HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Using the toe (rather than the heel of the blade) when shooting

Old
04-22-2010, 12:17 AM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Using the toe (rather than the heel of the blade) when shooting

I have a natural tendency to do slapshots and wristshots with the toe of the stick rather than the heel.

My coach says the puck should roll along from the heel to the toe before releasing a back-handed shot (and the puck should be "spinning" after it's released), but I don't understand what is wrong with using the toe to release a slapper or wristshot.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
I have a natural tendency to do slapshots and wristshots with the toe of the stick rather than the heel.

My coach says the puck should roll along from the heel to the toe before releasing a back-handed shot (and the puck should be "spinning" after it's released), but I don't understand what is wrong with using the toe to release a slapper or wristshot.
I've posted this in here before when crying about how brittle wood is (teehee) but the puck pocket (the white line crack at the height of the puck) left here on this blade from ONE session of practicing slapshots ($25 down the drain) shows where you should be making contact.

The blue marker lines are where the puck starts and where it leaves the stick blade. The circle is where the contact is made ... I shoot great slapshots (shut up about that you flamers in here) and this is how and where it is done. Toe shots are weak shots and not a good habit to be in as well as almost guaranteeing blade breakage on composites. Think of it as not hitting a baseball on the sweet spot of a baseball bat made of wood, hitting the ball off the end of the bat will often break the bat.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-22-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 01:10 AM
HowToHockey

There are two main reasons to start with the puck near the heel

1. If you start with the puck at the heel the puck will be on the blade of your stick longer, giving you more time to put power into your shot, and more time to aim.

2. The closer the puck is to the heel the more energy gets transfered from the shaft to the puck, meaning a harder shot.

This video might help you understand

Last edited by HowToHockey: 04-22-2010 at 02:01 PM.
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Escapades

Well there is at least one guy who turned out alright shooting from the toe.

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I could see shooting off the toe for snappers or quick shots...and you'd have to have some serious wrist whip action to keep the puck flying straight and accurate. For wristers...I'd stick with the heel-to-toe, and for slappers, middle of the blade (off the toe would be very odd unless you had a different pattern/lie than most retail sticks).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapades View Post

I think you are missing the OP's situation ... he is flipping and hitting the puck with just the toe and his caoch told him not to do that because he isn't getting any power and he needs to roll the puck up the blade to make spin on it especially on his backhand. At least that was what I got from his post.

By the way that video he is not shooting SOLELY off the toe, he is drawing it back and while shooting the puck rolls up the blade to the toe and when it gets there he flicks his wrist.

This is not what the OP is talking about. The video you posted shows a basic snapshot.

Old
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post

The toe-released wristshot is more of a flick than a shot. It's good in close, but if you're taking a long wrist shot good luck getting any mustard on it.

I take my slapshots in a bit of a strange way, but it works for me. I close the blade of my stick (that is, I point the toe towards the ground). When the stick hits the ice, it's the toe of my stick that hits first. The blade position corrects itself under the flex of the stick... the shot winds up being taken from the midpoint of the blade. I can get a real howitzer off doing that... but I haven't mastered my shot accuracy (I once missed the net high and wide with a shot from the hash marks)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapades View Post
With todays snapshot you can get away with the puck closer to the blade of the stick because you pull the puck in and get it moving, then snap it.

If you watch the video the puck is already in motion when he hits it, but you still want to contact the blade closer to the middle of the blade. You will notice he pulls the puck in with the toe of his stick, but still contacts closer to the blade. Beginners should learn the basics so they understand the fundamentals of the shots

For a hard wrist shot - close to the heel
For a slapshot - between heel and middle of stick
For snapshots - middle (can move closer to toe if you get the puck going first)
Powerful backhands - Start at the heel, release from middle of blade
Quick backhands close to net - Middle of the blade to toe (easier that way to use wrist action to flick the shot)

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
The toe-released wristshot is more of a flick than a shot. It's good in close, but if you're taking a long wrist shot good luck getting any mustard on it.

I take my slapshots in a bit of a strange way, but it works for me. I close the blade of my stick (that is, I point the toe towards the ground). When the stick hits the ice, it's the toe of my stick that hits first. The blade position corrects itself under the flex of the stick... the shot winds up being taken from the midpoint of the blade. I can get a real howitzer off doing that... but I haven't mastered my shot accuracy (I once missed the net high and wide with a shot from the hash marks)
That is what you are supposed to do so congrats, you are shooting correctly.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
AIREAYE

Does it matter about the curve? I have the Bauer P92 (Sakic clone) and i shoot at the middle fo the blade rather than th eheel and I find that it works better for me. With the P106 (an open heel curve) I definately prefer to shoot from the heel so the puck can be directed easier by this curve ( my favorite btw )

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote