the other team even reaches the offensive zone because he strips pucks often in the neutral zone or as a player just exits his own zone.

Because Zetterberg is more of the hounding type, outside of the takeaways I find that Zetterberg's defensive game is more noticeable, where Datsyuk's is more the silent type, but equally effective. Personal preference wise I think Datsyuk is the better defender, and at least this season I think Datsyuk overall was better in this regard to Zetterberg. In reality both haven't really PKed this season, thanks to the emergence of Eaves, Miller, and Helm.
Zetterberg has A LOT of subtleties to his game as well. He's really good at anticipating the play and limiting options on the defensive end. He's exceptional at positioning himself in the defensive zone where he can play the angles and take away shooting and passing lanes. But all that people notice during those many instances is Zetterberg's opponent simply moving the puck somewhere else because he can't do anything with it. When he's determined, his intelligence goes a long way when you have that kind of force that hounds guys like Thornton and Crosby. Zetterberg, when he's at the top of his game, has the intelligence to take away the options and the determination to limit his opponent's time with the puck. To me it's kind of like in boxing where a fighter cuts off the ring so that his opponent can't run away and has to deal with him.

I'm fairly sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm not an NHL hockey coach and so I don't notice every little detail in Zetterberg's game.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
In 1986, Mario Lemieux won the Pearson over Gretzky in spite of Gretzky's earth shattering 215 point season. Gretzky had won the award the 4 previous years.

I'd call that voter fatigue.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote