HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

CBC Sports Homerism

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2010, 08:14 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012 S.C. Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post
Nobody in Canada cares about the Kings eh? speak for yourself dude. I've been a Kings fan since the mid 80's and I live a short drive from TO. I could go on some profanity laced tirade right now but I will be the better man and refrain but I would like to say that there are alot more Kings fans up here than you would think. PS.. I hate the Sedins but admittedly they are damn good.
Great post. Way to shut them up

Old
04-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupgrapes View Post
Jesus man. Do you realize that literally nobody in Canada knows or cares about the Kings? Drew Doughty was on the olympic team, and that's as far as interest in the Kings goes in this country. Meanwhile the Canucks are basically Canada's team (I know people are going to dispute this) by virtue of their record. You can't possibly expect that the CBC crew is going to feel any obligation to try and call the game evenly.

That said, Hughson and Simpson are giving the Kings all sorts of credit. Obviously they won't shut up about Doughty, and they spent plenty of time talking about Simmonds, Brown, and Quick.

You don't know what you're talking about.
I don't know, most of Alberta seems to care a great deal about the Kings right now. What with all us jaded Oiler and Flames fans that would love nothing more than to see the Canucks suffer with us.

The announcing started to annoy me, and that will always be the case if you are listening to the broadcast in the region of a particular team and cheering for the other.

Old
04-22-2010, 09:52 AM
spudboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
I don't know, most of Alberta seems to care a great deal about the Kings right now. What with all us jaded Oiler and Flames fans that would love nothing more than to see the Canucks suffer with us. .
This is exactly why the CBC should not be in love with every Canadian team. Does Versus have a bias when the Caps play the Canadiens? I don't hear it, and I'm rooting for the Canadiens. The problem isn't with Vancouver coverage, it is with Canadian coverage. They automatically think that most Canadians are rooting for Vancouver. Versus doesn't assume most Americans are rooting for LA. As a matter of fact, when it comes to sports, most Americans root against LA. They really need to realize people like their own team, and just cover games unbiasedly.

BTW, I watched both local coverages when the Kings went to Edmonton and Calgary earlier this season. Edmonton announcers were homers rivalling the Ducks announcers, whining about every call. I had to mute it after the 2nd period. The Calgary announcers were very fair, even saying the Kings were getting penalties for just playing defense after some of the calls against the Kings.

Old
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Delayed Offside

to be fair, the guy doing the play by play for the canucks games originally started out as a canucks announcer and lives in the area... he has been promoted to the national game (mostly the eastern teams) for saturday night but he is very pro canucks...

personally i like him calling the games, doesn't matter who is playing but a lot of fans have complained about him being harsh on the leafs (mind you, the way way they play sometimes they deserve it and this is coming from a fan)...

i really wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it...

Old
04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
This is exactly why the CBC should not be in love with every Canadian team. Does Versus have a bias when the Caps play the Canadiens? I don't hear it, and I'm rooting for the Canadiens. The problem isn't with Vancouver coverage, it is with Canadian coverage. They automatically think that most Canadians are rooting for Vancouver. Versus doesn't assume most Americans are rooting for LA. As a matter of fact, when it comes to sports, most Americans root against LA. They really need to realize people like their own team, and just cover games unbiasedly.

BTW, I watched both local coverages when the Kings went to Edmonton and Calgary earlier this season. Edmonton announcers were homers rivalling the Ducks announcers, whining about every call. I had to mute it after the 2nd period. The Calgary announcers were very fair, even saying the Kings were getting penalties for just playing defense after some of the calls against the Kings.
While I agree with you, the thing is that CBC's playoff coverage isn't catering to the knowledgable hockey fan looking to watch good hockey regardless of who's playing. They're catering to the average Canadian who doesn't watch a game all season but becomes a "fan" during the playoffs wanting to watch "Canada's teams".

Old
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Pekkas Purse

Kings announcers are pretty fair IMO. (LA Flames Fan). Ducks announcers take it to another level. Hayward is as bad as it gets. Nothing wrong with cheering for your team.

Old
04-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
every teams announcers are homers let face it.
Not true

Old
04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
They're catering to the average Canadian who doesn't watch a game all season but becomes a "fan" during the playoffs wanting to watch "Canada's teams".
I have a lot of respect for you as a Canadian to admit that. The "there should be no hockey outside of Canada" guy on the NHL forum would have us believe that each CBC broadcast is hardwired in to each Canadian's brain.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
ROBITAILLE
In Dean I trust

I grew up outside Toronto and have been a Kings fan for over 25 years. I do agree with the broadcast it starts to annoy me after a while but I have just started to tune it out. The guys in the intermission have been pretty good. I think CBC is one of the reasons why my two most hated teams are Leafs and Canadiens.

Old
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Great Ssssssaaaaave Luongo

Old
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Hit MUTE on the tv. The end.

Old
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Foxy is a bit of a homer. . so I wouldn't go that far that our announcers (Jim Fox) aren't homers. . but they (Jim Fox) are a lot less homerish then others around the league.

Old
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Jim's a homer. Not as bad as other color analysts, but he is a homer.
I don't think he is..I mean he has his moments. But, he calls a fair game and it can be annoying sometimes. You would think he wanted the other team to win. Just my take.

Nothing beats CBC

Old
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I've been stuck in SF all week and as such I've been forced to listen to these two homers.

It will be good to be back to listen to Bob.

You would think that the Kings did not even exist, listening to these a-holes. I couldn't take it anymore, I finally had to turn the sound down.

They sure enjoyed the third period, that's for sure.
Ever watch NBC during an Olympics?

Old
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Ever watch NBC during an Olympics?
Yes and I ever have to hear Pierre McGuire say "Edso" ever again I might deafen myself.

Old
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Yes and I ever have to hear Pierre McGuire say "Edso" ever again I might deafen myself.
"PUCK POISE" "BIG STICK" "HUMAN ERASER" "SIDNEY CROSBY IS ____"

Old
04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
"PUCK POISE" "BIG STICK" "HUMAN ERASER" "SIDNEY CROSBY IS ____"
Big body presence!

Old
04-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
While I agree with you, the thing is that CBC's playoff coverage isn't catering to the knowledgable hockey fan looking to watch good hockey regardless of who's playing. They're catering to the average Canadian who doesn't watch a game all season but becomes a "fan" during the playoffs wanting to watch "Canada's teams".
This is very true. I know a lot of people who come play-off time think its "wrong" for me to not support the Canadian teams no matter what.

I'm an Oiler fan and would never and could never bring myself to cheer for any other team in the northwest regardless of what country that team resides in. That's just sports for a die-hard fan if you ask me. Would any self-respecting Yankee fan find themselves cheering for the Red-Sox when they play the Blue Jays simply because Boston is a U.S based team? I think not.

There are many Canadian hockey fans that are casual at best.

Old
04-22-2010, 01:08 PM
killermiller
Kings/Jets fan

Hughson is a lot worse than Simpson. I like Craig Simpsons insight to the game, he's knowledgable and doesn't have that asshat side to him.

Oh yeah and btw, I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Been a kings fan for 10+ years and I give a **** about the kings

Old
04-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
Hughson is a lot worse than Simpson. I like Craig Simpsons insight to the game, he's knowledgable and doesn't have that asshat side to him.

Oh yeah and btw, I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Been a kings fan for 10+ years and I give a **** about the kings
Well there we go!

Old
04-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
This is very true. I know a lot of people who come play-off time think its "wrong" for me to not support the Canadian teams no matter what.

I'm an Oiler fan and would never and could never bring myself to cheer for any other team in the northwest regardless of what country that team resides in. That's just sports for a die-hard fan if you ask me. Would any self-respecting Yankee fan find themselves cheering for the Red-Sox when they play the Blue Jays simply because Boston is a U.S based team? I think not.

There are many Canadian hockey fans that are casual at best.
While I agree with what you're saying, I don't think the comparison to American fans cheering for an American team is fitting. At the end of the day, these "Canada's teams" fans are really no different than any bandwagon fans found in any sports or any country, they just have different reasons behind their bandwagon choice.

Old
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
While I agree with what you're saying, I don't think the comparison to American fans cheering for an American team is fitting. At the end of the day, these "Canada's teams" fans are really no different than any bandwagon fans found in any sports or any country, they just have different reasons behind their bandwagon choice.
I see what you're saying.

Old
04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupgrapes View Post
Jesus man. Do you realize that literally nobody in Canada knows or cares about the Kings? Drew Doughty was on the olympic team, and that's as far as interest in the Kings goes in this country. Meanwhile the Canucks are basically Canada's team (I know people are going to dispute this) by virtue of their record. You can't possibly expect that the CBC crew is going to feel any obligation to try and call the game evenly.

That said, Hughson and Simpson are giving the Kings all sorts of credit. Obviously they won't shut up about Doughty, and they spent plenty of time talking about Simmonds, Brown, and Quick.

You don't know what you're talking about.
There's lots of commentary on this post, but what I think my fellow Kings fans forget is that there aren't enough of us to justify CBC highlighting a Kings game on the network. Most Canadians don't care about the Kings and I'm pretty sure every one of us Canadian Kings fans has had to answer the question "How did you ever become a Kings fan?" The Canucks are Canada's best shot at going anywhere in the playoffs this year and, for better or for worse, there is a strong sentiment in this country that if you don't cheer for a Canadian team come playoff time you'd better have a good reason. Pittsburg fans can justify it by being Crosby fans, now Canadian Kings fans can justify our love by cheering for Doughty. Those of you who say that CBC is catering to its market are bang on. There isn't enough genuine Kings love up here to justify covering the team on a national network (let's face it, those Alberta fans are admittedly on our bandwagon this playoff season but would much rather have their local boys knock us out). Only once we routinely become an exciting, challenging team for Canadian clubs will the Kings once again make it onto national TV. Heck, I remember in the latter part of the Gretzky years we'd only be on TV 3 or 4 times a year in Canada. Yet, somehow, you can't miss a Leafs game. Anyways, I'll end my rant on Kings TV coverage in the great white north now.

Old
04-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Shankill Butcher

If the complaint here actually is (as mentioned earlier in the thread), "They only talk about what the Canucks are doing right or wrong after whistles." Then I don't really understand why you're complaining about it. It's a national broadcast, sure. But it's the only one airing in Vancouver where, let's face it, the vast majority of the audience for CBC is. Catering to the target market is the obvious thing to do business wise.

If you want to hear more about the Kings, that's what American networks are for.

And for the record, that's not even homerism. Homerism would be showing a complete lack of enthusiasm or excitement when the Kings score. You're making Hughson sound like that dude in Buffalo.

Old
04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
Most Canadians don't care about the Kings and I'm pretty sure every one of us Canadian Kings fans has had to answer the question "How did you ever become a Kings fan?"
Really? Interesting. I would think of all the American teams, the Kings would be the easiest to understand a Canadian being a fan of...considering the whole Gretzky deal. Maybe it's been too long now, though.

Closed Thread